FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Is It OK to Be Fat? | Good Morning Britain

Is It OK to Be Fat? | Good Morning Britain

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I just watched this.

Is being obese OK, or does accepting obesity as a cultural norm harm society both mentally and physically?

What do you guys think?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

what do you think?

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

How does it harm society mentally?

Ooooooh what a topic, so naughty choosing something so prickly so close to Christmas

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"I just watched this.

Is being obese OK, or does accepting obesity as a cultural norm harm society both mentally and physically?

What do you guys think?

"

I don't think it's ok.

However neither is demonising people when you don't know their individual circumstances.

Which seems to be happening a lot on here recently......

A

"I just watched this.

What do you guys think?

I don't think it's ok.

However neither is demonising people when you don't know their individual circumstances.

A"

How about all bodies deserve respect and minding your own business?

People who are obese need support rather than ridicule, however it should not be considered ok or the norm, especially in children.

Doesn't bother me I'm who I am I eat and drink what and when I want also I won't be the one carrying the box

I know people who are of a larger size who eat well and exercise.

I also know skinny people who never do any exercise or eat healthily.

Ones BMI would rate them as unhealthy, the other BMI would fall into a normal category.

All sizes should be celebrated, we are all beautiful and we are unique.

Some people have medical reasons for being overweight. It's not all black and white tbf.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

could no longer give a flying fuck

It's none of my business

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"I just watched this.

What do you guys think?

I don't think it's ok.

A

How about all bodies deserve respect and minding your own business?"

Yep. That sums it up nicely.

When I said I didn't think it was ok it was regarding it being accepted as a cultural norm. I don't think anyone would be keen on that.

Probably should have worded it clearer.

A

"what do you think?"

Firstly, this isnt about fat shaming so please can the Keyboars warriors of FAB hold your fingers back - Lets make this a discussion, not a fight.

I tihnk its perfectly fine as long as we can be transparent about the impact without people taking offence.

In a study of 17,000 there wasn't a single person that was obese who had less chance of physical illness than sombody at a normal weight. I see it as the same as smoking. who cares if someone smokes, but its silly to fight for the glamourisation of something that is "potentially" harmful. Espcially when it comes to children.

p.s. This will not put me off eating a shitload at Christmas

By *ibbyhunterCouple  over a year ago

keighley

Obese people put the national health service under pressure .but there again so do smokers and drinkers .

For your own long term health being obese is not good. Take the emotion out of it and that is the bottom line.

Fat shaming is a type of bullying and bullying of any type is not acceptable which is really a seperate topic.

By *ross-eyed MaryMan  over a year ago

Salisbury

It wasn't that long ago people thought it was "OK" to smoke and drink drive. I'm sure it'll go the same way.

By *ampshirehotwifeWoman  over a year ago

Hampshire

"I know people who are of a larger size who eat well and exercise.

Ones BMI would rate them as unhealthy, the other BMI would fall into a normal category.

Some people have medical reasons for being overweight. It's not all black and white tbf.

"

Exactly this. Just because you are not overweight doesn't make you healthy.

I've known underweight people to have heart attacks because they are so unhealthy.

By *arlomaleMan  over a year ago

darlington

"Obese people put the national health service under pressure .but there again so do smokers and drinkers ."
obese people pay taxes so entitled to use the nhs

By *arnsley guy100Man  over a year ago

Sheffield

It's unhealthy and cost NHS millions later in life..??

So being fat and lazy is wrong yes.. It selfishly takes away care from people who are ill through no fault of their own.

Stop eating large kebabs!

Being "Big boned" is another

"Obese people put the national health service under pressure .but there again so do smokers and drinkers ."

So do swingers!

I think we aren't allowed to think or have an opinion anymore.

It is this week as far as I'm concerned. I will not care one iota what's going in my mouth now until January !

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

I have worked in the NHS for over 30yrs. People get ill, we are rich enough in this country to treat them free at the point of delivery.

Lots not blame the poor, sick or disabled. The biggest health indicator remains the richer the individual, the better health they have. This includes living longer.

Looks like I'm going to bring down the NHS

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Hereford

It's the flip side of fashion etc traditionally having promoted a dangerously underweight body type.

