FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Am i being a skinflint?

Am i being a skinflint?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I'm thinking of buying my wife a watch for Yule, she's pointed some out - all retailing at several hundred pounds (fair enough).

Now i've found one on Groupon in her favourite colours (rose gold and purple) that retails at over £1200 (it's true, i checked the maker's website) but is on offer for £105. This appeals to my Yorkshire sensibilities but am i being tight if i buy it?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *onnie And Clyde9070Couple  over a year ago

Leeds

If your beloved isn't happy with the watch you could always cheer her up with your FAB profile.

"If your beloved isn't happy with the watch you could always cheer her up with your FAB profile."

Haha. Probably not a good idea.

By *orkie321bWoman  over a year ago

Nottingham

OP I would stick to buying her one of the ones she has pointed out that she likes. You might end up in the dog house if she doesn't like the cheap one!

By *tirluvMan  over a year ago

the right frame of mind -London

If it's only the cash you're worried about, get her a cheap imitation knock off -after all, it's not as though you are being sincere in any other way.

By *MP3Man  over a year ago

Between Scylla and Charybdis

"If your beloved isn't happy with the watch you could always cheer her up with your FAB profile."

"OP I would stick to buying her one of the ones she has pointed out that she likes. You might end up in the dog house if she doesn't like the cheap one!"

Maybe, but the point is it's not actually a cheap one though you do have to wonder why there's over 90% off.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Hard to comment on the thread and avoid the daggers being thrown

Seems very cheap I would wonder what was wrong with it

No way! Just buy it. You don't need to tell her how much it cost.

"No way! Just buy it. You don't need to tell her how much it cost."

My thinking exactly.

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

If it checks out as legit and you think she'll like it OP then don't see anything tight fisted in that - the money you saved you can spend on some other things to go with it

I once brought a DKNY watch which is meant to cost a few hundred pounds. However the website as selling them for £65.

All totally legit. All genuine. All came with original packaging and certificate of authenticity.

Designers sell their products cheaply when they're last season's fashion. Or if they have too much of the same stock. Doesn't make that item any less quality then when it was in season.

OP just buy it lol. Your wife will be pleased with what seems an even better watch then the one she first picked.

If it’s the same watch - why wouldn’t you buy it at a discount? It’s like those mugs who buy something like a football shirt in Harrods at a stupid price - just so they can say they bought it in Harrods - when they could get exactly the same shirt in Sports Direct at half the price?

By *ackDMissMorganCouple  over a year ago

Halifax

I'd be happy with that op ,if its a similar type to the one shes shown you.

Miss

What sort of person gets picky about gifts that someone buys them??? I personally love every gift my hubby buys regardless of how much it costs just because he's thought about it and chosen it himself. It's not a real gift if I have to give him a shopping list. And as to expense I prefer him not to spend a lot on me because it's money that we could jointly spend on something else.

"I once brought a DKNY watch which is meant to cost a few hundred pounds. However the website as selling them for £65.

All totally legit. All genuine. All came with original packaging and certificate of authenticity.

Designers sell their products cheaply when they're last season's fashion. Or if they have too much of the same stock. Doesn't make that item any less quality then when it was in season.

OP just buy it lol. Your wife will be pleased with what seems an even better watch then the one she first picked.

"

I know they've been accused of selling fakes in the past but most of those reports are several years old. I can't imagine they'd be allowed to continue trading if that was still the case. It seems genuine and comes with a guarantee of authenticity.

"I once brought a DKNY watch which is meant to cost a few hundred pounds. However the website as selling them for £65.

I know they've been accused of selling fakes in the past but most of those reports are several years old. I can't imagine they'd be allowed to continue trading if that was still the case. It seems genuine and comes with a guarantee of authenticity."

Ffs man up and buy the fucking thing!

I know they've been accused of selling fakes in the past but most of those reports are several years old. I can't imagine they'd be allowed to continue trading if that was still the case. It seems genuine and comes with a guarantee of authenticity.

Ffs man up and buy the fucking thing! "

Haha, i appreciate your succinct approach, noted and i will. A nice spa break with the cash i save too methinks.

By *ilkenWoman  over a year ago

Manchester

Its not what you spend its the effort that goes into choosing it that counts.

"Its not what you spend its the effort that goes into choosing it that counts. "

Good to know, i've been looking for ages.

"I'm thinking of buying my wife a watch for Yule, she's pointed some out - all retailing at several hundred pounds (fair enough).

Now i've found one on Groupon in her favourite colours (rose gold and purple) that retails at over £1200 (it's true, i checked the maker's website) but is on offer for £105. This appeals to my Yorkshire sensibilities but am i being tight if i buy it? "

I’d say that’s quite shrewd rather than being cheap. If it’s genuinely worth £1200 then you’re getting a good watch at a good price, nowt wrong with that.

