FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Car recommendation

Car recommendation

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *iger-blue OP   Woman  over a year ago

Crewe

Hello

I drive a Honda Civic 2.2 diesel turbo, 5 door hatchback. It's low-maintenance, only used to cost me a service plus a bit of oil a year.

It's over 10 years old has 90,000 miles on it.

But things are starting to go on it and a recent bill was just short of a grand.

So I'm looking to change the car, but can't seem to find anything that's as quick and economical.

I'd like a new to me, used car, that's less than £12k. Preferably with parking sensors.

I went to the Honda dealer, but they don't make anything with a 2.2 engine anymore and the 1.6 turbo diesel was like a snail in comparison to mine.

Has anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks in advance x

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Does it have to be quick?

Go 1.6 turbo petrol. Much better for the environment, probably cheaper to run and just as good performance.

Do not get a diesel car

Mondeo 2.0 diesel

By *udistnorthantsMan  over a year ago

Desborough

If you like the your current one wouldn't it be better to shell out the grand on repairs and keep the car that's given you lots of reliable miles so far rather than taking a punt on something unknown. 90000 miles on a well serviced diesel is nothing these days, it's practically only just run in.

I've got a Mercedes C200 2.1l diesel, fantastic to drive. Would recommend looking at the B Class though.

Have you tried a Focus or Smart car?

Make the jump to a hyb_ed- it’s the future.

Toyota or Lexus will get you something with lots of extras around a ‘64 plate for under £12000

Friend of mine has a 2.0 Mini Cooper diesel, it’s got 170bhp and it hits 60mph in just over 7 seconds not a bad car

By *issvvCouple  over a year ago

pontyclun

"If you like the your current one wouldn't it be better to shell out the grand on repairs and keep the car that's given you lots of reliable miles so far rather than taking a punt on something unknown. 90000 miles on a well serviced diesel is nothing these days, it's practically only just run in."

I had the same car and I got rid of it at 107,000 because everything else that goes at that sort of mileage (suspension, engine parts etc) cost a fortune compa_ed to other cars. The suspension arm and Ball joint cost me £140 each whereas on the Astra I have now it's only £30 each. Sell it now before the repair bill gets worse!

How many miles do you do a year? Any less than around 12000 you might be better off with a smaller engine turbo petrol as some are very economical and petrol is a lot cheaper. Astra 1.6 turbo, Golf (unsure on engines available), Skoda fabia or Octavia depending what size car you need, Ford do a 1.5 and 1.6 turbo.

Mr.

By *akie32Man  over a year ago

winchester

Often better the devil you know, unless you fancy a change, at least you know where you are with the one you have

By *J647Couple  over a year ago

Daventry

Take a look at Hyundai's range, my son bought one early this year 1.2 I20 got the lot on it reversing camera sat nav ,bought new £12500,did trip up motorway steady 70mph &got 54.8mpg

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

A mate has just got a Ford Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost. Nice performance (small turbo), economy, looks good, great to drive, no road tax.

I recently asked an RAC man 'which cars are you called out to the LEAST' (because I'm on the lookout for a new one myself) and he said Ford. He added that cars which have all manner of unnecessarily computer controlled stuff - Qashqai, for a random example - are the worst because for every technical add-on, there's a new thing to go wrong.

Crewe

"Does it have to be quick? "

Yes!! I don't drive like a hooligan all the time, but I do like to have the option!!

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

Forget engine capacity, check the horse power, lots of smaller engines now have more bhp than older larger cc engines. More economical to run too.

Crewe

"Go 1.6 turbo petrol. Much better for the environment, probably cheaper to run and just as good performance. "

Thanks for the advice, I haven't driven a turbo petrol. I'll try that.

Crewe

"I've got a Mercedes C200 2.1l diesel, fantastic to drive. Would recommend looking at the B Class though.

Have you tried a Focus or Smart car?"

I've conside_ed a Mercedes, but what's the maintenance cost like?

"Do not get a diesel car "

Why?

Crewe

"Make the jump to a hyb_ed- it’s the future.

