FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Any dog trainers / dog whisperer's on here?

Any dog trainers / dog whisperer's on here?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *lloverkisser OP   Man  over a year ago

preston

One of me mutt's is getting protective. Likes to sit between people or on my son's bed and bark or growl if you come near.

I am an experienced dog owner but never had this prob. Absolute nightmare on the odd occasion a meet comes to mine

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"One of me mutt's is getting protective. Likes to sit between people or on my son's bed and bark or growl if you come near.

I am an experienced dog owner but never had this prob. Absolute nightmare on the odd occasion a meet comes to mine"

I am not an expert, a behaviorist, dog psychologist or anything else. Just a happy dog owner.

I would personally use rewards based training.

Claim the space as your own, by asking the dog to get off the bed and reward when down.

Repeat until your dog associates floor with rewards.

Then stop rewarding when your dog is on the floor as this will become the norm.

Then I would invite the dog up and back down and reward when he listens to both the up and down command.

Further from this, in regards to meets, you'll need a friend to help with the training.

So with you and your dog sitting on the bed, a friend would command your dog off the bed and reward when down. This clears the space for the friend and also claims the space. The dog will associate the friend is OK on the bed as it equals reward.

Personally on meets my dogs will be happily shut in thr snug with the radio on.

Best of luck.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

» Add a new message to this topic