Buy the one she likes, price is not the point with jewelery.

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I'd be wondering why it's so heavily discounted but she won't know and you'll saving loads. Get it!!

Check it out properly. A the way it works is that yes there’s a genuine website selling crap watches for over inflated prices. Groupon can then offer a genuine discount on those website prices and not fall foul of any laws because the only other place you can get the watch is on the website selling it for £££.

The chances are it’s a make you’ve never heard of and can’t find for sale anywhere else.

Just what I’ve found when I’ve looked at these deals before.

Unless of course it’s a make you’ve heard of and you know the discount is genuine then I’ll put my hands up and happily be wrong

By *hechapMan  over a year ago

Derry

I wouldnt waste too much "time" thinking about it.

She should be grateful for the gift.

Well unless you dont buy a watch and get her a cuckoo clock instead.

By *elvet RopeMan  over a year ago

by the big field

"

I’d say that’s quite shrewd rather than being cheap. If it’s genuinely worth £1200 then you’re getting a good watch at a good price, nowt wrong with that."

It may have a RRP if £1200- it won’t be ‘worth’ anywhere near that figure- if it’s on groupon then it will be a fashion brand (the alternative being the Chinese tatt nobody has ever heard of).

A lot of fashion brands are made by the Fossil group- not too bad at bulk watch manufacturing (I have one of their own brand ones- cost me £70) but you’re rarely buying quality or worth with fashion brands as opposed to a dedicated watch manufacturer.

Luckily the wife probably won’t know any of this- it’s just a watch to her- just don’t believe the shite they spout on RRP...it may still have a basic Miyota movement or similar in it

"

I’d say that’s quite shrewd rather than being cheap. If it’s genuinely worth £1200 then you’re getting a good watch at a good price, nowt wrong with that.

It may have a RRP if £1200- it won’t be ‘worth’ anywhere near that figure- if it’s on groupon then it will be a fashion brand (the alternative being the Chinese tatt nobody has ever heard of).

A lot of fashion brands are made by the Fossil group- not too bad at bulk watch manufacturing (I have one of their own brand ones- cost me £70) but you’re rarely buying quality or worth with fashion brands as opposed to a dedicated watch manufacturer.

Luckily the wife probably won’t know any of this- it’s just a watch to her- just don’t believe the shite they spout on RRP...it may still have a basic Miyota movement or similar in it"

I hear what you're saying and, yes, it's a brand i've never heard of but that doesn't mean anything. I don't know anything about watches and haven't owned one for the last 20 years.

I've checked the manufacturers website and the list price of £1205 is correct. I've also checked independent retailers selling the same watch. The cheapest i've found is $890 down from a list price of $1500.

I don't see there's much more i can do reassure myself of it's value. And, yes, i know i'm dithering.

By *layful cockMan  over a year ago

Clacton-on-sea

"

I agree and if anything this one you found will be from you not one she picked so you made more of an effort looking for one and the more you save on this present (which she will love) the more you can spend on other presents. I'd get it if i was you.

I agree and if anything this one you found will be from you not one she picked so you made more of an effort looking for one and the more you save on this present (which she will love) the more you can spend on other presents. I'd get it if i was you. "

Thanks. At the end of the day it's a beautiful piece and i think she'll love it. I guess that's all that matters.

By *bonynivoryCouple  over a year ago

market harborough

I'd be happy with either watch if my hubby bought it for me.

I appreciate the thought and effort he puts in. It's not about the cost.

Mrs

By *elvet RopeMan  over a year ago

by the big field

"

Luckily the wife probably won’t know any of this- it’s just a watch to her- just don’t believe the shite they spout on RRP...it may still have a basic Miyota movement or similar in it

I hear what you're saying and, yes, it's a brand i've never heard of but that doesn't mean anything. I don't know anything about watches and haven't owned one for the last 20 years.

I've checked the manufacturers website and the list price of £1205 is correct. I've also checked independent retailers selling the same watch. The cheapest i've found is $890 down from a list price of $1500.

I don't see there's much more i can do reassure myself of it's value. And, yes, i know i'm dithering. "

Oddly- women get a poor choice in the watch market- very little middle ground. It’s either fashion stuff or high end, not much in the £200-£1000 range compared to blokes.

Like I said- ignore its ‘value’ - the RRP is bollocks.

I would recommend Skagen watches round the £100-£200 mark- nice units, nice design. Got one of their titanium ones (not worn it much though- bit spoilt for choice )

If it’s the same watch yeah if not definitely not!

Is she more bothered about the watch or the price tag?

I wouldn't be paying even £100 for a watch so I don't think you're a skinflint OP!

Is it the Empress Beatrice watch?

