FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Football violence..........

Football violence..........

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

As many know football is not a favorite topic of mine even though someone most dear to me lives for the game

After seeing the appalling Egyptian scenes on sky news this morning where 74 people died and many hundreds injured

How in your opinion should we go about making it a safe game for the genuine fans and their loved ones??

Im at a loss as to why some go to watch a game and come home in a box xx

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple  over a year ago

hexham

It was horrific wasnt it...though from the news on the radio this morning i am not sure it isnt related to egyptian politics rather than sport.

My thoughts go out to the families

"It was horrific wasnt it...though from the news on the radio this morning i am not sure it isnt related to egyptian politics rather than sport.

My thoughts go out to the families "

Thats as maybe Jem but it happens also without politics too xx

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

footbal, religion and politics all seem to go hand in hand, usually with football 'fans' (i use this term EXTREMELY loosely) using a game against rivals as an outlet to vent their anger/opposition etc.

i grew up in a city where the greatest team in the world is (and also their second team in red play!) and the local derby stirs up a bit of tension, but its always in good humoured way, as many families have blue and red fans.

i noticed how severe football could be when i used to visit glasgow on training courses, i was told football shirts where a big no no, regardless of team/nation etc, just basically down to the religious following of teams up there.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

its wrong as Soapy says to go to watch a 'game' of football and not come home..

whether thats due to political motivation, sheer mindlessness or incompetence from the senior police on duty..

By *allenangel99Man  over a year ago

scotland/glenrothes

sadly in my opinion it will never stop each team has a small section of idiot fans(if you can call them that) that go to football matches purely to cause trouble.thats just the way it is and i cant see it changeing.these so called fans will always find a way to cause trouble and be idiots.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"i grew up in a city where the greatest team in the world is (and also their second team in red play!) and the local derby stirs up a bit of tension, but its always in good humoured way, as many families have blue and red fans.

"

Ste m8, your lot are probably the best team on one side of Stanley park but no further..

sadly the violence is there nowadays between 'blue noses' and 'red sh**e' also..

never used to be that way..

The problem is that it will never be stamped out. If. You look at how much work has gone into making the English game safer you will see massive strides forward compared to the 80's.

However all that has been achieved is to take the problems sway from the grounds and into more public areas. I was in a situation where before a game that was to be my sons first and last, we where in a family pub away from the ground. A group of fans took it upon themselves to riot in the pub and torch cars. It was done as a way of taunting the home fans.

It also happens at trainstations and city centres. With the use of social networking sites and the like it can't be stopped.

What needs to be done is working on the 4 & 5 year olds now so that they know its not accepted. But what works in one country sadly will not work in another. I dread the Euro championships this year and gear many a life could be lost.

I remember reading an article back in the eighties about some convicted football hooligans in The Netherlands. The court had sentenced them to 2000 hours of Community Service but had ruled that they could only do their Community Service on Saturdays, which of course meant that they wouldn't be able to go to any football matches for years. According to the same article,football fans who had not been convicted of hooliganism were said to be delighted with the sentencing.

By *amescoupleCouple  over a year ago

north walsham

It was sad to see the seens from egypt.

Im a QPR supporter and there is ofcourse a fierce feeling between our supporters and chelsea, especially with recent events. But to me its just a game, for 90 minutes it might aswell be a war withing the stadium, but a war of words and chants. When the stadium empties its back to normal.

Sadly though, at the october game a friend of ours was attacked by 2 chelsea fans. A 50 year old man walking home alone in his hooped shirt and 2 thugs in a van kicked the crap out of him. Pointless act.

"It was sad to see the seens from egypt.

Im a QPR supporter and there is ofcourse a fierce feeling between our supporters and chelsea, especially with recent events. But to me its just a game, for 90 minutes it might aswell be a war withing the stadium, but a war of words and chants. When the stadium empties its back to normal.

Sadly though, at the october game a friend of ours was attacked by 2 chelsea fans. A 50 year old man walking home alone in his hooped shirt and 2 thugs in a van kicked the crap out of him. Pointless act."

It's just so sad to hear. And because its away from the ground harder to police.

Best way to make football safe is to cancel it... even at under 15's games around here there is violence... ok a couple of dads got into a fight over a foul, but still... all you hear about football is drugs, alcohol, violence and money... on and off the pitch,,,

in my opinion,football violence will never end.

not so long as they are shitting in our shoes

and we are pissing in their bovril

By *abrina59TV/TS  over a year ago

submissive land

if no football they would just attach themselves to something else.

always played football and attanded a number of games between the great rival glasgow teams as a youngster and didnt play rugby seriously until left school but the friendships the social side between rival players/supporters meant never looked back.

