FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > W series motor racing...

W series motor racing...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ddit... OP   Man  over a year ago

Land of the giants... ;-)

The elite of motorsport for women will be the W series in 2019...

Will having a women only championship propell ladies more into motorsport? Or is it a way to segregate women?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

Realistically it'll only be open to women who are already in motorsport - as one said today, she'd still race other categories, this would just be another one.

I suspect it depends on the tracks, exposure and sponsorship as to how useful it is in the long run.

But I'd rather watch a W series than woman's football.

"Realistically it'll only be open to women who are already in motorsport - as one said today, she'd still race other categories, this would just be another one.

I suspect it depends on the tracks, exposure and sponsorship as to how useful it is in the long run.

But I'd rather watch a W series than woman's football. "

My personal view is that if it's a means to women into F1.. that's a good thing... no reason why women can't kick arse at f1... to get more sponsorship..

I it's a way to segregate... then it's wrong... I'll watch it though... no fldifferent to any motor racing..

By *allSteveMan  over a year ago

Poole

"Realistically it'll only be open to women who are already in motorsport - as one said today, she'd still race other categories, this would just be another one.

My personal view is that if it's a means to women into F1.. that's a good thing... no reason why women can't kick arse at f1... to get more sponsorship..

I it's a way to segregate... then it's wrong... I'll watch it though... no fldifferent to any motor racing.. "

Mentally and physically do you really think a woman could take all the demands of being involved in F1 racing. Im not racist and have been in racing before (Gt3) it's not just driving a car around a track

Poole

Meant sexist

By *actilemale4uMan  over a year ago

London

Woman arent physically strong enough to race f1 car. There was woman in the 70s who raced in couple f1 races. Without sucess.

"Meant sexist "

Yes.... women can.... just putting it out there..

By *hips n FursMan  over a year ago

Huddersfield

"Woman arent physically strong enough to race f1 car. There was woman in the 70s who raced in couple f1 races. Without sucess. "

And how many men race in f1 without success....plenty.

By *hips n FursMan  over a year ago

Huddersfield

"Meant sexist

Yes.... women can.... just putting it out there.. "

Here's a name for you..Ana Carrasco...The first female motorcycle world champion. She won the title last week.

Poole

"Meant sexist

Here's a name for you..Ana Carrasco...The first female motorcycle world champion. She won the title last week."

A motorcycle isn't an F1 race car lol. Sorry to be totally honest but it will never happen. In a sport totally dominated by men and sponsors have more to say on who drives the car than some of the team directors. It's politics just as much as it is a sport.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Woman arent physically strong enough to race f1 car. There was woman in the 70s who raced in couple f1 races. Without sucess.

------------------

And how many men race in f1 without success....plenty."

Generally all but one every year

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"

Here's a name for you..Ana Carrasco...The first female motorcycle world champion. She won the title last week.

-----------------

A motorcycle isn't an F1 race car lol. Sorry to be totally honest but it will never happen. In a sport totally dominated by men and sponsors have more to say on who drives the car than some of the team directors. It's politics just as much as it is a sport. "

There are several women F1 test drivers and there are women racing in other high-level motor racing series, including Indy-Car. I would argue that physically, Indy is very similar to F1.

Cal

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"The elite of motorsport for women will be the W series in 2019...

Will having a women only championship propell ladies more into motorsport? Or is it a way to segregate women? "

There was a woman’s championship years ago called formula woman.

The cars were Mazda RX8’s.

I think they stopped it at the time because a lot of the women struggled to get sponsored.

My old teammate Sarah Moore was the first woman to win a British championship in 2009.

She’s currently leading the britcar gt4 class championship.

She thinks it would be a good idea in the short term to have a women only championship.

Dave Richards who became head of msa at the beginning of the year.

He Wants everyone to be equal in motorsport.

I personally would watch a woman only championship.

A lot of the women are brilliant drivers too.

"Mentally and physically do you really think a woman could take all the demands of being involved in F1 racing. Im not racist and have been in racing before (Gt3) it's not just driving a car around a track"

Adrian Newey says yes

Susie Wolff managed OK

There's just been a female race winner in F3

...so maybe you weren't up to GT3, leaving you with a misleading reference point.

"A motorcycle isn't an F1 race car lol. Sorry to be totally honest but it will never happen. In a sport totally dominated by men and sponsors have more to say on who drives the car than some of the team directors. It's politics just as much as it is a sport. "

Hang on, your first argument was that they physically couldn't, but now you're saying they'd just get blocked - which would only be an option if they WERE good enough.

The idea that a sponsor couldn't get loads of additional free publicity by associating with the first female ANYTHING in the current climate...

There’s a few female drivers out our way who would do well during the school runs

"Meant sexist

Here's a name for you..Ana Carrasco...The first female motorcycle world champion. She won the title last week."

Brilliant....

"There’s a few female drivers out our way who would do well during the school runs "

Formula Milf. ... it's got legs...

By *alking DisasterWoman  over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

I it's a way to segregate... then it's wrong... I'll watch it though... no fldifferent to any motor racing.. "

I agree with this one.

As another poster said above, Indy cars are very similar to F1 (I Pippa Mann) and they were generally doing well in that series (although since Danny's death, I've only really watched the 500 each year). Although support for women in that series seems to have tailed off a bit since Ms Patrick left.

There have been female F1 drivers in the past:

Maria Teresa de Filippis - raced in three F1 races in 1958.

Lella Lombardi - qualified for 12 races in the 70's and scored 0.5 points for finishing 6th in 1975 Spanish GP (race was stopped after 29 laps after a lot of safety issues and 5 spectators being killed).

I wonder if the lack of women at the top of the sport is something to do with "protecting them". If they fall pregnant at any point during the season (no contraception is 100%), they won't be able to race. Which would be a huge inconvenience to the team.

I it's a way to segregate... then it's wrong... I'll watch it though... no fldifferent to any motor racing..

I agree with this one.

As another poster said above, Indy cars are very similar to F1 (I Pippa Mann) and they were generally doing well in that series (although since Danny's death, I've only really watched the 500 each year). Although support for women in that series seems to have tailed off a bit since Ms Patrick left.

There have been female F1 drivers in the past:

Maria Teresa de Filippis - raced in three F1 races in 1958.

Lella Lombardi - qualified for 12 races in the 70's and scored 0.5 points for finishing 6th in 1975 Spanish GP (race was stopped after 29 laps after a lot of safety issues and 5 spectators being killed).

I wonder if the lack of women at the top of the sport is something to do with "protecting them". If they fall pregnant at any point during the season (no contraception is 100%), they won't be able to race. Which would be a huge inconvenience to the team."

It would be a inconvenience but in the big championships like Indy, F1, WEC and nascar is that the teams have test drivers or support drivers so it wouldn’t be an issue as in the team championship table.

But they would have to write their contract in such a way so they can get straight back in the car when they want to. After having the baby.

» Add a new message to this topic