FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Weighted blanket

Weighted blanket

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I suffer from really bad insomnia and a few people in a group on Facebook have recommended a weighted blanket. Reading reviews it sounds too good to be true! Anyone use one?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I suffer from really bad insomnia and a few people in a group on Facebook have recommended a weighted blanket. Reading reviews it sounds too good to be true! Anyone use one? "

People offering to be human blankets in 3...2....

By *innamon!Woman  over a year ago

no matter

Where would the weights be on the blanket ?

I’ve not heard of them being used for insomnia, but with autism lots of people respond really well to them. Be interesting to hear if they work as they’re not cheap x

Oh I’m following this thread!

Use one for my autistic son.... who couldn’t sleep properly absolute god send

The school have just told us we should get one for my grandson (they’ve bought one for him)

Its good to see it might help

"Oh I’m following this thread!"
same here

They work on a similar principle to Temple Grandin's hug machine don't they? Didn't realise they were also recommended for insomnia.

By *bonynivoryCouple  over a year ago

market harborough

They are really good for anxiety as well

Mrs

I’ve seen them for about £100 to £170.

How do you work out the weight?

I’ve seen great feedback regarding them from parents with children with autism.

"I’ve not heard of them being used for insomnia, but with autism lots of people respond really well to them. Be interesting to hear if they work as they’re not cheap x "

I think I saw one in 'House of Bath' catalogue. Can't remember them being grossly expensive. I'd have to find the catalogue and check.

"I’ve not heard of them being used for insomnia, but with autism lots of people respond really well to them. Be interesting to hear if they work as they’re not cheap x "

I have only heard of them in relation to autism too ..

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman  over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

My youngest has one, he's ASD/ADHD

It really does help him sleep better x

market harborough

"I’ve seen them for about £100 to £170.

I’ve seen great feedback regarding them from parents with children with autism. "

I think it's worked out at 10% of your body weight plus one or two pounds.

I think it's worked out at 10% of your body weight plus one or two pounds. "

Thank you

no matter

I’ve seen great feedback regarding them from parents with children with autism. "

I just looked it up . eBay have them and the red one there has a chart with it . Had no idea this sort of thing existed

i have a white noise machine as im a very light sleeper.

market harborough

I think it's worked out at 10% of your body weight plus one or two pounds.

Thank you "

You're welcome. I've used one and it was amazing! I hope it works for you too

Mrs

no matter

90x120CM/35x 47"

100x150CM/39x59"

120x180CM / 47x71"

150x200CM/59x79"

Weight:

2.3KG(5LBS)

7KG(15LBS)

9KG(20LBS)

11.5KG(25LBS)

Features and Benefits:

? A weighted blanket engineered to be 10% of your body weight to naturally reduce stress and increase relaxation. please choose the weight according to your body weight.

"

90x120CM/35x 47"

100x150CM/39x59"

120x180CM / 47x71"

150x200CM/59x79"

Weight:

2.3KG(5LBS)

7KG(15LBS)

9KG(20LBS)

11.5KG(25LBS)

Features and Benefits:

? A weighted blanket engineered to be 10% of your body weight to naturally reduce stress and increase relaxation. please choose the weight according to your body weight."

Thank you. That’s so helpful.

"i have a white noise machine as im a very light sleeper.

"

Does that work for you?

"

90x120CM/35x 47"

100x150CM/39x59"

120x180CM / 47x71"

150x200CM/59x79"

Weight:

2.3KG(5LBS)

7KG(15LBS)

9KG(20LBS)

11.5KG(25LBS)

Features and Benefits:

? A weighted blanket engineered to be 10% of your body weight to naturally reduce stress and increase relaxation. please choose the weight according to your body weight.

Thank you. That’s so helpful. "

It is yes, thanks to all from me too x

Does that work for you? "

at first yes. but now better ones with soft light effects are coming onto the market and research suggests these do in fact work well.

but one thing i do know is that to fall asleep you have to release or use up stored energy which is way they say things like dont drink coffee etc close to bed time.

one thing you can try is this.

place a radio in a corner of the room or well away from the bed.

it has to be a talk radio station only with little or no music.

adjust the volume so you can bearly hear it when in bed.

what happens is the brain is trying to work out what is being said, so energy is being used with all the processing going on inside your head.

your ears are straining to pick up the words, the brain is concentrating on it so working.

if done right you will drop off because your not thinking about not getting to sleep but what the hell is being said on the radio.

it take time to get use to it, not a instant fix but can work for some.

Does that work for you?

at first yes. but now better ones with soft light effects are coming onto the market and research suggests these do in fact work well.

but one thing i do know is that to fall asleep you have to release or use up stored energy which is way they say things like dont drink coffee etc close to bed time.

what happens is the brain is trying to work out what is being said, so energy is being used with all the processing going on inside your head.

your ears are straining to pick up the words, the brain is concentrating on it so working.

if done right you will drop off because your not thinking about not getting to sleep but what the hell is being said on the radio.

"

Thank you.

I’m the sort of person who can’t sleep with the window open as the slightest noise and my ears are on it. No tick tock clocks!

By *rsSBWoman  over a year ago

toy town

I've read that it's helpful for kids with asd and adhd. Maybe it's worth to give it a go

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Yes, useful for autism folk.

