FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > As a Brit what do you love about Britain ?

As a Brit what do you love about Britain ?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

What do you love about Britain ??

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

French Fries.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Our brilliant wonderful Tory led government.

getting out of it.

Im a aussie living in the UK for 18 years so that kinda makes me legit to reply in here, my answer is the rain lol

By *eorge17Man  over a year ago

Leven

The NHS

By *priteyMan  over a year ago

Hitchin

The changeable weather

fISH AND CHIPS ... and post office , lol I think thay do a good job well around here thay do .

- A relatively broadminded society (at least here in Manchester) .

- Universal healthcare

- Cornish beaches

- Yorkshire dales

- Chips

- Hardly any earthquakes, typhoons, monsoons, plagues of locusts etc.

Dogging !!!!

"Dogging !!!! "
lolol do thay only do this in UK ?? WOW X

Never had the guts to try anywhere else !!!! lol...

Manchester airport out runway

Unfortunately it's been a few years since I saw it xx

Our beautiful scenery, whatever anyone says there are some fantastic places to visit in Britain. But the best has to be the good old British sense of humour

ive lived all over the world, but always end up back here, as good as everywhere else is theres no place like blighty

I like the British people but apart from that i'm not keen on Britain anymore.

Tony

fish and chips alfresco...golden wonder cheese'n'onion crisps...and our healthy skeptical attitude to the pompous and pretentious

I'm struggling...

"I'm struggling..."
I sure you will come up with somthing soon , lol We do make good beer , lol

The way we love an underdog

The countryside and old houses.

Used to hate Britain until we lived abroad for a spell. It wasn't until then that I realised all that we take for granted in this country. The NHS has to be the top of the list, flawed as it is x

Queues - so very civilised

"The changeable weather "

+1

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

Our armed forces...

Our national health system...

The fact that our police are not routinely armed...

Our supermarkets and the competion amongst them that keeps food prices down...

Our ethnic diversity...

Fish and chips...

"Used to hate Britain until we lived abroad for a spell. It wasn't until then that I realised all that we take for granted in this country. The NHS has to be the top of the list, flawed as it is x"
your right when i go away to some places on holiday i get home think thank god .. I do feel safe here some places i dont. x

Indian curries

"Indian curries"
Yes us English love it almost as much as fish and chips , lol

By *lubPartyPeepsCouple  over a year ago

London

Very little right now

And am certainly not looking forwards to returning to the weather on Sunday!!

"Very little right now

And am certainly not looking forwards to returning to the weather on Sunday!!"

its gone very cold but spring is around the corner xx flowers and sun be up soon xx

By *lubPartyPeepsCouple  over a year ago

London

On second thoughts I am being unfair, there is loads I do like about it.... but the weather is all I can think about right now!!!

By *urreyfun2008Man  over a year ago

East Grinstead

"Our armed forces...

Our ethnic diversity...

Fish and chips...

"

A very good summary, as others have said you need to be away from the UK to miss things.

My fav is getting on BA flight back from US after a few weeks there, and having a cup of tea. It may be on a plane but is vastly better than I can find in the US.

"Our armed forces...

Our ethnic diversity...

Fish and chips...

A very good summary, as others have said you need to be away from the UK to miss things.

My fav is getting on BA flight back from US after a few weeks there, and having a cup of tea. It may be on a plane but is vastly better than I can find in the US. "

yes me too tea is just not the same when out of the uk.

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Curry!

"Our armed forces...

Our ethnic diversity...

Fish and chips...

My fav is getting on BA flight back from US after a few weeks there, and having a cup of tea. It may be on a plane but is vastly better than I can find in the US. yes me too tea is just not the same when out of the uk."

We always look fwd to a cuppa when coming home and an all day breakfast at a Little chef !!!!!

NHS

Tea

The diversity of food

Traditional Pubs

Countryside

TV comedies

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple  over a year ago

hexham

The beauty

The custom of offering a brew to visitors

the good manners(seriously travel a bit)

The nhs

the tv

the diversity

the coastline

BBc radio

the newspapers

I'd say that when the shit hits the fan then the majority of true Brits stand shoulder to shoulder.

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"I'd say that when the shit hits the fan then the majority of true Brits stand shoulder to shoulder."
or in soapys case shoulder to hip

"I'd say that when the shit hits the fan then the majority of true Brits stand shoulder to shoulder."
yes i would think your right x lol

So many mentions for the NHS. I wonder how many would have mentioned it had we not had the discussion about it.

