FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > London marathon rejects!

London marathon rejects!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hi all, anyone lucky enough to get into London this year?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Nope i got rejected again

12th rejection for me, I don’t know what I’d do now if I actually got in!

By *hyevernotMan  over a year ago

Here and there

I got rejected and did the Edinburgh marathon instead a couple of years ago. It was brilliant. Always get in too.

"12th rejection for me, I don’t know what I’d do now if I actually got in! "

Get in through the back door and fund raise a zillion pounds for charity

"I got rejected and did the Edinburgh marathon instead a couple of years ago. It was brilliant. Always get in too. "

Is Edinburgh a flatish course?

"12th rejection for me, I don’t know what I’d do now if I actually got in!

Get in through the back door and fund raise a zillion pounds for charity "

No, if/when I get a ballot place, I want to fundraiser for a smaller charity I help.x

Here and there

"I got rejected and did the Edinburgh marathon instead a couple of years ago. It was brilliant. Always get in too.

Is Edinburgh a flatish course? "

It's the flattest in the UK I think. Support was fantastic too.

By *alking DisasterWoman  over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

Yes, rejected again

Edinburgh is meant to be quite flat, but the ending is a bit soul destroying - or so I've been told!

"12th rejection for me, I don’t know what I’d do now if I actually got in!

Get in through the back door and fund raise a zillion pounds for charity

No, if/when I get a ballot place, I want to fundraiser for a smaller charity I help.x"

Sounds like a plan, I'm sure you will get there

Here and there

"Yes, rejected again

Edinburgh is meant to be quite flat, but the ending is a bit soul destroying - or so I've been told!"

Yes not quite the historical finish as you run into a school field, but the rest of the course is great. To be honest I was so exhilarated to be finishing I didn't care about the end scenery.

By *NN23Woman  over a year ago

Scotland

"Yes, rejected again

Edinburgh is meant to be quite flat, but the ending is a bit soul destroying - or so I've been told!"

That's what my sister hated about it, the last 6 miles. The year she did it was really windy too so the last part was running directly into the wind.

By *r SxxMan  over a year ago

ashford

I've worked at the Brighton marathon and London marathon the last 2 years - you're all crazy!

By *rimson_RoseWoman  over a year ago

Tamworth

Another rejection here too...

"I got rejected and did the Edinburgh marathon instead a couple of years ago. It was brilliant. Always get in too.

Is Edinburgh a flatish course?

It's the flattest in the UK I think. Support was fantastic too. "

Best ive run for atmosphere and support was dublin. But it takes place at the tail end of the season, end of october

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

Yup, me too. But donated my entry and got a cool training jacket.

South Oxfordshire

"Yes, rejected again

Edinburgh is meant to be quite flat, but the ending is a bit soul destroying - or so I've been told!

That's what my sister hated about it, the last 6 miles. The year she did it was really windy too so the last part was running directly into the wind. "

It's the last 6 miles or so I'm talking about. Unless you are super fast, you'll see the others coming back towards just as they are hitting the wall. So you know you have that to look forward to!

Got rejected again, donlt know anyone that got a ballot spot this year. I'll be there all day manning a cheering point for the charity my G/f ran for in 2016 as like to pay back the support she received that day

Not sure what I'll do next year, don;t want to do Brighton again, can;t do Newport which had been my plan so probably Manchester. I've got a track marathon in March (as in 105 laps of a running track) so might leave it at that

Here and there

"Yes, rejected again

That's what my sister hated about it, the last 6 miles. The year she did it was really windy too so the last part was running directly into the wind.

It's the last 6 miles or so I'm talking about. Unless you are super fast, you'll see the others coming back towards just as they are hitting the wall. So you know you have that to look forward to!"

I passed a lot of people walking and that did start to sap my resolve. But then the crowd picked up and I was running for charity and had my name on my shirt. There were so many people calling my name and encouraging me I made it through.

South Oxfordshire

"Got rejected again, donlt know anyone that got a ballot spot this year. I'll be there all day manning a cheering point for the charity my G/f ran for in 2016 as like to pay back the support she received that day

Not sure what I'll do next year, don;t want to do Brighton again, can;t do Newport which had been my plan so probably Manchester. I've got a track marathon in March (as in 105 laps of a running track) so might leave it at that"

I know of one person who got a place through the ballot. No one in my club did (that I'm aware of).

"Got rejected again, donlt know anyone that got a ballot spot this year. I'll be there all day manning a cheering point for the charity my G/f ran for in 2016 as like to pay back the support she received that day

Not sure what I'll do next year, don;t want to do Brighton again, can;t do Newport which had been my plan so probably Manchester. I've got a track marathon in March (as in 105 laps of a running track) so might leave it at that

I know of one person who got a place through the ballot. No one in my club did (that I'm aware of)."

No one in my girlfriends club got in either but one of her collaegues who's quite a new runner got in. The ballot is far from random and I suspect one of the meany algorithms woks against club runners. Like anything remotely attached to Branson it's all about brand promotion and new runners who've only ran a 10km will get them way more social media exposure than a 46 year old who has done several marathons already.

By *ishy_fishyMan  over a year ago

hinckley

I managed to get a ballet place I don’t know how as it’s the first time I’ve ever entered the ballet before ?

By *rincess peachWoman  over a year ago

shits creek

Just wanna give a shout out to all that even attempt it. Take my hat off to ya. I can't even run to the shop.... at the end of the road.

South Oxfordshire

I know of one person who got a place through the ballot. No one in my club did (that I'm aware of).

No one in my girlfriends club got in either but one of her collaegues who's quite a new runner got in. The ballot is far from random and I suspect one of the meany algorithms woks against club runners. Like anything remotely attached to Branson it's all about brand promotion and new runners who've only ran a 10km will get them way more social media exposure than a 46 year old who has done several marathons already."

I do think it might be biased against club runners. I think it's because they assume we are all fantastic runners who can get in via good for age.

Another rejection here.....

No one in my girlfriends club got in either but one of her collaegues who's quite a new runner got in. The ballot is far from random and I suspect one of the meany algorithms woks against club runners. Like anything remotely attached to Branson it's all about brand promotion and new runners who've only ran a 10km will get them way more social media exposure than a 46 year old who has done several marathons already.

I do think it might be biased against club runners. I think it's because they assume we are all fantastic runners who can get in via good for age."

I suspect that there is a an element of that and also clubs gets additional spaces to dish out to their members. I know that the ballot causes a lot of angst but I think the way it distributes places across gender and ability is pretty fair. There are an awful lot of 40 somthing men wanting to run around 4 hours so limit them. Similarly people at the extreme ends of the age spectrum seem to do a lot better in the ballot.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

Rejected for the 3rd year although I was lucky enough to get my club place 2 years ago so did it in 2017

No luck again. I’ve been lucky enough to have done it twice before but with charity places so not too disappointed. Might do Manchester instead, I’ve heard it’s a fast course.

South Oxfordshire

"No luck again. I’ve been lucky enough to have done it twice before but with charity places so not too disappointed. Might do Manchester instead, I’ve heard it’s a fast course. "

It's a bit slower now they've got the correct distance

» Add a new message to this topic