FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Looking for backpacking tips....

Looking for backpacking tips....

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hello all.

Any of you guys been backpacking/travelling? If so please share any places worth a visit. I'll be leaving next summer with no plan, just up and go. Obviously I'm in the process of getting the proper equipment, any tips on equipment would be useful too.

Thanks in advance

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Stay on the road

Keep away from the moors

Take a backpack

Watch these movies before going anywhere back packing-

The Beach

Hostle

Hostle 2

Hostle 3

The hills have eyes

The remake of the hills have eyes

Deliverance

Southern comfort

The Serbian film

Cannibal mercenary

Whatever that one where he cuts his own arm off because he fell down a cravas and caught it under a rock.

Rambo first blood

Dog soldiers

By *eliWoman  over a year ago

"Watch these movies before going anywhere back packing "

By *ighland gentlemanMan  over a year ago

Ardgay

Wild camping is not illegal in Scotland.

"Stay on the road

Keep away from the moors"

Classic! I'd love it if something from those movies happened! Make it more interesting.

By *hyevernotMan  over a year ago

Here and there

"Hello all.

Any of you guys been backpacking/travelling? If so please share any places worth a visit. I'll be leaving next summer with no plan, just up and go. Obviously I'm in the process of getting the proper equipment, any tips on equipment would be useful too.

Thanks in advance "

I have no backpacking advice but good on you for living out your dreams. Great that there's no plan. I wish you all the best, and may your feet be forever blister free.

Damn it was gonna say the same!! Lol

By *innie The MinxWoman  over a year ago

Under the Duvet

Central America is fantastic. Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua (my favourite), Panama , Costa Rica. Maybe get a cheap flight across to Cuba also.

"Wild camping is not illegal in Scotland.

"

Is it illegal? I've wild camped in a few places. I dId some of South coast this year and no one said anything. Even asked the police at one point. They just said leave it as you found it.

Experienced camper biker and world traveler here.

Where you going, how long you intend to travel and alone or in company?

"Hello all.

Thanks in advance

I have no backpacking advice but good on you for living out your dreams. Great that there's no plan. I wish you all the best, and may your feet be forever blister free. "

Thanks for that. Yes blisters! Hence I'm made a 12 month plan to get all the proper stuff. Expensive! Get what you pay for. My backpack is sexy mind. I can see how women get an obsession over bags lol.

Syria. If you show up there with a rucksack, cargos and wrap around shades they will love you.

Dofar. Lovely climate.

Sierra Leone. Lovely primary forest, beautiful countryside, lovely people.

The Congo. Setting of the tin tin book you can’t get anywhere, I understand if you drink umbongo they will love you.

Thailand. Stop at the first gym you see and offer everyone on. If you survive ..... er after visit a few bars, always remember the local chat up line ‘jiggy jiggy ten dollar’

Cuba. Arrive wearing an American eagle t-shirt playing ‘made in the USA’

"Experienced camper biker and world traveler here.

Where you going, how long you intend to travel and alone or in company?"

No plan just going over to France and see what happens basically. No time limit either. I'll work as I go, I'll have emergency cash but won't use unless I need to. Just keep topping it up with working. I got experience in hotels and bars. I'll do anything... I'm going on my own.

By *innie The MinxWoman  over a year ago

Under the Duvet

Look at the couch surfing web site also. Stay with local people for free. Or find local people to show you round. Brilliant site. Made some good friends.

"Syria. If you show up there with a rucksack, cargos and wrap around shades they will love you.

Dofar. Lovely climate.

Sierra Leone. Lovely primary forest, beautiful countryside, lovely people.

The Congo. Setting of the tin tin book you can’t get anywhere, I understand if you drink umbongo they will love you.

Thailand. Stop at the first gym you see and offer everyone on. If you survive ..... er after visit a few bars, always remember the local chat up line ‘jiggy jiggy ten dollar’

Cuba. Arrive wearing an American eagle t-shirt playing ‘made in the USA’

"

You obviously don't know who you're talking too... I'd do all of that! Screenshotted

"Watch these movies before going anywhere back packing-

The Beach

Hostle

Hostle 2

Hostle 3

The hills have eyes

Deliverance

Southern comfort

The Serbian film

Cannibal mercenary

Whatever that one where he cuts his own arm off because he fell down a cravas and caught it under a rock.

Rambo first blood

Dog soldiers

"

Don't forget Wolf Creek.

