FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Drowning In Plastic

Drowning In Plastic

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ce Winger OP   Man  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

On BBC 1 now, it's criminal how people dispose of plastics and the effect they have on the environment

I hope this program educates some people to dispose of non bio degradable products in the future.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Even better to find every possible way not to use them

I have just seen it that poor chick with all that plastics in its stomach

the human race.

lets hope we never inhabit another planet.

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

Absolutely shocking

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Even better to find every possible way not to use them"

I generally try to avoid buying pre packaged stuff, ie I buy all ma fruit & veg off the market and use paper bags. Even the meat that I buy off ma butcher, I tell him to use only 1 bag instead of tripple wrapping it like some do.

"Even better to find every possible way not to use them

I generally try to avoid buying pre packaged stuff, ie I buy all ma fruit & veg off the market and use paper bags. Even the meat that I buy off ma butcher, I tell him to use only 1 bag instead of tripple wrapping it like some do. "

By *orkiejoancd 75TV/TS  over a year ago

Brighouse

It staeted with blue planet and now this program, lets hope companies try and do something about it,ie different packaging and also that we try and help the enviroment to with proper recycling

Jonas Salk (inventor of the Polio vaccine) wrote the following in his seminal book The New Reality

“We are at a completely unique moment in human history.

Population growth has been accelerating for centuries but that will not continue. Growth is now slowing and will, if current projections are accurate, level off by the end of the century

At this transition point in population growth, we are also at a point of change in human values. We are shifting from a time of limitless expansion, unrestricted use of resources, competition and independence to a new era of awareness of limits, sustainability, cooperation and interdependence.

We are at the point of inflection between those periods, and we are emerging into a new reality in which our relationship to each other and to the planet as a whole will be much different from what it has been.

As this shift occurs, we can expect tension and conflict, which we are seeing in every corner of our world. If we are to survive the current period of crisis, we will have to facilitate the change in values.

If we cling to the older values too long, we face grave consequences for our species and for the planet.

However, If we do make the transition, we will enter an era where there are, worldwide, greater levels of human health and satisfaction than ever before.”

Jonas Salk developed the polio vaccine in the early 1950's. He went on to found the Salk Institute for Biological Studies. In the last third of his life he wrote extensively about his ideas for an evolutionary philosophy based on natural principles.

Interesting that for biological organisms that when they reach the limits of growth they normally kill themselves off with their own pollution. But as conscious human beings we have an advantage and a disadvantage - our brains are capable of reversing that damage if we all work together towards common aims or fragmented we can destroy ourselves faster.

The book was written in 1981

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Jonas Salk (inventor of the Polio vaccine) wrote the following in his seminal book The New Reality

Population growth has been accelerating for centuries but that will not continue. Growth is now slowing and will, if current projections are accurate, level off by the end of the century

At this transition point in population growth, we are also at a point of change in human values. We are shifting from a time of limitless expansion, unrestricted use of resources, competition and independence to a new era of awareness of limits, sustainability, cooperation and interdependence.

We are at the point of inflection between those periods, and we are emerging into a new reality in which our relationship to each other and to the planet as a whole will be much different from what it has been.

As this shift occurs, we can expect tension and conflict, which we are seeing in every corner of our world. If we are to survive the current period of crisis, we will have to facilitate the change in values.

If we cling to the older values too long, we face grave consequences for our species and for the planet.

However, If we do make the transition, we will enter an era where there are, worldwide, greater levels of human health and satisfaction than ever before.”

Jonas Salk developed the polio vaccine in the early 1950's. He went on to found the Salk Institute for Biological Studies. In the last third of his life he wrote extensively about his ideas for an evolutionary philosophy based on natural principles.

Interesting that for biological organisms that when they reach the limits of growth they normally kill themselves off with their own pollution. But as conscious human beings we have an advantage and a disadvantage - our brains are capable of reversing that damage if we all work together towards common aims or fragmented we can destroy ourselves faster."

Nice post Doc, and too true

We need an invasion of plastic eating Zombies

"Jonas Salk (inventor of the Polio vaccine) wrote the following in his seminal book The New Reality

Interesting that for biological organisms that when they reach the limits of growth they normally kill themselves off with their own pollution. But as conscious human beings we have an advantage and a disadvantage - our brains are capable of reversing that damage if we all work together towards common aims or fragmented we can destroy ourselves faster.

