FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Age is a bugger

Age is a bugger

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Having spent my youth onwards doing contact sports, footy, Thai boxing, other martial arts I’ve decided to take up a more laid back sport in my old age. Golf seemed like a good idea. I went to the golf range to get a bit of practice in and managed to twist my knee and pull a muscle in my back just three balls in. I had a basket of 100 to get thru in fecking agony.

What signs does your body give you that you’re getting beyond some of your activities?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I know lots of friends that have always played various sports, football, squash, running etc etc. It’s amazing the percentage of them that are now in need of hip replacement, knee surgery etc. All this keep fit malarkey is a bit suspect... I’ll stick to fishing

"I know lots of friends that have always played various sports, football, squash, running etc etc. It’s amazing the percentage of them that are now in need of hip replacement, knee surgery etc. All this keep fit malarkey is a bit suspect... I’ll stick to fishing "

Very wise

By *hatYorkLadMan  over a year ago

York

I've got a few aches and pains but I'm in the gym a few times a week and I get thrashed all over on a weekend with the army reserves so I've just got used to it. Another 10 years and I might be struggling though!

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

My knees scream 'stop' when I'm zumba-ing, so much so I think I might actually have to stop!!

"My knees scream 'stop' when I'm zumba-ing, so much so I think I might actually have to stop!! "

Maybe time to take up knitting

By *pider-WomanWoman  over a year ago

Exeter, Bristol, Plymouth, Truro

"I know lots of friends that have always played various sports, football, squash, running etc etc. It’s amazing the percentage of them that are now in need of hip replacement, knee surgery etc. All this keep fit malarkey is a bit suspect... I’ll stick to fishing

Very wise "

Swimming and cycling are a good way forward. Keeps you fit and toned without the knee jerking

"My knees scream 'stop' when I'm zumba-ing, so much so I think I might actually have to stop!!

Maybe time to take up knitting "

And for you too OP

It has it's advantages. It's been a while since i've been asked for ID when buying booze.

I couldn’t bring myself to go to a golf club and join the Pringle sweatshirt dullards talking about there swing in the clubhouse. Plus I don’t drive a Audi or BMW, so they wouldn’t let me in anyway.

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

"My knees scream 'stop' when I'm zumba-ing, so much so I think I might actually have to stop!!

Maybe time to take up knitting "

Fly fishing for you. Isn't that what older guys do when they can't manage golf?

"My knees scream 'stop' when I'm zumba-ing, so much so I think I might actually have to stop!! "

5 years ago I could hardly walk, my doctor told me I needed a walking stick as I have arthritis in one of my knees.

I told her she could stick the stick were the sun doesn't shine.

I learnt to swim then took up cycling and have never looked back. X

While walking upstairs my knees sound like a Rubik’s cube lol

Blame football and top goal scorer useless trophy’s for that .

Im like a Dale now , useless on stairs .

While walking upstairs my knees sound like a Rubik’s cube lol

Blame football and top goal scorer useless trophy’s for that .

Im like a Dalek now , useless on stairs .

By *hinypants77Man  over a year ago

Leeds

Carry on carrying on and adapt. When your body is aching just change your training but never quit anything for good! Still Thai box!

Was talking to some people who run the comrades 90k marathon in South Africa and they were saying how many people still run it at 80 years old.

That’s my goal for 80 years old.

Maybe time to take up knitting

And for you too OP"

Haha very probably

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

5 years ago I could hardly walk, my doctor told me I needed a walking stick as I have arthritis in one of my knees.

I learnt to swim then took up cycling and have never looked back. X"

That's encouraging!! Use it or lose it they say.....swimming seems to cure all kinds of ills, cured my jivers' shoulder and is great for lumbar decompression too.

By *ot-AshMan  over a year ago

London

I played crazy golf on holiday recently and ended up with a groin strain so going to stick with my other sports now like chess and snooker as they're less dangerous.

That's encouraging!! Use it or lose it they say.....swimming seems to cure all kinds of ills, cured my jivers' shoulder and is great for lumbar decompression too."

Absolutely the problem was I couldn't swim. So I had adult lessons my god it was hell and I very nearly gave up so many times but I didn't. I can swim a 120 lengths now frout crawl 60-80 easily. But it's true use it or lose it..you choose.

I learnt to swim then took up cycling and have never looked back. X"

Interesting about the cycling I would have thought that would have made it worse. My knees are shot from too many years horse riding in short stirrups, cycling may be ok then?

Interesting about the cycling I would have thought that would have made it worse. My knees are shot from too many years horse riding in short stirrups, cycling may be ok then? "

From my experience yes its fine. But Im no expert. I dont know about all cycling but Im a road cyclist.

Interesting about the cycling I would have thought that would have made it worse. My knees are shot from too many years horse riding in short stirrups, cycling may be ok then?

From my experience yes its fine. But Im no expert. I dont know about all cycling but Im a road cyclist."

I'll give it a go. X

I exercise nearly everyday. Thought i was clever jogging on the treadmill felt great after but yesterday boy did i suffer

"I exercise nearly everyday. Thought i was clever jogging on the treadmill felt great after but yesterday boy did i suffer"

Oh female here lol

My day of football and rugby are long behind me now .last time I played footy, some one tried to take my ankle home with them ha ha so I'll stick to the millions of miles I ramble

» Add a new message to this topic