Toyota or Lexus will get you something with lots of extras around a ‘64 plate for under £12000

"

What's the performance like on a hybrid? Are they quick?

Crewe

"If you like the your current one wouldn't it be better to shell out the grand on repairs and keep the car that's given you lots of reliable miles so far rather than taking a punt on something unknown. 90000 miles on a well serviced diesel is nothing these days, it's practically only just run in."

I love the car. But I'm just worried it's getting to that age, where things will start dropping off it and costing me a fortune to sort out.

Crewe

"If you like the your current one wouldn't it be better to shell out the grand on repairs and keep the car that's given you lots of reliable miles so far rather than taking a punt on something unknown. 90000 miles on a well serviced diesel is nothing these days, it's practically only just run in.

I had the same car and I got rid of it at 107,000 because everything else that goes at that sort of mileage (suspension, engine parts etc) cost a fortune compa_ed to other cars. The suspension arm and Ball joint cost me £140 each whereas on the Astra I have now it's only £30 each. Sell it now before the repair bill gets worse!

How many miles do you do a year? Any less than around 12000 you might be better off with a smaller engine turbo petrol as some are very economical and petrol is a lot cheaper. Astra 1.6 turbo, Golf (unsure on engines available), Skoda fabia or Octavia depending what size car you need, Ford do a 1.5 and 1.6 turbo.

Mr. "

It's been a great car, but what you've said is my worry, that things will start getting more expensive to fix.

I do less than 10000 miles a year, so yes you're probably right a petrol engine would be the way to go.

Thanks very much for the advice

Crewe

"Forget engine capacity, check the horse power, lots of smaller engines now have more bhp than older larger cc engines. More economical to run too. "

Yes that's a good point.

"Forget engine capacity, check the horse power, lots of smaller engines now have more bhp than older larger cc engines. More economical to run too. "

This but also look at torque figures too.

By *ocks99Man  over a year ago

Reading

Power wins arguments, torque wins races

Seriously, high bhp all well on paper, but if you're having to rev the nuts off it to get that power, it'll not be much fun to drive. Will stick with my 2.4 td thanks

Someone suggested a Toyota Hybrid.

Great in theory.

In practice, the dipped headlights are woeful to the point of dangerous in the unlit countryside. Possibly ok in a well lit city.

And Toyota and their dealers are totally unhelpful.

Either drive illegally on foglights or avoid like the plague

Crewe

"Forget engine capacity, check the horse power, lots of smaller engines now have more bhp than older larger cc engines. More economical to run too.

Seriously, high bhp all well on paper, but if you're having to rev the nuts off it to get that power, it'll not be much fun to drive. Will stick with my 2.4 td thanks "

What do you drive?

VW I have a 3.0v6 deisel touareg and that has massive amounts of power, fuel wise is a little bit higher than the golf gtd but its luxury and spacious.

Anything 1.6 or above is fairly fast these days. Find something in budget and what you like the look of. Go test drive it.

If you do 12k miles a year or more then diesel is best. Under 12k petrol or even electric if you don’t do many miles.

By *edMan  over a year ago

cambridgeshire

How do you know when buying a hybrid how much life is in the batteries? They don't last forever and are not cheap.

"How do you know when buying a hybrid how much life is in the batteries? They don't last forever and are not cheap."

Read the spec on manufacturer website / reviews

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

"Hello

I drive a Honda Civic 2.2 diesel turbo, 5 door hatchback. It's low-maintenance, only used to cost me a service plus a bit of oil a year.

But things are starting to go on it and a recent bill was just short of a grand.

So I'm looking to change the car, but can't seem to find anything that's as quick and economical.

I'd like a new to me, used car, that's less than £12k. Preferably with parking sensors.

I went to the Honda dealer, but they don't make anything with a 2.2 engine anymore and the 1.6 turbo diesel was like a snail in comparison to mine.

Thanks in advance x"

90000 miles is nothing for a Diesel engine, if you like the car and have spent £1000 on it getting things sorted why don't you keep it ?

Even Spending £12k on another vehicle doesn't mean you won't have problems.