We need an invasion of plastic eating Zombies "

We need an invasion of plastic eating Zombies "

Hadn't they found/invented a plastic eating bacteria. Useful in theory but I bet there would be some horror movie ending to the whole experiment.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"We need an invasion of plastic eating Zombies

Hadn't they found/invented a plastic eating bacteria. Useful in theory but I bet there would be some horror movie ending to the whole experiment. "

There are some plastics that are recyclable, but there are many others that generally cost too much for it to be financially viable.

I hope that we have recognised the problem before it gets too far out of hand.

I've got it on now, it certainly makes you think

By *ightyandLeftyCouple  over a year ago

Funtown

In the 21st Century there is no need for non recyclable or repurposable plastics.

We already have the materials and ability to make this happen.

The WORLD needs to sit up and start taking notice and action!

I was very ignorant to the effects of throwing away plastic until I saw Blue Planet 2.

Now I hate buying the stuff and reuse plastic water bottles (which I only buy when I'm on the road) as much as possible.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"I was very ignorant to the effects of throwing away plastic until I saw Blue Planet 2.

Now I hate buying the stuff and reuse plastic water bottles (which I only buy when I'm on the road) as much as possible."

I worked on the refurbishment of Derby Council House for nearly a year, it must have cost many millions of pounds for the entire project. They even reroofed the entire building without putting any solar panels on it, and there is no facility to refill your bottles with water, you have to go and buy a new one from the canteen ffs

I hate the use of plastics in packaging it really annoys me. I can’t see why we can’t use cardboard or a similar recyclable alternative. I recycle everything in my house from food waste to packaging

It's actually pretty disgusting

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

let's ban useless plastic like mylar based glitter and micro beads.

What is going to replace plastic? Will remelting it really help sort out our potholes (Google it!)?

"let's ban useless plastic like mylar based glitter and micro beads.

What is going to replace plastic? Will remelting it really help sort out our potholes (Google it!)?"

Oxo-degradable plastics are a more realistic way forward (still not ideal) as an alternative to bio based plastics.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"I hate the use of plastics in packaging it really annoys me. I can’t see why we can’t use cardboard or a similar recyclable alternative. I recycle everything in my house from food waste to packaging "

Am watching The Secret Of Landfill now on BBC 4, some of the things that you are encouraged to separate to be recycled, end up in landfill anyway

"I hate the use of plastics in packaging it really annoys me. I can’t see why we can’t use cardboard or a similar recyclable alternative. I recycle everything in my house from food waste to packaging

Am watching The Secret Of Landfill now on BBC 4, some of the things that you are encouraged to separate to be recycled, end up in landfill anyway "

Yep, and it’s a load of shit about separating certain things and washing etc.

By *rincessvenusCouple  over a year ago

Hull

were all to blame we all shop in supermarkets an d not small high st shops

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"were all to blame we all shop in supermarkets an d not small high st shops"

The supermarkets need to be forced to change their practices.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"were all to blame we all shop in supermarkets an d not small high st shops"

That's part of the problem I think. High St. shops are being driven out of business by supermarket chains who don't give a damn and are only after profit rather than protecting the environment.

Yeah charge 5p for a plastic bag, but how much more is actually wrapped in it when there's no need to?

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"I was very ignorant to the effects of throwing away plastic until I saw Blue Planet 2.

Now I hate buying the stuff and reuse plastic water bottles (which I only buy when I'm on the road) as much as possible.

I worked on the refurbishment of Derby Council House for nearly a year, it must have cost many millions of pounds for the entire project. They even reroofed the entire building without putting any solar panels on it, and there is no facility to refill your bottles with water, you have to go and buy a new one from the canteen ffs "

There's no potable water source in the whole building? Not sure that's legal.

By *itty9899Man  over a year ago

Craggy Island

"the human race.

lets hope we never inhabit another planet."

You won't

"the human race.

You won't "

Not in our next life time even. I agree

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I worked on the refurbishment of Derby Council House for nearly a year, it must have cost many millions of pounds for the entire project. They even reroofed the entire building without putting any solar panels on it, and there is no facility to refill your bottles with water, you have to go and buy a new one from the canteen ffs

There's no potable water source in the whole building? Not sure that's legal. "

Well you can get water out of the toilet hand basins, but who wants to drink luke warm water? It wouldn't have cost them too much more just to have a tap where anyone has access to some cold running tap water, but that's Derby City Council for you I suppose

The little chick with all that plastic in his stomach really shocked me!