For me, I love Britian because I'm British.

" What do you love about Britain ?? "

Said it before and I'll say it again - check out The Kinks - We are Village Green Preservation Society - says everything about being British - well, English perhaps? Goosepimples everytime I hear it - but the live version circa 1973 on youtube is best. We are the Sherlock Holmes English speaking vernacular...lol!

This

An incident occurred in a supermarket recently when the following was witnessed: A Muslim woman dressed in a Burkha (black gown & face mask) was standing with her shopping in a queue at the checkout. When it was her turn to be served , and as she reached the cashier, she made a loud remark about the British Flag lapel ...pin which the female cashier was wearing on her blouse. The cashier reached.... ...............up and touched the pin and said, 'Yes , I always wear it proudly. My son serves abroad with the forces and I wear it for him. The Muslim woman then asked the cashier when she was going to stop bombing and killing her countrymen explaining that she was Iraqi. At that point an elderly gentleman standing in the queue stepped forward and interrupted with a calm, gentle voice, and said to the Iraqi woman: 'Excuse me, but hundreds of thousands of British men and women, just like this lady's son, have fought and sacrificed their lives so that people just like YOU can stand here in Britain, which is OUR country and allow you to blatantly accuse an innocent check-out cashier of bombing YOUR countrymen. It is my belief that if you were allowed to be as outspoken as that in Iraq, which you claim to be YOUR country, then we wouldn't need to be fighting there today. However, now that you have learned how to speak out and criticize the British people who have afforded you the protection of OUR country, I will gladly pay the cost of a ticket to help you pay your way back to Iraq. When you get there and if you manage to survive for being as outspoken as what you are here in Britain, then you should be able to help straighten out the mess which YOUR Iraqi countrymen have got you into in the first place, which appears to be the reason that you have come to OUR country to avoid'. Apparently, the queue cheered and applauded.

I love the green landscape and the fact we don't all have guns in our houses.

By *andKCouple  over a year ago

Norfolk

that wwe don't have extremes of weather, when ever I come home from abroad I think of Englands green and pleasant land

Our freedom and diversity, and our beautiful countryside

By *aceytopWoman  over a year ago

from a town near you

"Our armed forces...

Our supermarkets and the competion amongst them that keeps food prices down... all of the above and

the yorkshire dales

wouldnt want to live anywhere else

Our ethnic diversity...

Fish and chips...

"

hexham

thats true of every country tho,

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

As a yank for this conversation there are two things....

This queuing thing that you lot seem to have gotten down to an art form..

Also the fact that you lot say sorry for everything even though it is not your fault...

"Our freedom and diversity, and our beautiful countryside "

.... and Scottish weather, where else in the world can you get all four seasons in one day?!

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

"So many mentions for the NHS. I wonder how many would have mentioned it had we not had the discussion about it.

For me, I love Britian because I'm British."

Many people are very proud of the NHS. It doesn't need a particular debate to bring that to the forth.

Loving a country just because you're born/live there seems weird to me.

Wellies ........ I love our wellies.

"This

An incident occurred in a supermarket recently when the following was witnessed: A Muslim woman dressed in a Burkha (black gown & face mask) was standing with her shopping in a queue at the checkout. When it was her turn to be served , and as she reached the cashier, she made a loud remark about the British Flag lapel ...pin which the female cashier was wearing on her blouse. The cashier reached.... ...............up and touched the pin and said, 'Yes , I always wear it proudly. My son serves abroad with the forces and I wear it for him. The Muslim woman then asked the cashier when she was going to stop bombing and killing her countrymen explaining that she was Iraqi. At that point an elderly gentleman standing in the queue stepped forward and interrupted with a calm, gentle voice, and said to the Iraqi woman: 'Excuse me, but hundreds of thousands of British men and women, just like this lady's son, have fought and sacrificed their lives so that people just like YOU can stand here in Britain, which is OUR country and allow you to blatantly accuse an innocent check-out cashier of bombing YOUR countrymen. It is my belief that if you were allowed to be as outspoken as that in Iraq, which you claim to be YOUR country, then we wouldn't need to be fighting there today. However, now that you have learned how to speak out and criticize the British people who have afforded you the protection of OUR country, I will gladly pay the cost of a ticket to help you pay your way back to Iraq. When you get there and if you manage to survive for being as outspoken as what you are here in Britain, then you should be able to help straighten out the mess which YOUR Iraqi countrymen have got you into in the first place, which appears to be the reason that you have come to OUR country to avoid'. Apparently, the queue cheered and applauded."

