FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > The times they are a changin’

The times they are a changin’

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

So I was in the Apple store trying to sort my phone out yesterday, the hipster employee asked if I had my phone with me, I said I did. He said ‘Amazing!’

I replied if you think that’s amazing you should see what I can do with a ukele and a unicycle. A Blank expression greeted me.

I then went over to HMV, I heard these lads talking, one said I love these old bands, I looked over expecting to see a Hermans Hermits album or something, but he was holding a Arctic Monkeys album, to me they’re still an up and coming band.

Anyway, HMV could be closing down, could this be the end of physical music and what will happen to independent record shops, would be a real shame to see them go ?!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

Independent record shops will be fine. Totally different kettle of fish to the overheads involved in running a chain.

Kindles and e-readers have been around a while now.

People still buy books.

A

By *olgateMan  over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

HMV haven’t changed their business plan in a 100 years

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"HMV haven’t changed their business plan in a 100 years

"

What sell records from a shop, not much else they can do, apart from selling online ?!

By *crumdiddlyumptiousMan  over a year ago

Just like blockbusters the only difference is people will always buy records so they will keep the independent stores going

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Independent record shops will be like antique shops; until the last vinyl or CD is smashed to smithereens.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Real shame loved a good old HMV browse when DVD’s were a thing.

Makes sense if nobody buys anything. Wouldn’t surprise me if the game stores go as well soon. With everything being downloaded.

HMVs price structure was erratic, once quite a few years back i bought the Ghostbusters 1+2 double box set for 10.99, also in the same slot was the individual movies both priced at 19.99 each

As for movies, i stream most apart from the odd blu-ray for my special collections, mainstream music i use spotify for.

I will still continue to buy vinyl though but usually get it from independent stores.

It will be sad to see HMV vanish from the high street . The lads in my local HMV have become friends , we talk music and have a laugh , plus I have a zillion points on my pure card .

There will always be room for independent record shops , I love seeking them out when I go to a new town or city . A haven of sanity in a mad world

By *uzz And WoodyCouple  over a year ago

Maidstone

I’m old school and love a hard copy of anything. Sadly, we’re living in the throw away digital world now and the sentimental attraction to anything has now died. Sad times ahead

Ed

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

I use Spotify just to kill off HMV

some of the artistry that went into the album covers was amazing. does look the same a cd cover over pic from a download.

By *obyn GravesTV/TS  over a year ago

1127 walnut avenue

surely no one buys stuff from hmv ..you just go in there to kill some time at dinner break...browse through the stock and then order it for half the price from amazon...

Did you get your phone sorted in the end then OP?

C

» Add a new message to this topic