FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Smacking .

Smacking .

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Was a thing on local radio about smacking children ... And a lady in her late 60s called in ..... and in tears saying her mum smacked her for being sick as could not get a bowel .. and still to this day it hurt her as felt she could not help it.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I've just finished smacking a naughty schoolgirl,to be perfectly honest,we both really enjoyed it

I have used it on my children..but prefer other methods..

Dont see anythign wrong with those that do.. but it should only be done in a controlled manner...

Cali

"I've just finished smacking a naughty schoolgirl,to be perfectly honest,we both really enjoyed it "
its diffrent hitting children in anger. I am a older woman just see spanking stuff a four-play ... and not a child.

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple  over a year ago

Bolton

It's a difficult subject, but to smack a child for that is totally wrong, terrible. My dad used to beat us and i have some terrible memories of that, i only smacked my son once - he was just about to do somthing very dangerous and i instantly reacted with a single slap on the back of his legs - i felt awful for ages! There will always be arguements for and against but i think that if you have decent dialogue with your children and mutual respect than there should be no need for corporal punishment ona regular basis. Z

"It's a difficult subject, but to smack a child for that is totally wrong, terrible. My dad used to beat us and i have some terrible memories of that, i only smacked my son once - he was just about to do somthing very dangerous and i instantly reacted with a single slap on the back of his legs - i felt awful for ages! There will always be arguements for and against but i think that if you have decent dialogue with your children and mutual respect than there should be no need for corporal punishment ona regular basis. Z"
well to here that lady so up-set on the radio she was only about 10 and its stayed with her all them years ... did make me think i have never done the smacking i would take things away ... there treats.

Coronation Street has a story line about smacking and guess the chat shows has picked up on it.

many anti smacking people around. Reasonable chastisement is legal. Of course any smacking that bleeds, bruises or injury is assault and should be treated as such.

Mine were slapped back of hand or back of leg, they are quite nice people now

I actually do not agree with hitting children, i personally think there are better ways of getting thro to them, i have always taken away things they like for short periods of time as a punishment and it got thro to them better

I remember one day my eldest daughter saying to me couldnt i just hit her like her mates mum rather than taking her things away

Thing is you have to hit them where it hurts the most and thats now always pysically

used to make our Son Empty his bedroom of all his toys and books apart from 1 book, that would take him about a cpl of hrs, he would them have come down and tell us when he had finished, we would then tell him to put them all back, found that taught him more about being naughty than smacking him

I don;t see that violence ahs any place in scociety. Using physical force to discipline a child is wrong, totally wrong.

Those that condone it, would you let anyone else hit your child? If not why should you be allowed to?

By *stwoforfun2Couple  over a year ago

South Suffolk Area

Mr here. Have never done it to ours and never would, but would never knock those that do in a controlled/not over the top manner.

I just think that there are loads of other ways to control bad/naughty behaviour. It works for us anyway.

I think the problem is people say smacking is ok so long as its controled and not over the top but everyone has their own ideas of whats over the top

How do you control whats ok and whats not, where do you draw the line between a smack and violance?

My dad was very abusive to us, he didnt see anything wrong with beating us with belts etc to him it was just punishment, and till the day he died he never saw anything wrong with what he used to do to us, thats the problem you have some just do not know where to draw the line, whats acceptable to you isnt to others

[Removed by poster at 21/01/12 16:19:57]

By *stwoforfun2Couple  over a year ago

South Suffolk Area

"I think the problem is people say smacking is ok so long as its controled and not over the top but everyone has their own ideas of whats over the top

How do you control whats ok and whats not, where do you draw the line between a smack and violance?

My dad was very abusive to us, he didnt see anything wrong with beating us with belts etc to him it was just punishment, and till the day he died he never saw anything wrong with what he used to do to us, thats the problem you have some just do not know where to draw the line, whats acceptable to you isnt to others"

What you say is very valid and thought provoking.