"Make the jump to a hyb_ed- it’s the future.

What's the performance like on a hybrid? Are they quick?"

They’re unbelievable quick when pulling away.

For around 12k and you want something fast.

E46 bmw M3. Make sure it's had its run in service stamped as this is critical.

Top speed 155 (limited) should hit 60 from zero in about 5 seconds.

Don't be put off by high mileage ones as it's one of the best m series BMW made. Fantastic engine noise makes you want to go fast everywhere.

Reading

[Removed by poster at 27/12/18 13:15:43]

Reading

"Forget engine capacity, check the horse power, lots of smaller engines now have more bhp than older larger cc engines. More economical to run too.

Seriously, high bhp all well on paper, but if you're having to rev the nuts off it to get that power, it'll not be much fun to drive. Will stick with my 2.4 td thanks

What do you drive?"

Volvo S60 d5. 2007 model, the newer ones will have the d4 engine, not much slower....

By *unloversCouple  over a year ago

rotherham

Why is petrol better than a diesil

Crewe

What do you drive?

Volvo S60 d5. 2007 model, the newer ones will have the d4 engine, not much slower.... "

I'm about to go to Fords of Winsford, so will see if they've got any

the new mondeo is nice.280bhp on the 2.0tdci so plenty of power cheap tax i think its 20 quid if you buy one made before the new taxation class laws.titanium comes with full leather and built in say nav dab stereo.very nice to drive

Look at a Ford Fiesta 1.6 ST line quick as anything and you’ll get one on a 66 plate for about £12k

"I recently asked an RAC man 'which cars are you called out to the LEAST' (because I'm on the lookout for a new one myself) and he said Ford. He added that cars which have all manner of unnecessarily computer controlled stuff - Qashqai, for a random example - are the worst because for every technical add-on, there's a new thing to go wrong."

Actually my experience has been different. Always had a problem with my Ford Focus years ago. Never had a single issue with my Nissan Qashqai. My best car to date is Honda Civic. No problem at all and loved that car. F1 fans will know about the Senna/Honda relationship which makes Honda amazing to drive!

Having said that my dream car I have always wanted will be mine in 2019. It's all about...

#Mercedes

Can't wait

Mk7 Golf Gti. Still do 40+ mpg on the motorway, great fun to drive and reasonable power.

"Mk7 Golf Gti. Still do 40+ mpg on the motorway, great fun to drive and reasonable power."

Not for £12k though

Mk6 Golf GTI, Audi S3 or even normal A3, all quick an quiet night fuel efficient

Reading

"Why is petrol better than a diesil"

Depends how you use them. Modern diesels need to get up to full temp to avoid the filters getting clogged up. A good run every week or two will do that. If your trips are all short ones petrol will save a lot of grief.

Crewe

"I recently asked an RAC man 'which cars are you called out to the LEAST' (because I'm on the lookout for a new one myself) and he said Ford. He added that cars which have all manner of unnecessarily computer controlled stuff - Qashqai, for a random example - are the worst because for every technical add-on, there's a new thing to go wrong.

Actually my experience has been different. Always had a problem with my Ford Focus years ago. Never had a single issue with my Nissan Qashqai. My best car to date is Honda Civic. No problem at all and loved that car. F1 fans will know about the Senna/Honda relationship which makes Honda amazing to drive!

Having said that my dream car I have always wanted will be mine in 2019. It's all about...

#Mercedes

Can't wait "

Thanks for your reply, which Mercedes are you going for?

By *m3232Man  over a year ago

maidenhead

Myself you can’t go wrong with a petrol ford or Toyota Honda or Mazda. Forget any used hybrid.

I recently went from a 2.0 diesel turbo to a 1.6 petrol turbo and I'm not convinced I did the right thing. Lots of tech too, most of which I switch off..

By *arnsley guy100Man  over a year ago

Sheffield

Just your car has a "maintenance" bill of around a grand doesn't mean its time to get shut.... Have the "maintenance" done and your trusty Honda will serve you well.

I assume its due for service, k ocking noise arounnd the front wheels, maybe breakpads and a lights come on associated with emmisions?