It's now "body positive" to promote obesity.

It'd be quite pleasant if healthy body types were promoted by the media, but it appears that would be far too sensible.

By *ea monkeyMan  over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

I don't agree in any way shape or form with body shaming, in terms of people being comfortable with themselves and their shape then that's what's important.

Personally I was overweight and miserable so I did something about it, not everyone is able to do that, however many are and don't. That's their prerogative and I won't judge them for that.

Many many illnesses are lifestyle dependant, not just smoking and drinking, who are we to judge people for lifestyle choices that are viewed negatively by society?!

By *wansfeetCouple  over a year ago

Guisborough

I’m overweight. The doctor says I fall into the obese category, but I’m healthier now than I ever was when I was slim. I don’t think we should “promote” being overweight but there’s certainly a stigma to it, and some people are very rude about it (to my face).

I’m very happy with my weight and comfortable with my size. I don’t want to lose weight, I’m very happy as I am.

Kiki x

"I think we aren't allowed to think or have an opinion anymore. "

It's a shame that this is the case. I think it makes us dishonest to a degree. We suppress our true feelings to conform socially. The result is of this is resentment without a full understanding as to why. That's why I would opt for transparency, but that's just me

"I think we aren't allowed to think or have an opinion anymore.

It's a shame that this is the case. I think it makes us dishonest to a degree. We suppress our true feelings to conform socially. The result is of this is resentment without a full understanding as to why. That's why I would opt for transparency, but that's just me "

To add to this, 4 people have messaged me privately to express there opinion. When I asked why this didn't share their thoughts publicly, they said it's because they didn't want to offend others.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"I think we aren't allowed to think or have an opinion anymore. "

People are allowed to have opinions. It's just that some lack the intelligence to express it without being offensive.

I've no problem with people thinking I'm dat. I am fat. But people very rarely leave it there.

Yes, obesity is a big problem in society but it isn't the only problem. It isn't the only thing putting strain on the NHS.

People struggle to understand that in order to be successful at weight loss you have to accept who you are now and acknowledge that you want to change. You shouldn't have to ask permission from the body beautiful to do that.

By *loswingersCouple  over a year ago

Gloucester

"I just watched this.

What do you guys think?

"

I personally think that having any opinion on any subject matter will offend someone , so I’m saying nothing .

By *ynecplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

Personally, No being obese is not ok but at the same time neither is being led to believe that Size 0 is the perfect bodyshape. It is about being health inside, eating healthy and taking moderate exercise.

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgowish

Its a personal choice. Im slim but could quite easily become fat if i changed my eating habbits.

It’s not good health wise and will affect you in later life, it’s upto each person how they run their life but you have to look at the bigger picture....

It's a shame that this is the case. I think it makes us dishonest to a degree. We suppress our true feelings to conform socially. The result is of this is resentment without a full understanding as to why. That's why I would opt for transparency, but that's just me

To add to this, 4 people have messaged me privately to express there opinion. When I asked why this didn't share their thoughts publicly, they said it's because they didn't want to offend others."

Exactly.

People are allowed to have opinions. It's just that some lack the intelligence to express it without being offensive.

I've no problem with people thinking I'm dat. I am fat. But people very rarely leave it there.

Yes, obesity is a big problem in society but it isn't the only problem. It isn't the only thing putting strain on the NHS.

People struggle to understand that in order to be successful at weight loss you have to accept who you are now and acknowledge that you want to change. You shouldn't have to ask permission from the body beautiful to do that. "

The body beautiful?

Why would anyone need to ask permission to want to change themselves?

As long as you’re happy what does it matter. If you’re not happy at least you can do something about it. There are other things that unfortunately you can’t do anything about.

By *elly39devonCouple  over a year ago

tavistock

its surely a health question, being overweight put undue pressure on joints and can lead to loads of problems. Then there is diabetes its becoming a major issue and costing the nhs millions of pounds, losing weight can reverse this.

We had family who had to have amputations due to diabetes you really wouldn't wish it on anyone and its avoidable

By *omfilthMan  over a year ago

Gloucester

"I just watched this.