My idea of "Not over the top", for example, would be a very light tap. Again, not something I do, or would ever do.

Personally, I think this kind of punishment can, and often does have, long lasting effects, often life long :{

On the other hand, if my little one is sent to bed early, it lasts until asleep. If banned from the x-box for a week, it lasts a week. But this sort of punishments works for us.

I last smacked my daughter when she was 4

Shes now 11

I havent ever had cause to do it since

A simple look is all i need now on the very odd occasion she actually needs it

Do i advocate smacking??

Yes

Do i advocate child beating??

No way

There is a complete difference

A smack is short sharp shock

Naughty step for half an hour is total social exclusion

My opinion and no way do i sate its the right one

I (Sarah) once had a smack on my bum from my dad as i had gone somewhere i had previously been told not to go due to its dangers. This did not hurt me physically, but i was so upset that my dad had done it and felt he had to. Therefore, i never did anything i shouldn't do since.

On the other hand, Mat often had a slipper or clip around the head... and he is still doesn't do as he is told now!

I work with children and as a result know what works for them and there is always an alternative disciplinary method to smacking them, to me smacking is somewhat an easy option, even though an effective one for some. Teachers have to discipline children daily, smacking is never used. You just have to know the child. As mentioned earlier, often what will affect them the most is taking away something they enjoy e.g. a particuar toy.

Sarah and Mat xx

"....thats the problem you have some just do not know where to draw the line, whats acceptable to you isnt to others"

Part of an erlier reply...

Of course any smacking that bleeds, bruises or injury is assault and should be treated as such.

"....thats the problem you have some just do not know where to draw the line, whats acceptable to you isnt to others

Part of an erlier reply...

Of course any smacking that bleeds, bruises or injury is assault and should be treated as such."

And you seriously think that at the point an adult hits a child that is where the line should be drawn?

By *acreadCouple  over a year ago

central scotland

Like a cpl of the above my dad realy beat us with belts etc sometimes blood being drawn and even for trivial things, as a result I was terrified of my dad who would just explode for no reason.

Maybe partly because of this I didnt hit my kids and they turned out decent polite adults.

But in saying that I do think kids need to be taken in hand sometimes and its not the first time I have looked at the way some kids act and think they need a good slap.

Reasonable chastisement is still legal. A slap to the back of the hand or leg.

Of course I would love all children to be well behaved, know the difference between right and wrong, dangerous behaviour and that they can't be nasty towards other people...

Of course I guess yours fitted into the above category.

Random hitting is totally wrong, if they don't know why they were punished it's pointless.

I had to bend over and slapped by the head, in junior school, I was caned at high school, and was punished by my dad. The worst slapping I ever had was from my aunt, who was a vicars wife, totally over the top ...

Like everything, it's why and how you do it.

Some sound like they had bad parent(s) using a belt or similar should be treated as a weapon if used to punish a child.

I'm fine with how I punished my children and how they are today.

As per the Fab tradition, it's fine if your views are different to mine.

Only if they are very naughty.

There will always be a time for discipline, not cruelty.

I have never smacked my children.

My eldest was a very wilful toddler and would have temper tantrums when told no. This would regularly happen in silly situations ie; in the supermarket trying to put gherkins in my trolley and spotting me taking them out again. He used to lie on the floor and scream and if I tried to pacify him he would get worse. So I used to ignore him. Keep hold of his toddler reins and make sure he couldn't hurt himself, but I wouldn't look at him, completely ignore him. After a minute he'd stop, lift his arms up, I'd pick him up and put him on my hip to carry him around and he'd act as if nothing happened.

One day an old lady came up to me and said 'that kid needs a bloody good hiding, don't just stand there ignoring him, hit him'. Other people always think they know best. The ignoring method still works on my wilful toddler, now a 22yr old man. If he's upset me I don't speak in a friendly way to him, ill answer him, but just a yes or no and keep my voice tone neutral. Drives him mad and he apologises within half an hour.

» Add a new message to this topic