FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Landed with a kid..

Landed with a kid..

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Today I was sitting in KFC (I’m a classy gal). My husband was downstairs ordering our food, and I was upstairs sitting at a table.

A girl comes in with a toddler. The girl looked no older than about fourteen, so she was probably 17 at most. The toddler was about three. She sat the toddler down at the table beside me and said ‘I won’t be long’ and headed back off downstairs.

The folder was good as gold - she sat for about ten minutes before she removed her jacket. She then picked up her jacket and the girls jacket, and tried to go downstairs.

The stairs are steep (and she’s so young) so I stood up and said ‘hey, come wait over here’ and took her hand and brought her back over. She came back over and I tried chatting to her, and she was fine, but did get up a few more times to try find the girl that she had came with.

Eventually after about 20 minutes the girl appeared with their food.

Would you ever leave your child just sitting, while you ordered food?

This isn’t a ‘mummy bashing’ thread, I just found it odd, as the toddler was well, a toddler. Especially since we were in a city centre, which is known for being ‘chavvy’ and violent.

Did I do the right thing?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

i would never leave a child on its own in public.

never out of eye shot.

"i would never leave a child on its own in public.

never out of eye shot."

That’s what I thought. Especially at such a young age. I work with children and wouldn’t do it, but I’m not a proper parent (yet) so I’ve never been in a situation like that.

However, I’ve been into town with my younger sisters and only now would I feel comfortable leaving my youngest at a table while I got the food (and she’s eleven).

"Today I was sitting in KFC (I’m a classy gal). My husband was downstairs ordering our food, and I was upstairs sitting at a table.

A girl comes in with a toddler. The girl looked no older than about fourteen, so she was probably 17 at most. The toddler was about three. She sat the toddler down at the table beside me and said ‘I won’t be long’ and headed back off downstairs.

The folder was good as gold - she sat for about ten minutes before she removed her jacket. She then picked up her jacket and the girls jacket, and tried to go downstairs.

The stairs are steep (and she’s so young) so I stood up and said ‘hey, come wait over here’ and took her hand and brought her back over. She came back over and I tried chatting to her, and she was fine, but did get up a few more times to try find the girl that she had came with.

This isn’t a ‘mummy bashing’ thread, I just found it odd, as the toddler was well, a toddler. Especially since we were in a city centre, which is known for being ‘chavvy’ and violent.

Did I do the right thing? "

In this day and age you have to be careful but I would have done the same thing as you did

By *hrobbermanMan  over a year ago

Lanarkshire

Why didn't you sell it? I mean in all practical terms it was an unwanted gift.

By *ineMan  over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

Yes.

"Why didn't you sell it? I mean in all practical terms it was an unwanted gift."

She was actually a very sweet little girl

"Today I was sitting in KFC (I’m a classy gal). My husband was downstairs ordering our food, and I was upstairs sitting at a table.

Yes you did, as the childs mother obviously wasn't too bothered about her safety

Yes you did, as the childs mother obviously wasn't too bothered about her safety"

I’m not even sure if it was her mother, they looked alike but the girl looked so young and spoke like a teenager (although yes, she could have been a teen mum) but I think they were sisters. The girl just sat on her phone the entire time while the toddler ate her meal

It's not safe to leave a little one on their own in public at any time. My 3 year old has my hand the whole time. Thank goodness you were there.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I've got no kids, but I doubt that I would ever let them out of eyeshot in a public place, especially if they were a toddler.

By *evil_u_knowMan  over a year ago

city

Honestly, I would have watched the kid fall down the stairs and split its head open instead of go over and talk to them or touch them.

I dont think the minder did anything wrong, could be a sister or something. Upstairs usually only has one way in or out so just has to watch the bottom of the stairs while ordering food.

"It's not safe to leave a little one on their own in public at any time. My 3 year old has my hand the whole time. Thank goodness you were there. "

I just felt very odd. I think I’m too young to be seen as a ‘trust worthy adult’ even though I am 21, grew up with much much younger family members and have worked with children for nearly five years, but the toddler was more than happy to come with me

"Honestly, I would have watched the kid fall down the stairs and split its head open instead of go over and talk to them or touch them.

I dont think the minder did anything wrong, could be a sister or something. Upstairs usually only has one way in or out so just has to watch the bottom of the stairs while ordering food."

Would you not just keep the child with you while ordering the food? The workers were slow when making the food but it was very quiet and the place is massive - no risk at not getting a table. All the tables downstairs were empty too.

