FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Fuel prices

Fuel prices

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I'll post it in the right place eventually.

Something got me wondering today.

It's no secret news that the French public have been protesting rather vigorously over the prices at their pumps. It got me thinking back to when we had the fuel blockades and protests of 2000.

The price of diesel was £0.80p/l, the nation was in uproar, truckers brought the country to a standstill, drivers were angry, it made headline news.

I passed a station today that was charging £1.49.9p/l and it got me wondering have we all just rolled over and played dead on this issue? Should there be similar protests again? Have we, as citizens just learned to be metaphorically bent over, greased up, and slipped the shaft, without complaint?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It was the truckers that protested.

They took all the risks and put their jobs on hold to do a fucking good job of it too.

My guess is that the government cut a deal with them and rest of us are too concerned with munching grass to do anything about it.

"It was the truckers that protested.

They took all the risks and put their jobs on hold to do a fucking good job of it too.

My guess is that the government cut a deal with them and rest of us are too concerned with munching grass to do anything about it."

Baaaaaaaa

By *htcMan  over a year ago

MK

Not much you can do. Look at the train ticket prices do you see anyone out protesting about the prices rising again, no.

Protesting is a waste of time, any protest is a waste of time like the current remain club protests.

Our fuel prices have gone down the last few weeks. The French issue is to do with the tax. I was recently in Paris and the fuel was sky high around 170euro a litre for unleaded and diesel was a lot higher. It's diesel that they have a issue with. Base prices have come down so our fuel has come down where as I'm France the government has made it rise despite lower Base price.

By *i1971Man  over a year ago

Cornwall

Local diesel prices here went up after the summer to around 134/l. Just filled up @ 127.9/l so it's dropped again for a minute.

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

In the UK, fuel duty has been frozen for at least a couple of years, and went up much more slowly after 2000 as the government realised they were approaching some sort of saturation point.

In France, fuel duty has just gone up, triggering these protests.

So, another view would be that our neighbours are just 18 years behind us...

By *irtySekretsCouple  over a year ago

Filthy Desires Upon Trent

Thing that pisses me off is the huge variation in fuel prices depending in which town you live. To me it’s price fixing and I thought that was illegal?

Morrison’s fuel prices in one town can be as much as 10p a litre more than another town.

Nothing to do with transporting it etc. Just greed.

Rant over

"Thing that pisses me off is the huge variation in fuel prices depending in which town you live. To me it’s price fixing and I thought that was illegal?

Morrison’s fuel prices in one town can be as much as 10p a litre more than another town.

Nothing to do with transporting it etc. Just greed.

Rant over "

This one rags my head in too.

"It got me thinking back to when we had the fuel blockades and protests of 2000.

The price of diesel was £0.80p/l, the nation was in uproar, truckers brought the country to a standstill, drivers were angry, it made headline news.

"

Those protests were organised by filthy Tory pressure groups creating havoc for the Labour government.

"Those protests were organised by filthy Tory pressure groups creating havoc for the Labour government."

Truckers. The very heartbeat of the greedy tory establishment.

Doesn’t effect me, I always put £20 in.

By *eerobCouple  over a year ago

solihull

We should protest. We pay fuel tax and then vat on the tax we have had to pay. Same with speed cameras, we could get rid of them all if there was civil disobedience, we are all to goody to shoes.... I love the French for their attitude.

My guess is that the government cut a deal with them and rest of us are too concerned with munching grass to do anything about it."

Yes, the truckers protested because, as a nation, we are useless at protesting as a whole.

I still remeber the dump the pump camoaign and on the day in question - when we were all asked to avoid using filling stations, some people were being interviewed, whilst filling up their cars, anout the xampaign and were saying 'oh yes, I filly support the campaign, but it won't make any difference will it'

Well of course not, you numpty, because you're filling up your car on a day when you're supposed to be giving it a miss TO SHOW YOUR SUPPORT

has anyone noticed the widening gap in petrol and diesel prices.used to be 1 or 2 pence but now its roughly a 10 pence difference

"Those protests were organised by filthy Tory pressure groups creating havoc for the Labour government.

Truckers. The very heartbeat of the greedy tory establishment."

They were used, your average trucker is very easily led.

By *eerobCouple  over a year ago

solihull

My guess is that the government cut a deal with them and rest of us are too concerned with munching grass to do anything about it.

Yes, the truckers protested because, as a nation, we are useless at protesting as a whole.

I still remeber the dump the pump camoaign and on the day in question - when we were all asked to avoid using filling stations, some people were being interviewed, whilst filling up their cars, anout the xampaign and were saying 'oh yes, I filly support the campaign, but it won't make any difference will it'

Well of course not, you numpty, because you're filling up your car on a day when you're supposed to be giving it a miss TO SHOW YOUR SUPPORT"

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

Wait until we are all driving electric cars...I'll get me coat.

"Wait until we are all driving electric cars...I'll get me coat."

Yeah, the cost of leccy will skyrocket. Something will have to replace all the bunce the chancellor and shareholders will be missing out on from oil.

By *rystal Tipps - AlistairCouple  over a year ago

livingston

We as a country do not have the balls to protest about rising fuel costs or anything else, all we do now is moan about it and then roll over and accept it.

"Those protests were organised by filthy Tory pressure groups creating havoc for the Labour government.

They were used, your average trucker is very easily led."

That's two sweeping generalisations. You'll have the entire thread diverted to the politics forum in a minute.

Would you like to buy a hat? It's made of really robust tin foil.

Truckers. The very heartbeat of the greedy tory establishment."

.... since 1984

They were used, your average trucker is very easily led."

*picks up cb radio mic*

Looks like we got ourselves a convoy!

163 at a services 2 weeks ago

» Add a new message to this topic