FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Creepiest episodes from Childhood Programmes

Creepiest episodes from Childhood Programmes

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Who remembers the creepiest episodes of our favourite childhood programmes?

An episode of Rugrats I remember called Real or Robots? was a pretty creepy episode where Tommy thinks his dad is a robot after seeing a horror movie on TV. The creepiest moment for me comes at the end just after Tommy accepts that his dad isn't a robot but after a moment, his friend Chuckie says "But what about my dad?" and they both look out the window at the stormy night sky while we hear some really creepy horror style music. Man, what a creepy way to end an episode.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

I remember another creepy episode called Ghosts from the programme Tugs where the Tugs encounter a ghostly fleet that's sailing on the waters. The foggy setting and the music sure gives this episode a creepy atmosphere.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Every episode ever of Willo The Wisp

"Every episode ever of Willo The Wisp"

Just had a look on Google and I can understand why.

By *iss SJWoman  over a year ago

Hull

The Singing Ringing Tree - anyone old enough to remember that? Scary as fuck Czech series supposedly for kids

Shadows. Supernatural stories. The one about the trees

By *dam1971Man  over a year ago

Bedford

Any of the public information films

In retrospect it would have to be Jim'll Fix It Pretty sure any episode would fit the bill.

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

Not a children's programme as such but what back in the day were called "Public Information Films" - short films they used to broadcast (often at times of childrens programmes) warning of all sorts of dangers - this one about playing in or near water with the voice of Donald Pleasance was scary as they come:

https://youtu.be/xZWD2sDRESk

By *udistnorthantsMan  over a year ago

Desborough

"The Singing Ringing Tree - anyone old enough to remember that? Scary as fuck Czech series supposedly for kids "

Definitely disturbing

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

The kid catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

"Not a children's programme as such but what back in the day were called "Public Information Films" - short films they used to broadcast (often at times of childrens programmes) warning of all sorts of dangers - this one about playing in or near water with the voice of Donald Pleasance was scary as they come:

"

I know which one you mean. I have a dvd that has hundreds of PIFs om them including that one. It also has other scary ones as well like the Protect and Survive PIFs and the rabies PIF that shows a woman at an airport with her cat in her handbag while showing quick glimpses of some kids with the disease and you only hear this horrific squealing drilling sound.

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

"The kid catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang"

Children, come out to play-ay...cherry pie and ice cream...allllll free today

God that used to send chills right through me

[Removed by poster at 20/05/19 13:49:57]

I know I am showing my age, but 'Children of the Stones' was some serious messed up children's programming in the 70's. I still have the shivers every time I ride through Avebury now..

By *udistnorthantsMan  over a year ago

Desborough

Pipkins was disturbing enough to ruin many of my childhood lunchtimes. ... Hartley Hare was just

"The Singing Ringing Tree - anyone old enough to remember that? Scary as fuck Czech series supposedly for kids

Definitely disturbing "

Have to agree with you here mate. It was the little dwarf bloke. He sure was an ugly troll.

I seem to remember the tomorrow people could be a bit scary but it's just a vague memory.

As a child I remember being emorionally scarred by episodes of Saphire & Steel

"As a child I remember being emorionally scarred by episodes of Saphire & Steel"

*emotionally

"I seem to remember the tomorrow people could be a bit scary but it's just a vague memory."

I remember that programme. There was a villain who had a love for mosquitoes.

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

Worzel gummidge was a wrong un !

By *irth.Minge.FireMan  over a year ago

Seen in far off places

Pingu pissing has always stayed with me...

By *esus H ChristMan  over a year ago

birmingham

The " nosey-bonk" character on Jigsaw freaked me out always, my younger brother has nightmares about Chocky; I recently played him the theme tune which gave him the shivers, and there was an episode of Round the Twist where a Scarecrow was alive and came through this window in the door of the lighthouse where they live. In fact that whole series had some pretty weird and freaky stuff in it

Every episode of Goosebumps and Are You Afraid Of The Dark were not only creepy but downright scary.