What is the source of this story please.

If it was The Sun/Express/Mail etc we might have to ask for further evidence it did not take place just in Paul Dacre's fevered imagination. Thanks!

"This

An incident occurred in a supermarket recently when the following was witnessed: A Muslim woman dressed in a Burkha (black gown & face mask) was standing with her shopping in a queue at the checkout. When it was her turn to be served , and as she reached the cashier, she made a loud remark about the British Flag lapel ...pin which the female cashier was wearing on her blouse. The cashier reached.... ...............up and touched the pin and said, 'Yes , I always wear it proudly. My son serves abroad with the forces and I wear it for him. The Muslim woman then asked the cashier when she was going to stop bombing and killing her countrymen explaining that she was Iraqi. At that point an elderly gentleman standing in the queue stepped forward and interrupted with a calm, gentle voice, and said to the Iraqi woman: 'Excuse me, but hundreds of thousands of British men and women, just like this lady's son, have fought and sacrificed their lives so that people just like YOU can stand here in Britain, which is OUR country and allow you to blatantly accuse an innocent check-out cashier of bombing YOUR countrymen. It is my belief that if you were allowed to be as outspoken as that in Iraq, which you claim to be YOUR country, then we wouldn't need to be fighting there today. However, now that you have learned how to speak out and criticize the British people who have afforded you the protection of OUR country, I will gladly pay the cost of a ticket to help you pay your way back to Iraq. When you get there and if you manage to survive for being as outspoken as what you are here in Britain, then you should be able to help straighten out the mess which YOUR Iraqi countrymen have got you into in the first place, which appears to be the reason that you have come to OUR country to avoid'. Apparently, the queue cheered and applauded.

If it was The Sun/Express/Mail etc we might have to ask for further evidence it did not take place just in Paul Dacre's fevered imagination. Thanks! "

That story has been doing the rounds for about nine years now, originated in America, I think. Has popped up in Australia China etc.

hexham

"This

If it was The Sun/Express/Mail etc we might have to ask for further evidence it did not take place just in Paul Dacre's fevered imagination. Thanks!

That story has been doing the rounds for about nine years now, originated in America, I think. Has popped up in Australia China etc. "

If i thought this story were true i would have to remove good manners from my list.

London

I like the way the old chap speaks in a quiet, calm voice complete with CAPITALS every few LINES.

Also enjoyable is the spin that the only reason we invaded Iraq was for the good of the Iraqi people.

hexham

"So many mentions for the NHS. I wonder how many would have mentioned it had we not had the discussion about it.

Many people are very proud of the NHS. It doesn't need a particular debate to bring that to the forth.

Loving a country just because you're born/live there seems weird to me."

Borderline fascist to me...and the nhs tops most surveys about the greatest things about britain.

Indian take away

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

pie mash and liquer, and my pops has just bought some of the best back from Dagenham mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

"

Borderline fascist to me..."

Err, hang on. Please don't bandy around terms like fascist.

If the sentence was "I love Britain because I am British and therefore think everywhere else is inferior and I hate foreigners" then yes, pretty fascistic but maybe he really likes other places as well but Britain is his favourite because he is a product of its society?

By *amslam1000Man  over a year ago

willenhall

After the first gulf war getting on a RAF VC10, and just as the wheels had left the runway out of saudi, a senior RAF officer passing out cans of bankses bitter and saying thank you boys.

Cricket (though that might be more an English thing), tea, the language (I think English is, if not the most beautiful, then the most exciting, varied and versatile language in the world) , the fact that we stopped having civil wars and just take the piss out of each constituent portion, our Constitution, our massively varied architecture (Liverpool and Manchester got big 50 years apart so they are very different, an example) are just a few......

There must be something good about Britain, every bugger want to come here.....

hexham

"

Borderline fascist to me...

Err, hang on. Please don't bandy around terms like fascist.

If the sentence was "I love Britain because I am British and therefore think everywhere else is inferior and I hate foreigners" then yes, pretty fascistic but maybe he really likes other places as well but Britain is his favourite because he is a product of its society?

"

i only had the one line to go on, unquestioning love of a country simply because it is your homeland is one of the tennants of fascism. Your analysis is not contained in the original sentence, but is your extrapolation

Borderline fascist to me...and the nhs tops most surveys about the greatest things about britain."

That's a strong word to use to describe a patriot. I'm wondering if you understand what a fascist is?

Well, I don't love america, nor do I love australia, don't love china, nor do I love france, and Cuba's not my girlfriend either. In fact, I don't love another country at all. I love Britain.

