FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Might seem like a no brainer...

Might seem like a no brainer...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

... But there's a severe increase in burglaries in my local area over the last 6 weeks.

So much so that tonight I'll be patrolling my local area in the motor (I stress not chasing and confronting).... Any time of year is a shit time of year to get done over, but at this time of year its heartbreaking. Remember to keep checking in on your neighbours if they are vulnerable and keep checking those doors and windows.

Several families and elderly people near me have been turned over and will have a bad Xmas.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"... But there's a severe increase in burglaries in my local area over the last 6 weeks.

So much so that tonight I'll be patrolling my local area in the motor (I stress not chasing and confronting).... Any time of year is a shit time of year to get done over, but at this time of year its heartbreaking. Remember to keep checking in on your neighbours if they are vulnerable and keep checking those doors and windows.

Several families and elderly people near me have been turned over and will have a bad Xmas. "

Be careful.

If residents (or the police) spot you they may think you're a burglar looking for suitable properties to break in to.

Best intentions are all well and good but what would you actually do if you saw something?

I assume call the police?

A

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

"... But there's a severe increase in burglaries in my local area over the last 6 weeks.

Several families and elderly people near me have been turned over and will have a bad Xmas. "

It's a horrible invasion of your home, we have been burgled, it's heart breaking. Good on you for what you are doing

chelmsford

Several families and elderly people near me have been turned over and will have a bad Xmas.

Be careful.

If residents (or the police) spot you they may think you're a burglar looking for suitable properties to break in to.

Best intentions are all well and good but what would you actually do if you saw something?

A"

Hopefully it will deter chancers, if they see someone around, but no, don't confront anyone, but get number plates, In case anything does happen.

Be careful.

A

Hopefully it will deter chancers, if they see someone around, but no, don't confront anyone, but get number plates, In case anything does happen."

It's a good point to be fair. To clarify, the police know and appreciate the effort and we have a direct line to local authorities

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

Be careful.

A

Hopefully it will deter chancers, if they see someone around, but no, don't confront anyone, but get number plates, In case anything does happen."

Random cars driving the streets doing circuits attract the wrong attention - worried residents - and usually result in the police being called and their time wasted when they could be responding to genuine crimes.

It honestly doesn't help.

Keeping an eye on close neighbours is great. Any further afield and you're just a strange car that they don't know.

A

chelmsford

Be careful.

A

Hopefully it will deter chancers, if they see someone around, but no, don't confront anyone, but get number plates, In case anything does happen.

It's a good point to be fair. To clarify, the police know and appreciate the effort and we have a direct line to local authorities"

My hubby noticed yesterday, a van driving past houses slowly, looking down drives,we make sure all neighbours are vigilant and pass round any information, so we can all help each other.

chelmsford

Be careful.

A

Random cars driving the streets doing circuits attract the wrong attention - worried residents - and usually result in the police being called and their time wasted when they could be responding to genuine crimes.

It honestly doesn't help.

Keeping an eye on close neighbours is great. Any further afield and you're just a strange car that they don't know.

A"

As I said, take reg numbers if possible and if there is any crime, it may go some way to tracking the thieves and yes I do appreciate the car may be stolen, we have to do something to stop this.Unfortunately, when we were burgled, no one saw anything, when asked by the police. We live in a small lane, so anyone that doesn't live here , apart from known family and friends are possibly up to know good if they are in the vicinity.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Lot of it round my way too, and people having all their Christmas presents pinched from the boot of the car. Not enough people to make others realise that it's a terrible place to keep all your presents, apparently...

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

Be careful.

A

It's a good point to be fair. To clarify, the police know and appreciate the effort and we have a direct line to local authorities

My hubby noticed yesterday, a van driving past houses slowly, looking down drives,we make sure all neighbours are vigilant and pass round any information, so we can all help each other. "

This is where FB and social media helps. Set up group chats with neighbours so you can pass info quickly and widely.

OP - the majority of burglaries happen during the day, when the scrotes that do it can see into properties without the need for torches that attract attention. Driving the streets at night won't be the deterrent you think it will. You'll simply look suspicious yourself.

You say the police are aware. I'm surprised then that they haven't advised you not to do it. Apart from the fact that you are potentially putting yourself at (uninsured and not legally protected) harm, you could find any action you took fucking up any potential arrest. 'Vigilantes' aren't popular with them and cause them more trouble than benefits. It's good that you want to help your local community but there are far better ways to do it.

A

This guy found a solution

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/technology-46604625

Be careful.

A

My hubby noticed yesterday, a van driving past houses slowly, looking down drives,we make sure all neighbours are vigilant and pass round any information, so we can all help each other.

This is where FB and social media helps. Set up group chats with neighbours so you can pass info quickly and widely.

OP - the majority of burglaries happen during the day, when the scrotes that do it can see into properties without the need for torches that attract attention. Driving the streets at night won't be the deterrent you think it will. You'll simply look suspicious yourself.

You say the police are aware. I'm surprised then that they haven't advised you not to do it. Apart from the fact that you are potentially putting yourself at (uninsured and not legally protected) harm, you could find any action you took fucking up any potential arrest. 'Vigilantes' aren't popular with them and cause them more trouble than benefits. It's good that you want to help your local community but there are far better ways to do it.

A"

Isn't neighbourhood watch still a thing rather than driving the streets. Sit in your front room with the binoculurs a beer and feet up.

chelmsford

Be careful.

A

A"

Yes we have a local FB group which has been useful. We recently had men knocking on doors to clean your drives etc and they were being particularly intimidating to an estate where mostly elderly people live. But at least others could spread the word quickly,to be aware and not even answer the door to them.

chelmsford

Be careful.

A

A

Isn't neighbourhood watch still a thing rather than driving the streets. Sit in your front room with the binoculurs a beer and feet up. "

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

we live in a small town and have a facebook page. Anyone sees anything suspcious it gets added. Also we have joe the local policeman checking in and answering questions

what if the burglars are watching your house and do you over while your out cruising the streets

chelmsford

"we live in a small town and have a facebook page. Anyone sees anything suspcious it gets added. Also we have joe the local policeman checking in and answering questions"

We never see any police, not like the olden days!

I was going to respond to the various comments.... But frankly it would take me too long

Thanks for the overall feedback and the Concern/warnings/encouragement

chelmsford

"I was going to respond to the various comments.... But frankly it would take me too long

Thanks for the overall feedback and the Concern/warnings/encouragement

"

do what you think you need, but stay safe

"we live in a small town and have a facebook page. Anyone sees anything suspcious it gets added. Also we have joe the local policeman checking in and answering questions

We never see any police, not like the olden days! "

we dont. hes sat on facebook answering questions lol. We have a couple of community beat people that are often round town they go in costa and chat to people see whats occuring. We have extremely low crime rate here so nothing to do. We dont evem have a police station anymore its one police officer behind a desk in the council officers

chelmsford

"we live in a small town and have a facebook page. Anyone sees anything suspcious it gets added. Also we have joe the local policeman checking in and answering questions

We never see any police, not like the olden days! we dont. hes sat on facebook answering questions lol. We have a couple of community beat people that are often round town they go in costa and chat to people see whats occuring. We have extremely low crime rate here so nothing to do. We dont evem have a police station anymore its one police officer behind a desk in the council officers"

Ah you're very lucky with your low crime rate It would be good if we could have some visibility of policemen. What did annoy me recently, in our village was four police men in 2 cars walking up and down checking people's tyres, I know it's important to have legal tyres but....

» Add a new message to this topic