FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > E Book readers ... advice pls

E Book readers ... advice pls

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

MrsG would like an ebook reader

(Kindle thingy), I know nothing about them, can anyone give advice on which one's best please ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"MrsG would like an ebook reader

(Kindle thingy), I know nothing about them, can anyone give advice on which one's best please ?"

KINDLE! most definately

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

I love my Kindle and I never thought I would, only bought it for hols as I usually take half a dozen books leaving no room for clothes and toys lol - it's dead easy to use (I'm a technophobe) and I can buy books at the drop of a knicker from the comfort of my home and they're on the kindle immediately. I also bought a DVD off a well known auction site that had 7000 ebooks on it that I can just drag and drop from laptop onto the kindle (plug it into laptop via usb) - just make sure it says compatible with kindle as I bought another one that came with software for conversion to kindle but haven't worked it out yet - however, each dvd was less than a fiver so not like I'm massively out of pocket. Good luck from an avid reader who's off to Egypt for the new year with the Steig Larrson trilogy, Terry Pratchett's back catalogue, all the Jack Reacher series and Twilight for my Edward/Jacob fix

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

(Kindle thingy), I know nothing about them, can anyone give advice on which one's best please ?KINDLE! most definately "

which one tho, aren't there a few??

Thanks anyway hun

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

(Kindle thingy), I know nothing about them, can anyone give advice on which one's best please ?KINDLE! most definately

which one tho, aren't there a few??

Thanks anyway hun"

i have the one with the keyboard on, the newer ones dont have as much memory space from what i can gather

By *lack_BoltMan  over a year ago

oxford

My girlfriend's got a Kindle and I must say I'm very impressed with it. It's great for what it does and the price is just right too.

However the Kindle with the keyboard is now a 3G machine, whereas the new Kindle with a "virtual" keyboard is Wi-Fi. So you take your pick accordingly, but the Wi-Fi model seems better value overall.

Also avoid the Kindle Fire like the plague, I've only heard and read bad reviews about it.

By *adgeeMan  over a year ago

Sw Scotland

"Also avoid the Kindle Fire like the plague, I've only heard and read bad reviews about it.

"

Is that the new colour one thats been released in the states?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

got a kindle with the wireless 3g download for new books - and also get a case with the light - really great. I don't think you need the keyboard personally

I love mine and if buying again would stick with the wireless and the case with a light

nick

I've just bought a 3D Kindle.

Or a book as it's commonly known.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

techno thicky here..

why would you want a keyboard on one of theses things?

surely then a 'notebook' or laptop would suffice?

By *waymanMan  over a year ago

newcastle

"techno thicky here..

surely then a 'notebook' or laptop would suffice?"

Not quite; I transfer a lot of work docs onto my Kindle, and use the keyboard to leave myself notes.

You can also use it to send emails and stuff - although my mobile does that stuff better....

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"techno thicky here..

surely then a 'notebook' or laptop would suffice?

Not quite; I transfer a lot of work docs onto my Kindle, and use the keyboard to leave myself notes.

You can also use it to send emails and stuff - although my mobile does that stuff better...."

ty, kindle just trying to broaden their product base then..

By *stwoCouple  over a year ago

anywhere

kindle without a doubt.but pay the money and get 3g

Pay the extra £40 for the 3G, it gives lifetime internet connection on 3G from anywhere in the world(as well as WiFi when in range) simply put if you are on the beach and finish a book you can buy and download a new one right there right now

Same goes if on a camp site in the rain at silly o'clock in the morning, and can't sleep...

Love my Kindle - never thought I would and I still miss the feel and smell of reading a paperbook. I bought mine as I work abroad and can't cart a load of books around with me. I opted for the 3g model purely so I can download books if I don't have internet access. Screen genuinely looks like paper and using it is a doddle. I got a leather cover for mine from tesco for the bargain price of a tenner. The "genuine" kindle covers from Amazon are a rip off and I certainly manage without a light in my cover. Amazon seem to have cornered the market with the Kindle and it seems to be the best supported product. Books aren't always as cheap as you'd expext, but I guess the authors still need to make a living and there are loads of free books to download.

Bought the Sony T1 first after much review reading but not particularly impressed. Went on to get Kindle 4 WiFi version for the kids from Currys, not as pretty but excellent value for money and very good after sales support

By *umourCouple  over a year ago

Rushden

Kindle with keyboard and 3G here and I love it! The 3G version can get on the Tinterweb anywhere, so the keyboard is needed to type in addresses! As has been said, you can also put notations within the books..

I also use Audio books on the Kindle. Best with headphones, but really good for driving if you have an input in your car! (Driving with headphones is tantamount to Driving without due care and attention)

Unlike most e-readers and trendy items like the iPad, you can read a Kindle in the brightest sunlight, so sitting on a beach it's great. It uses an electronic "ink" that also saves battery power. For ordinary reading, I charge mine about once a month..

If you want to try out the Kindle setup before buying the E-reader, download the app for your phone. Of course you won't get the benefits of the easy read screen or the size of screen, but you will be able to read books in the Kindle setup.

You can also share any material you have on your kindle with up to 5 other devices... In my opinion, there is only one E-reader... Kindle

By *umourCouple  over a year ago

Rushden

And it connects to your PC...

You can download your pictures onto it and view in greyscale...

You can play music in the background whilst reading...

There are "hidden" bits on it and if you do a google search, it shows how to use them...

Look on eBay for a cover... I paid £5.50 for a leather cover that fits like a dream...

(Sits back and waits for the cheque from Amazon! )

» Add a new message to this topic