It's come to something if one can't say one loves one's own country without being labelled a wierdo or a fascist.

and once again ... a really nice thread turns

..... our freedom of speech.

London

Didn't say I found it weird to love your country but that it doesn't make much sense to love your country just because you're from there.

There are lots of reasons to feel grateful and proud to live in Britain, but just the accident of being born here doesn't seem like a good one to me.

"and once again ... a really nice thread turns"

I only said I love being British and love being from Britain.

"

i only had the one line to go on, unquestioning love of a country simply because it is your homeland is one of the tennants of fascism. Your analysis is not contained in the original sentence, but is your extrapolation "

Well if it is one the tennants of fascism perhaps we should evict it in favour of a tenet...

Sarcasm aside, it's sad you also do the extrapolation that love of one's home country for simply being one's home country ergo facto leads to fascism.

By *un_JuiceCouple  over a year ago

Nr Chester

Obviously not through the board but ...

-Close knit communities.

-Dialects & accents in short distances -from one another.

-Great cities,contryside,sea surrounded.

-Our language.

-Norman Wisdom

-Carry On films

-Prim english rose ladies

That reminds me...

Will Hay, Tommy Cooper, Les Dawson, Joyce Grenfell, Alistair Sims, Alec Guinness

Morecambe & Wise.

donna & kebab

Stan Laurel.

Love the autumn colours of the countryside

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

"

Also the fact that you lot say sorry for everything even though it is not your fault..."

Sorry, I was just gonna post that

HM Liz and HRH Phil

Wastwater at dusk

Been all over the world many times and still find the British countyside,Its diverse accents and its history the best in the world. It will always be home.

hexham

"Didn't say I found it weird to love your country but that it doesn't make much sense to love your country just because you're from there.

There are lots of reasons to feel grateful and proud to live in Britain, but just the accident of being born here doesn't seem like a good one to me.

"

my point exactly

By *ixson-BallsMan  over a year ago

Blackpool

....as long as I abide by its laws...then i have the freedom to live my life as I choose....

good old Great Britain, and god bless her qwerkiness and eccentricities....

now be up standing for a rousing rendition of "God save the Queen"

"Didn't say I found it weird to love your country but that it doesn't make much sense to love your country just because you're from there.

my point exactly

"

Why didn't you say that then, instead of calling me a fascist??

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

"Our freedom and diversity, and our beautiful countryside

.... and Scottish weather, where else in the world can you get all four seasons in one day?! "

Wales

By *landPeggyCouple  over a year ago

Holland !

Remember going to an English hospital after a rather interesting night to inquire if a friend of mine would ever walk again, he'd broken both of his legs and I wanted to know if he'd ever walk again before informing his family.

Never forget the smile on the nurses face when she said "well, normally he'd be on crutches in six weeks, but he's broken an arm as well".

Yep, British nurses.

Solihull

The hot Ladies

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

tolerance

and the fact that if you earn the average salary (£26k), you're among the wealthiest 4 per cent of people on the planet

so there's an awful lot of places that are worse off then these islands

Solihull

there are an awful lot of places worse off than here but does the £26000 take account of the cost of living and what disposable income thats left from that after living expenses

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

"Our freedom and diversity, and our beautiful countryside

.... and Scottish weather, where else in the world can you get all four seasons in one day?!

Wales "

Cumbria too

Do you know in some villiges you can still find red phone boxes in Norfolk and working and not smelling of pee , lol love our read phone boxes ..

Hmmm, OK, which one of you Welsh, Scots or Irish Fab members has been messing with the internet?

type "define an English person" without the quotation marks into Google and see the first result.

"Hmmm, OK, which one of you Welsh, Scots or Irish Fab members has been messing with the internet?

type "define an English person" without the quotation marks into Google and see the first result.

"

LOL thats amazing

the British passion

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

The weather.