What do you guys think?

"

Being obese is upto the individual, no one can change that , only they can.... but... obesity is one of the biggest strains on the NHS today, I think along with smoking? (But let’s not go there as we are not on about it)

Accepting it as a cultural norm, I believe this will harm society, especially in children who will not know any difference, only what is put on the plate in front of them. Will it affect mentally? Umm ... yeah maybe in some cases..

Just put Antony Joshua’s stats into a a bmi calculator. Apparently his obese.

By *hedevilwearspradaWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere nearby

My weight and my mental health are closely linked. You can tell by looking at me, how good my mental health is - the bigger I am, the worse it is.

I began suffering from an eating disorder when I was 12, after a throwaway comment from one of my parents. I never sought help til my mid 20s, when it had such a significant effect on my mental health that I was suicidal. Very regular intervention from the NHS eating disorders service helped a lot, and it became a lot more manageable.

However, it’s not something I have fully recovered from and food is my way of coping. I used to feel massively ashamed of my body, and never ever felt good enough.

I have done every single diet known to man, with varying degrees of success - to the point I required emergency surgery as I made myself so ill I suffered liver damage.

The past 8 months or so have brought people into my life who accept me, and my size, and have made me see that it isn’t just what’s on the outside. I’ve been in situations where I’ve actually felt sexy, and sexual, and that’s a new experience for me. I’ve even been naked with people - something that a year ago was unheard of. Don’t get me wrong, i think I’d be happier if I was 6 stone lighter, but I’m starting to believe that being big doesn’t mean I’m a bad person, or that I don’t deserve love or affection or hot dirty filthy sex. And that’s a huge shift in my thinking.

People will judge me for being big, and I’ll still compare myself unfavourable to others. But to me I’m a work in progress, and the more I love myself and nurture myself, the more likely I am to change unhealthy habits and weight loss may be a bonus, but it’s not going to be a focus.

By *hedevilwearspradaWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere nearby

I have also had a lot of wine, so none of that might make any sense

By *limmatureguyMan  over a year ago

Tonbridge

I blame the food manufacturers and the food outlets. They shamelessly try to sell you as many calories as they possibly can to maximise their profits. When you go into a cafe for a coffee they will try to get you to buy the syrup and a cake or pastry to take some extra money from you. At Burger King, when you ask for a meal, they don't ask if you would like a large or regular now, they now ask if you would like a large or super size.

The government recommend 400 calories for breakfast and 600 calories for lunch and for dinner, the rest is drinks and snacks to take you up to 2000-2400 per day. So why the hell are Burger King selling a Whopper Double meal with 1275 calories in it (and much bigger meals). At least when Dominos sell you a large pizza they can claim it is to be shared, but places like Mcdonalds sell these huge meals as single portions. These outlets should pay for the trouble they are creating for the nation.

By *arly StagesCouple  over a year ago

Penwortham

As a obese drinker and smoker I pay a substantial amount in Tax on tobacco, alcohol and VAT/Sugar tax. Which will easily cover what it costs the NHS to treat me.

"I blame the food manufacturers and the food outlets. They shamelessly try to sell you as many calories as they possibly can to maximise their profits. When you go into a cafe for a coffee they will try to get you to buy the syrup and a cake or pastry to take some extra money from you. At Burger King, when you ask for a meal, they don't ask if you would like a large or regular now, they now ask if you would like a large or super size.

The government recommend 400 calories for breakfast and 600 calories for lunch and for dinner, the rest is drinks and snacks to take you up to 2000-2400 per day. So why the hell are Burger King selling a Whopper Double meal with 1275 calories in it (and much bigger meals). At least when Dominos sell you a large pizza they can claim it is to be shared, but places like Mcdonalds sell these huge meals as single portions. These outlets should pay for the trouble they are creating for the nation."

You sound like all those folk that whine about all the rich food they are 'forced' to eat at Christmas.

Guess what? You dont have to eat it!

"could no longer give a flying fuck"

Same here

By *bonynivoryCouple  over a year ago

market harborough

Maybe we need to focus more on being healthy rather than just saying someone is too fat or too thin.