On the bright side though, you must have really portrayed a trustworthy image for the teenage mum to trust you with her toddler sitting beside you. Highly doubt she left her toddler child beside you by accident! But I suppose she should really have some situational awareness and be more cautious. Then again it comes with inexperience and perhaps being complacent. I mean how rough could where you live be to pose any sort of harm to a toddler?

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

I don't have kids of my own, but my nieces and nephews are never, ever, ever out of view. They are always within arms reach unless we are in an enclosed play area, but I can still always see them.

"It's not safe to leave a little one on their own in public at any time. My 3 year old has my hand the whole time. Thank goodness you were there.

I just felt very odd. I think I’m too young to be seen as a ‘trust worthy adult’ even though I am 21, grew up with much much younger family members and have worked with children for nearly five years, but the toddler was more than happy to come with me"

It's just a good thing that you were a responsible adult and concerned for her safety. Someone else and this could be on the news as 3 year olds can be very trusting. It doesn't bear thinking about.

By *tella HeelsTV/TS  over a year ago

west here ford shire

Hiya, you can only do what you feel is right, I think I would have done exactly the same as you

X

On the bright side though, you must have really portrayed a trustworthy image for the teenage mum to trust you with her toddler sitting beside you. Highly doubt she left her toddler child beside you by accident! But I suppose she should really have some situational awareness and be more cautious. Then again it comes with inexperience and perhaps being complacent. I mean how rough could where you live be to pose any sort of harm to a toddler? "

The toddler chose where to sit, the girl with her told her to chose while she stood at the top of the stairs.

And the area is quite rough. It has improved over the years, but it’s still rough. I don’t like sitting on my own or being on my own there

By *ire_bladeMan  over a year ago

Manchester

Unbelievable. I'd guess it may not have been her mother or should I say I'd hope it wasn't. My own daughter is 16 and out at a Halloween party which she blagged me to give her a lift to. After seeing what's she's wearing I'm now sat here worried sick she's going to be ok. I mean I'm sure she will be she's a sensibly girl obviously she's mine but it's the other idiot's out there. I left her with stricked instructions I'll not be having a drink so no matter what the time any truble what so ever she's to ring and I'll be there faster than sterling fucking moss.

Signed worried sick dad

"Unbelievable. I'd guess it may not have been her mother or should I say I'd hope it wasn't. My own daughter is 16 and out at a Halloween party which she blagged me to give her a lift to. After seeing what's she's wearing I'm now sat here worried sick she's going to be ok. I mean I'm sure she will be she's a sensibly girl obviously she's mine but it's the other idiot's out there. I left her with stricked instructions I'll not be having a drink so no matter what the time any truble what so ever she's to ring and I'll be there faster than sterling fucking moss.

Signed worried sick dad "

Oh no!

If she’s a sensible girl then hopefully nothing will come of it. However, boys can be a worry. I know how you feel (sort of) - my sister is 15 and absolutely gorgeous, one of the ‘popular’ girls at school and has started going to ‘house parties’ at weekends occasionally. My parents worry, and I do to.

Everything will be fine xxx

By *ust ClareTV/TS  over a year ago

Settlewick!

It doesn't really matter how rough the area may be, paedos and predators live in all tiers of society,not to mention the fact that the toddler could have harmed herself or even just had a panic attack when she fully realised she was on her own

"It doesn't really matter how rough the area may be, paedos and predators live in all tiers of society,not to mention the fact that the toddler could have harmed herself or even just had a panic attack when she fully realised she was on her own "

My thoughts too

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"I've got no kids, but I doubt that I would ever let them out of eyeshot in a public place, especially if they were a toddler."

Having said that, I have babysat for a few of ma ex g/f's grandkids, and you have to keep an eye on them at all times as you have no idea at the amount of carnage they can create in just a split second

That's awful

Some people shouldn't be allowed to have kids!

I wouldn't of allowed it.

Manchester

"Unbelievable. I'd guess it may not have been her mother or should I say I'd hope it wasn't. My own daughter is 16 and out at a Halloween party which she blagged me to give her a lift to. After seeing what's she's wearing I'm now sat here worried sick she's going to be ok. I mean I'm sure she will be she's a sensibly girl obviously she's mine but it's the other idiot's out there. I left her with stricked instructions I'll not be having a drink so no matter what the time any truble what so ever she's to ring and I'll be there faster than sterling fucking moss.

Signed worried sick dad

Oh no!

If she’s a sensible girl then hopefully nothing will come of it. However, boys can be a worry. I know how you feel (sort of) - my sister is 15 and absolutely gorgeous, one of the ‘popular’ girls at school and has started going to ‘house parties’ at weekends occasionally. My parents worry, and I do to.