By *layful cockMan  over a year ago

Clacton-on-sea

"If it’s the same watch yeah if not definitely not! "

Hello again long legs. X

By *ust PeachyWoman  over a year ago

Prestonish

"If it's only the cash you're worried about, get her a cheap imitation knock off -after all, it's not as though you are being sincere in any other way."

Funny - when women who are playing away start threads they very rarely seem to get any snide remarks!

"Is it the Empress Beatrice watch?"

Yes, how did you guess?

"If it's only the cash you're worried about, get her a cheap imitation knock off -after all, it's not as though you are being sincere in any other way.

Funny - when women who are playing away start threads they very rarely seem to get any snide remarks! "

Just ignore it, i do. If this was a post asking whether it's ok to be on here while you're married then that might add gravity to such comments.

As it is, this is a post asking about whether something seems to be a good deal or not (i can be remarkably gullible and naive at times) and i value your collective opinions.

You may as well get it for her the divorce is going to cost you more when she finds out your on fab

"Is it the Empress Beatrice watch?

Yes, how did you guess?"

Not hard to find

Is it worth £1200, not a chance. Looks like one of many fashion brands that pop up all the time. £ 105 is about right. If it's what she likes buy it.

Personally I'd spend a bit more and get something else.

Tissot make solid watches in a decent price bracket £200-300.

Bulova make solid watches at that price too

https://www.fhinds.co.uk/watches/ladies-watches/Bulova-97P132-Rose-Gold-Plated-Diamond-Set-Bracelet-Watch-W83117?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product+search&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrLbM6Ljt3QIVihDTCh2Vcg2eEAkYASABEgIukPD_BwE

By *egs11ABCWoman  over a year ago

Aberdeen

"OP I would stick to buying her one of the ones she has pointed out that she likes. You might end up in the dog house if she doesn't like the cheap one!

Maybe, but the point is it's not actually a cheap one though you do have to wonder why there's over 90% off."

Use groupon all the time..totally genuine. How they manage it I don't know but it is the genuine articles x

Yes, how did you guess?

Not hard to find

Is it worth £1200, not a chance. Looks like one of many fashion brands that pop up all the time. £ 105 is about right. If it's what she likes buy it.

https://www.fhinds.co.uk/watches/ladies-watches/Bulova-97P132-Rose-Gold-Plated-Diamond-Set-Bracelet-Watch-W83117?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product+search&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrLbM6Ljt3QIVihDTCh2Vcg2eEAkYASABEgIukPD_BwE"

Thanks for the info. Now it looks like i'm going to have to start my search all over again.

Yes, how did you guess?

Not hard to find

https://www.fhinds.co.uk/watches/ladies-watches/Bulova-97P132-Rose-Gold-Plated-Diamond-Set-Bracelet-Watch-W83117?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product+search&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrLbM6Ljt3QIVihDTCh2Vcg2eEAkYASABEgIukPD_BwE

Thanks for the info. Now it looks like i'm going to have to start my search all over again. "

You don't have to. For £105 that watch is a good buy, if that's what she likes in terms of colour and style buy it.

It will be a standard Japanese movement which are solid in terms of reliability and time keeping.

"You may as well get it for her the divorce is going to cost you more when she finds out your on fab "

Yawn!

There's 3 things to consider. Will she like it? Will she be pissued off if she finds out the real price? Will you spend the saving over what I assume she is expecting you to pay on her anyway?

And if the answer to the last one is no and she's expectig you to spend hundreds then I suspect that is where your dilemma really is.

"There's 3 things to consider. Will she like it? Will she be pissued off if she finds out the real price? Will you spend the saving over what I assume she is expecting you to pay on her anyway?

And if the answer to the last one is no and she's expectig you to spend hundreds then I suspect that is where your dilemma really is.

"

Will she like it? I think she'll love it.

Will she be pissed off at the real price? I think she'll be impressed at the saving, she likes a bargain just as much as i do.

As for the third point, i'll use the saving to get something else as well. A relaxing spa break's always a winner.

By *andWCoupleCouple  over a year ago

Luton

But in reply to the OP, no I don't think you're being tight, just frugal

By *iger4uWoman  over a year ago

In my happy place

Buy one of the ones she has chosen...

"I'm thinking of buying my wife a watch for Yule, she's pointed some out - all retailing at several hundred pounds (fair enough).

Now i've found one on Groupon in her favourite colours (rose gold and purple) that retails at over £1200 (it's true, i checked the maker's website) but is on offer for £105. This appeals to my Yorkshire sensibilities but am i being tight if i buy it? "

Sounds like one of those fake expensive watch companies that have never sold at that price though. Find it online for sale and user reviews at that price.bet you don't

» Add a new message to this topic