Usuall stuff with civics as the engines quite big and heavy so it causes the front end parts to wear or when going over the pit holes

Might seem painful paying a grand out but a grand is less money than you'll have to pay for an upgrade.

I've sold cars for years, I'm a car salesman basicly and so many times I've seen people pay £1000s to "upgrade" in a simular situation and the car they've "upgraded" to is due in the next year or so simular "maintenance" bills...

We usually sort their px out for a few hund_ed pound and put it back up for sale at a £1000 plus profit and their gone within 3 weeks

By *rK MrsJCouple  over a year ago

Kidderminster

Have a look at Hyundai had a lantra estate only spent about £300 in the 10 years I had it.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

I know you said car recommendations, but can you be tempted to visit the dark side and go for a motorbike???

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

"I know you said car recommendations, but can you be tempted to visit the dark side and go for a motorbike???"

I was going to suggest saving 3k of the budget on a used superbikes for summer thrills

Crewe

"Just your car has a "maintenance" bill of around a grand doesn't mean its time to get shut.... Have the "maintenance" done and your trusty Honda will serve you well.

I assume its due for service, k ocking noise arounnd the front wheels, maybe breakpads and a lights come on associated with emmisions?

Usuall stuff with civics as the engines quite big and heavy so it causes the front end parts to wear or when going over the pit holes

Might seem painful paying a grand out but a grand is less money than you'll have to pay for an upgrade.

I've sold cars for years, I'm a car salesman basicly and so many times I've seen people pay £1000s to "upgrade" in a simular situation and the car they've "upgraded" to is due in the next year or so simular "maintenance" bills...

We usually sort their px out for a few hund_ed pound and put it back up for sale at a £1000 plus profit and their gone within 3 weeks "

Thanks for your reply. The car has been absolutely amazing. The maintenance has been so low on it, which I think is why the nearly grand maintenance bill was such a shock. It had a service and MOT and things needed doing on it, so I just panicked. But I'm going to keep it and just keep it running until it eventually dies!

Crewe

"I recently went from a 2.0 diesel turbo to a 1.6 petrol turbo and I'm not convinced I did the right thing. Lots of tech too, most of which I switch off.."

Is the 1.6 as fast as the 2l diesel?

Crewe

"Myself you can’t go wrong with a petrol ford or Toyota Honda or Mazda. Forget any used hybrid. "

I've had a Mazda in the past, and I totally agree. I had a 323 while ago and it was a really nippy car

By *est Wales WifeCouple  over a year ago

Near Carmarthen

"Go 1.6 turbo petrol. Much better for the environment, "

Well maintained diesel cars, built to the latest standards have similar emissions to new petrol vehicles.

The whole Diesel 'bad' is just a distortion of the full story. All internal combustion engines polite; just in different ways.

Turning to electric vehicles may have some advantages but then you have to factor in the pollution from battery construction, power lines for distribution and power generation. In many cases the pollution is just be shifted from one place to another.

"Hello

Thanks in advance x"

My friend has one and another had one and regret getting rid of it even after they spent some money on it . The 2.2 Honda is a great car . Having spent a grand on it and if it does not owe you anymore keep going with it . Cars are money pits.

Do not buy an electric car, or a hybrid. Do not buy another diesel (unless you're doing well over 20,000 miles a year on long-ish journeys).

Stick to a petrol car for the best all-round value for your money.

Go for something that is relatively common, so that you can easily get spare parts and most decent garages can work on (main dealer prices tend to be silly these days).

Apart from that, there IS a lot of choice out there, and its down to personal preference as to what takes your fancy.

Seen a v6 Capri ghia for sale bout £13k

No point getting anything too fast,smart lol motorway n change in speeding fines/points will change that

For 10 k miles a year wouldn't spend twelve grand,plenty in two to three grand range,Astra sport hatch,got 55 plate Astra at mo 108k miles 55 mpg cheap to fix cost £1400 two years back,the intervening 50 k miles at 40 p mile well paid for it

» Add a new message to this topic