FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Attention span

Attention span

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *l6789 OP   Man  over a year ago

croydon

Is it just me or do people in their 20’s have very limited attention spans and vocabulary limited to no more than a few words at a time?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *SAchickWoman  over a year ago

Hillside desolate

It's just you

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

You're not in your 20's.

You do live in Croydon though.

croydon

"You do live in Croydon though."

I don’t that’s just where I work

Yeah...no...what?

Well I ....zzzzzzzzzz

It’s just you I’m afraid

Although I do tend to be short with men I’m not interested in

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Not all people in their twenties have limited attention span and vocabulary some do but so do some people of all ages.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

People said it about us ten years ago, people will be saying it about teenagers in ten years. It's the circle of life.

By *ubiousOatcakeMan  over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

"Is it just me or do people in their 20’s have very limited attention spans and vocabulary limited to no more than a few words at a time?"

Did you know that, when you were in your twenties, somebody was saying the same thing about you and your peers? And, when that person was in their twenties, somebody said the same thing about them.

Let us know when you have an original thought.

By *andonmessMan  over a year ago

A world all of his own

Oh look, a pretty butterfly...

croydon

"It’s just you I’m afraid

Although I do tend to be short with men I’m not interested in "

Must just be me being the boring uninteresting kind of guy that makes women unenthusiastic. Or perhaps they just don’t know what they are missing if they momentarily engage in a bit of a chat

Forum Mod

East Sussex

In fact I'm in my sixties and have a very limited attention span for certain things. Football is one and corporate meetings another.

croydon

"Is it just me or do people in their 20’s have very limited attention spans and vocabulary limited to no more than a few words at a time?

Did you know that, when you were in your twenties, somebody was saying the same thing about you and your peers? And, when that person was in their twenties, somebody said the same thing about them.

Is there such thing as an original thought?

Let us know when you have an original thought."

Manchester (she/her)

Must just be me being the boring uninteresting kind of guy that makes women unenthusiastic. Or perhaps they just don’t know what they are missing if they momentarily engage in a bit of a chat"

Maybe you're failing to engage them. So it's a specific problem rather than a generational issue. Maybe.

By *ubiousOatcakeMan  over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

"Is there such thing as an original thought?"

Oh my, he might just work it out...

Manchester (she/her)

"Is there such thing as an original thought?

Oh my, he might just work it out..."

*snort*

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Must just be me being the boring uninteresting kind of guy that makes women unenthusiastic. Or perhaps they just don’t know what they are missing if they momentarily engage in a bit of a chat"

It's probably neither. The most likely explanation is that you're just not compatible with the people you're contacting in that age group if there are communication difficulties

"You do live in Croydon though.

I don’t that’s just where I work "

Can you get a location move?

I don't think its limited to a specific age range.

Friends/family that come round to visit are always preoccupied by their pissing phones so much so I'm contemplating a phone amnesty box as you come in, my teens are like it, hubbys uncle is like it (60's) and everyone inbetween...it really pisses me off that noone seems able to hold conversation these days.

"People said it about us ten years ago, people will be saying it about teenagers in ten years. It's the circle of life. "

That's a Disney song isn't it? Now where were we...? FECK!

croydon

"I don't think its limited to a specific age range.

Friends/family that come round to visit are always preoccupied by their pissing phones so much so I'm contemplating a phone amnesty box as you come in, my teens are like it, hubbys uncle is like it (60's) and everyone inbetween...it really pisses me off that noone seems able to hold conversation these days."

I was out in town for diner and a night out with a group of friends not long ago and the table opposite all guys in their 20’s on their phones the entire time and barely spoke to each other the 3 hours we were there.

The ban the phone box is a good idea

By *anOnFire69Man  over a year ago

The bedroom

Squirrel!!!!

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman  over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

I'm 48 & have the attention span of a goldfish

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Friends/family that come round to visit are always preoccupied by their pissing phones so much so I'm contemplating a phone amnesty box as you come in, my teens are like it, hubbys uncle is like it (60's) and everyone inbetween...it really pisses me off that noone seems able to hold conversation these days."

