FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Christopher Hitchens in quotes The writer, polemicist and devout atheist Christopher Hitchens was kn

Christopher Hitchens in quotes The writer, polemicist and devout atheist Christopher Hitchens was kn

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ap Adge OP   Man  over a year ago

Wirral

Christopher Hitchens in quotes

The writer, polemicist and devout atheist Christopher Hitchens was known for his confrontational style of debate. Here we list some of his more controversial outbursts.I don't think the war in Afghanistan was ruthlessly enough waged.”

“Thus, though I dislike to differ with such a great man, Voltaire was simply ludicrous when he said that if god did not exist it would be necessary to invent him. The human invention of god is the problem to begin with.”

“Will an Iraq war make our Al Qaeda problem worse? Not likely.”

“The death toll is not nearly high enough... too many [jihadists] have escaped.”

“Islam makes very large claims for itself. In its art, there is a prejudice against representing the human form at all. The prohibition on picturing the prophet – who was only another male mammal – is apparently absolute. So is the prohibition on pork or alcohol or, in some Muslim societies, music or dancing. Very well then, let a good Muslim abstain rigorously from all these. But if he claims the right to make me abstain as well, he offers the clearest possible warning and proof of an aggressive intent.”

"The Bible may, indeed does, contain a warrant for trafficking in humans, for ethnic cleansing, for slavery, for bride-price, and for indiscriminate massacre, but we are not bound by any of it because it was put together by crude, uncultured human mammals."

“Religious exhortation and telling people, telling children, that if they don’t do the right thing, they’ll go to terrifying punishments or unbelievable rewards, that’s making a living out of lying to children. That’s what the priesthood do. And if all they did was lie to the children, it would be bad enough. But they rape them and torture them and then hope we’ll call it ‘abuse’.”

“Religion is man-made. Even the men who made it cannot agree on what their prophets or redeemers or gurus actually said or did.”

“Everything about Christianity is contained in the pathetic image of 'the flock.”

“Judaism has some advantages over Christianity in that, for example, it does not proselytise — except among Jews — and it does not make the cretinous mistake of saying that the Messiah has already made his appearance. However, along with Islam and Christianity, it does insist that some turgid and contradictory and sometimes evil and mad texts, obviously written by fairly unexceptional humans, are in fact the word of god. I think that the indispensable condition of any intellectual liberty is the realisation that there is no such thing.”

“Faith is the surrender of the mind; it's the surrender of reason, it's the surrender of the only thing that makes us different from other mammals. It's our need to believe, and to surrender our skepticism and our reason, our yearning to discard that and put all our trust or faith in someone or something, that is the sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith must be the most overrated.”

“The four most over-rated things in life are champagne, lobster, anal sex and picnics.”

“[O]wners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are god.

Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are gods.”

Share:

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"

Christopher Hitchens qoute !

“The four most over-rated things in life are champagne, lobster, anal sex and picnics.”

"

Clearly this Christopher Hitchens bloke is off his fuk'in rocker !!!!

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

He was opposed to Tyrany in all forms as he saw it..

be that tyrany from men, Stalin, Pol pot, Hitler etc ..

or religion's..

like or loathe him but could never ignore him..

By *obbytupperMan  over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

I love the comparisons of cats and dogs, spot on!

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"I love the comparisons of cats and dogs, spot on! "

except he was wrong on that one..lol

I found myself nodding my head and agreeing while reading that opening post.

We have lost an incredibly talented journalist (certainly one of the best of his generation).

I did not agree with some of what he stood for, his intelectual rigour demanded respect.

RIP

By *eakcoupleCouple  over a year ago

peak district

We need a few more who'll tell it like it is, unlike the a*se-licking, lickspittle journalists and politicians we're cursed with today. Political correctness has a lot to answer for!

By *obletonMan  over a year ago

THE STICKS

I always found dawkins to be really preachy and condescending even though I agreed with a lot of what he said, but conversely altho I didn't agree with everything hitchens had to say I loved the way he said it - his Passion, his wit, and his bile.

The stuff he had to say about that evil bible thumping motherfucker jerry Falwell when he died (the American preacher who said that 911 was Americas punishment from god for tolerating gays) was absolutely priceless, especially as everyone else was lining up to try and say nice things about him.

Well worth youtubing that one.

By *obletonMan  over a year ago

THE STICKS

Oh yeah - and he was definitely wrong about bumsex

"We have lost an incredibly talented journalist (certainly one of the best of his generation).

I did not agree with some of what he stood for, his intelectual rigour demanded respect.

RIP"

I have to say he did stand out from the rest ... and one thing he did was make you think . RIP

To listen to him speak would make some people cringe, but if those people read his views in their own way, they would probably nod in agreement.

He was 62 and I thought the answer was 42

RIP and may he now obtain enlightenment.

» Add a new message to this topic