FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Ways to save money on fuel bills for the home?

Ways to save money on fuel bills for the home?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I use electricity to cool as well as to heat my house in the form of inverter air-conditioning units.

I do not heat the spare room as it is only used for storage.

I have not switched on the under-floor heating this year (floor covering is ceremic tiles and can be very cold on the feet).

I only turn up the under-floor heating for the bathroom/wetroom when I use it in the morning.

I put on extra layer of clothing in the evening instead of turning up the heating.

I am hoping the above would help me get a refund on my electricity bill in June.

What do you do to save money on heating bills?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Too right i have i bugger off working away for 3 weeks at a time so save nearly 50% on my heating bills. Beat that.

Go to other peoples houses for meets

"Go to other peoples houses for meets "

Stop a week and you will save even more

By *ot - CoupleCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Go to other peoples houses for meets "

By *am sampsonMan  over a year ago

cwmbran

if the house id not insulated get it done to modern standards - grants r usually available - good investment for the future

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I switch mine off. I try and only have it on in the evenings for a few hours, an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon and put warm clothes on

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

I use a hot water bottle instead of my leccy blanket when my OH isnt here

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"I use a hot water bottle instead of my leccy blanket when my OH isnt here "

Let the dog or cat warm the bed up for you by allowing it to sleep on top of the duvet until you get in.

You have to be slightly careful with this one, and it's highly inadvisable if you have kids! But once you've finished using the oven for cooking your dinner, leave the oven door open slightly. It doesn't sound like much, but you've paid to use to gas/electricity to cook your food so it's almost free heating.

You also need to be careful that the trim panel above the oven door can handle the heat

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"I use a hot water bottle instead of my leccy blanket when my OH isnt here

Let the dog or cat warm the bed up for you by allowing it to sleep on top of the duvet until you get in. "

Noooooooooo pets allowed in bedroom!

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Put on a onsie and eat beans ....

Think about it.

Last winter I had a duvet on my sofa to snuggle into and a beanie hat... My 2 bedroom flat is gas fired boiler.

The Jan/March quarter cost of £40...

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Put on a onsie and eat beans ....

Think about it."

N WHEN YA MOVE THE SMELL WOULD PUT YA TO SLEEP! Good thinking granny

"You have to be slightly careful with this one, and it's highly inadvisable if you have kids! But once you've finished using the oven for cooking your dinner, leave the oven door open slightly. It doesn't sound like much, but you've paid to use to gas/electricity to cook your food so it's almost free heating.

You also need to be careful that the trim panel above the oven door can handle the heat "

I knew there was method in your madness

By *irty_bhamMan  over a year ago

birmingham

i wank constantly untill i build up a hot sweat

"i wank constantly untill i build up a hot sweat

"

I just eat chocolate

By *am sampsonMan  over a year ago

cwmbran

"You have to be slightly careful with this one, and it's highly inadvisable if you have kids! But once you've finished using the oven for cooking your dinner, leave the oven door open slightly. It doesn't sound like much, but you've paid to use to gas/electricity to cook your food so it's almost free heating.

You also need to be careful that the trim panel above the oven door can handle the heat "

The heat would eventually dissipate in the house anyway its got no where else to go bit like a storage heater

By *ustyAngelWoman  over a year ago

gloucester

You also need to be careful that the trim panel above the oven door can handle the heat

The heat would eventually dissipate in the house anyway its got no where else to go bit like a storage heater"

Phew pleased you reasoned with the maddnes

my brain hurts from the physics now

I live in a middle flat well insulated get heat from next door and up above. Very rare I feel the cold never wear a coat etc middle of Jan and sat here with window open.

The heat would eventually dissipate in the house anyway its got no where else to go bit like a storage heater"

It does indeed, but when all you have is storage heaters (that come on at the economy 7 switch on time, approx 10:30pm winter time) it can be a welcome boost :o)

By *elshlad2k11Man  over a year ago

llantrisant

Invest in new radiators and get your home insulated...