Also some people just haven't mastered the art of conversation. I have friends where I feel I have to keep the conversation going or we'd end up in silence and friends where we don't shut up from the minute we meet until we part and then we have the whatsapp because we forgot something we meant to say.

My aunt was a great one for "a bit of conversation" unfortunately not all tje strangers she buttonholed were quite so keen

croydon

Friends/family that come round to visit are always preoccupied by their pissing phones so much so I'm contemplating a phone amnesty box as you come in, my teens are like it, hubbys uncle is like it (60's) and everyone inbetween...it really pisses me off that noone seems able to hold conversation these days.

Also some people just haven't mastered the art of conversation. I have friends where I feel I have to keep the conversation going or we'd end up in silence and friends where we don't shut up from the minute we meet until we part and then we have the whatsapp because we forgot something we meant to say.

My aunt was a great one for "a bit of conversation" unfortunately not all tje strangers she buttonholed were quite so keen "

True, conversation is two way though and hard to get going when the person you are speaking to replies with a few words after you’ve spent time writing a long message. Or doesn’t offer anything back into it, other than thanks or a favourite ‘lol’

I was out in town for diner and a night out with a group of friends not long ago and the table opposite all guys in their 20’s on their phones the entire time and barely spoke to each other the 3 hours we were there.

The ban the phone box is a good idea"

Fascinates me I go out of my way to ignore my phone if I am with company, unless it is important of course.

I'm seriously contemplating banning phones, if people choose not to come round at least my time wouldn't be spent in awkward silences whilst others view videos they've already shared on social media

I've been out tonight with 3 of My friends all early to mid 20's and apart from to check on taxis or check the time our phones weren't touched.

It's not an age thing- it's a person specific thing. It a reflection on the company.

My aunt was a great one for "a bit of conversation" unfortunately not all tje strangers she buttonholed were quite so keen "

Yes some haven't mastered the art, and it can be like pulling teeth. Those that visit us were once capable though!

Hubbys nan sounds a bit like your aunt - when shes approaching someone I sit back in silence awaiting their expression

Sonic the hedgehog actual name is ogilvie maurice hedgehog.

Sorry what were you talking about?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

My aunt was a great one for "a bit of conversation" unfortunately not all tje strangers she buttonholed were quite so keen

True, conversation is two way though and hard to get going when the person you are speaking to replies with a few words after you’ve spent time writing a long message. Or doesn’t offer anything back into it, other than thanks or a favourite ‘lol’"

Indeed. As I said earlier I think it shows incompatibility rather than the conversational skills of an entire age group. We have kids in their twenties and they're both adept at conversation. I know that doesn't disprove your theory but I don't think your sample proves it either.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Fascinates me I go out of my way to ignore my phone if I am with company, unless it is important of course.

I'm seriously contemplating banning phones, if people choose not to come round at least my time wouldn't be spent in awkward silences whilst others view videos they've already shared on social media "

It's plain rude. I also find it rude if I'm invited to someone's home and they turn the tv on

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Yes some haven't mastered the art, and it can be like pulling teeth. Those that visit us were once capable though!

Hubbys nan sounds a bit like your aunt - when shes approaching someone I sit back in silence awaiting their expression "

Oh the tales I could tell of my aunt

"Squirrel!!!! "

Hee hee, is he wearing a little waistcoat ? Look at his little arms, looks like he's playing bass guitar!

Oh, there's another one! Sorry, what was the question OP ?

By *hatYorkLadMan  over a year ago

York

The ones I serve with in their early 20's are fine and way ahead of their years both socially and worldly wise, but fucking hell the late teens/early 20's university students occupying the checkouts and cafes or generally milling about in York are on another planet

croydon

"I've been out tonight with 3 of My friends all early to mid 20's and apart from to check on taxis or check the time our phones weren't touched.

It's not an age thing- it's a person specific thing. It a reflection on the company."