"As many know football is not a favorite topic of mine even though someone most dear to me lives for the game

After seeing the appalling Egyptian scenes on sky news this morning where 74 people died and many hundreds injured

How in your opinion should we go about making it a safe game for the genuine fans and their loved ones??

"

We don't have problems like that at English matches. I'm sure the Egyptians will sort out their own problems ans us in the UK need to concentrate on making sure we have no more inert city riots.

"if no football they would just attach themselves to something else.

always played football and attanded a number of games between the great rival glasgow teams as a youngster and didnt play rugby seriously until left school but the friendships the social side between rival players/supporters meant never looked back."

A lot can be learnt from Rugby. I loved playing it - and still would be if it weren't for injuries.

don't shoot me for this - but it does seem that higher end of society watches rugby.

"

We don't have problems like that at English matches. I'm sure the Egyptians will sort out their own problems ans us in the UK need to concentrate on making sure we have no more inert city riots. "

No not so much now agreed but we have had

I was taking about football violence in general and it's irelavent as to where it was

One death is too many anywhere in the world for a game of anything

The mentality of some has to be delt with

"

We don't have problems like that at English matches. I'm sure the Egyptians will sort out their own problems ans us in the UK need to concentrate on making sure we have no more inert city riots.

I was taking about football violence in general and it's irelavent as to where it was

The mentality of some has to be delt with"

Its little to do with football over there more to do with regime change. Its a bit like saying if England and Afghanistan had a football match in Afghanistan and there was a riot and it was blamed on football. There is a bigger issue than football and by your own admission you dont understand or like football so no probs if you didn't understand it.

"

Its little to do with football over there more to do with regime change. Its a bit like saying if England and Afghanistan had a football match in

Afghanistan and there was a riot and it was blamed on football. There is a bigger issue than football and by your own admission you dont understand or like football so no probs if you didn't understand it."

Actually no where in my post did I say anything about no understanding the game I do

I said I disliked it

Also even if I didn't understand it it's completely irelavent to my original question as far as I'm concerned

[Removed by poster at 02/02/12 16:47:13]

"i grew up in a city where the greatest team in the world is (and also their second team in red play!) and the local derby stirs up a bit of tension, but its always in good humoured way, as many families have blue and red fans.

Ste m8, your lot are probably the best team on one side of Stanley park but no further..

sadly the violence is there nowadays between 'blue noses' and 'red sh**e' also..

"

It's always been there. To say it hasnt isnt true. Granted it may not occur in the ground but there has always been trouble after our derby.

I agree with you though in one respect it has certainly got worst over recent years

"

Its little to do with football over there more to do with regime change. Its a bit like saying if England and Afghanistan had a football match in

Afghanistan and there was a riot and it was blamed on football. There is a bigger issue than football and by your own admission you dont understand or like football so no probs if you didn't understand it.

Actually no where in my post did I say anything about no understanding the game I do

I said I disliked it

Also even if I didn't understand it it's completely irelavent to my original question as far as I'm concerned "

You just don't like or attend and without doing so you can't fully understand no matter how much you make out you do, the passion isn't in you. What happened in Egypt has far more to do with politics out there than football.

hexham

"

i didnt know that, kev supports everton, and went as a young teen with no bother...it seems so sad lads today cant have that experience

By *ortheastcoupleukCouple  over a year ago

easington were the sun dont shine

i used to play semi pro on sats have seen violence in northern league , travelled home and away with my local team i support and seen loads of aggro milwall on a tuesday night spurs away newcastle away one of the worst was when rangers came over the north east terrifying hampdon park england v scotland unreal mind been up to celtic was cany

"

Its little to do with football over there more to do with regime change. Its a bit like saying if

England and Afghanistan had a football match in

Afghanistan and there was a riot and it was blamed on football. There is a bigger issue than

football and by your own admission you dont understand or like football so no probs if you didn't understand it.

Actually no where in my post did I say anything

about no understanding the game I do

I said I disliked it

Also even if I didn't understand it it's completely irelavent to my original question as far as I'm

concerned

You just don't like or attend and without doing so you can't fully understand no matter how much

you make out you do, the passion isn't in you. What happened in Egypt has far more to do with politics out there than football."