"The " nosey-bonk" character on Jigsaw freaked me out always, my younger brother has nightmares about Chocky; I recently played him the theme tune which gave him the shivers, and there was an episode of Round the Twist where a Scarecrow was alive and came through this window in the door of the lighthouse where they live. In fact that whole series had some pretty weird and freaky stuff in it"

Round the twist was insane! Husband and I were having this conversation yesterday. The kids on the Moomins always freaked me out. And I remember being horrified by Watership Down and the Secret of Nimh

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Dr Who, planet of the spiders with Jon Pertwee and Elizabeth Sladen as Sarah Jane, brief appearance by Tom Baker at the end as there were Dr's 3 and 4. I still have nightmares and terrified of spiders as a result.

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

"Not a children's programme as such but what back in the day were called "Public Information Films" - short films they used to broadcast (often at times of childrens programmes) warning of all sorts of dangers - this one about playing in or near water with the voice of Donald Pleasance was scary as they come:

"

Oh god that was awful

birmingham

What really scarred my childhood was an episode of Armchair Thriller an ITV series of one off plays that used to be on the TV in the early afternoon, the one in particular was called "Quiet as a Nun" the sheer terror of a seeing a faceless Nun in a rocking chair in an abandoned room......still gives me the shivers to this day

birmingham

"The " nosey-bonk" character on Jigsaw freaked me out always, my younger brother has nightmares about Chocky; I recently played him the theme tune which gave him the shivers, and there was an episode of Round the Twist where a Scarecrow was alive and came through this window in the door of the lighthouse where they live. In fact that whole series had some pretty weird and freaky stuff in it

Round the twist was insane! Husband and I were having this conversation yesterday. The kids on the Moomins always freaked me out. And I remember being horrified by Watership Down and the Secret of Nimh "

It was little mi ( spelling maybe incorrect) on Moomins that creeped me out because she used to pinch or am I just imagining that???? Whatever she freaked me out

"What really scarred my childhood was an episode of Armchair Thriller an ITV series of one off plays that used to be on the TV in the early afternoon, the one in particular was called "Quiet as a Nun" the sheer terror of a seeing a faceless Nun in a rocking chair in an abandoned room......still gives me the shivers to this day "

I remember that episode when I saw it on 100 Greatest Scary Moments. That faceless nun was pretty scary.

Was anyone reminded of that when seeing The Nun?

"What really scarred my childhood was an episode of Armchair Thriller an ITV series of one off plays that used to be on the TV in the early afternoon, the one in particular was called "Quiet as a Nun" the sheer terror of a seeing a faceless Nun in a rocking chair in an abandoned room......still gives me the shivers to this day

I remember that episode when I saw it on 100 Greatest Scary Moments. That faceless nun was pretty scary.

Was anyone reminded of that when seeing The Nun?"

Truly terrifying

"The Singing Ringing Tree - anyone old enough to remember that? Scary as fuck Czech series supposedly for kids "

Weird kids programme

Bit off-topic but Tales of the Unexpected before it became Tales of the Blatantly Obvious, could be well creepy. The Fly Catcher. Girl gets lured by a woman into a caravan. It's on YouTube and is well horrible.

"It was little mi ( spelling maybe incorrect) on Moomins that creeped me out because she used to pinch or am I just imagining that???? Whatever she freaked me out "

No I think you're right! It was the wide vacant eyes and voice that got me, like they were on a murderous trip .

"

"Ooi look,there's someone in the waater"

Reach

Throw

Wade

Row

By *anielpiercedMan  over a year ago

by the seaside

"Pipkins was disturbing enough to ruin many of my childhood lunchtimes. ... Hartley Hare was just "

Looking back at old episodes of this now and it seems really sinister almost serial killer material. The puppets were quite frankly bizarre and very creepy.

Hull

Reach

Throw

Wade

Row"

Terrifying - I had to cover my ears at the end when he said ‘I’ll be back’ but I never played near water when I was little that’s for sure

Reach

Throw

Wade

Row

Terrifying - I had to cover my ears at the end when he said ‘I’ll be back’ but I never played near water when I was little that’s for sure "

That phrase was years before The Terminator and far far creepier.

Reach

Throw

Wade

Row"

"She survived....but you drowned"

By *cgkcCouple  over a year ago

Hitchin

"What really scarred my childhood was an episode of Armchair Thriller an ITV series of one off plays that used to be on the TV in the early afternoon, the one in particular was called "Quiet as a Nun" the sheer terror of a seeing a faceless Nun in a rocking chair in an abandoned room......still gives me the shivers to this day "

Yep - shook me right up, that did.

