FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Chosen career path

Chosen career path

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *layfullsam OP   Man  over a year ago

Solihull

Have you always known what you wanted to do as a career and more importantly is that the path you followed.

Or did you have dreams but life got in the way ?

Anyone studying late in life to pursue that dream ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Always wanted to be in the army as a kid then had kids too young could have coped being away

Never had a clear idea of what i wanted to do and just stumbled from one job to the next..

6 yrs ago my circumstances changed quite dramatically so i was able to start studying for a degree as i was home a lot so now i am currently sending out applications so i can finally pursue my ideal career

By *layfullsam OP   Man  over a year ago

Solihull

"Never had a clear idea of what i wanted to do and just stumbled from one job to the next..

6 yrs ago my circumstances changed quite dramatically so i was able to start studying for a degree as i was home a lot so now i am currently sending out applications so i can finally pursue my ideal career"

Well done you

Fell into it, thankfully.

I still don’t know what I want to do

By *tirluvMan  over a year ago

the right frame of mind -London

I always dreamt I'd achieve a Level 8 qualification in rubbish collection but my dreams were dealt a cruel blow by the rubbish ceiling

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

When I left school I wanted to work down the pits, they closed hold & cronton cookery.

Then I wanted to work in Pilkington or Ravenhead, both of the St. Helens sites closed.

I thought about joining the navy, I passed the entrance exams to be an Articifer. I failed the medical due to an eye injury.

After that I got some dead end jobs, before getting a job at Gatwick airport. After 16 years working various roles on the ramp at Gatwick airport, before getting the advisor job I have now.

By *orwegian BlueMan  over a year ago

Iceland, but Aldi is closer..

I wanted to be an engineer, maybe working in electronic design or computing..

I ended up in the armed forces.. Funny old game life, isn't it...

By *iamondCougarWoman  over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

I didn’t start where I wanted but accidentally fell into what has turned out to be a solid great career

I also recent qualified further after studying two years at degree level

By *ire_bladeMan  over a year ago

Manchester

I left school thinking I was thick as pig shit as it's all I was ever told but I had a pashon for cars bikes and anything mechanical. That pashon served me well. I now run my own garage and have a full time job doing what I always loved. Don't give up no matter what others tell you your only limits are your own

Not everyone grows up to be an astronaught... not everyone was born to be a king!

I had no idea what I wanted to be when I grew up and I still don't.

I love my job though.

"I left school thinking I was thick as pig shit as it's all I was ever told but I had a pashon for cars bikes and anything mechanical. That pashon served me well. I now run my own garage and have a full time job doing what I always loved. Don't give up no matter what others tell you your only limits are your own "

You're awesome.

By *ire_bladeMan  over a year ago

Manchester

"I left school thinking I was thick as pig shit as it's all I was ever told but I had a pashon for cars bikes and anything mechanical. That pashon served me well. I now run my own garage and have a full time job doing what I always loved. Don't give up no matter what others tell you your only limits are your own

You're awesome. "

Na I'm nothing special just pig headed and bloody minded. But thanks

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

Had two careers, just looking for a third

By *ittleAcornMan  over a year ago

visiting the beach

Nope, I've never had a clue. Joined the Army due to crap exam results, then meandered from there into the IT industry.

It's done me well, but probably wasn't a career I was even aware of originally.

I entered the job market during the global financial crisis.

Like home ownership; a well paid job I enjoy seems like a luxury that's just out of reach

By *iSTARessWoman  over a year ago

London

I always wanted to be an entertainer. Didn't get enough grades at school, so joined the army, then studied photography, became a Dominatrix, did a Fine Art Masters, by an odd twist of fate, became a female drag queen.

Was the long way round but it's my job (as well as Dominatrix which I always consider one to one theatre). I have no security, money or stability but wouldn't change it for a thing (ok more money would be nice...)

Wanted to be a bin man when i was a kid. by leaving school i wanted to be a graphic designer but struggling with ADD it was impossible.

I left school with zero gcse's, and began building/modifing cars & engines. I really enjoyed it so pushed it further and got qualified in mechanical & fabrication engineering.

Im 34 now and from a normal upbringing,worked my arse off and now Director of a structural engineering firm i absolutely love it but cant hack office work in duration so most the time am floating around fabricating funky v8 coffee tables up and wot knot.

By *layfulfoxMan  over a year ago

nowhere

"Never had a clear idea of what i wanted to do and just stumbled from one job to the next..

6 yrs ago my circumstances changed quite dramatically so i was able to start studying for a degree as i was home a lot so now i am currently sending out applications so i can finally pursue my ideal career"

That's awesome

By *layfulfoxMan  over a year ago

nowhere

I have a degree in a field I really enjoy but never had desired experience to work in the field.

Circumstances, family etc. became my focus.

