FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Engine geeks

Engine geeks

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *thwalescpl OP   Couple  over a year ago

brecon

How much more efficient is a diesel compared to a petrol engine of the same size?

Trying to figure out what size of engine to get in our next car to cut fuel costs.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ucsparkMan  over a year ago

dudley

"How much more efficient is a diesel compared to a petrol engine of the same size?

Trying to figure out what size of engine to get in our next car to cut fuel costs. "

Have a look at fifth gear they did test in small car with both engines and petrol came out. Cheaper. I have a 2 liter diesel galaxy that cost £100 to fill and gets 40mpg but that might be the way my family drive it

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

If you travel less than 18000 miles a year a small petrol engine is cheaper due to diesel prices and servicing

I had a Peugeot 207 petrol 1.4. On average I got 35 Mpg which in my opinion was poor. On a decent run I got 40-42. (£110 per year road tax)

I know have the exact same model but in a diesel which is 1.6 and average knocking about the doors I get 54mpg and on a decent run 60+mpg. (£30 per year road tax)

By *uriouscouple21Man  over a year ago

reading

depends on size and how u drive, our 2.0 petrol hyundai coupe costs 70 to fill up and gets 350ish per tank round town or 400ish motorway driving both being driven gently and our mazda 6 2.0 diesel costs 80 and does 450 driven hard or 500 normal so nothing in it as the extra £10 in the coupe would be the same.

Diesel used to be more efficient but now with the petrol/diesel price gap small capacity high efficiency petrol engines are taking over. If your looking at the VAG group cars (Seat/Skoda/Audi/VW) the 1.4 TFSI engine is pretty good.

If your doing long distances regularly look at diesel if you want a little run around for town trips and taking the kids to school a small capacity forced induction petrol engine would be better

» Add a new message to this topic