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

Not a kids programme but the opening music of Tales of the Unexpected was scary

"Not a kids programme but the opening music of Tales of the Unexpected was scary"

I always found the opening music kind of cheery for some reason. I guess that's the idea as it's supposed to put you in a false sense of security before giving you the scares.

By *c1989Woman  over a year ago

Manchester

I remember a rainy day video that teacher in Welsh primary school used to put on.

Can't quite remember the name.

It essentially warned kids about the dangers of exploring farms as the kids who went to visit this one farm all died pretty gruesome deaths at the hands of farm machinery or Falling down wells, impaled by various tools etc.

Also wasn't there an episode of Thomas the tank where one of the engines gets bricked up into a tunnel... Not very nice at all.

The witch in Button moon used to scare my kids

Thomas the Tank Engine has a very macabre episode called "The sad story of Henry"

Henry the green engine hides inside a tunnel because he's scared the rain will ruin his paint work. When the fat controller can't get him out he threatens Henry and says “We shall take away your rails,” “And leave you here for always and always”

He has Henry bricked into the tunnel, with just his eyes peeping out. Henry is doomed to sit in the tunnel, watching the other engines.

Eventually, Henry’s paint is ruined by dirt from the tunnel, and the narrator explains that Henry deserved his punishment.

That’s how the episode ends, with Henry gazing out sadly from his prison.

"I remember a rainy day video that teacher in Welsh primary school used to put on.

It essentially warned kids about the dangers of exploring farms as the kids who went to visit this one farm all died pretty gruesome deaths at the hands of farm machinery or Falling down wells, impaled by various tools etc.

Also wasn't there an episode of Thomas the tank where one of the engines gets bricked up into a tunnel... Not very nice at all.

"

Lol yes I just posted that.

Mind you Zippy was freakish wasn't it?

"I remember a rainy day video that teacher in Welsh primary school used to put on.

"

I know exactly which you mean. That was a PIF called Apache. I think the most disturbing part was hearing that little girl's bloodcurdling screams after she drank that killer.

Hull

"Thomas the Tank Engine has a very macabre episode called "The sad story of Henry"

Henry the green engine hides inside a tunnel because he's scared the rain will ruin his paint work. When the fat controller can't get him out he threatens Henry and says “We shall take away your rails,” “And leave you here for always and always”

He has Henry bricked into the tunnel, with just his eyes peeping out. Henry is doomed to sit in the tunnel, watching the other engines.

Eventually, Henry’s paint is ruined by dirt from the tunnel, and the narrator explains that Henry deserved his punishment.

That’s how the episode ends, with Henry gazing out sadly from his prison. "

God! I’m filling up now just thinking about it - glad I’ve never seen it

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

"Mind you Zippy was freakish wasn't it?"

Google the original bungle. He was truly scary.

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

"Bit off-topic but Tales of the Unexpected before it became Tales of the Blatantly Obvious, could be well creepy. The Fly Catcher. Girl gets lured by a woman into a caravan. It's on YouTube and is well horrible."

Im currently watching re-runs of this.

"Mind you Zippy was freakish wasn't it?

Google the original bungle. He was truly scary. "

My god!

Who remembers that episode of Rugrats where Susie's sister is babysitting her, Tommy and the other kids and then the lights go out and the phones are dead so Susie and Tommy think that they're being terrorised by a monster?

The scene where her sister answers the phone and hears nothing is pretty creepy plus it's a classic Horror movie trope.

"Thomas the Tank Engine has a very macabre episode called "The sad story of Henry"

God! I’m filling up now just thinking about it - glad I’ve never seen it "

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D60YM37PLos

They brick him up at 3:40. It's very sinister.

That bloody program they made kids watch in school about what would happen if there was a nuclear bomb dropped

No wonder I had crippling anxiety through childhood

Hull

God! I’m filling up now just thinking about it - glad I’ve never seen it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D60YM37PLos

They brick him up at 3:40. It's very sinister."

Not watching that

The blue falcon in dogtanian

By *ollycouple71Couple  over a year ago

manchester

"What really scarred my childhood was an episode of Armchair Thriller an ITV series of one off plays that used to be on the TV in the early afternoon, the one in particular was called "Quiet as a Nun" the sheer terror of a seeing a faceless Nun in a rocking chair in an abandoned room......still gives me the shivers to thisay "

» Add a new message to this topic