FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > if you run a small buisnes

if you run a small buisnes

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *riskygaz OP   Man  over a year ago

birmingham

what price do you pay for your company's PAT testing each year ?

I am just starting up doing this work as a side line to my full time job.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ruebameMan  over a year ago

from the womb and tryout to get back

"what price do you pay for your company's PAT testing each year ?

I am just starting up doing this work as a side line to my full time job."

£30 initial fee then £1.50 her item but that was 2 year ago now have my own electrician's that do it it's not really good money earning but if you try second hand shops they might give you buisiness as all electrical equipment has to be tester before re sale good luck

By *ingdiscreetMan  over a year ago

Bournemouth

Hello mate I'm a sparky and have my pat ticket. It's pants money these days. don't go spending a ton of cash getting going but look for the work first if you find enough then viable to spend out on a test machine.

Good luck with it though.

D

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Not heard it mentioned on site for years.

When it was all the rage to have everything pat tested and site managers insisted on it years ago I just bought a load of stickers off eBay and put them on all my kit.

So in answer to the question I spent about a fiver.

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

I don't get mine tested. There's no legal obligation to - just to ensure it's in a safe working state. This is from the HSE website.

"The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 require that any electrical equipment that has the potential to cause injury is maintained in a safe condition. However, the Regulations do not specify what needs to be done, by whom or how frequently (ie they don't make inspection or testing of electrical appliances a legal requirement, nor do they make it a legal requirement to undertake this annually)."

SO take good care of your cables and check them yourself regularly and it's all good.

A

birmingham

"what price do you pay for your company's PAT testing each year ?

I am just starting up doing this work as a side line to my full time job.

£30 initial fee then £1.50 her item but that was 2 year ago now have my own electrician's that do it it's not really good money earning but if you try second hand shops they might give you buisiness as all electrical equipment has to be tester before re sale good luck "

thanks for the advice

birmingham

"Not heard it mentioned on site for years.

When it was all the rage to have everything pat tested and site managers insisted on it years ago I just bought a load of stickers off eBay and put them on all my kit.

So in answer to the question I spent about a fiver."

that's cheating lol

birmingham

"I don't get mine tested. There's no legal obligation to - just to ensure it's in a safe working state. This is from the HSE website.

"The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 require that any electrical equipment that has the potential to cause injury is maintained in a safe condition. However, the Regulations do not specify what needs to be done, by whom or how frequently (ie they don't make inspection or testing of electrical appliances a legal requirement, nor do they make it a legal requirement to undertake this annually)."

SO take good care of your cables and check them yourself regularly and it's all good.

A"

it is a massive grey area for how often things should be tested, certainly computers and things they are now saying you could do it just once every 3 years, it really is up to you to do your own risk assessment.

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"I don't get mine tested. There's no legal obligation to - just to ensure it's in a safe working state. This is from the HSE website.

Ait is a massive grey area for how often things should be tested, certainly computers and things they are now saying you could do it just once every 3 years, it really is up to you to do your own risk assessment."

Yep. There's money to be made for sure as larger companies can get twitchy about safety as they have both the public and larger numbers of staff to worry about. When I worked in finance everything was done annually by an external company - which meant thousands of checks from computers and TV's to toasters and kettles in staff rooms. Sole traders probably do it themselves these days. If I have a dodgy looking power cable I'll just buy a new one - cheaper than getting things tested regularly.

Worst case my public liability insurance would cover anything that happened in the event of an accident and I have to have that - so no point in adding extra expense.

A

birmingham

Ait is a massive grey area for how often things should be tested, certainly computers and things they are now saying you could do it just once every 3 years, it really is up to you to do your own risk assessment.

Yep. There's money to be made for sure as larger companies can get twitchy about safety as they have both the public and larger numbers of staff to worry about. When I worked in finance everything was done annually by an external company - which meant thousands of checks from computers and TV's to toasters and kettles in staff rooms. Sole traders probably do it themselves these days. If I have a dodgy looking power cable I'll just buy a new one - cheaper than getting things tested regularly.

Worst case my public liability insurance would cover anything that happened in the event of an accident and I have to have that - so no point in adding extra expense.

A"

they have relaxed the rules a lot now, I think big companies must have been complaining that it was costing them a fortune each year, now they really put it on you to look at your situation and for you to decide how often to do it. if small to medium size companies realised how easy it is to do and that you can buy a tester for about £300 and you only need to do a one day training course for about £130 they would just do it in house. That's how I got involved with it, I am an assistant caretaker in a school and they sent me off to do the training and they have probably saved around a £900 a year.

» Add a new message to this topic