FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Glory days of the NME and Melody Maker

Glory days of the NME and Melody Maker

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I used to buy the NME and Melody Maker religiously every week, all the writers seemed to have cool ass names, like Johnny Cigarettes and you could only buy albums by band’s that were deemed cool by either paper. They were brutal to bands or artists they didn’t!

It was very elitist and snobby, but I got sucked in. Bought albums on the back of reviews that I’d never even heard before. Some turned out to be shite and some were gems.

I bought Saint Etienne ‘Fox Base Alpha’ on the back of two words in Select magazine, they described it as ‘effortlessly groovy’. That was good enough for me and I went and bought it.

Anyone else buy the music papers and magazines in the halcyon days, the days before tinternet and downloads ?!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Magazines are one of those things I miss. They were such a big part of my teenage years although I was more of a selective buyer than a religious one. A free CD was a big selling point!

I ways always more into Q than NME though.

By *ea monkeyMan  over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"I used to buy the NME and Melody Maker religiously every week, all the writers seemed to have cool ass names, like Johnny Cigarettes and you could only buy albums by band’s that were deemed cool by either paper. They were brutal to bands or artists they didn’t!

It was very elitist and snobby, but I got sucked in. Bought albums on the back of reviews that I’d never even heard before. Some turned out to be shite and some were gems.

I bought Saint Etienne ‘Fox Base Alpha’ on the back of two words in Select magazine, they described it as ‘effortlessly groovy’. That was good enough for me and I went and bought it.

Anyone else buy the music papers and magazines in the halcyon days, the days before tinternet and downloads ?!

"

I agree with you, I used to buy NME every week and I absolutely bought into the snobbery of the 'alternative' music scene. Being approved by either paper was a huge mark of being cool and launched so many bands.

"I used to buy the NME and Melody Maker religiously every week, all the writers seemed to have cool ass names, like Johnny Cigarettes and you could only buy albums by band’s that were deemed cool by either paper. They were brutal to bands or artists they didn’t!

I agree with you, I used to buy NME every week and I absolutely bought into the snobbery of the 'alternative' music scene. Being approved by either paper was a huge mark of being cool and launched so many bands."

Can’t believe, I used to value other people’s opinion on what music you were supposed to like, probably cause I was young and stupid. I was a complete music snob, not anymore, I just like what I like now, plus my music taste is a lot more eclectic.

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

Yep. Largely because at the time it was the only way to find out festival line ups, tour dates and approaching gigs.

Was much easier to get tickets as it was all done by post or the old school method of rocking up at the ticket office the night before and joining the queue of sleeping bags waiting for it to open. None of the bullshit you get now with crashed websites, online companies snapping up tickets within seconds and resellers ripping off music fans.

Truly the good old days of music.

A

"Magazines are one of those things I miss. They were such a big part of my teenage years although I was more of a selective buyer than a religious one. A free CD was a big selling point!

I ways always more into Q than NME though. "

Used to discover some good songs and bands on those free CDs.

"Yep. Largely because at the time it was the only way to find out festival line ups, tour dates and approaching gigs.

Was much easier to get tickets as it was all done by post or the old school method of rocking up at the ticket office the night before and joining the queue of sleeping bags waiting for it to open. None of the bullshit you get now with crashed websites, online companies snapping up tickets within seconds and resellers ripping off music fans.

A"

Totally agree, music had value and worth then, it’s all so throwaway now, with digital downloads etc. And they’re so many other distractions for music to fight with.

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Yep. Largely because at the time it was the only way to find out festival line ups, tour dates and approaching gigs.

A

Totally agree, music had value and worth then, it’s all so throwaway now, with digital downloads etc. And they’re so many other distractions for music to fight with. "

I've nothing against downloads. It enables up and coming bands to release music without the expense of pressing discs (god I feel old saying that!) or having to be signed to a label.

Plus I can have my entire music collection on one ipod and switch it between the car and my pocket.

I just hate the fact it's so friggin hard to get tickets for bands that tour so infrequently these days as it's not as commercially viable as it used to be for them.

A

N.M.E and Q were the mags for me , mainly by the front cover or the fact there was a free cd

A

Totally agree, music had value and worth then, it’s all so throwaway now, with digital downloads etc. And they’re so many other distractions for music to fight with.

I've nothing against downloads. It enables up and coming bands to release music without the expense of pressing discs (god I feel old saying that!) or having to be signed to a label.

Plus I can have my entire music collection on one ipod and switch it between the car and my pocket.