"Look at the couch surfing web site also. Stay with local people for free. Or find local people to show you round. Brilliant site. Made some good friends."

Yeah I'm registered on couchsurfing already. Its a good app. Really useful and there's lots of events around Europe too. Meet loads of people. I find it easy to meet people anyway.

In all seriousness.

Check what jabs you need for the area you are traveling.

Get decent anti malarials if you intend to stay on them for an extended period of time.

Carry a decent first aid kit, not a shit one from an outdoors shop. Include anti hestamine and decent pain releif, and comped type blister stuff as well as zinc tape and alcohol wipes.

And a small dental first aid kit.

If your going anywhere remote make sure the water purification you decide on will work there.

I always if I go anywhere iffy always hide a pre payed card or local currency and crisis currency (usually dollars) under the insole of a boot or hidden inside my belt (sewn in rather than in a money belt)

Don’t bother with survival / bush craft doohickeys unless you actually know how to use them.

Check local laws and travel advice on the regions and countries if you carry a blade. (I travel with a leatherman and a folding knife in my washing and shaving kit)

"Stay on the road

Keep away from the moors

Classic! I'd love it if something from those movies happened! Make it more interesting. "

you going to the Australian outback if so take venom antidote

Don’t forget the sun screen

No plan just going over to France and see what happens basically. No time limit either. I'll work as I go, I'll have emergency cash but won't use unless I need to. Just keep topping it up with working. I got experience in hotels and bars. I'll do anything... I'm going on my own. "

Carry only what you'd carry for 1 week. Thats the same as youll need for 6 months. 60 litre rucksac maximum. Anything bigger youll be carrying more than you need. I'd suggest making a profile on couchsurfing dot c o m. Try to make contact and meet locally with one or more on it and get them to verify you. Your bio on it is very important. It's a very good way to find accommodation. Warning remove any thought of play. It's frowned upon. It's a travelers playground and that's what they're interested in. Post on it if you're interested in another joining. It does make it easier if it a lady with ad you'll have more options opened up for staying. (most single ladies on it won't host a single male for safety reasons unless they're well experienced members). Most important thing is good shoes as important as your bag. 2 pairs and a beach pair. Cotton socks or better are bamboo fiber socks!

Basic first aid with anticeptic cream antihistamines anti inflammatory es, stretch crepe bandage, plasters, foot cream and some powder. Your injuries most likely are foot hand and head related. Rehydrate powder sachés

2 good 500ml water bottles or 1 1 litre. Metal is best,plastic breaks and shouldn't be used after a month because of breakdown in sunlight.

A rucksack packloc net ...allows you to lock up your pack to a fixed point for security. A small money belt type wallet. Good small penknife (Swiss army are the best). Microfiber towel. Lightweight 2 season sleeping bag plus a silk liner. ( this is easily washed and dries quickly allowing ur bag to stay fresh.

Cap. Spain battery for ur phone unless you've a newer one that can't be changed... Then a spare charging bank kept charged for emergencies. Download map areas off Google and save to use off line in cities where you don't need Internet but just use it with ur gps.

Tell bank you're going to Europe especially if further than that. Get a card which either give free withdrawals in local currency or free purchases. ( you can't get both) Have post office or similar prepaid card for immergencies.

Passport.

Budget well and stick to it.

Happy travelling.

By *r MoriartyMan  over a year ago

The Land that time forgot (Norfolk)

Don't do it! Save up and have a proper holiday, somewhere with pool service as a minimum.

"Stay on the road

Keep away from the moors

Classic! I'd love it if something from those movies happened! Make it more interesting. you going to the Australian outback if so take venom antidote "

No... its only good for up to 2 months stored in a container kept below 5 degrees and the native mom is only useful within certain types. I'd take a zapper... stun gun... This breaks down the molecular composition of all types of venom and stops it being venomous. Works on snakes...Scorpions even stops the itch from mosquito bites. I carry one when ever I travel to Africa or India and that's about 3 or 4x a year. I've used it on a child that got stud by a scorpion on the ackle. With 30 mins the child was out playing with the others and the pain had almost completely gone.

By *itty9899Man  over a year ago

Craggy Island

"Stay on the road

And lorry drivers.

Carry a few condoms too. Useful for many things other than the obvious. Cur the end off and slip over a dressing wound to keep dry I'd swimming or for showers. Make good elastic bands too.

By *un4meanduMan  over a year ago

STOTFOLD

Couple of things you may not think of

Contact some charities in areas your thinking of as for a bit of assistance/ work you will get fed and somewhere to stay but also valuable local knowledge also gets round work visas in some areas .

