Struggling badly.

Night sweats and tears.

Thoughts overwhelming.

Terror and fear.

Aching all over.

Muscles all tight.

Clenching my jaw.

My thinking not right.

Feeling the blood rushing through my body.

Unseen symptons.

Nobody else could see.

So i went to my gp.

Then burst into tears.

A big strong ex squaddie.

releasing my fears.

Put on Sertraline.

Then on cbt.

Straightened me out.

But it was not easy.

Life can get better.

Just find the key.

Anxiety is not me.

Im not anxiety.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Mine started in 2008.

I dont know why.

Perhaps something i ate ?

The ex buggered off.

Leaving me and the kids.

I'd just left the army.

Was it something i did ?

Struggling badly.

Night sweats and tears.

Thoughts overwhelming.

Terror and fear.

Aching all over.

Muscles all tight.

Clenching my jaw.

My thinking not right.

Unseen symptons.

Nobody else could see.

So i went to my gp.

Then burst into tears.

releasing my fears.

Put on Sertraline.

Then on cbt.

Straightened me out.

But it was not easy.

Life can get better.

Just find the key.

Anxiety is not me.

Im not anxiety."

This.

By *gnitemybodyWoman  over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

I have slight anxiety at the moment,I wish it would sod off.

Beautiful words OP

By *riggler90Couple  over a year ago

Essex and Dublin

I don't know why it takes guts to admit mental health problems. If I broke my arm I'd have no problem telling people telling people how it happened...

Yet trying to explain to a Doctor that I cannot drag myself out of bed in the morning and I don't know why except for the genuine feeling of impending doom and my head will not actually let me... yeah, It's almost impossible to do without tears and a panic attack.

Love to everyone that's fighting xx

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Similar circumstances OP a couple of years ago.

Some of those experiences resonate with me. I remember the night sweats and frustrated anger like yesterday.

Mental Health issues was something that always happened to other weaker people. Until it happened to me.

Sertraline helped me short term the rest I did through sheer willpower and good friends.

I feel your pain sir

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

OP, thanks for posting, and in verse.

Mine started with puberty. My teenage suicide attempts didn't make me think anything was wrong with me, then 10 years later I had a screaming breakdown at work.

Lickety came into being just after my last active suicidal phase. Finding the forum was part of my recovery. The forum is sometimes also a trigger.

I know it can make people uncomfortable hearing others talk about their mental ill-health but I also know that my openness has helped others.

It's not weakness to ask for help - it's strength.

By *stellaWoman  over a year ago

London

"OP, thanks for posting, and in verse.

Mine started with puberty. My teenage suicide attempts didn't make me think anything was wrong with me, then 10 years later I had a screaming breakdown at work.

Lickety came into being just after my last active suicidal phase. Finding the forum was part of my recovery. The forum is sometimes also a trigger.

I know it can make people uncomfortable hearing others talk about their mental ill-health but I also know that my openness has helped others.

"

"

Love you

By *andonmessMan  over a year ago

A world all of his own

"I don't know why it takes guts to admit mental health problems."

Because all too often, it's dismissed. It's not a visible injury so it's treated as someone just trying to swing the lead. Or, worse still, it's seen as a sign of weakness due to age old stigmas

Many people won't admit to suffering from mental illness through fear of it adversely affecting their employment, or prospects, or pursuits..

The worst part of having a mental illness is people expect you to behave as if you don't.

By *harliebbwWoman  over a year ago

Birmingham

"The worst part of having a mental illness is people expect you to behave as if you don't."

Don't you try and hide it. It's not like i walk up to people (whilst fighing my demons) say hi I am Charlie and list them all.

"The worst part of having a mental illness is people expect you to behave as if you don't.

Don't you try and hide it. It's not like i walk up to people (whilst fighing my demons) say hi I am Charlie and list them all. "

I agree with your sentiments (what I posted is actually a quote I noticed written on a piece of paper in a trailer for the new Joker film)

But I guard against telling people IRL about my Bipolar because I fear they'll gossip about me or use it as leverage against me if ever we disagree.