Everything will be fine xxx"

She's my baby I'll never stop worrying although she's much more sensibly than her brother and he's 30 ffs

By *uxom redCouple  over a year ago

Shrewsbury

The toddler shouldn't have been left alone.

I never left mine not even in the car when paying for fuel.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"The toddler shouldn't have been left alone.

I never left mine not even in the car when paying for fuel. "

Do you put them down to rummage through yer purse for the extra penny that the pump always runs over to?

Signed worried sick dad "

Oh gosh, I feel for you. Here's hoping for you that you have a night without incident and everything ends well. Hopefully your daughter doesn't give you too much grief or get into trouble; I'm sure a great dad like you has raised her right!

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

You did the right thing. You are also doing the right thing in not judging.

I have a much younger brother and I used to take him out and about when I was 13/14 upwards and look after him when my mum was in hospital. People thought I was his mum. I suspect I wasn't as watchful as a mum at times. Once I spent his lunch money on a David Bowie poster

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Once I spent his lunch money on a David Bowie poster "

At least it wasn't David Cassidy

problem these days is if your a man and you go to help a kid who maybe lost or crying.

people will think your a pedo

Yes you did the right thing.

I'm still amazed nowadays when I see folk allowing their young children to wander into public toilets by themselves in busy supermarkets or restaurants.

By *gnitemybodyWoman  over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

Heavens no way could I have done that when mine were little.

"Yes you did the right thing.

I'm still amazed nowadays when I see folk allowing their young children to wander into public toilets by themselves in busy supermarkets or restaurants. "

There was a women and her teenage daughter sat in front of me, both on their phones. The mum looked up when the toddler went to the top of the stairs, then back down at her phone. There was also a family of four children and two adults, but they were very rowdy, throwing food, Jeremy Kyle family type (all of them shouting and swearing at each other). A wee boy with that family made a comment and the mum said ‘just let her go, mine your own business’. Baffles me

"Honestly, I would have watched the kid fall down the stairs and split its head open instead of go over and talk to them or touch them.

I dont think the minder did anything wrong, could be a sister or something. Upstairs usually only has one way in or out so just has to watch the bottom of the stairs while ordering food."

I can't believe I just read your first paragraph.

As a guy we may be treated with more suspicion than a woman in OP's position but would you really let a child be injured rather than do something to protect them?

OP when my some was that age I would have never left him alone anywhere...

You did what any normal caring person would do.

That's not about age or experience it's just demonstrating your humanity.

I think I would have just reported my concerns to a member of staff.

"I think I would have just reported my concerns to a member of staff."

being a man. a lot safer.

The only member of staff that was upstairs was a teenage boy, who bless looked lost at what to do when cleaning the tables and sweeping up. If I had went downstairs, it would have meant leaving her upstairs still trying to get down, and all my shopping bags. Just never been in that situation before

But yes, as you’re a man I can unfortunately see why that would be the best possibly solution

Shrewsbury

"The toddler shouldn't have been left alone.

I never left mine not even in the car when paying for fuel.

Do you put them down to rummage through yer purse for the extra penny that the pump always runs over to? "

No when I filled up they were in the car, locked, when I payed I'd get them out the car and take them with me or pay at the pump.

Shrewsbury

In Shropshire there's a first point of contact for any safeguarding concerns, I expect there's one in your area.

Leaving a toddler on their own is definitely a safeguarding issue.

"I think I would have just reported my concerns to a member of staff.

being a man. a lot safer."

I'm probably going to get shot down for this but when the prevailing culture is that men in general are seen by themselves or others as a potential threat to children or women then the world is totally fucked up....

It takes two patents, usually, to create a life, and just like women men are more than capable of looking after the weak the vulnerable and children, their own and others.

The mindset that makes any guy think I would rather look the other way than protect a child in whatever circumstances is just a little perverse.

Manchester

"I think I would have just reported my concerns to a member of staff.

being a man. a lot safer.

I'm probably going to get shot down for this but when the prevailing culture is that men in general are seen by themselves or others as a potential threat to children or women then the world is totally fucked up....

It takes two patents, usually, to create a life, and just like women men are more than capable of looking after the weak the vulnerable and children, their own and others.

The mindset that makes any guy think I would rather look the other way than protect a child in whatever circumstances is just a little perverse.

"

Totally agree with this sadly it's a mad world and a guy does have to at least think that way for his own sake. Having said that I know if push come to shuve I'd have to act no matter what and I hope others would do the same if mine where in danger. Not that they are small anymore but you get my meaning.

» Add a new message to this topic