I do try my best to reuse plastic bottles as I drink a lot of sugar free flavoured water so can go through them a lot. I give them to my dad to use to water his plants.

More needs to be done though.

I don’t see the need for us to buy water in bottles. When we pay so much for our water rates. I am also guilty of this occasionally but I do try to fill my water bottle daily. It’s bizarre why so many people buy bottled water when it’s in no way different to tap water.

By *riefcase_WankerMan  over a year ago

Milton Keynes

I was telling someone about the huge patch of rubbish floating around the Pacific ocean...googled it to show them.

Apparently estimates in size are between 700,000 sq km (the size of Texas) to 15,000,000 sq km (the size of Russia)

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

Such a saddening look at the world around us and the consequences we have on it and eventually ourselves. The presenter I found a little useless as there was no depth of thought. She seemed too stunned to dive anything more than a brief report on what she was seeing.

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

*give

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Such a tragic mess we've made of this world! I felt so sad as well as sickened

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Such a saddening look at the world around us and the consequences we have on it and eventually ourselves. The presenter I found a little useless as there was no depth of thought. She seemed too stunned to dive anything more than a brief report on what she was seeing. "

She was probably a little overwhelmed by the scale of what is actually happening to our Planet, as indeed I would be.

"Such a saddening look at the world around us and the consequences we have on it and eventually ourselves. The presenter I found a little useless as there was no depth of thought. She seemed too stunned to dive anything more than a brief report on what she was seeing.

She was probably a little overwhelmed by the scale of what is actually happening to our Planet, as indeed I would be. "

Liz Bonnin, the presenter in question, is an accredited graduate biochemist and hold as masters in wildlife biology

Being a science presenter and a popular science author and co-author for books and magazines, much of the information is not new to her hence the report card like run off. Personally I'm surprised she teared up.

...Up on the Downs

"Such a saddening look at the world around us and the consequences we have on it and eventually ourselves. The presenter I found a little useless as there was no depth of thought. She seemed too stunned to dive anything more than a brief report on what she was seeing.

She was probably a little overwhelmed by the scale of what is actually happening to our Planet, as indeed I would be.

Liz Bonnin, the presenter in question, is an accredited graduate biochemist and hold as masters in wildlife biology

Being a science presenter and a popular science author and co-author for books and magazines, much of the information is not new to her hence the report card like run off. Personally I'm surprised she teared up. "

I defy anyone not to when faced with a fatally lacerated seal pup for the first time.

By *elvet RopeMan  over a year ago

by the big field

I went diving in Indonesia about two years ago, just off shore was pretty disgusting (this is supposed to be a paradise).

By last year, it looked like it had almost doubled in visible quantity in some of the footage from the same dive spots- it won't be long before tourism to the area pretty much stops as nobody wants to swim in a shit tip. only when the tourist dollars drop to a certain level will something start getting done about keeping the rubbish out of the environment there.

We're not much better here- for all the recycling schemes and environmental based bollocks spouted in Westminster, we now have the threat of Fracking that the shower of shite in charge seem to be supporting.

Today, four people have been jailed for protesting against it... welcome to our wonderful democracy

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Being a science presenter and a popular science author and co-author for books and magazines, much of the information is not new to her hence the report card like run off. Personally I'm surprised she teared up.

I defy anyone not to when faced with a fatally lacerated seal pup for the first time. "

Exactly, it's probably not the kind of that she nor any of us encounters on a daily basis. This is a worldwide problem, even though some countries are doing their best to alleviate it escalating, the problem will become much worse in the meantime unfortunately, which is quite a worry.

People just dump their rubbish on the beaches. I can't see a solution.

evesham

There's no potable water source in the whole building? Not sure that's legal.

Well you can get water out of the toilet hand basins, but who wants to drink luke warm water? It wouldn't have cost them too much more just to have a tap where anyone has access to some cold running tap water, but that's Derby City Council for you I suppose "

They have to provide drinking water, by law.

Anyway that not really the point of this thread is it.

A couple of café's near me have become refill places where you can take your bottles to be filled with drinking water free of charge, reducing the need to buy new plastic bottles.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"People just dump their rubbish on the beaches. I can't see a solution. "

It's not just the beaches though, throughout the world this happens in rivers as well.