Now I am studying to progress in the field I find myself in. I'm trying to make the most out of where I find myself

By *he-Hosiery-GentMan  over a year ago

Older Hot Bearded Guy

My belief system is somewhat removed from the corporate work world many identify with.

In my opinion many people unknowingly become sheeple, compromising themselves under societal peer pressure, betraying the call of the heart and who they really are, for fear of rejection.

Carpe diem.

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

Back in the day I wanted to be a prison warden but I was too short apparently.

I love my job very much.

I didn’t know what I wanted to do when I left school, and did a few different jobs. Then started working in the pubs and loved it. So trained to do management and did that for a while. But I got pregnant and was very ill so had to give up work, because my sons were very ill I’ve not been able to get back to work. But I did some volunteer work in schools and loved that x

I wanted to be a photographer and trained as such but real life and the need for a steady income lead me down another path.

I'm happy with it though.

always wanted my own night club through school..... ended up in shop work/ care work/ bar staff. then spent a few year in uni to get my degree for the job i do now once my kids had left home. sometimes i love it, others i hate it, sometimes it makes me cry. my dream.... to own my own tea room in the lake district

Him... 10 year as an engineer well paid but he hated it, just quit to go back to uni to retrain as a paramedic.

"Have you always known what you wanted to do as a career and more importantly is that the path you followed.

Or did you have dreams but life got in the way ?

Anyone studying late in life to pursue that dream ?"

Yep, always knew I wanted to work with children. I wanted to be a teacher, and still do, I just don’t have the time or money to go back into full time education.

yes.

but now im entering the next phase of my life i have needed to re-train into doing other things.

By *un4meanduMan  over a year ago

STOTFOLD

Didn't have a clue after parents moving areas 15 months before exams and couldn't do the subjects I wanted , started as a storeman worked up to electro mechanical prototype engineer, then went to a company as service engineer,theme service engineer to another company then promoted to service manager for 10 years then stitched up as the boss restructured to give a mate my job so redundant .

Set up my own odd job / repair business , now do anything up to complete refurb of property and also own a kennels and cattery and run that .

So its work hard and you will achieve something that can get u a reasonable life but could always want more.

"

My belief system is somewhat removed from the corporate work world many identify with.

In my opinion many people unknowingly become sheeple, compromising themselves under societal peer pressure, betraying the call of the heart and who they really are, for fear of rejection.

Carpe diem. "

What job do you do?

By *_Yeah19Couple  over a year ago

Lincoln

I went to uni at 27, but it wasn’t til about 35 that I realised what I actually wanted to do, so have just recently finished a relevant Masters aged 39, now just got to find the job!

TB

By *ynecplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

Made a big decision at the age of 18 and joined the army, it was only supposed to be for a 3 year break before I went to Uni instead I ended up with an amazing career. Now following another career path but nothing will ever compare to that first career for me.

Always wanted to be in the Army but eyesight came against me so did Nursing instead.Was in the Reserves for 15 yrs,loved that.They don't like it up em I say well done to anyone who's back studying/training,fair play.

Completely different from my hopes and aspirations. And totally fell in to my occupation of 20 years (the last ten of which have been self employed)

Left school and managed to land an apprenticeship as a Carpet/Floor layer. did that for 16 years. Then trained as a Crane driver which is what I did till I had to leave work and be Ali's Carer

when I left school the teacher told me I would end up in jail in a year lol god I provided them wrong had my own house by 19 and a very good job in the motor trade Iv worked dam hard for it but it has payed off now

By *uxom redCouple  over a year ago

Shrewsbury

No it didn't go the way I expect, had loads of different jobs.

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

Got into I.T. as a teenager and that was my chosen career.

By *tingly ByronMan  over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

I wanted to be a lumberjack, just like my dear Papa.....

I always wanted to be a professional magician. I even had an interview with the Magic Circle, but failed because they kept asking me trick questions.

By *ateniteCouple  over a year ago

Youghal

Always wanted to be a Squaddie. Applied at 16 but my mum wouldn't sign the paperwork. Applied again when I was 18 and off I went. Reluctantly left after 12 years for family reasons, worst decision of my life.

Now when people ask me what's your dream job I tell them I've already done it.

I wanted to be a cook lol so i joined the army and did 8 years as an army chef. I regret not going in as a driver though x

By *rx1Couple  over a year ago

North West Devon...

We both knew..Both managed our chosen career paths...Both wore uniforms to work (different professions)

"Not everyone grows up to be an astronaught... not everyone was born to be a king! "

Not everyone can be Freddie Mercury,

But everyone can raise a glass and sing

By *elvet RopeMan  over a year ago

by the big field

Im on my third career....although there are various skills links between them but i've fallen in to so many jobs by accident/serendipity its silly

» Add a new message to this topic