By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Happy what

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

"Happy what "

that was my first thought too

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

The Romans had Saturnalia for seven days from the 17th of December. Everyday convention was reversed. Men dressed as women, masters dressed as servants and vice versa. They decorated their houses with greenery, oil lamps, candles, held processions and gave presents.

"The Romans had Saturnalia for seven days from the 17th of December. Everyday convention was reversed. Men dressed as women, masters dressed as servants and vice versa. They decorated their houses with greenery, oil lamps, candles, held processions and gave presents.

"

Oh'er,,,,, count me in..... I like's the sound of this !!!!

"The Romans had Saturnalia for seven days from the 17th of December. Everyday convention was reversed. Men dressed as women, masters dressed as servants and vice versa. They decorated their houses with greenery, oil lamps, candles, held processions and gave presents.

Oh'er,,,,, count me in..... I like's the sound of this !!!! "

By Jupiter... me too...

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

New Ash Green still celebrate the Wassailing of the Tree on 12th night with a procession with blowing of horns and general noise.

During tree wassailing cider, is often poured on the roots of the finest tree and a wassail cake placed in the branches as an offering to the tree spirits, and elementals, who ensure fruitful harvest. Then the beating of kettles and firing of guns loaded with powder are used to drive away the witches and ghosts believed to reside in the crown of the apple tree.

Then the wassailing song sung to the tree (or the hive in the tree, in the case of bees!) as in --

Wassail, wassail all round the town;

The zider-cup's white and the zider's brown;

Our zider is made vrom good apple trees,

And now my vine vellows we'll drink if you please.

fascinating .. dated back to Saxon times but probably older.

Look out for wassailing trees in old towns and villages, they sometimes have a wall built around them to protect them from animal livestock.

» Add a new message to this topic