By *ondafirestormMan  over a year ago

heckington

All of it,be proud to be british

heckington

26k? woulnt get out of bed for that lol

being a Midwife in Britain is the best, no where can you have care from a midwife before during and after the birth, for free, in most other countries, the midwife provides the care for hours on end then the Doc swoops in at the end and dons his gloves to catch the baby! i think the UK is the only place Midwives truly care for women through the whole experience

"26k? woulnt get out of bed for that lol"

i think that was the point, 26k of benefits, as per the news this week

heckington

oh really 26 k benifits,jesus i better go sick lol

heckington

Anyway shouldnt you be sorting your frozen pipes out lol

To be honest theres many things about this country we can moan about but we dont get earthquakes that kill people by the thousands, we dont get tsunami that wipe out half the country, suffer from floods or famine, we may get the odd tremor and a bit of heavy rain or the odd river that spills its banks but over all we cant moan

By *usup4funsouthMan  over a year ago

tidworth

I love my country proud of it. May not be perfect but its a place I call home. How's everyone? everyone have a good night? X

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"I love my country proud of it. May not be perfect but its a place I call home. How's everyone? everyone have a good night? X"
tickety boo thank you....

tidworth

I love my country proud of it. May not be perfect but its a place I call home. How's everyone? everyone have a good night? X. tickety boo thank you.... . Awww that's good ya have a good day? Xx

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"I love my country proud of it. May not be perfect but its a place I call home. How's everyone? everyone have a good night? X. tickety boo thank you.... . Awww that's good ya have a good day? Xx "
I have thanks.....nice to see smiley happy person...

"I love my country proud of it. May not be perfect but its a place I call home. How's everyone? everyone have a good night? X. tickety boo thank you.... . Awww that's good ya have a good day? Xx "

Good ta hope ya well and welcome ta Fab xx

By *oystaMan  over a year ago

Liverpool Tuebrook

absolutely everything ...well apart from this government but especially our Ladies and our Pubs

tidworth

"I love my country proud of it. May not be perfect but its a place I call home. How's everyone? everyone have a good night? X. tickety boo thank you.... . Awww that's good ya have a good day? Xx I have thanks.....nice to see smiley happy person..."
awww I always try smile . Nice to hear ya have got anything planned for weekend. Jus got me bros bday xx

By *uby In StockingsTV/TS  over a year ago

Cheadle

It's only when you leave Britain even for a short time that you realise just how lucky we are compared to many other countries, hugz, xxxxxx

hexham

"Do you know in some villiges you can still find red phone boxes in Norfolk and working and not smelling of pee , lol love our read phone boxes .. "

got them here too, they do look lovely

hexham

my point exactly

Why didn't you say that then, instead of calling me a fascist?? "

because eveything you write suggests you belong to the intolerant,unthinking far right...i dont call u a fascist,your words do

"...i dont call u a fascist,your words do "

I am sure Wishy can speak for himself, and he's a Tory and I would probably lump him in with people like Iain Dale, and maybe his "facts and figures" are as shaky as Tony Blair's grasp on truth so he is a wind-up merchant but to call him a fascist is ridiculous. Christ, what does that make Nick Griffin?

It's this casual tossing out of the fascist label that gobshites like Laurie Penny do on a regular basis.

I certainly would not lump you in with her.

my point exactly

because eveything you write suggests you belong to the intolerant,unthinking far right...i dont call u a fascist,your words do "

How does loving my country make me intolerant and unthinking? This is just the kind of rhetoric that New Labour espoused to anyone who tried to stand up for Britian, they were labelled fascists, or Little Britain.

It strikes me that you are far more intolerant than I for the simple reason that you do not accept anyone's views that do not coincide with your own.

Yes, I am a Tory, but I do not support far-right views in the same way that I abhor far-left views in the Labour Party. Both parties have some good policies and both have bad ones but I tend to agree with the good Tory ones and disagree with most of what Labour stand for. I am no socialist, and I'm not much of a humanitarian if I'm being honest. I don't support giving foreign aid to countries that don't need it (India: £300m who then give £300m in aid themselves, wtf is that all about!!).

I certainly believe that with the problems we have at home we should be paying more attention to those issues whilst maintaining a modest foreign aid programme. I'm all for splashing the cash when times are good and we can afford it but basic economics dictate that when times are hard we pull our belts in and look after our own first.

That doesn't make me a fascist and you ought to know better than to hurl insults like that at someone you have debated with many times on here. But if that's how you feel then I'll not comment on any post you make anywhere on this forum again.

Black Sabbath. James Bond. Bobby Charlton. Meet & Two Veg. Paige Turnah. Led Zeppelin. Snooker. Full English Breakfasts. Irish Coffee. Welsh Rarebit. Scotch Eggs. David Attenborough. John Lennon. Frankie Boyle. Jamesons Whiskey. Real Ale. Fabswingers.