I use a hammock parachute type material not the net ones very small and light but a great nights sleep almost anywhere u can hang it especially if used with a bivi bag or poncho and mosquito net

Invest in a good sleeping bag that dries well if it gets wet and a dry bag

Don't know what experience you have but if you are going to walk any distance get out and do at least a few training walks with all the kit you are taking to adjust it and use it so reduces rubbing etc

And remember footwear is one of the most important bits of kit and depends on where you are going (climate weather humidity monsoon rivers mud heat thorns etc)

Hope this is of some use good luck and enjoy

"Couple of things you may not think of

Contact some charities in areas your thinking of as for a bit of assistance/ work you will get fed and somewhere to stay but also valuable local knowledge also gets round work visas in some areas .

I use a hammock parachute type material not the net ones very small and light but a great nights sleep almost anywhere u can hang it especially if used with a bivi bag or poncho and mosquito net

Don't know what experience you have but if you are going to walk any distance get out and do at least a few training walks with all the kit you are taking to adjust it and use it so reduces rubbing etc

And remember footwear is one of the most important bits of kit and depends on where you are going (climate weather humidity monsoon rivers mud heat thorns etc)

Hope this is of some use good luck and enjoy "

Thanks for that! I intend on buying good shoes. Budget is £100 a pair so should get decent ones for that. I did do the South West coast but bought cheap... only lasted few days. It's more like rock climbing down there than a coastal walk!

"Don't do it! Save up and have a proper holiday, somewhere with pool service as a minimum."

Don't interest me all that mate sorry. I'd rather live the holiday with the basics than just spend it all in 2 weeks. I look at it this way. Whenever I spend money I think of how many hours work I had to do to earn that amount. Then I think is it worth it?

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

"Couple of things you may not think of

Hope this is of some use good luck and enjoy "

Emmaus (There's a branch in Waterbeach, near Cambridge) and Don Bosco in France

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

Are you still living in a tent?

"Are you still living in a tent?"

Good memory! No I got a place now. Been working couple months. I know I said I wouldn't get a place but it's a plan for what I really want to do.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

"Are you still living in a tent?

Good memory! No I got a place now. Been working couple months. I know I said I wouldn't get a place but it's a plan for what I really want to do. "

You're a hard guy to forget. But I have a long memory. I'll be watching you.

"Are you still living in a tent?

Good memory! No I got a place now. Been working couple months. I know I said I wouldn't get a place but it's a plan for what I really want to do.

You're a hard guy to forget. But I have a long memory. I'll be watching you. "

Be watching me lol.

By *un4meanduMan  over a year ago

STOTFOLD

One more tip op is make sure you keep someone reliable updated where you are, where you are going next and a timeframe before you expect to get there and check in with them again especially in remote or risky areas that way they can raise the alarm if you go missing/ fall have an accident ect, I was a point of contact for my friend who was in Asia he slipped on a mud track and ruptured ligaments in his leg couldn't walk and phone didn't have signal I raised the alarm and local police found him , remember its just a back up and we had agreed to leave it 12 hours after agreed contact before raising alarm .he had been there 18 hours when they found him .

By *veready69Man  over a year ago

PLYMOUTH

Helpx site is really good. Used it right across the US.

If you can, go to Nepal and do the Annapurna circuit.

Blisters? Two pair of socks; thin nylon and thick woolen. No blisters.

By *iss.ddWoman  over a year ago

Leeds + Newcastle

Look for tactical and practical clothes.

Easy wash, wicks sweat away, can go with multiple functions.

Saves a lot of packing

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I've backpacked in most of Europe, the USA, Australia and New Zealand, as my favourite spots.

I start with an outline and some definite plans but have usually met up with great people where we've formed plans and traveled together.

Don't assume that any one trip must be homogeneous - that's fine for package holidays. I keep my flexibility and set off - I've got to airports without plans or tickets, in one instance then travelling around the world.

Ensure they are tested and that oral contraception is taken unless you had the snip.

Oh, backpacking

By *veready69Man  over a year ago

PLYMOUTH

"Don't do it! Save up and have a proper holiday, somewhere with pool service as a minimum.

Don't interest me all that mate sorry. I'd rather live the holiday with the basics than just spend it all in 2 weeks. I look at it this way. Whenever I spend money I think of how many hours work I had to do to earn that amount. Then I think is it worth it? "

Go to Asia, so much cheaper over there.