By *r TriomanMan  over a year ago

Chippenham Malmesbury area

Saw an American film on TV where a character dropped some litter, the lead character told them to pick it up, telling them:

" you're not British"

Says a lot!

By *uttyjonnMan  over a year ago

cheshire

We can do our bit, why not start with not buying plastic bottles. Stop buying , sprite and bottled water. This could help with obesity issues too

The government then need to tax goods using plastics but this is big business so they won't

cheshire

Blimey is c0k@ c0ler automatically removed from posts here?

And Coca-Cola

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"They have to provide drinking water, by law.

Anyway that not really the point of this thread is it.

A couple of café's near me have become refill places where you can take your bottles to be filled with drinking water free of charge, reducing the need to buy new plastic bottles. "

I didn't know that was the Law, but I remember when there were drinking fountains at various places in town, what ever happened to them?

"the human race.

lets hope we never inhabit another planet."

Hit the nail straight on the head there fella

This just highlights one of the problems we are facing throughout the world. If we look at plastic as this program did / does I believe the big problem is, and this was picked up on towards the end of the program, micro plastics. This is a huge problem and is becoming full circle by ending up back in the food we eat.

If anyone interested in more research don’t feed the fish.

When are we going to learn natural is best.

By *uckslut and MCouple  over a year ago

Poole

I find it discussting when unpacking my weekly food shop. The amont of "extra" packing that goes straight in the bin / recycling.

My biggest pet hate is childrens toys. The amont of packing that "holds" the toy in place in the box. Don't get me started on the LOL doll range.

Even fruit/veg from super markets comes pre packed in plastic.

DISGUSTING. We as consumers need to enforce change!

evesham

"I find it discussting when unpacking my weekly food shop. The amont of "extra" packing that goes straight in the bin / recycling.

My biggest pet hate is childrens toys. The amont of packing that "holds" the toy in place in the box. Don't get me started on the LOL doll range.

Even fruit/veg from super markets comes pre packed in plastic.

DISGUSTING. We as consumers need to enforce change!"

Not all of it does. Thees mot's of fruit and veg that is loose for you to choose

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"We can do our bit, why not start with not buying plastic bottles. Stop buying , sprite and bottled water. This could help with obesity issues too

The government then need to tax goods using plastics but this is big business so they won't "

You have almost hit the nail on the head there, although obesity has absolutely nothing at all to do with this thread, so I agree that Governments throughout the world should come together and introduce some kind of solution before it gets out of hand

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"the human race.

Hit the nail straight on the head there fella "

Yeah, there's enough space junk left floating round our planet already

The programme on landfill on bbc4 was really interesting too if anyone saw it.

"On BBC 1 now, it's criminal how people dispose of plastics and the effect they have on the environment

I hope this program educates some people to dispose of non bio degradable products in the future. "

'They' could just stop making these plastics. 'They' could stop wrapping and packaging everything in so much plastic,that could be a better solution than putting things in the correct bin with no idea what happens to it after that.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"The programme on landfill on bbc4 was really interesting too if anyone saw it."

If you look back up the thread I watched it as well. It was interesting to say the least.

"On BBC 1 now, it's criminal how people dispose of plastics and the effect they have on the environment

I hope this program educates some people to dispose of non bio degradable products in the future.

'They' could just stop making these plastics. 'They' could stop wrapping and packaging everything in so much plastic,that could be a better solution than putting things in the correct bin with no idea what happens to it after that.

"

Great idea what alternative packaging should they use?

evesham

Great idea what alternative packaging should they use?"

Paper, nothing, glass. There are quite a few innovations out there that biodegrade much better than plastic. Plant based packaging.

Paper, nothing, glass. There are quite a few innovations out there that biodegrade much better than plastic. Plant based packaging. "

Unfortunately paper you can't freeze effectively, glass has one of the highest carbon footprints about so which plant based packaging would work?

"The programme on landfill on bbc4 was really interesting too if anyone saw it.

If you look back up the thread I watched it as well. It was interesting to say the least. "

All those extra bacteria

Having visited a few waste transfer stations and power stations,it is absolutely staggering to see just how much waste material (of various types) goes into providing electricity.Some of that power is going to be used in factories which manufacture that plastic packaging.A vicious circle really but,what alternatives are there?

We can exploit the earth for coal,gas and oil but we all know the downsides of that,just as we know that nuclear power has certain disadvantages.Wind and wave power generation might seem to be the lesser evil but tell that to people living near a wind farm.