Food, Beer, Seasons, and people no place anywhere in he world can beat those vital ingrediants

"To be honest theres many things about this country we can moan about but we dont get earthquakes that kill people by the thousands, we dont get tsunami that wipe out half the country, suffer from floods or famine, we may get the odd tremor and a bit of heavy rain or the odd river that spills its banks but over all we cant moan"
yes and your right xx we may moan at times but uk has loads going for it .. xx

the immigration systmen

"the immigration systmen "
well alot of the English will not now do land work here in Norfolk so thay come from over seas and really good at it too ... I have friends who do flowers and other things on the land cant get the English .. thay just dont wish to do that sort of work. And the jobs have to be done.

"the immigration systmen well alot of the English will not now do land work here in Norfolk so thay come from over seas and really good at it too ... I have friends who do flowers and other things on the land cant get the English .. thay just dont wish to do that sort of work. And the jobs have to be done."

This is true in a lot of cases.

If it weren't for our immigrant population being prepared to do certain jobs for minimum wage, our whole system would possibly collapse.

the fact that we let a bunch of plebs run our country,,

that includes cameron , salmond ,and any past leader for god no when,however food beer english beer because most scotish beer is s--t ,our armed forces are the best , proper fish and super

my point exactly

because eveything you write suggests you belong to the intolerant,unthinking far right...i dont call u a fascist,your words do

How does loving my country make me intolerant and unthinking? This is just the kind of rhetoric that New Labour espoused to anyone who tried to stand up for Britian, they were labelled fascists, or Little Britain.

It strikes me that you are far more intolerant than I for the simple reason that you do not accept anyone's views that do not coincide with your own.

Yes, I am a Tory, but I do not support far-right views in the same way that I abhor far-left views in the Labour Party. Both parties have some good policies and both have bad ones but I tend to agree with the good Tory ones and disagree with most of what Labour stand for. I am no socialist, and I'm not much of a humanitarian if I'm being honest. I don't support giving foreign aid to countries that don't need it (India: £300m who then give £300m in aid themselves, wtf is that all about!!).

I certainly believe that with the problems we have at home we should be paying more attention to those issues whilst maintaining a modest foreign aid programme. I'm all for splashing the cash when times are good and we can afford it but basic economics dictate that when times are hard we pull our belts in and look after our own first.

That doesn't make me a fascist and you ought to know better than to hurl insults like that at someone you have debated with many times on here. But if that's how you feel then I'll not comment on any post you make anywhere on this forum again."

There are a lot of things that (from our run ins on the forums) Wishy and I don't agree on, but that's because he is on the Right and I am on the Left.

Loving ones country by nature of being born in it is not inherently fascist. It's also a trait of the patriot and the nationalist (which are fundamental tenents of being a fascist, but one can be both without being a fascist).

I am afraid that the words 'Nazi' and 'Fascist' are bandied around without people truly knowing what they mean.

I normaly take the oposite side to you in most arguments Wishy, but in this case I think you are right to object to being called a fascist (and I think, quite frankly, it was foolish to bandy the word around).

And that's another reason I like being British, I can express my opinion and still find it in me to agree, on occasion, with someone who I normaly fundamentaly disagree with.

"the immigration systmen well alot of the English will not now do land work here in Norfolk so thay come from over seas and really good at it too ... I have friends who do flowers and other things on the land cant get the English .. thay just dont wish to do that sort of work. And the jobs have to be done.

If it weren't for our immigrant population being prepared to do certain jobs for minimum wage, our whole system would possibly collapse."

I disagree

If it weren't for the imigrants doing those jobs for minimum wage, the wages for those jobs would rise and British people would want to start doing them again.

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

I love the irony of being called a borderline fascist by someone who prurports to hate labels yet uses them freely.

Had it been in German i wouldn't have understood 99% of the words. lol.

[Removed by poster at 03/02/12 09:47:01]

I can't argue with that georgey, and thanks. It's good to know that one can have differing views to another and still remember that all we're really here for is to have a bit of fun.

"the fact that we let a bunch of plebs run our country,,"

Oh no! You obviously don#'t know what a 'Pleb' is!

A Pleb is the lowest order of free born citizen in the Roman State!. Neither Cleg, Cameron, Blair, Brown or Thatcher were Plebs. Thatcher was the Lowest Born, in that she was Middle Class (an Equite).

All the rest were born to wealthy people, privately educated toffs and so were Aristo's.

The use of the word Pleb, Chav, Prole without an understanding of what those words actualy means realy gets on my tits.....(see Fascism) and makes a fool of the person who applies the lable, not the person to whom the lable is applied!

"I can't argue with that georgey, and thanks. It's good to know that one can have differing views to another and still remember that all we're really here for is to have a bit of fun.