Thanks for posting this kitty. It's a revelation to me too. But it reminds me of when I used to sleep over at my grandparents and they'd pile an inch of heavy blankets on top of my covers. So reassuring that weight

Does that work for you?

Thank you.

I’m the sort of person who can’t sleep with the window open as the slightest noise and my ears are on it. No tick tock clocks! "

White noise should help with that because it fills in all the gaps so you don't really notice all the little annoying sounds any more

"Thanks for posting this kitty. It's a revelation to me too. But it reminds me of when I used to sleep over at my grandparents and they'd pile an inch of heavy blankets on top of my covers. So reassuring that weight "

Well, just had the same discussion with someone on Facebook who said exactly the same. My grandparents didn’t want quilts, they had proper wool blankets. Yes, I’d sleep so well there. Plus I’ve overdosed on Horlicks.

By *a Fee VerteWoman  over a year ago

Limbo

These sound really appealing - and yes, they do sound very much as if they work along the same soothing lines as Temple Grandin's hug box. I just looked at the first result Google found, a company called Sumo, and they also make a weighted sleep mask which apparently uses weighted pressure round the eyes to increase melatonin production. This is a lot cheaper than the blanket so might be worth a try first?

"These sound really appealing - and yes, they do sound very much as if they work along the same soothing lines as Temple Grandin's hug box. I just looked at the first result Google found, a company called Sumo, and they also make a weighted sleep mask which apparently uses weighted pressure round the eyes to increase melatonin production. This is a lot cheaper than the blanket so might be worth a try first?"

Will have a google. Been looking at how to make your own, not that I can sew very well.

"White noise should help with that because it fills in all the gaps so you don't really notice all the little annoying sounds any more"

Worth experimenting with pink, or brown noise too. Some people are much more comfortable with those.

They are on Amazon too.

"Thanks for posting this kitty. It's a revelation to me too. But it reminds me of when I used to sleep over at my grandparents and they'd pile an inch of heavy blankets on top of my covers. So reassuring that weight "

Or having blankets and being tucked in by your mum.

Again reassuring.

Couldn’t you have your own. You can buy sew in weights to hang on curtains etc. Couldn’t you try these on a duvet

By *VineMan  over a year ago

The right place

We have a charity group near us that has a lending library of all sorts of things for children with special needs. We borrowed one of these blankets to see if it would help with my daughters sleep. They are surprisingly heavy and strangely comforting.

no matter

Does that work for you?

"

I find Audio books helpful set for 30 mins and im asleep but of course my wakefulness comes around 3am so a radio may help i suppose .

"Where would the weights be on the blanket ? "
sounds like something the mafia use so you can sleep with the fishes

"We have a charity group near us that has a lending library of all sorts of things for children with special needs. We borrowed one of these blankets to see if it would help with my daughters sleep. They are surprisingly heavy and strangely comforting. "

They are good. My youngest is autistic and used to have one.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

I find a feather duvet works for me.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

My understanding is that weighted blankets help with the anxiety people with ASD so often suffer from, which is also a common cause of insomnia.

Found a lovely lady on Facebook that makes them so going to buy one off her. I certainly didn’t know they existed. Apparently she makes up to 15 a week as they are so popular.

"Found a lovely lady on Facebook that makes them so going to buy one off her. I certainly didn’t know they existed. Apparently she makes up to 15 a week as they are so popular. "

Oh could you send me her details, the ones I’ve been looking at have been so expensive x

I will pm you xx

no matter

"Found a lovely lady on Facebook that makes them so going to buy one off her. I certainly didn’t know they existed. Apparently she makes up to 15 a week as they are so popular. "

What does she add to them seems glass beads are used on the ebay ones?

Dont think curtain weights would work (someone suggested ) i suppose each square needs to be filled equally to give the correct feeling.

good that you have found someone to make them hopefully cheaper. Let us know if it works eventually

By *ecretlyASoftieWoman  over a year ago

Hull but travel regularly

I have one and bought it from sensory direct. Definitely recommended. I’ve also downloaded a white noise cd this week but only tried it once so far

"Found a lovely lady on Facebook that makes them so going to buy one off her. I certainly didn’t know they existed. Apparently she makes up to 15 a week as they are so popular.

Dont think curtain weights would work (someone suggested ) i suppose each square needs to be filled equally to give the correct feeling.

good that you have found someone to make them hopefully cheaper. Let us know if it works eventually "

I’ll find out for you.

"Found a lovely lady on Facebook that makes them so going to buy one off her. I certainly didn’t know they existed. Apparently she makes up to 15 a week as they are so popular.

good that you have found someone to make them hopefully cheaper. Let us know if it works eventually

I’ll find out for you. "

Mine has 16 pockets and each has a packet of beads with them sewn into 4 different compartments to distribute the weight. Should be easy enough to make if you’re handy like that

I’ll find out for you.

Mine has 16 pockets and each has a packet of beads with them sewn into 4 different compartments to distribute the weight. Should be easy enough to make if you’re handy like that "

Glass beads or normal ones?

I’ll find out for you.

Mine has 16 pockets and each has a packet of beads with them sewn into 4 different compartments to distribute the weight. Should be easy enough to make if you’re handy like that

Glass beads or normal ones? "

I wouldn’t know. They’re little cream coloured ones

» Add a new message to this topic