In spite of the efforts to normalise the discussion around mental health I've never really ever told anyone beyond my family and very select friends who have disclosed their own struggles first.

Unfortunately I still don't feel safe enough to disclose my diagnosis even to those who probably should know because it's still taboo.

Mine got really bad at 43 I started exercising all the time ,I wouldn’t eat if I did I’d make myself sick I kept on until I was under 9 stone I’m 6’2.

I got threatened with being sectioned twice I waited 9 months to see a counciler had two years therapy and I’m not bad now,still don’t like myself much but you can’t have everything.

The worst bit is if you have cancer people understand if you have mental health issues people look at you like there’s something wrong.

When I was ill people asked me why I had a women’s disease and one person even asked me if I had aids.

Now I have a lot of time for people who suffer never be afraid to ask for help!

Sorry about the rant .

"Mine got really bad at 43 I started exercising all the time ,I wouldn’t eat if I did I’d make myself sick I kept on until I was under 9 stone I’m 6’2.

I got threatened with being sectioned twice I waited 9 months to see a counciler had two years therapy and I’m not bad now,still don’t like myself much but you can’t have everything.

The worst bit is if you have cancer people understand if you have mental health issues people look at you like there’s something wrong.

When I was ill people asked me why I had a women’s disease and one person even asked me if I had aids.

Now I have a lot of time for people who suffer never be afraid to ask for help!

Sorry about the rant ."

Big hug, mate.

I just feel sorry for those who can't even bring themselves to show empathy - more fool them.

This is a beautiful thread. Thank you OP.

I had a meltdown in therapy today. Then I read this and suddenly I don't feel so alone xx

"This is a beautiful thread. Thank you OP.

I had a meltdown in therapy today. Then I read this and suddenly I don't feel so alone xx"

Big hug and lots of love - remember that this too shall pass x

Be well

Thanks mate I’m good now would help anyone that’s been through it

By *234 hot sairaTV/TS  over a year ago

west midland

"Mine started in 2008.

I dont know why.

The ex buggered off.

Leaving me and the kids.

I'd just left the army.

Was it something i did ?

Struggling badly.

Night sweats and tears.

Thoughts overwhelming.

Terror and fear.

Aching all over.

Muscles all tight.

Clenching my jaw.

My thinking not right.

Unseen symptons.

Nobody else could see.

So i went to my gp.

Then burst into tears.

releasing my fears.

Put on Sertraline.

Then on cbt.

Straightened me out.

But it was not easy.

Life can get better.

Just find the key.

Anxiety is not me.

Im not anxiety."

xx

Cognitive behavioural therapy, go for long walks in picturesque places, get outside as much as you can. Take up gardening to nurture something and see it grow, get a dog, try yoga or even meditation..... Any of these things could help. Hugs to you OP, hugs make things seem alittle less beak, even if its fleeting x

By *eandHim2019Couple  over a year ago

preston

It's hard work, pretending to be upbeat all the time. I battle with my mind everyday, it tries it's hardest to ruin me. Even though I'm happy with my life. I question it and what's going to go wrong.

Hugs to everyone out there that needs it. Ur never alone xxx

Nadiya - Anxiety and Me is on BBC1 now.

My thought for today: Don't ignore/neglect your own well-being if you care for someone experiencing mental ill-health.

It's hard watching those you love in pain. Really hard when it's mental pain and the rest of the world tells you to let them get on with it or you can't talk about it with others because of the stigma.

Thank you for your support and I hope that I repay it when I am well.

"Mine started in 2008.

I dont know why.

The ex buggered off.

Leaving me and the kids.

I'd just left the army.

Was it something i did ?

Struggling badly.

Night sweats and tears.

Thoughts overwhelming.

Terror and fear.

Aching all over.

Muscles all tight.

Clenching my jaw.

My thinking not right.

Unseen symptons.

Nobody else could see.

So i went to my gp.

Then burst into tears.

releasing my fears.

Put on Sertraline.

Then on cbt.

Straightened me out.

But it was not easy.