"Watch these movies before going anywhere back packing-

The Beach

Hostle

Hostle 2

Hostle 3

The hills have eyes

Deliverance

Southern comfort

The Serbian film

Cannibal mercenary

Rambo first blood

Dog soldiers

"

Warewolf in London

"Hello all.

Thanks in advance

I have no backpacking advice but good on you for living out your dreams. Great that there's no plan. I wish you all the best, and may your feet be forever blister free. "

Placenta from a raw egg is good on blisters im told. Got that from strictly, it takes two

Thanks all for your advice. All noted!

"Central America is fantastic. Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua (my favourite), Panama , Costa Rica. Maybe get a cheap flight across to Cuba also.

"

This. Go south from here and don't ignore Argentina. It's spectacular.

If you've a few quid leftover, make some time and see Nepal.

I only came to this thread as I'm half asleep and thought it was advice on barebacking.

I was ready to read the fallout in my sleepy stupor

"Don't do it! Save up and have a proper holiday, somewhere with pool service as a minimum.

Don't interest me all that mate sorry. I'd rather live the holiday with the basics than just spend it all in 2 weeks. I look at it this way. Whenever I spend money I think of how many hours work I had to do to earn that amount. Then I think is it worth it?

Go to Asia, so much cheaper over there.

"

Yeah a lot of people said do Asia first..... let's see what happens.

Go lightweight as much as you can your ruck might feel OK when you try it on at home but if it's too heavy you'll be pissed off, and your morale will fall. Get a poncho preferably ex military as they're bombproof and have a multitude of uses emergency shelter groundsheet ect. Get the most comfortable boots you can not the most expensive. It doesn't matter if the boots are 50 or 300 it's how well they fit and how comfortable they are that matters. Remember the rule of 2is 1and 1is none. If you've got no back up to a vital bit of kit and it breaks your screwed! I've wild camped all over Scotland and Northumberland and loved every minute of it even in bad weather. Try the West Highland way in Scotland its excellent! Good luck and happy travels!

By *etLikeMan  over a year ago

most fundamental aspects

Security

Buy a second wallet. It’s useful for keeping currency separated when you’re going from one country to the next. The other advantage, is that if the unthinkable happens and someone demands your “wallet” singular, you can hand over the one with the least value and still have something.

Take several photocopies of your passport and only carry your original when you absolutely have to.

Plan your route somewhere unfamiliar in advance in your hostel or where you’re staying then write it down. You will then both benefit from wifi and you won’t be wandering about holding your phone out in front of you looking at google maps. However take a photo of the outside of your accommodation. If you do get lost you can then show that to a local If language is a barrier.

Make sure your clothing has zipped pockets and regularly check that your valuables are in there and that the zips are fastened.

By *etLikeMan  over a year ago

most fundamental aspects

If you’re going to Asia then it’s worth getting the Grab app. It’s like Uber (only better). Get a grab from airports to your accommodation and book it on the app not by a driver trying to show it on their phone. Tell any other drivers that you are being picked up by a friend to fend off the constant “Taxi?” shouts.

By *orwegian BlueMan  over a year ago

Iceland, but Aldi is closer..

Just one thing over everything else, and dry sack with a change of clothes in it..

If the weather is crap, the last thing you want is to be trying to sleep in wet clothes, you will be miserable and become run down and sick within a week.

Apart from that, don't forget your toothbrush and antispasmodic Meds for when you get the shits...

Have fun.

Oh, all most forgot, visit St Jean pied de port in the south west, I lived there for a while and its a beautiful place.

"Hello all.

Thanks in advance

I have no backpacking advice but good on you for living out your dreams. Great that there's no plan. I wish you all the best, and may your feet be forever blister free.

Thanks for that. Yes blisters! Hence I'm made a 12 month plan to get all the proper stuff. Expensive! Get what you pay for. My backpack is sexy mind. I can see how women get an obsession over bags lol. "

Zinc tape or micropore tape is excellent for blisters (its like sticky paper, easy to tear)....once the burn starts then apply the tape and it should stay on for a few days....I've walked the coast to coast and the stuff is amazing

"Hello all.

Thanks in advance "

Better to have some sort of plan as you will need to apply for visas for some countries and allow for double the money that you think you will need.

I spent years travelling the world .

Firstly travel light you can buy anything you need out there.Throw away your Lonley planet it's a trail followed by every man woman and child .Dont follow the herd and you'll have an adventure .