"

Don't worry Wishy, I still think you're a Tory loving Bully Boy

"I can't argue with that georgey, and thanks. It's good to know that one can have differing views to another and still remember that all we're really here for is to have a bit of fun.

Don't worry Wishy, I still think you're a Tory loving Bully Boy "

Hey, I've voted for them all in my time. Much to my chagrin I voted for Blair, and in my ignorant youth I was a LibDem campaigner (well it was something to do). I know what my true politics are now though, and as a homeowner, father, husband and businessman - Labour won't help me in two of those respects. The Tories don't particularly care in two of them, and the Libs don't know who they affect, when, how or why.

I love the very best part of Britain , Scotland cos I was born there and I love a man in a kilt the bagpipes and Irn Bru especially with a bit of vodka in it

Sticks head back under cover quick

"I love the very best part of Britain , Scotland cos I was born there and I love a man in a kilt the bagpipes and Irn Bru especially with a bit of vodka in it

Sticks head back under cover quick "

I love the sound of bagpipes too actually, but Siren can't stand them. I think someone not very good at them used to practice in the room above or next to her when she lived in Edinbrough.

"the immigration systmen well alot of the English will not now do land work here in Norfolk so thay come from over seas and really good at it too ... I have friends who do flowers and other things on the land cant get the English .. thay just dont wish to do that sort of work. And the jobs have to be done.

If it weren't for our immigrant population being prepared to do certain jobs for minimum wage, our whole system would possibly collapse."

well i think thay pay more then minimum to them, as put good work in ... he would have gone under years ago with out there help . How can you make some work .. land work its not easy finding people .

By *araidWoman  over a year ago

the west (ish)

"We always look fwd to a cuppa when coming home and an all day breakfast at a Little chef !!!!! "

OMG You need HELP!

"We always look fwd to a cuppa when coming home and an all day breakfast at a Little chef !!!!!

OMG You need HELP!"

Not Little Chefs!! Nooooo! What a waste of a perfectly good sausage to put it on a plate all by itself!

Has anyone mentioned all the gorgeous woman?

"I love the very best part of Britain , Scotland cos I was born there and I love a man in a kilt the bagpipes and Irn Bru especially with a bit of vodka in it

Sticks head back under cover quick

I love the sound of bagpipes too actually, but Siren can't stand them. I think someone not very good at them used to practice in the room above or next to her when she lived in Edinbrough. "

, no not good when they no good at playing but the massed pipes and drums when the play at the Edinburgh Military Tattoo always brings a tear to my eyes more so when I worked there for 4 yrs and knew the guys playing

I had to travel learn about the positives and negatives of this country and the one thing I appreciate when I come back above all other things is the courtesy. Car drivers wave their thanks at other car drivers when they stop to allow them out of a side road. People stand back to allow others to walk when there is only room for one to walk. They apologise to each other when they bump into each other. They hold doors open for one another and people help mothers pushing push chairs and prams up stairs. Lots of pleases and thankyous. I have been nowhere else in the world where, as a general rule, people are so courteous.

By *ucsparkMan  over a year ago

dudley

The never die spirit that had made most of the rest of the world hate us, makes me laugh with French etc can not understand our mindset as a country. Plus our sense of humor to boot

seems all a bit puding and pie to me

hexham

" What do you love about Britain ??

The never die spirit that had made most of the rest of the world hate us, makes me laugh with French etc can not understand our mindset as a country. Plus our sense of humor to boot"

never been anywhere that doesnt love the british...

maybe its just you

"Our armed forces...

Our ethnic diversity...

Fish and chips...

"

Ethnic diversity-well you should leave Devon then, as there isn't much of that down there!!!

Bradford

Innocent until proven guilty.

hexham

"Our armed forces...

Our ethnic diversity...

Fish and chips...

Ethnic diversity-well you should leave Devon then, as there isn't much of that down there!!! "

they let grockles in, how diverse do u want

Don't mention the war!!

Bradford

British Sitcoms (well most of 'em)

"

British Sitcoms (well most of 'em) "

Even though he best one is based in Southern Ireland.

It's probably made by a British company though tbf.

ooo And i love the x.fator xx fab show all the family love it .. and makes for a good family evening together .

"

Innocent until proven guilty."

Not if your name is John Terry.

dudley

The never die spirit that had made most of the rest of the world hate us, makes me laugh with French etc can not understand our mindset as a country. Plus our sense of humor to boot

maybe its just you"

You need to get out more lol

Marmalade.