I just hate the fact it's so friggin hard to get tickets for bands that tour so infrequently these days as it's not as commercially viable as it used to be for them.

A"

I like downloads, allows you to cherry pick songs etc. And listen to new music before you buy. It’s just nice to have it in a physical format.

Living Devon, it’s very rare to get any really good bands down here now, the nearest decent venues is probably Bristol, about 100 miles from me.

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

A

A

I like downloads, allows you to cherry pick songs etc. And listen to new music before you buy. It’s just nice to have it in a physical format.

Living Devon, it’s very rare to get any really good bands down here now, the nearest decent venues is probably Bristol, about 100 miles from me. "

Yep. We generally end up popping over the bridge to Cardiff for big gigs. Try the Beehive in Honiton for smaller stuff - some interesting bands play occasionally.

A

I was reading an article on a new album what come out around 2001,it read "the title says it all" that was the the review!!

I had to have it,I'm glad I did,now I have everything of theirs.

The album was Pure Rock Fury by clutch

https://youtu.be/Jd9YK-Lt5XE. Title track

i got given the complete sets of sounds, melody maker and nme from 1970 to 1980 by the two kids next door who were a good bit older than me .... i still got them in my music lock-up ... along with loads of issues of Oz, International Times, Rolling Stone, Muther Grumble, Black Dwarf, Sniffin' Glue, Punk, Village Voice, tons of 70/80's football fanzines, early kerrang and shit loads of other interesting stuff

it's a good way to pass time by reading back issues and some stuff is a right eye opener

By *ea monkeyMan  over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

I do think that it's harder these days to catch the vibe of new good bands without keying into the correct social media. Keeping up with that sort of thing is a full time job in itself!

Sounds was my musicpaper of choice , a bit more rock , great reviews and gig guide

Sounds was the paper for me, excellent reviews and gig guides, closely followed by NME.

By *ust ClareTV/TS  over a year ago

Settlewick!

Sounds was the best but just disappeared over night.They printed a lot of my letters too

"

I always liked the free CDs, a good way to discover new music.

Kerrrangg and metal hammer for me,free cd,still got them all

"Sounds was the best but just disappeared over night.They printed a lot of my letters too"

Really, oh that’s cool. I know it was Stuart Maconie, who wrote for the NME that started the rumour that Bob Holness (Blockbusters fame) who played the sax solo on Gerry Rafferys Baker Street ?!

Used to buy Sounds every week. Championed punk and the NWOBHM. Seem to remember a cartoon they ran. Axelpressbutton was one of the characters.

"I do think that it's harder these days to catch the vibe of new good bands without keying into the correct social media. Keeping up with that sort of thing is a full time job in itself!

"

I thought it was just an old age thing but I just don't know where to look now. The internet has caused an over-saturation of new music and no definitive way of finding what you might like!

"I do think that it's harder these days to catch the vibe of new good bands without keying into the correct social media. Keeping up with that sort of thing is a full time job in itself!

I thought it was just an old age thing but I just don't know where to look now. The internet has caused an over-saturation of new music and no definitive way of finding what you might like! "

Having said that,I listen to an internet rock radio station and I'm introduced to loads of new tunes and bands I otherwise wouldn't have known about

I thought it was just an old age thing but I just don't know where to look now. The internet has caused an over-saturation of new music and no definitive way of finding what you might like!

Having said that,I listen to an internet rock radio station and I'm introduced to loads of new tunes and bands I otherwise wouldn't have known about"

Which one is that?

I tend to rely on deeper recommending things for me.

I used to watch a lot of music TV but I canceled my virgin and now all I have is the 80's one!

Having said that,I listen to an internet rock radio station and I'm introduced to loads of new tunes and bands I otherwise wouldn't have known about

Which one is that?

I tend to rely on deeper recommending things for me.

I used to watch a lot of music TV but I canceled my virgin and now all I have is the 80's one! "

I have a few apps on my phone just for rock music,I listen to crucial velocity radio a lot,just go on playstore and type in whatever you're into

I thought it was just an old age thing but I just don't know where to look now. The internet has caused an over-saturation of new music and no definitive way of finding what you might like! "

new releases now dot com is pretty good for the latest stuff .... you can listen to loads of tracks from each release. it is updated every week and maintains a good weekly archive

By *iss SJWoman  over a year ago

Hull

"

I was a total music snob and devoured NME and Melody Maker when I was a teenager. Also I used to buy Smash Hits which used to be a lot more alternative when it first started. I remember Jimmy Pusey, Souixsie and the Banshees, Debbie Harry, Echo and th Bunnymen all being on the front cover at some point. I was only about 14 and used to cut out pictures and lyrics to stick to the massive collage on my bedroom wall.

