FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Package Tours are Hella Expensive!!!

Package Tours are Hella Expensive!!!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I (M) need some help. My dad has decided to come visit (from Australia) and his gf started looking at package/coach tours. The ones they are seriously considering are all around £165-200/day per person!

Only one of these comes anywhere near us and only for one night with the highlight being a practice round at St Andrews's Old Course.

For the sort of money they are spending I want to do a self drive and B&B type alternative that actually gets them some real places not just point out window as they cruise by on a bus.

If you were to recommend a day (or two) sight seeing in your local area what would be the have to do things?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"I (M) need some help. My dad has decided to come visit (from Australia) and his gf started looking at package/coach tours. The ones they are seriously considering are all around £165-200/day per person!

Only one of these comes anywhere near us and only for one night with the highlight being a practice round at St Andrews's Old Course.

For the sort of money they are spending I want to do a self drive and B&B type alternative that actually gets them some real places not just point out window as they cruise by on a bus.

If you were to recommend a day (or two) sight seeing in your local area what would be the have to do things?"

I'd hate to be stuck running to someone else's schedule - and also stuck on a coach with random strangers you may find irritating after 5 minutes.

I think a lot of overseas tourists, particularly those from the USA and Australia forget how small the UK is in comparison to home. Statistically in both countries many have never even left their own state, let alone country. You could drive the length of the UK in the time it would take to cross many American/Australian states.

Tell them to hire a camper. Way better, more flexible, possibly comfier than many tour B&B's and i'd guess a damn site cheaper.

I've done it in Oz and it's a great way to see the country. Same over here. Nothing better than a good road trip.

A

"Tell them to hire a camper. Way better, more flexible, possibly comfier than many tour B&B's and i'd guess a damn site cheaper.

I've done it in Oz and it's a great way to see the country. Same over here. Nothing better than a good road trip.

A "

Telling them to hire a camper without a recommended itinerary it's much of an idea. I need to give some suggested sights. The ones on the tours all read like cookie cutter yawns.

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Tell them to hire a camper. Way better, more flexible, possibly comfier than many tour B&B's and i'd guess a damn site cheaper.

A

Telling them to hire a camper without a recommended itinerary it's much of an idea. I need to give some suggested sights. The ones on the tours all read like cookie cutter yawns."

This is where tripadvisor comes in handy.

I've never been to a foreign country without trawling it's pages and seeing what's about.

You can build your own 'to do list' and even plan your own itinerary if you like.

So much better than being stuck with someone else's idea of what you should go and see/do.

A

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

A

Telling them to hire a camper without a recommended itinerary it's much of an idea. I need to give some suggested sights. The ones on the tours all read like cookie cutter yawns."

They're your family, surely you must have an idea what they'd like?

The very fact that they think a coach tour with a game of golf included is a good idea suggests my recommendations would not be for them

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

What kind of areas are you looking at? This would be a start otherwise you’d have suggestions from here there and everywhere. There’s obviously places of interest along the way but where do you want the trip to start and end ?

By *orkie321bWoman  over a year ago

Nottingham

OP they are your family visiting your part of the UK. Surely you would have a better idea of what there is to do that may interest them than a load of random strangers on the internet!

"They're your family, surely you must have an idea what they'd like?

The very fact that they think a coach tour with a game of golf included is a good idea suggests my recommendations would not be for them"

The whole point is the the fact he has zero interest in Golf. I mentioned it as an example of it being 'cookie cutter'. He'd have a much better day walking around the ruins, visiting the bunker, and having a plate of nachos at the Whey Pat.

I can and have given full day suggestions around Scotland, it's England and Wales I don't know enough about.

"What kind of areas are you looking at? This would be a start otherwise you’d have suggestions from here there and everywhere. There’s obviously places of interest along the way but where do you want the trip to start and end ?"

If someone said "What are the different and interesting things we can drive around and see?" in your local area. What would you suggest? The best local knowledge is usually from the locals, not the companies that get the biggest kick back...

"OP they are your family visiting your part of the UK. Surely you would have a better idea of what there is to do that may interest them than a load of random strangers on the internet!"

Random strangers are the best source of interesting things to do! You know your local region, you know what you would recommend friends and friends of family to go and visit over and above anything else.

My dad wanted to come and spend some time with me, his partner said "I'll come with" and then bestowed the virtues of organised tours... The list of stuff on the tour itinerary is like a school trip and misses out so much stuff and for the money they can do so much better. I just need ideas of a full day in various areas around England and Wales.

» Add a new message to this topic