"if the house id not insulated get it done to modern standards - grants r usually available - good investment for the future"

Grants are available but it does depend on your individual circumstance if you are eligible!!! There is only so much you can do realistically to lower your heating bills!!! Whatever you save is lost when your energy company put up their unit price so realistically you are no better of..its a stale mate!! The customer never wins, unless you have solar panels fitted then the energy company will pay you!!!

"The customer never wins, unless you have solar panels fitted then the energy company will pay you!!!"

And now the Government are trying to reduce the amount of money that you are paid to pump excess power back into the network.

As you say, 'The customer never wins'

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

Candles in the livingroom. They look nice and give off more heat than most people realise..... well they do if you have a few 9 tealight holders. Save the nice smelling ones for when you have company.... and buy a sack of cheap ones for when you don't.

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

shorten the power leads to all your appliances to 2 inches long. This way there is less electricity in the wires.

Hey presto! Smaller power bills!

Problem?

It was good when the foot and mouth infection was about, there was always a nice roaring fire to roast your spuds in

"Put on a onsie and eat beans ....

Think about it."

......works for me.

By *ouplefunukCouple  over a year ago

North Bristol

Line any walls behind radiators that are on an outside wall with foil.

Close curtains before it gets dark.

Line curtains with thermal/blackout lining.

Turn the thermostat down by a degree. Most people won't notice this but it makes a huge difference to bills.

Check on the comparison sites every 6 months and make sure you are still on the best deal. Loyalty does not pay!

close the door to the room you are in.

Put another layer on before turning on the heating.

*Her*

By *els_BellsWoman  over a year ago

with the moon n stars somewhere in gtr manc

Could try a certain switch site.

Found on a basic search could save just shy of £100 a year. Better in my pocket than theirs.

As I now live alone, I never switch the central heating on, just the gas fire, they have decreased my monthly payment over £20 per month

When it's cold get the family together and all sit round a candle

If it gets really cold light the candle xx

Speak with your energy provider and ask about the Warm Homes Scheme.

Putting it simply, if you are in receipt of 2 benefits, ie Council Tax, Hosuing benefit, JSA, ESA you ,ay qaulify for a payment of £120 towards your electric bill.

Check it out.

It's a government run scheme and there is a link to the site. If Admin are happy to allow it, I'll post the link on this forum.

If I'm home on my own, I go round next door and cuddle up in bed with my neighbours missus.

It's great fun, and we both save some leccy

By *oxy_minxWoman  over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

Sorry, I like my comforts too much, heating always on here

By *urreyfun2008Man  over a year ago

East Grinstead

The wood fire and odd candle can cope usually, but house chilled down in the last week, so gave the central heating a burst today, 12 celcius is pushing it a bit too low in the lounge.

Central heating is usually only on an hour in morning and evening, otherwise a small electric heater for on demand heat.

Last winter ran at around £100 a month bill, this winter £50. All electric here, no gas option.

I've just rolled out the thicker duvet as the heating doesn't run overnight.

One tip I can give though to make your bath stay warmer for much longer is to take off the bath panel and stuff the void under the bath with insulation (I used the insulation much like Rockwool but is made from recycled plastic). Then put the bath panel back. Bath stays warmer and so does the bathroom as all the warm air doesn't heat up a huge void under the bath.

A good shag under the duvet

By *urreyfun2008Man  over a year ago

East Grinstead

I am available for hire as a human hot water bottle

recycle jiffy bags by stuffing them down behind your radiators. Added bonus you don't lose stuff dropping down behind them either.

"Candles in the livingroom. They look nice and give off more heat than most people realise..... well they do if you have a few 9 tealight holders. Save the nice smelling ones for when you have company.... and buy a sack of cheap ones for when you don't."

Gives the firemen something to do when you set fire to the curtains too!

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"The customer never wins, unless you have solar panels fitted then the energy company will pay you!!!

And now the Government are trying to reduce the amount of money that you are paid to pump excess power back into the network.

As you say, 'The customer never wins' "

actually they are only cutting the generation tariff, not the export (that remains at a steady 3.1p/kWh)

and the reason they are cutting it is because the cost of the technology has come down so they are adjusting the FIT to bring the return on investment back on line with the original 4% the FIT's were designed to give.

» Add a new message to this topic