Travel overland as much as possible because it's not the destination but the journey you'll remember .

Take a frisbee it's a plate and entertainment for you and friends you meet .The best destinations are a pain to get to.If it's easy it's touristy.

To many destinations to mention that I've been but if your in Indonesia Nias island and the banyak islands off the coast of Sumatra are stunning.

By *lsieWoman  over a year ago

where ever

"Stay on the road

One of my favourite films .

Don't go to the Slaughtered Lamb for a pint ......

No plan just going over to France and see what happens basically. No time limit either. I'll work as I go, I'll have emergency cash but won't use unless I need to. Just keep topping it up with working. I got experience in hotels and bars. I'll do anything... I'm going on my own. "

I live in France for part of the year and it is more expensive there now. Watch for Brexit complications as it may effect you being in Europe for more than 90 days in each 6 month period (at present can stay for 6 months a year). Look at www.workaway.com for posts of where you can work - free and paid. Make sure you have travel health insurance. Open a Starling bank account - free currency worldwide - I used it last year when I went to India and it was great.

"In all seriousness.

Get decent anti malarials if you intend to stay on them for an extended period of time.

Carry a decent first aid kit, not a shit one from an outdoors shop. Include anti hestamine and decent pain releif, and comped type blister stuff as well as zinc tape and alcohol wipes.

If your going anywhere remote make sure the water purification you decide on will work there.

I always if I go anywhere iffy always hide a pre payed card or local currency and crisis currency (usually dollars) under the insole of a boot or hidden inside my belt (sewn in rather than in a money belt)

Don’t bother with survival / bush craft doohickeys unless you actually know how to use them.

Check local laws and travel advice on the regions and countries if you carry a blade. (I travel with a leatherman and a folding knife in my washing and shaving kit)

"

Buy a "Water to go" bottle - you can fill it with any water and it will make it drinkable. Filter lasts 3 months. The plastic bottle litter around the world is horrendous.

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

Anti diarrhoea tablets are a must. 50p for six in some shops.

"Go lightweight as much as you can your ruck might feel OK when you try it on at home but if it's too heavy you'll be pissed off, and your morale will fall. Get a poncho preferably ex military as they're bombproof and have a multitude of uses emergency shelter groundsheet ect. Get the most comfortable boots you can not the most expensive. It doesn't matter if the boots are 50 or 300 it's how well they fit and how comfortable they are that matters. Remember the rule of 2is 1and 1is none. If you've got no back up to a vital bit of kit and it breaks your screwed! I've wild camped all over Scotland and Northumberland and loved every minute of it even in bad weather. Try the West Highland way in Scotland its excellent! Good luck and happy travels! "

Yeah I get what youre saying. I got the osprey 70l aether backpack so that's sorted. I don't intend to take a lot. All clothing will be lightweight. That's why it's taking me a year to get everything I need. So expensive. But worth it for what I need it for. I've had nothing but positive feedback so far... which is good. Lots of useful tips and places to go so THANKS ALL!!!

"Anti diarrhoea tablets are a must. 50p for six in some shops."

STANDARD!!!

"In all seriousness.

Buy a "Water to go" bottle - you can fill it with any water and it will make it drinkable. Filter lasts 3 months. The plastic bottle litter around the world is horrendous."

Yeah I agree! So much waste in packaging.

No plan just going over to France and see what happens basically. No time limit either. I'll work as I go, I'll have emergency cash but won't use unless I need to. Just keep topping it up with working. I got experience in hotels and bars. I'll do anything... I'm going on my own.

I live in France for part of the year and it is more expensive there now. Watch for Brexit complications as it may effect you being in Europe for more than 90 days in each 6 month period (at present can stay for 6 months a year). Look at www.workaway.com for posts of where you can work - free and paid. Make sure you have travel health insurance. Open a Starling bank account - free currency worldwide - I used it last year when I went to India and it was great. "

Heard on the news that were leaving the EU but staying with the rules etc until December 2021... so should be fine to travel around Europe for a year or 2. Will look at website thanks. Not heard of that one. There was a free magazine when I lived in London years ago called TNT I think. That had jobs for backpackers. Really good. Like I said you guys have given me lots of useful info!!!

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

Good luck... watch hasta Alaska on YouTube

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

[Removed by poster at 17/10/18 18:37:11]

No tips from me, but it all sounds really exciting and a worthwhile experience. X

» Add a new message to this topic