One possible solution (a fast expanding industry in fact) is biomass fuel.

This is basically growing huge forests and pulling up the wood to burn in power stations,not a perfect solution by any means but,at least we get a forest,temporarily and there is less reliance on burning household waste,one less justification for the manufacturers to keep making so much of this plastic.

Paper, nothing, glass. There are quite a few innovations out there that biodegrade much better than plastic. Plant based packaging.

Unfortunately paper you can't freeze effectively, glass has one of the highest carbon footprints about so which plant based packaging would work? "

How about a resurgence in the popularity of Tupperware? You can freeze things in those handy boxes and wash them out for 're use. A bit old fasioned maybe but surely better than a mountain of cling film.

How about a nice wicker shopping basket instead of plastic bags?

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Great idea what alternative packaging should they use?"

Paper or anything that's bio degradable, but not something that will end up in rivers, canals and eventually the oceans killing off our eco system in the long term

evesham

Unfortunately paper you can't freeze effectively, glass has one of the highest carbon footprints about so which plant based packaging would work? "

I don't know I've just seen things on Facebook about packaging made from plants

How does paper not freeze effectively? Lots of frozen good are sold in cardboard boxes.

Unfortunately paper you can't freeze effectively, glass has one of the highest carbon footprints about so which plant based packaging would work?

How about a resurgence in the popularity of Tupperware? You can freeze things in those handy boxes and wash them out for 're use. A bit old fasioned maybe but surely better than a mountain of cling film.

How about a nice wicker shopping basket instead of plastic bags?"

Tupperware is plastic right? It also is not biodegradable as far as I know as they have dug it up in landfills to see what has not degraded. I like the wicker shopping basket idea but then they won't be cheep and the carbon footprint for transporting them is going to be huge compared to plastic bags and I cn't see people brining yoghurt, soup etc home from the supermarket.

How does paper not freeze effectively? Lots of frozen good are sold in cardboard boxes. "

They are plastic coated cardboard boxes although you find some pizza ones arn't but them the pizza is shrink wrapped inside in plastic again. Paper is not impervious to liquid so unless coated goes soggy in the freezer.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

How does paper not freeze effectively? Lots of frozen good are sold in cardboard boxes.

They are plastic coated cardboard boxes although you find some pizza ones arn't but them the pizza is shrink wrapped inside in plastic again. Paper is not impervious to liquid so unless coated goes soggy in the freezer. "

Things like that just get incinerated anyway, the point of the original OP was to highlight the amount of plastic that ends up in the rivers and seas around the World killing our natural resources and what we are we trying to do to protect them from our blindness in the future.

They are plastic coated cardboard boxes although you find some pizza ones arn't but them the pizza is shrink wrapped inside in plastic again. Paper is not impervious to liquid so unless coated goes soggy in the freezer.

Things like that just get incinerated anyway, the point of the original OP was to highlight the amount of plastic that ends up in the rivers and seas around the World killing our natural resources and what we are we trying to do to protect them from our blindness in the future."

Some of it does end up going to incinerators but not the black plastic food containers, not all the pots that people put in the normal bins I was pointing out that a lot of the alternatives people come up with are not viable or wouldn't work both on health and hygiene laws and making sure food dosn't perish.

Incinerating plastics creates lots of CO2 so its not the cure. Its all good and well pointing out about what is happening to the environment but standing and pointing dosn't stop the problem only viable alternatives may.

"We can do our bit, why not start with not buying plastic bottles. Stop buying , sprite and bottled water. This could help with obesity issues too

The government then need to tax goods using plastics but this is big business so they won't

You have almost hit the nail on the head there, although obesity has absolutely nothing at all to do with this thread, so I agree that Governments throughout the world should come together and introduce some kind of solution before it gets out of hand "

Its already out of hand. My daughter was trying to convince people 10 years ago that there were huge problems with waste and plastic.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Things like that just get incinerated anyway, the point of the original OP was to highlight the amount of plastic that ends up in the rivers and seas around the World killing our natural resources and what we are we trying to do to protect them from our blindness in the future.

Some of it does end up going to incinerators but not the black plastic food containers, not all the pots that people put in the normal bins I was pointing out that a lot of the alternatives people come up with are not viable or wouldn't work both on health and hygiene laws and making sure food dosn't perish.