Mrs

"It wasn't that long ago people thought it was "OK" to smoke and drink drive. I'm sure it'll go the same way. "

Don't forget unprotected sex.

By *irkydirkyMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

I don’t think anybody accepts obesity as ok and a cultural norm..

The problem is that it will eventually affect your health.

Cardiff

[Removed by poster at 23/12/18 19:52:20]

Cardiff

"Just put Antony Joshua’s stats into a a bmi calculator. Apparently his obese.

"

BMI has been redundant for quite a while now and isn’t used by anyone relevant

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"For your own long term health being obese is not good. Take the emotion out of it and that is the bottom line.

Fat shaming is a type of bullying and bullying of any type is not acceptable which is really a seperate topic. "

Yup, this exactly, we have to separate the two but accept that obesity is not benign.

Obesity will never become a social norm, if it was there would be no money making weight loss programmes. Also obesity does lead to long term health implications so being in a health weight range is better for you in the long term.

Also as a woman we are judged harshly based on our weight, and often we relate our self worth to weight. I have been classed as thin, fat and obese during my lifetime and can honestly state being thin is healthier. If being thin was easy then we would all be thin. Often there are psychological implications to weight gain and iatrogenic causes. The NHS are trying to tackle the problem but maybe too little too late.

Tonbridge

[Removed by poster at 23/12/18 20:19:57]

Tonbridge

"Just put Antony Joshua’s stats into a a bmi calculator. Apparently his obese.

BMI has been redundant for quite a while now and isn’t used by anyone relevant"

Ah, the old '(insert sportsman's name here) is considered obese using BMI as a measure' argument. If you are a professional athlete, bodybuilder or heavy weight boxer then feel free to ignore BMI. For everyone else it's a pretty good indicator.

I’m overweight because Ive been on steroids for years, don’t presume fat means you eat too much.

Meds can make you fat.

Cardiff

"I’m overweight because Ive been on steroids for years, don’t presume fat means you eat too much.

Meds can make you fat.

"

I’m also on prednisone longterm..

By *omfilthMan  over a year ago

Gloucester

"I blame the food manufacturers and the food outlets. They shamelessly try to sell you as many calories as they possibly can to maximise their profits. When you go into a cafe for a coffee they will try to get you to buy the syrup and a cake or pastry to take some extra money from you. At Burger King, when you ask for a meal, they don't ask if you would like a large or regular now, they now ask if you would like a large or super size.

How can you blame the food manufacturers??!! Really??? You are not pinned down and force fed by them. People need to take responsibility for their actions and stop blaming everyone else!

The government recommend 400 calories for breakfast and 600 calories for lunch and for dinner, the rest is drinks and snacks to take you up to 2000-2400 per day. So why the hell are Burger King selling a Whopper Double meal with 1275 calories in it (and much bigger meals). At least when Dominos sell you a large pizza they can claim it is to be shared, but places like Mcdonalds sell these huge meals as single portions. These outlets should pay for the trouble they are creating for the nation."

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgowish

I am slim and eat loads but most of the stuff i eat is healthy foodstuffs. I eat alot of fruit and always read food labels. Over the next couple of weeks my eating habits will change due to the festive season. I will over indulge in rich and fatty foods washed down with too much wine. These two weeks i will feel different. I will feel tired and sluggish and my skin will feel greasy and my energy levels will be low. People dont realise that eating healthy has so many plus points and is not just about maintaining a healthy weight.

"Obesity will never become a social norm, if it was there would be no money making weight loss programmes. Also obesity does lead to long term health implications so being in a health weight range is better for you in the long term.

Also as a woman we are judged harshly based on our weight, and often we relate our self worth to weight. I have been classed as thin, fat and obese during my lifetime and can honestly state being thin is healthier. If being thin was easy then we would all be thin. Often there are psychological implications to weight gain and iatrogenic causes. The NHS are trying to tackle the problem but maybe too little too late.