I'm quite aware of the politic implications of the Egyptian situation thank you

I'm also quite aware that football violence is generally little to do with the game

But inevitably that's where it manifests it's self

So that's where it should be dealt with and changes made to combat it

Even to the extreme measure in my opinion of banning live matches completely

And yes I'm aware that is nither possible or practical

Please do not assume that I'm not aware of the other side of football violence because I assure you I am

"

Its little to do with football over there more to do with regime change. Its a bit like saying if

Afghanistan and there was a riot and it was blamed on football. There is a bigger issue than

football and by your own admission you dont understand or like football so no probs if you didn't understand it.

I said I disliked it

Also even if I didn't understand it it's completely irelavent to my original question as far as I'm

concerned

You just don't like or attend and without doing so you can't fully understand no matter how much

you make out you do, the passion isn't in you. What happened in Egypt has far more to do with politics out there than football.

I'm also quite aware that football violence is generally little to do with the game

Please do not assume that I'm not aware of the other side of football violence because I assure you I am"

There you go again! Lack of knowledge at what happens at matches apart from what you slurp of the tabloids spoon.

Anyway you asked "How in your opinion should we go about making it a safe game for the genuine fans and their loved one??"

Well the game IS safe especially in the ENGLAND where MY loved ones reside. Sometimes it kicks off afterwards on the streets but no worse than midnight on a Saturday.

What happened in Egypt was more to do with political unrest than football!

Hooligamism is still going on at English grounds across the Country but what we witnessed last nigt would never ever happen in England 100%....

As the previous poster said, this is a case of Politics more than the Football rivalry like we have over here.

Its very sad indeed, but this was an excuse to have a riot and cause many many pointless deaths.

Do not think for one minute that this would happen over here, because it will not ever!!!

I have seen many many fierce local derby matches over the last few years, (celtic rangers, spurs arsenal, man uts man city, man utd liverpool, villa brum etc...)and have seen violence bit nothing like what we saw alst night.

"Hooligamism is still going on at English grounds across the Country but what we witnessed last nigt would never ever happen in England 100%....

As the previous poster said, this is a case of Politics more than the Football rivalry like we have over here.

Its very sad indeed, but this was an excuse to have a riot and cause many many pointless deaths.

Do not think for one minute that this would happen over here, because it will not ever!!!

I have seen many many fierce local derby matches over the last few years, (celtic rangers, spurs arsenal, man uts man city, man utd liverpool, villa brum etc...)and have seen violence bit nothing like what we saw alst night.

"

There is very little inside the grounds! Inside the stadium there are so many cameras and anyone makes a gesture they get removed. There is crap on the way to and from matches but there is outside the city centre pubs sat night too.

"

There is very little inside the grounds! Inside the stadium there are so many cameras and anyone makes a gesture they get removed. There is crap on the way to and from matches but there is outside the city centre pubs sat night too."

Yes i agree with you, the violence at grounds is now completely wiped out apart from the odd occasion. The cameras in the grounds are great and the Police do a good job in and around most grounds i attend every week up and down the country.

Its moved on to the pubs on saturday nights like you say, where the lads are meeting up for trouble. A few years ago, alot of the Stoke City hooligans played Newcastle away at St James Park and there was lots of trouble in Gateshead before and after the game.

At least families can enjoy a good day at the match without seeing trouble in the stadium like we did years gone by.

Who do you support by the way?

"

I was taking about football violence in general

and it's irelavent as to where it was

Its little to do with football over there more to do

with regime change. Its a bit like saying if

Afghanistan and there was a riot and it was

blamed on football. There is a bigger issue than

I said I disliked it

concerned

you make out you do, the passion isn't in you. What happened in Egypt has far more to do with politics out there than football.

Please do not assume that I'm not aware of the other side of football violence because I assure you I am

There you go again! Lack of knowledge at what happens at matches apart from what you slurp of the tabloids spoon.

Anyway you asked "How in your opinion should

we go about making it a safe game for the genuine fans and their loved one??"

Well the game IS safe especially in the ENGLAND where MY loved ones reside. Sometimes it kicks off afterwards on the streets but no worse than midnight on a Saturday.

What happened in Egypt was more to do with political unrest than football!"

And there you go again assuming I get it front the tabloids

I'm leaving you to it because you are obviously so right and gunning for a fight

Ok I'm wrong and you are right happy now or are you Likley to twist that?

