FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Santa

Santa

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

How did you find out that Santa isn’t real?

I got to about primary 7 and rumours were going about. I never asked my parents, but we all hinted that we all knew that I knew the truth.

My younger brother has autism and went to high school, thinking Santa was still real. It came to Christmas time and despite it breaking my mums heart, the school had phoned to say other children were mocking my brother. She sat him down and explained Santa wasn’t real. He didn’t understand and thought that Santa has died - it took him a while to fully get to grips with it

When and how did you find out? When is the right time to tell your children he isn’t real?

Or do you not tell your children about him in the first place? (Miracle on 34th street!)

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

There’s a FB page called ‘love what matters’ and folk send in their heartwarming stories. There was one today about a mall Santa encouraging a 31 year old man with autism to come and get his photo taken with him, he asked Santa for Disney sing along CDs and Santa gave him a Shrek doll which he now adores. It honestly made me cry, I love happy and pure things like that

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I honestly can’t remember when I found out ‘the truth’ .. I was talking about this the other day, I would have thought it must have been a traumatic time of my life, but it clearly wasn’t as I can’t remember it at all!

By *illyjohnyCouple  over a year ago

brighton

He is real Why are you trying to shatter us

What do you mean Santa isn't real?

By *ryst In IsoldeWoman  over a year ago

your imagination

What do you mean Santa isn't real?????

I honestly can't remember being told, so I must have already suspected or have been told as much by schoolmates.

My youngest sister was told by her teacher when she was 7. The teacher told the entire class. It caused uproar!

"What do you mean Santa isn't real?????

I honestly can't remember being told, so I must have already suspected or have been told as much by schoolmates.

My youngest sister was told by her teacher when she was 7. The teacher told the entire class. It caused uproar! "

Oh that’s awful!

A teacher at my high school got a formal warning, a 3rd year (so the pupil will be about 14 or 15) found out Santa wasn’t real because he mentioned it in class. She doesn’t have any special needs, learning disabilities etc, just thought he was still real. Parent complained. Not sure how I feel :-/

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

Cannot recall the exact time but it was a magical time for me as a small child believing in Santa. The thrill of seeing crumbs on a plate and empty sherry glass showing he did actually visit was amazing. Thanks Mum and Dad x

"Cannot recall the exact time but it was a magical time for me as a small child believing in Santa. The thrill of seeing crumbs on a plate and empty sherry glass showing he did actually visit was amazing. Thanks Mum and Dad x"

My youngest sister is 11 and a half and last year my mum gave her the bell tree ornament. In The Polar Express, the boy cannot hear the bell when he shakes it because he doesn’t believe in Santa, and when he believes again he can hear it again. My mum said it might be the last year she will hear it, but I asked her last night what she asked Santa for and without hesitation she rattled off what she wanted, with no suspicion.

I love the magic x

By *hatYorkLadMan  over a year ago

York

It came about gradually for me, my mum and dad tried their best to keep the magic there as long as possible and I guess I just reached an age where I'd overhear other kids at school taking the piss out of those who still believed in him so I just quietly stopped myself.

"It came about gradually for me, my mum and dad tried their best to keep the magic there as long as possible and I guess I just reached an age where I'd overhear other kids at school taking the piss out of those who still believed in him so I just quietly stopped myself."

It’s so sad

I’ve given a talk to the older kids at work not to spoil it for the wee ones...they all keep hinting and the wee ones ask questions, but it’s hard I say he’s real, and look! I even have his phone number! And my work badge has a Santa camera in it so he knows they’re behaving

By *evaquitCouple  over a year ago

Catthorpe

I (he) has a gap in my teeth. Our son aged 7 said he didn't believe in Santa because the tooth gap in the mince pie was the exact same size as mine.

"I (he) has a gap in my teeth. Our son aged 7 said he didn't believe in Santa because the tooth gap in the mince pie was the exact same size as mine. "

Ahaha oh no!!