"

I feel like it's actually accepted. Don't forget that there are virtually hundreds of thousands for workout plans for those who haven't quite got the "aesthetics" stage even though they regularly attend the gym e.g. there are lots of plans targeted at me for bot being good enough. Being an "average" body shape is actaully now unhealthy. The "average" Brit is now slightly overweight by "societies standards". I think... in the next 5-10 years the "average" brit will be fat and this will be the norm (I won't go into why as that is a little too deep).

I think I am going to start a new thread and flip the perspective.

"I am slim and eat loads but most of the stuff i eat is healthy foodstuffs. I eat alot of fruit and always read food labels. Over the next couple of weeks my eating habits will change due to the festive season. I will over indulge in rich and fatty foods washed down with too much wine. These two weeks i will feel different. I will feel tired and sluggish and my skin will feel greasy and my energy levels will be low. People dont realise that eating healthy has so many plus points and is not just about maintaining a healthy weight."

That's why being healthy can make you more attractive. You feel great and carry yourself in a completely different way. You have a different energy and it draws people in.

I think as long as people are happy and not poorly from their weight (either overweight OR underweight) then everything is good. I would never shame somebody on their figure. I was bullied horrifically as a teen for being very underweight, and my best friend the same for being a larger girl. I know the effects of making somebody feel bad about the body they are in. Happiness should come first. You can't put a price on that.

My biggest bugbear is that Piers Morgan seems to have such a problem with obese people and is constantly fat shaming.

Can't really take the fat cundt seriously when his neck can barely fit in his collar

"How does it harm society mentally? "

There's a show on YouTube about a personal trainer who purposefully went from 80 to 120kg as an experiment.

You can see the junk food induced brain fog and mental decay creeping in with incredible clarity in his daily video diaries.

"How does it harm society mentally?

There's a show on YouTube about a personal trainer who purposefully went from 80 to 120kg as an experiment.

You can see the junk food induced brain fog and mental decay creeping in with incredible clarity in his daily video diaries. "

I'm fat. I rarely eat junk food.

You can see the junk food induced brain fog and mental decay creeping in with incredible clarity in his daily video diaries.

I'm fat. I rarely eat junk food. "

Even pasta or bread and butter in the wrong amounts will have a junk food effect on your body.

The guy was depressed as fuck...the cause and effect was very obvious.

"I know people who are of a larger size who eat well and exercise.

"

This. It gets on my goat that people assume fat people are lazy and eat loads. I do neither. I'm constantly battling with my weight. I also go to the gym- shock horror! My home is kept clean and tidy and I ride cock like an athlete so it's certainly not all straight forward as it seems.

My friend is stick think she eats a shitty diet and never exercises

Judging by your body in your profile pic I'm assuming that you would not meet women hear that are above a size 10 and don't go to the gym and spinning classes regularly am I stereotyping or am I right? just wondering what the reason for this thread is

By *xMFM3sumsxxWoman  over a year ago

SouthWest Lancashire

There's only certain conditions where being obese will make that condition worse or more difficult to control.

I'd say mentally it's better to accept obesity as valid because what's the point of stigmatising someone for the way they look?

"I just watched this.

What do you guys think?

"

Of course it's not OK to be obese.

I've always been overweight.

When I was little there was no such thing as fast food - and I always had 3 meals a day etc..

Was active in sports and had the same diet as my siblings.

I think my Caribbean heritage plays a part in my body shape.

As an adult I do over eat, drink too much - but I am very active still.

You can't out exercise a bad diet

I'd rather be fat than give up the foods I love.

Especially today I'm going to wiggle my belly like a bowl full of jelly

I'm fat. I rarely eat junk food.

Even pasta or bread and butter in the wrong amounts will have a junk food effect on your body.

The guy was depressed as fuck...the cause and effect was very obvious. "

I became very overweight after I became depressed. There's a definite link between the stomach, brain and depression.

"Judging by your body in your profile pic I'm assuming that you would not meet women hear that are above a size 10 and don't go to the gym and spinning classes regularly am I stereotyping or am I right? just wondering what the reason for this thread is"

Both the stereotype and judgement are incorrect. The reason for the thread was due to me sharing something I found interesting of TV. I was interested to hear people's thoughts and opinions on this. Merry Christmas x

» Add a new message to this topic