Life can get better.

Just find the key.

Anxiety is not me.

Im not anxiety."

Only just seen this and bumping up for those that missed it and may need to read it. Finding the key is the key. Thank you OP.

It's OK not to be OK!

Talk, reach out, you're not alone.

"

This is spot on! It's not a weakness to ask for help. It's a strength

"My thought for today: Don't ignore/neglect your own well-being if you care for someone experiencing mental ill-health.

It's hard watching those you love in pain. Really hard when it's mental pain and the rest of the world tells you to let them get on with it or you can't talk about it with others because of the stigma.

"

Thankyou for highlighting carers, family, friends, who are going through this as this is my situation and I have to make sure I look after my mental health which is being affected all of the time doing what I do and is very isolating.

"My thought for today: Don't ignore/neglect your own well-being if you care for someone experiencing mental ill-health.

Thankyou for highlighting carers, family, friends, who are going through this as this is my situation and I have to make sure I look after my mental health which is being affected all of the time doing what I do and is very isolating. "

Don't think you are neglecting your loved one if you take time out and ask for help. Mental ill-health is very selfish.

"

Xxxx

By *inkerbell67Woman  over a year ago

Clacton on sea essex

I've borderline personality disorder, depression and anxiety it's not helped with my mum dieing 3 weeks ago ,every day is a struggle at the moment..

"I've borderline personality disorder, depression and anxiety it's not helped with my mum dieing 3 weeks ago ,every day is a struggle at the moment.."

I'm sorry for your loss. It's hard losing a parent, at the best of times. Allow yourself to grieve and don't get caught up in beating yourself up about feeling depressed and anxious.

I hope you have some moments of peace.

It's kind of sad that we've had to dedicate a week to mental health awareness for 28 years now and society still isn't any closer to being more understanding towards it. Actually it's kind of sad we even have to dedicate a week to it at all.

I suffer from depression myself and to be honest I very rarely talk about it to friends or family because whenever I used to open up about it, I just got ignored or told to man up or to stop feeling sorry for myself.

Thing is when my sister got diagnosed with depression I was told not to say anything that might ''wind her up'' so to speak, yet they don't seem to have that kind of consideration for me. She gives me grief every day and no one pipes up about it, despite knowing it actually affects me.

I lost my sister last yeear in may, she was an acholic and had other mental health issues.

My nieces tried to phone the authorities that they she had been uncontactable, he police went to hr house on the saturday, they said she was 'ok' two days later after another call they found her dead.

My sister has 5 children of the ages of 13-22...

I my sister even worked in mental health as i did

I find everything a joke now when it comes to mental health 'awareness'

I wish i could have been been here for my sister, and this is no lie, every day I cannot see a year yas passed on her death, i barely believe it is still true.

I wish this on nobody ever, i never understood loss, and it has really impacted my life more than i ever thought x

LOVE that you posted this OP!! I have bipolar disorder, I am also a nurse. Yes it's so hard admitting to yourself & others that you may have a problem BUT it's the strongest and best thing you can do for yourself! It's so,so common...1 in 4 of us will suffer at some point. Ask for help if you have an issue, it's the start of feeling better and you will inspire others along the way x

"The worst part of having a mental illness is people expect you to behave as if you don't."

So true x

"LOVE that you posted this OP!! I have bipolar disorder, I am also a nurse. Yes it's so hard admitting to yourself & others that you may have a problem BUT it's the strongest and best thing you can do for yourself! It's so,so common...1 in 4 of us will suffer at some point. Ask for help if you have an issue, it's the start of feeling better and you will inspire others along the way x"

i was also a psyche nurse, i never was a its them and us thing. I loved nursing(in my field), i hate the awful thhings that happen, but I know it's a small percentage oof what actually happens.

but my sister was failed and the police have effectively washed their hands of a duty of un-care, which I am disgusted with, as a ex-mental health professional.

"The worst part of having a mental illness is people expect you to behave as if you don't.