My main point was that a game is not worth any life

If you couldn't see that point then so be it

By *els_BellsWoman  over a year ago

with the moon n stars somewhere in gtr manc

[Removed by poster at 02/02/12 19:09:39]

By *els_BellsWoman  over a year ago

with the moon n stars somewhere in gtr manc

"Hooligamism is still going on at English grounds across the Country but what we witnessed last nigt would never ever happen in England 100%....

There is very little inside the grounds! Inside the stadium there are so many cameras and anyone makes a gesture they get removed. There is crap on the way to and from matches but there is outside the city centre pubs sat night too."

very little but it does still go on.

I dont think its fair you can accuse Soapy of being spoon fed by the tabloids.

I dont go to games anymore but know what goes on inside and outside grounds. Yes Im a girl and like and understand football.

Yes it can be seen as the same as a Saturday night in town but for there to be malicious, disrespectful and hurtful chants, organised brawls before or after a match then it still happens. Yes I class horrid chants about race, Munich and Hilsborough etc in the same league as hooliganism.

Yes security is tighter here at the grounds so what happened last night, I hope will never happen here.

I wonder if it wasnt at a football match if it would have been so heavily reported over here?

By *ixson-BallsMan  over a year ago

Blackpool

"

I wonder if it wasnt at a football match if it would have been so heavily reported over here? "

That is a very valid point...as i'm sure atrocities are being committed around the globe and not being reported...

...but back to soapys' point....

everyone should have the right to attend a football match without the fear of losing ones life

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

"Best way to make football safe is to cancel it... even at under 15's games around here there is violence... ok a couple of dads got into a fight over a foul, but still... all you hear about football is drugs, alcohol, violence and money... on and off the pitch,,,"
thats such a one sided comment allthough i appreciate its your opinion..football gives great pleasure to millions of people around the world and if you take a years attendance of every crowd at every football match and then work out deaths and injuries as a % i bet its so small it hardly registers..certainly no reason to ban it for gods sake

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Best way to make football safe is to cancel it... even at under 15's games around here there is violence... ok a couple of dads got into a fight over a foul, but still... all you hear about football is drugs, alcohol, violence and money... on and off the pitch,,,"
No you dont, thats what you choose to hear about it...

By *waymanMan  over a year ago

newcastle

"As many know football is not a favorite topic of mine even though someone most dear to me lives for the game

We don't have problems like that at English matches. I'm sure the Egyptians will sort out their own problems ans us in the UK need to concentrate on making sure we have no more inert city riots. "

74 dead. Small beer compared to English soccer. When they can do 95 in one go, then they're talking....

It sounds like the Egyptians had the same lethal combination of excited fans,corrupt and careless stadium bosses and inept to the point of corruption police that caused Hillsborough. And Ibrox. And Valley Parade.

By *waymanMan  over a year ago

newcastle

"

There is very little inside the grounds! Inside the stadium there are so many cameras and anyone makes a gesture they get removed. There is crap on the way to and from matches but there is outside the city centre pubs sat night too.

Yes i agree with you, the violence at grounds is now completely wiped out apart from the odd occasion. The cameras in the grounds are great and the Police do a good job in and around most grounds i attend every week up and down the country.

Its moved on to the pubs on saturday nights like you say, where the lads are meeting up for trouble. A few years ago, alot of the Stoke City hooligans played Newcastle away at St James Park and there was lots of trouble in Gateshead before and after the game.

At least families can enjoy a good day at the match without seeing trouble in the stadium like we did years gone by.

Who do you support by the way?"

Why would a Stoke fan end up in Gateshaead? It's not as if they've never seen a run down place before.... (I know, I know, but it had to be said...)

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

74 dead. Small beer compared to English soccer. When they can do 95 in one go, then they're talking....

It sounds like the Egyptians had the same lethal combination of excited fans,corrupt and careless stadium bosses and inept to the point of corruption police that caused Hillsborough. And Ibrox. And Valley Parade.

"

I think you have to be very very careful when comparing what happened in egypt compared to what happened at hillsborough, ibrox and bradford... because there is very much a political dimension to what happened....

supporters of the big cairo clubs "al-alhy" and "zamalek" tend to be very different to those in other parts of egypt.... lets say those two are run inspite of past regimes rather than encouraged...

it was supporters of those that were lead in that happened in egypt last spring... this was the militaries way of payback of a sort, notice there was how the police melted away..... and now this has happened the called for the emergencies laws has returned...

By *ortheastcoupleukCouple  over a year ago

easington were the sun dont shine

"

If you couldn't see that point then so be it"

well said mara

"

If you couldn't see that point then so be itwell said mara "

Agreed also .... this thread has gone off on a massive tangent here sadly and some people may find it offensive if they had families or relatives involved.

