FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > New car advice please

New car advice please

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ex-a-frolics OP   Couple  over a year ago

Brizzle

We are changing our car & think we know what we want. We are buying second hand on a small budget & having read reviews the 1.4 petrol engine is sluggish & the one to go for is the 1.6 diesel. Problem is should we buy a diesel, isn’t the price going to rocket up along with the cheap tax associated with diesels? I know we can’t drive into central London but who wants to anyway.

Are we making a mistake buying a diesel?

Thanks.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

What car is it?

"We are changing our car & think we know what we want. We are buying second hand on a small budget & having read reviews the 1.4 petrol engine is sluggish & the one to go for is the 1.6 diesel. Problem is should we buy a diesel, isn’t the price going to rocket up along with the cheap tax associated with diesels? I know we can’t drive into central London but who wants to anyway.

Thanks.

"

I think it’s safe to buy a diesel at the moment. They’re pretty quick to be honest. There’s talk about extra congestion charge fee to drive into London but that probably won’t be for a little while yet.

By *ire_bladeMan  over a year ago

Manchester

You are if your not going to use it for what it was made for. Doing miles. What car you thinking of ?

What car and what year?

By *mm and HerCouple  over a year ago

Hertfordshire

And depends on how long you'll keep it, and the age of the car now. It's the older ones in particular that the Government is down on. I think you'll likely be fine for at least the next 5 years

Just been handed a new Vauxhall Corsa (can) 1.3 diesel, it goes exceptionally well and is (so the computer says) just shy of 70mpg ??

By *palWoman  over a year ago

The Bermuda Triangle in Suffolk

Will keep an eye on this thread as am also wanting a certain car that I feel is ideal and looking for a 1.6 diesel and not new.

By *ylonSlutTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

Depends on how much you are going to pay. You will get the economy of diesel. But as you aware the government is going to gradually going to crack down on diesel. So obviously a diesel car is going to lose value and also the price of diesel is going to creep up quicker than petrol even more so if the government tax it.

By *ire_bladeMan  over a year ago

Manchester

I'm hearing this crap about diesel daily now what's the government going to do about diesels bla bla bla don't worry about that least not with to much concern. Look how many fleets of cars lorrys vans ambulances fire engine and God knows what the government has. Do you really think they are going to write them off like fuck they will they couldn't organise I piss up. What they will do is try and tax it and tax it and tax it. It's up to us the public how much of that we're willing to take up the wrong en that counts on that. The real question you should be asking and nobody has yet is do I do enough miles to 1 justify the asking price they are dearer to buy. The extras servicing costs again a little more than a petrol. But the most important will you use it enough to keep it healthy. All modern diesels have to do miles if they don't they will develop serious problem. Blocked dpf filters and blown turbo are putting my kids through collage and all because the owner has no idea of the basics of a diesel as well as the importance of maintenance and how you need to adjust it depending on your use of it.

By *actilemale4uMan  over a year ago

London

"Depends on how much you are going to pay. You will get the economy of diesel. But as you aware the government is going to gradually going to crack down on diesel. So obviously a diesel car is going to lose value and also the price of diesel is going to creep up quicker than petrol even more so if the government tax it."

Agree with above 100%. Swapped pack to petrol couple years back. Also remember couple years back vw and others fiddling mpg

By *good-being-badMan  over a year ago

mis-types and auto corrects leads cock leeds

His the times change wasn't too long ago petrol was the fuel that was to be avoided and diesel were far greener and more or less incentivised.

The small engined cars I've driven have all been pretty nippy and OK for driving .

Don't buy French

"We are changing our car & think we know what we want. We are buying second hand on a small budget & having read reviews the 1.4 petrol engine is sluggish & the one to go for is the 1.6 diesel. Problem is should we buy a diesel, isn’t the price going to rocket up along with the cheap tax associated with diesels? I know we can’t drive into central London but who wants to anyway.

Thanks.

I think it’s safe to buy a diesel at the moment. They’re pretty quick to be honest. There’s talk about extra congestion charge fee to drive into London but that probably won’t be for a little while yet. "

Erm, sorry. That’s wrong.

Those who live in London. We’re screwed. Especially if you’re driving diesel or particular petrol cars. They’ve got the ULEZ tax coming in next year for driving within central London and then the ULEZ for those driving/living within the A406 (which is me) in 2021.

So, it’s much sooner than many think.

I’m in the same predicament too. Need to replace my car and get a much more ‘energy efficient’ vehicle. Unless you’re buying a brand spanking new one. Many of the cars I’ve looked at fall foul of the ULEZ tax.

Wish I could go for a smaller car with a smaller engine. But, that just isn’t practical for me.

I’d say petrol would be best. Especially, if you’re driving within London and not going for those long drives regularly.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I'd love to change away from diesel, but I need a van so there's no choice really.

Cal

is the current disparity in the price of petrol and the price of diesel purely tax ?

By *ex-a-frolics OP   Couple  over a year ago

Brizzle

"What car and what year?

"

Citroen C3 Picasso 2010/2011

If you do lots of short journeys then diesels can get a build up of depositsin the exhaust and can start smoke heavily. Can be avoided by taking it for a long run periodically .

Screw the government i love my dirty diesel

Goes like stink and 52 mpg win win

» Add a new message to this topic