'Groovy'. That's a word you don't hear enough of these days.

the tube, the old grey and rectangular picture machine (if you lived in east wales or somerset) were all must see programes for new music

By *iss SJWoman  over a year ago

Hull

"'Groovy'. That's a word you don't hear enough of these days. "

I often say things are ‘all fab and groovy’ just to confuse the young folk at work

Magazines and books will come back when our kids are short sighted at the age of 18, not 38 or 48 like we are. Then the world will wake up to the damage constant phone usage does to us and regret all those hours spent messaging.

Kerrang was the one for me back in the day btw

By *entish79Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

I was a total music snob and devoured NME and Melody Maker when I was a teenager. Also I used to buy Smash Hits which used to be a lot more alternative when it first started. I remember Jimmy Pusey, Souixsie and the Banshees, Debbie Harry, Echo and th Bunnymen all being on the front cover at some point. I was only about 14 and used to cut out pictures and lyrics to stick to the massive collage on my bedroom wall. "

Phew, I’m not going to be the first one to mention Smash Hits. I used to get it around the mid 89s when Neil Tennant was the editor, and it was vaguely subversive and really quite funny. Well, as subversive as pop music magazine for teenagers in the 80s could be.

And went from there to NME and Melody Maker. It’s anazing now to think that’s where you had to go to read reviews or hear about new stuff now that we have everything on tap online. The journo who I always remember for being a bit too far up his own arse was a guy Everett True who used to slate most stuff.

I think the online equivalent these days might be Pitchfork. Great site for reviews, but there never seems to be that much stuff they actually like.

And alsos fond memories of actually queuing to buy gig tickets at the local record shop in Glasgow. A place called De Courcy’s in the west end, had a big blackboard with gig listings at the entrance to a little old fashioned and quirky mall. Happy days!

By *an_LexaCouple  over a year ago

Sunderland

Radio 6 introducing for new bands.

Tom Robinson and Marc Riley are good to listen too. You can always catch there stuff on bbc iplayer if you’ve missed the show too

Remember Out on Blue Six with Mark and Lard??

"'Groovy'. That's a word you don't hear enough of these days.

I often say things are ‘all fab and groovy’ just to confuse the young folk at work "

Im going to start re using it

"Radio 6 introducing for new bands.

Tom Robinson and Marc Riley are good to listen too. You can always catch there stuff on bbc iplayer if you’ve missed the show too "

i find them far too narrow minded in the genres that they give exposure to and they are just behind the curve on the stuff which they push out ... but that's just my view

"

Hated the fact that my bands (mostly ‘T-shirt bands - Sultans of Ping, Carter USM, Wonderstuff etc) were built up to be knocked down. Carter especially were an easy target.

St Etienne released some lovely stuff.

"

Aww also miss ‘Select’ mag as it seemed less judgey than the weeklies.

By *entish79Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

Oh, talking of Foxbase Alpha....

Is it just me, or is there something utterly and strangely beautiful about the way Sarah says ‘Portobello’ on Girl VII? Right up there with the way Taylor Swift sings ‘Achilles heel’ on State of Grace.

No? Just me then...

I used to love Melody Maker and NME. They used to have great ads in the back for swapping albums (in my day) and also personal ads. And what about Sounds? Anyone remember that rather short-lived publication?

"I used to love Melody Maker and NME. They used to have great ads in the back for swapping albums (in my day) and also personal ads. And what about Sounds? Anyone remember that rather short-lived publication? "

It’s been mentioned a few times on here, I must have missed Sounds, I vaguely remember it on the shelves at WH Smith.

"I used to love Melody Maker and NME. They used to have great ads in the back for swapping albums (in my day) and also personal ads. And what about Sounds? Anyone remember that rather short-lived publication?

It’s been mentioned a few times on here, I must have missed Sounds, I vaguely remember it on the shelves at WH Smith. "

You're too young I think!

"Oh, talking of Foxbase Alpha....

Is it just me, or is there something utterly and strangely beautiful about the way Sarah says ‘Portobello’ on Girl VII? Right up there with the way Taylor Swift sings ‘Achilles heel’ on State of Grace.

No? Just me then... "

Oh yeah, I could listen to her saying London place names all day!

Aww also miss ‘Select’ mag as it seemed less judgey than the weeklies. "

Yeah, I liked Select. NME could be brutal.

» Add a new message to this topic