I'm sure we all agree on the origional point! Nothing else needs to be said!

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

always played football and attanded a number of games between the great rival glasgow teams as a youngster and didnt play rugby seriously until left school but the friendships the social side between rival players/supporters meant never looked back.

A lot can be learnt from Rugby. I loved playing it - and still would be if it weren't for injuries.

don't shoot me for this - but it does seem that higher end of society watches rugby. "

Sir, you do Rugby League a great disservice.

Interesting that someone else's rugby career is over due to injuries. A hard game.

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

"

For the reasosn given, it's a bit harsh to include Valley Parade.

I know first hand lot about this topic.

Firstly i am one of thousands of women football fans in this country. I love football with a passion. A passion that other women feel about dancing, reality tv, designer clothing etc etc.... I know my football and i know it well.

I have also grew up slap bang in the middle of 2 massive rival clubs. I have seen far too much football hooliganism to last me a lifetime. Being around it has given me a great understanding of why it happens.

Firstly supporting your team is a form of tribalism. These men live and breath their teams. It is an integral part of their being. These men truely believe that confronting rival team hooligans is a truer way than chanting support in the terraces. Across the centuries men have always been tribalistic about something or another, this century is about football. Football grounds to these people are their churches/temples/territory.

Whether what happened in Egypt was to do with politics or football. It was men being tribalistic in their beliefs. A belief that they feel was worth killing for.

I completely agree that no life is worth taking for any passion. Whether it be politics, religion , football or power. Unfortunately things like this will continue as long as there is a mankind. What happened in Egypt was appauling. Complaring it to anything is irrelevant. Unfortunately it was yet another bad event, where people lost their lives for the passions of others.

hexham

just heard on newsnight that apparently the gates to the stadium were locked, leading to ppl being crushed

don't shoot me for this - but it does seem that higher end of society watches rugby.

Interesting that someone else's rugby career is over due to injuries. A hard game. "

I never meant to knock rugby leagues as it is a great and tough game, which is of course loved by the working classes in the north. So please accept my appologies.

My main experience has been in the south and playing union, which is middle class. I was lucky to make it. On talent having come from working class.

hexham

Interesting that someone else's rugby career is over due to injuries. A hard game. "

i have to say having been to quite a few rugby league matches i have been constantly impressed by the high standard of behaviuor of the fans. Even t challenge cup games between bitter rivals (wigan/saints) there has been nothing but banter and good natured teasing.

A previous poster writes about tribalism...it makes sense until you look at clubs like featherstone ,villages where almost everyone on the team is related...if it were about tribal identity surely these would be hotbeds of violence.

i think it is more about image and self identity, sadly football attracts thugs because there is now a history of certain teams who have violent gangs associated with them.

" A previous poster writes about tribalism...it makes sense until you look at clubs like featherstone ,villages where almost everyone on the team is related...if it were about tribal identity surely these would be hotbeds of violence.

i think it is more about image and self identity, sadly football attracts thugs because there is now a history of certain teams who have violent gangs associated with them.

"

To a degree you are right about smaller rugby teams, there is no violence as you would expect there to be. However my post did actually mention larger clubs. The tribalistic fans of Bigger teams do not fight on the terraces they organise meetings in secluded places where they can do the do without being taken away in handcuffs. As do rugby fans. Just because its not on the forefront on the tabloids does not mean it does not happen.

Last year there were reports of 4 big meets of rival rugby team fans in Manchester City Centre that resulted in alot of injuries and arrests. Which i feel backs up my point. Football is BIG news, rugby lesser so, which is why people tend to believe that it does not happen.

I take my 3, 10, 15 and 18 year old children to the football matches regularly and we have an amazing time. The stewards do an absolutely amazing job in keeping tempers at bay, as do the the stewards at rugby matches. There is no trouble and people enjoy the match they come to see. In the background, in some industrial unit car park somewhere men are hitting men marking their territory giving the rest of us a bad name.

To get to my point, regardless as to sport, belief or politics its about men fighting for what they believe in. Its just their way. Its happened since time immerandum. From Cavemen fighting for territory to countries fighting for power. Its in our nature its what we do and what we will always do. Right now its mainly football, and on occassion rugby whatever they feel is someting worth fighting for.

Maybe next century's fighting could be over Lacrosse or even tiddlywinks does it really matter? Its just an excuse to see who is better at what and who's opinion on things is right!

» Add a new message to this topic