..... and the lovely forumite who sent me a jar of her home-made stuff. Deeeeeelicious.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

"Our armed forces...

Our ethnic diversity...

Fish and chips...

Ethnic diversity-well you should leave Devon then, as there isn't much of that down there!!! "

Did I say there was?....the thread is about Britain as a whole, and for your information I lived most of my life in the London area.....

dudley

Human by Evolution

European by treaty

English by the grace of God

"

Innocent until proven guilty.

Not if your name is John Terry. "

Invariably, in any walk of life, if you are accused of a crim you are suspended from duty (it depends on your employer wether you are paid or not).

I cannot imagine anyone who is convicted of a hate crime (as racism is classed) keeping their job after conviction either........lets just hope he goes down eh?

Depends on where u live in britain but we love the Fresh Air & Clean Water x

And i bet loads here love a full English in the morning I love my eggs easy over , lol

[Removed by poster at 03/02/12 21:15:41]

I am a first generation immigrant, and fell in love with this country the moment I stepped out of a plane on a cold and foggy September morning back in 1979.

I came from the Far East, where it was, and still is, very hot, humid, noisy and full of people.

I loved the cold damp air, the open space, the greenery, the quietness etc.

So I stayed.

"I am a first generation immigrant, and fell in love with this country the moment I stepped out of a plane on a cold and foggy September morning back in 1979.

I came from the Far East, where it was, and still is, very hot, humid, noisy and full of people.

I loved the cold damp air, the open space, the greenery, the quietness etc.

So I stayed.

"

wow XXX so it love at first sight .. its like a love story xx

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Being British is about ......

Putting on my Italian Clothes, Driving my German car to an Irish pub for French Lager. Eating a Chinese/ Indian/ Turkish meal then driving home to sit on my Swedish sofa in front of my Japanese Television to watch American programmes.

hexham

maybe its just you

You need to get out more lol"

france germany, holland, spain,america, canada, laos, vietnam, thailand, taiwan, india, nepal, mexico, japan,malaysia, hong kong, denmark, cambodia,china, singapore, norway, ireland, italy,

sorry we kind of thought between us we had got out quite a bit

(those are only the countries we have spent more than 2 weeks in)

"Being British is about ......

Putting on my Italian Clothes, Driving my German car to an Irish pub for French Lager. Eating a Chinese/ Indian/ Turkish meal then driving home to sit on my Swedish sofa in front of my Japanese Television to watch American programmes. "

All Made in Taiwan.

Used to love this country and there are still good things about it but it has declined to such an extent we are seriously thinking of moving abroad before our daughter gets too old and settled.

To us, Britain has become an interfering, hypocritical and sensationalist backwater! Sorry, but thats how we feel

Amalfi coast anyone? Hehe xxx

That's something else I love about Britain - the freedom of movement that people piss off if they don't like it here.

when working in canada, missed the sunday papers, premiership footy n a proper chippy tea

"Being British is about ......

Putting on my Italian Clothes, Driving my German car to an Irish pub for French Lager. Eating a Chinese/ Indian/ Turkish meal then driving home to sit on my Swedish sofa in front of my Japanese Television to watch American programmes. "

yes a real melting pot , or onion sure theres a Song about this , lol

By *edhotminxWoman  over a year ago

Turn left at the Singing Ringing Tree

Our beautiful countryside from mountains to moorlands and the lakes to the sea scapes.

The good old British weather - yeah I know, but I like the changeability of it all. And who else can discuss the weather like us Brits.

"Our beautiful countryside from mountains to moorlands and the lakes to the sea scapes.

The good old British weather - yeah I know, but I like the changeability of it all. And who else can discuss the weather like us Brits. "

yes so true xx England has alot going for it ... x I LOVE IT X

"

Human by Evolution

European by treaty

English by the grace of God "

And atheist by free will.

Which reminds me of another great thing about Britain and 99.9% of its citizens, the freedom to either practice or criticise religion.

"The good old British weather - yeah I know, but I like the changeability of it all. And who else can discuss the weather like us Brits. "

I could be quite happy living in a Britain blessed with sunshine 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, 8 months of the year. When we were busy colonising eveything a few hundered years ago we should have renamed Australia as Britain, moved everyone there here, and everyone here there.

"

Human by Evolution

European by treaty

English by the grace of God

And atheist by free will.

Which reminds me of another great thing about Britain and 99.9% of its citizens, the freedom to either practice or criticise religion. "

+1

» Add a new message to this topic