I can’t remember myself, but my eldest son still believes in Santa, he’s 25 and has special needs so we still get all the magic. It’s lovely to see him when I take him to see Santa x

"I can’t remember myself, but my eldest son still believes in Santa, he’s 25 and has special needs so we still get all the magic. It’s lovely to see him when I take him to see Santa x "

Oh that is so lovely! xx

I was 4.

Caught parents tucking into the goodies I'd left out for the big fella.

By *educedWoman  over a year ago

Birmingham

He's not real?!?

"I was 4.

Caught parents tucking into the goodies I'd left out for the big fella. "

Ouch!

[Removed by poster at 04/12/18 22:24:38]

I was about nine.. I heard my dad shouting and swearing at my mum because she gave him the wrong screwdriver while putting my brothers present together.. "for fuck sake the other screwdriver...I need to get this finished before the wee bastards get up and see that santa has fucked up and isn't a master toy maker after all.". That's a direct quote.

By *SAchickWoman  over a year ago

Hillside desolate

I can't remember when I found out, it was quite early I think, I was quite an observant kid and my mum is shit at keeping secrets.

My two both believe at the moment, and my youngest truly thinks the elf on the shelf is getting up to mischief every night, every morning she is outraged at the mess he's made, or for touching her toys

"I can't remember when I found out, it was quite early I think, I was quite an observant kid and my mum is shit at keeping secrets.

My two both believe at the moment, and my youngest truly thinks the elf on the shelf is getting up to mischief every night, every morning she is outraged at the mess he's made, or for touching her toys "

Oh that is adorable!

"I was about nine.. I heard my dad shouting and swearing at my mum because she gave him the wrong screwdriver while putting my brothers present together.. "for fuck sake the other screwdriver...I need to get this finished before the wee bastards get up and see that santa has fucked up and isn't a master toy maker after all.". That's a direct quote. "

I’m sure my dad has said similar

I heard a rumour about it in year 4 or 5, and me and my friend decided that we would pretend we didn't believe but would secretly believe and its not technically lying cause the children who didn't believe were obviously delusional. We had it all planned out in our heads about what we would say if we ended up on the naughty list for lying.

I told my mum and she acted in such mock horror that to this day it's become a bit of a "tradition" that my mum and I still "believe" as she never actually sat me down to tell me the truth.

......I’m telling .

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

"I was about nine.. I heard my dad shouting and swearing at my mum because she gave him the wrong screwdriver while putting my brothers present together.. "for fuck sake the other screwdriver...I need to get this finished before the wee bastards get up and see that santa has fucked up and isn't a master toy maker after all.". That's a direct quote. "

That made me laugh....

I'm not sure when I 100% stopped believing, a couple of incidents when I was a child...

I was snooping in my mum's wardrobe and found the presents. Also one morning I went downstairs early and one of my dad's mates was asleep on the sofa wearing a father Christmas outfit!

My kids don't believe any more but I tell them it's more fun to, so we still make glittery reindeer food and chuck a carrot out for Rudolf. They probably think I'm a right twat!!!

"I was about nine.. I heard my dad shouting and swearing at my mum because she gave him the wrong screwdriver while putting my brothers present together.. "for fuck sake the other screwdriver...I need to get this finished before the wee bastards get up and see that santa has fucked up and isn't a master toy maker after all.". That's a direct quote.

That made me laugh....

I'm not sure when I 100% stopped believing, a couple of incidents when I was a child...

I was snooping in my mum's wardrobe and found the presents. Also one morning I went downstairs early and one of my dad's mates was asleep on the sofa wearing a father Christmas outfit!

My kids don't believe any more but I tell them it's more fun to, so we still make glittery reindeer food and chuck a carrot out for Rudolf. They probably think I'm a right twat!!! "

I laugh now.. I don't think I did at the time though.