In person I’m sure it’s different, but in an online context it’s hard to get a reflection of the company your talking to.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"The ones I serve with in their early 20's are fine and way ahead of their years both socially and worldly wise, but fucking hell the late teens/early 20's university students occupying the checkouts and cafes or generally milling about in York are on another planet "

By that reasoning they must think you are too

I'm seriously contemplating banning phones, if people choose not to come round at least my time wouldn't be spent in awkward silences whilst others view videos they've already shared on social media

It's plain rude. I also find it rude if I'm invited to someone's home and they turn the tv on "

100% agree on the tv. Hubbys nan is a bugger for using her tv to filter out any conversations she doesn't want to partake in (current affairs/politics etc), by turning the volume to full until you stop chatting and then she'll turn it down and start a conversation that suits her (rude/blunt observations).

"I've been out tonight with 3 of My friends all early to mid 20's and apart from to check on taxis or check the time our phones weren't touched.

It's not an age thing- it's a person specific thing. It a reflection on the company."

I agree, you see plenty of middle age people glued to their screens. It's just noticed more when younger people do it, cause old people like to moan about the youth.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

It's plain rude. I also find it rude if I'm invited to someone's home and they turn the tv on

100% agree on the tv. Hubbys nan is a bugger for using her tv to filter out any conversations she doesn't want to partake in (current affairs/politics etc), by turning the volume to full until you stop chatting and then she'll turn it down and start a conversation that suits her (rude/blunt observations)."

Oh dear .

If I'm invited somewhere and they turn the telly on I take it as my cue to leave.

The ban the phone box is a good idea"

Perhaps they were texting each other. Certainly seems to be more frequent with the younger people to just sit on their phones ignoring everyone around them, even their poor kids.

Perhaps they were texting each other. Certainly seems to be more frequent with the younger people to just sit on their phones ignoring everyone around them, even their poor kids. "

What are people going to do when all this technology crashes down around us

"Is it just me or do people in their 20’s have very limited attention spans and vocabulary limited to no more than a few words at a time?

"

Gotta love sweeping generalisations

Perhaps they were texting each other. Certainly seems to be more frequent with the younger people to just sit on their phones ignoring everyone around them, even their poor kids.

What are people going to do when all this technology crashes down around us"

Talk to each other.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Although I do tend to be short with men I’m not interested in "

You're 5'8", do you wear 6 inch stilettos when you fancy someone?

"

I know some very articulate and interesting 20 somethings. I think it's you op

croydon

Admittedly my opening message should have been ‘some people not all’

Generalisation aside it is my experience with the last few years being online and from the hundreds I’ve spoken to be it in group chats or privately. It is the younger ones that lack the social skills perhaps as a result of technology and not needing to rely on face to face.

Call me out and say otherwise but that’s my view and honest belief which won’t change. I’m sure there are younger people out there that defy my beliefs and I have meet a few but they are a minority and rare to find.

"Admittedly my opening message should have been ‘some people not all’

Generalisation aside it is my experience with the last few years being online and from the hundreds I’ve spoken to be it in group chats or privately. It is the younger ones that lack the social skills perhaps as a result of technology and not needing to rely on face to face.

Call me out and say otherwise but that’s my view and honest belief which won’t change. I’m sure there are younger people out there that defy my beliefs and I have meet a few but they are a minority and rare to find. "

That's cool. You asked if we experienced the same as you. It seems we don't all.

You're 5'8", do you wear 6 inch stilettos when you fancy someone? "

Godddddddd such a dad joke

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Admittedly my opening message should have been ‘some people not all’

Call me out and say otherwise but that’s my view and honest belief which won’t change. I’m sure there are younger people out there that defy my beliefs and I have meet a few but they are a minority and rare to find. "

It's fine. I made some pretty sweeping generalisations about men in their thirties the other day although I made it clear I knew I was stereotyping and that there were exceptions. I think in the on line world we need a sort of shorthand to narrow our search and there aren't many people who don't generalise in order to make decisions about who to meet.

there used to be a oh look at the kitty

» Add a new message to this topic