So true x"

i do feel guilt , but my sister was expecting her first grand son, she has her first grand daughter from 2016.

myneice has her son just days before her birthday, she is the closest to all her daughters, the one that needed her most and needs her now (her boys a great wee lad but her mum like my mum can never cope)

I dunno, I am the eldest of all my family..but I think...i barely cling on to life not knowing I have anyone that is me, and one that can make what I want to be more.

I am near 50 and I dont understand this pure love thing...i hate it.

So true x

i do feel guilt , but my sister was expecting her first grand son, she has her first grand daughter from 2016.

my niece has her son just days before her (mothers)birthday, she is the closest to all her daughters, the one that needed her most and needs her now (her boys a great wee lad but her mum like my mum can never cope)

I dunno, I am the eldest of all my family..but I think...i barely cling on to life not knowing I have anyone that is me, and one that can make what I want to be more.

I am near 50 and I dont understand this pure love thing...i hate it.

"

I will add my ex(long term), has a few sons..they have known me from early years I was so pleased one of my wee pals asked me to come and tell people that i was a professional photographer (my heart sank wen i said i just do it as a hobby and wished i didnt)

"LOVE that you posted this OP!! I have bipolar disorder, I am also a nurse. Yes it's so hard admitting to yourself & others that you may have a problem BUT it's the strongest and best thing you can do for yourself! It's so,so common...1 in 4 of us will suffer at some point. Ask for help if you have an issue, it's the start of feeling better and you will inspire others along the way x

i was also a psyche nurse, i never was a its them and us thing. I loved nursing(in my field), i hate the awful thhings that happen, but I know it's a small percentage oof what actually happens.

but my sister was failed and the police have effectively washed their hands of a duty of un-care, which I am disgusted with, as a ex-mental health professional.

"

Oh it's so wrong I know. As you know, this government is slashing mental health services so it can be a real struggle getting the right help when u need it..we just gotta try...I found my best support came from loved ones and even acquaintances I opened up to... the NHS were shit to me as a place of work, I got fired for having too much time off with depression! But all that has made me much stronger. Thank God mental health is being talked about more and more these days, I really do feel that the stigma is reducing x

"LOVE that you posted this OP!! I have bipolar disorder, I am also a nurse. Yes it's so hard admitting to yourself & others that you may have a problem BUT it's the strongest and best thing you can do for yourself! It's so,so common...1 in 4 of us will suffer at some point. Ask for help if you have an issue, it's the start of feeling better and you will inspire others along the way x

"

Why did you stop nursing?

Big hugs Paddy xxxxx

By *Man1263Man  over a year ago

Stockport

It's why I have said on many threads, if you need a chat and a hug, here for people.

Never done it as a job, but we all have bad times and sometimes, a total stranger is the right person to talk too!

I have mates I can open up to, have a proper hug and hour long talks.

If your needing that, feel free to contact me, it might help, it might not.

But don't suffer in silence, take advantage of offers of support and build a network of people you can talk to and hug.

Good, well done OP. Lots of useful stuff on the BBC this week too.

It's Alastair Campbell about his depression tonight.

"It's Alastair Campbell about his depression tonight.

"

The 'therapy' that works best for him is the good old jam jar. A forum favourite.

The 'therapy' that works best for him is the good old jam jar. A forum favourite.

"

The notes in a jar?

By *llaboutthewifeCouple  over a year ago

Cardiff

Don't you try and hide it. It's not like i walk up to people (whilst fighing my demons) say hi I am Charlie and list them all.

I agree with your sentiments (what I posted is actually a quote I noticed written on a piece of paper in a trailer for the new Joker film)

But I guard against telling people IRL about my Bipolar because I fear they'll gossip about me or use it as leverage against me if ever we disagree.

In spite of the efforts to normalise the discussion around mental health I've never really ever told anyone beyond my family and very select friends who have disclosed their own struggles first.

Unfortunately I still don't feel safe enough to disclose my diagnosis even to those who probably should know because it's still taboo."

You can overcome bipolar. I know. Its hard. But you can.

X

The notes in a jar? "

Yes.

» Add a new message to this topic