I can't remember about santa. I remember about the tooth fairy though. I lost my tooth and wrote a note to the fairy. I wasn't asleep when my mum came to get my tooth because they had friends over. I heard my mum read my note out to her friends and them laughing I think I was 7 or 8 I think thats when I stopped believing in everything.

I say my son down before upper school and he went mum of course I know I was keeping up the pretence for you

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

No idea when I stopped believing in Santa but I'm the eldest of four, my youngest sibling is much younger than me so we had to keep the story going for years. Mind you the youngest was a sharp little thing and probably never believed in the first place.

What do you mean he’s not real?!

I think the realisation hits over a few years doesnt it. You get the rumours at school then your older siblings drop massive hints then you end up choosing your gift that will get 'given ' to santa to wrap. Then you pretend you still believe for a few years and by that time you've moved out so you or your parents never have that difficult conversation

By *andyMinx_tvTV/TS  over a year ago

Leeds

When he left the price from a local toy shop on a Roman chariot.

"Mum, why did Santa have to buy this from Tempest's?"

"He must have run out of Roman chariot materials...."

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

I honestly can't remember when I found out but do remember going snooping for presents at a fairly young age so must have found out by then somehow.

My, now 15 year old, daughter still believed until she was about 12 and still wanted to go and see Santa every year up till then, and she's tall for her age so stood out like a sore thumb in the queue with all the 5 and 6 year olds - even getting the odd look from Santa's helpers on occasion but we didn't want to ruin it for her, even though we knew most of her friends didn't believe any more (and mercifully didn't tell her either)

Found out when I realised we didn't have a chimney at 6....

Of course he is real how else would the snowy foot prints still be there in the morning when the rest of the snow out side has melted? Who else eats the mince pie ?

You will be trying to tell me next that the tooth fairy and Easter bunnie is made up

"How did you find out that Santa isn’t real?

I got to about primary 7 and rumours were going about. I never asked my parents, but we all hinted that we all knew that I knew the truth.

My younger brother has autism and went to high school, thinking Santa was still real. It came to Christmas time and despite it breaking my mums heart, the school had phoned to say other children were mocking my brother. She sat him down and explained Santa wasn’t real. He didn’t understand and thought that Santa has died - it took him a while to fully get to grips with it

When and how did you find out? When is the right time to tell your children he isn’t real?

Or do you not tell your children about him in the first place? (Miracle on 34th street!) "

I was 36 I left a glass of skimmed milk by the chimney breast on Xmas eve and kept an all night vigil on it caught the cat slurping it at 6.35 am

Or do you not tell your children about him in the first place? (Miracle on 34th street!) "

My mum said:

"Don't you be horrible to Mathew and tell him farther christmas isn't real"

I was only about 8 years old and she ruined everything.

I can't remember when I found out, but I'm pretty certain my 6 year old already knows and that's making me really sad .

I'm going all out with elves, lists, Santa trackers, reindeer dust etc but she's sharp as a tack, has a lot of older friends and I feel like their mum's are really indiscreet talking about buying presents in front of all the kids too.

Gutted, I wanted her to get a couple more years at least.

"Found out when I realised we didn't have a chimney at 6....

"

Don’t be silly, Santa has a magic key! We hang it on our front door every year. Thank goodness no burglars are about, or they could get in!

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

If you don’t believe in the magic then the magic doesn’t happen! I still believe

I wantched santa claus the movie and realised the toy makrrs toys were better

By *osco78Man  over a year ago

Sheffield

My dad wrote me a thank you more from santa, but his handwriting was illegible so i knew it was him...i still pretended fir another couple of years,didn't want to risk no pressies.

By *tella HeelsTV/TS  over a year ago

west here ford shire

Gutted, I got to 57 before I read it in a thread on the forum of fabswingers. I’m heartbroken

By *tirluvMan  over a year ago

the right frame of mind -London

My ex is scandinavian -she told my son straight out on his first exited day back from the pre school Xmas party that santa was just nonsense -all presents come from your parents. She was brutally practical like that!

» Add a new message to this topic