Incinerating plastics creates lots of CO2 so its not the cure. Its all good and well pointing out about what is happening to the environment but standing and pointing dosn't stop the problem only viable alternatives may. "

I'm not standing and pointing, I was purely pointing out that too many plastic products end up in the oceans which are killing many thousands of innocent victims. Did you actually watch the program last night?

Incinerating plastics creates lots of CO2 so its not the cure. Its all good and well pointing out about what is happening to the environment but standing and pointing dosn't stop the problem only viable alternatives may.

I'm not standing and pointing, I was purely pointing out that too many plastic products end up in the oceans which are killing many thousands of innocent victims. Did you actually watch the program last night? "

Did I watch the program? Do you understand the complex problems of hydrocarbons?

Pointing the finger without a viable solution is not solving the problem sadly.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Did you actually watch the program last night?

Did I watch the program? Do you understand the complex problems of hydrocarbons?

Pointing the finger without a viable solution is not solving the problem sadly. "

Who am I Jeremy Paxman? Did you actually watch the program last night?

Who am I Jeremy Paxman? Did you actually watch the program last night?"

Sweetie I understand a lot more about the issues and the complexities involved and you harking on about if I did or didn't watch the program or the previous 10 documentaries aired on the same subject over the last few years. Less aggregation please its not necessity. So do you have a viable solution to the issue rather than just finger pointing?

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Sweetie I understand a lot more about the issues and the complexities involved and you harking on about if I did or didn't watch the program or the previous 10 documentaries aired on the same subject over the last few years. Less aggregation please its not necessity. So do you have a viable solution to the issue rather than just finger pointing?"

Did you actually watch the program?

And by the way I am nobody's "sweetie"

Sweetie I understand a lot more about the issues and the complexities involved and you harking on about if I did or didn't watch the program or the previous 10 documentaries aired on the same subject over the last few years. Less aggregation please its not necessity. So do you have a viable solution to the issue rather than just finger pointing?

And by the way I am nobody's "sweetie" "

Did you read what I put? Clearly not!

What is going to replace plastic? Will remelting it really help sort out our potholes (Google it!)?

Oxo-degradable plastics are a more realistic way forward (still not ideal) as an alternative to bio based plastics. "

Yeah but if we keep pouring oxo into the sea it’ll just turn to gravy after a while. That’s no good at all, back to the drawing board eh

Oxo-degradable plastics are a more realistic way forward (still not ideal) as an alternative to bio based plastics.

Yeah but if we keep pouring oxo into the sea it’ll just turn to gravy after a while. That’s no good at all, back to the drawing board eh "

Lol not that sort of oxo its a polymer that contains metal salts that accelerate biodegradation.

"Even better to find every possible way not to use them"

Totally agree with this. For years and years I've not used plastic bags, don't by drink in plastic bottles unless there is no other choice...And yes there's more choice than one initially thinks. Public opinion can change industry and if people stopped buying products wrapped in plastic then industry would soon change.

A few of our modern illnesses are a direct cause from using plastics.

cheshire

It wouldnt take much for us to do our own little bit (not preaching btw) just common sense, buy things with less packing, refills etc make comments of manufacturers websites, sign online petitions. I am not daft enough to think we will change an 'industry' but if we teach our children to think like this then maybe they can take it forward

Yeah but if we keep pouring oxo into the sea it’ll just turn to gravy after a while. That’s no good at all, back to the drawing board eh

Lol not that sort of oxo its a polymer that contains metal salts that accelerate biodegradation. "

Hmmm I’m not a fan of metallic gravy, sounds awful. Why can’t they just leave things alone, oxo has had the same recipe for about 70 years and now they have to ruin it with metal salt, is nothing sacred any more

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Did you read what I put? Clearly not! "

You a clearly some kind of politititan that can't answer either yes or no to a simple question, but instead decides to come out with their own burble

You a clearly some kind of politititan that can't answer either yes or no to a simple question, but instead decides to come out with their own burble "

Hardly! You clearly haven't a solution as you go on and on about watching 1 specific tv program and your repetition is just boring. I watched it as I have seen another half a dozen on it some accurate some inaccurate due to different agendas.

Now answer my question though you seem unable to. Whats your solution to the issue?

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

You a clearly some kind of politititan that can't answer either yes or no to a simple question, but instead decides to come out with their own burble

Hardly! You clearly haven't a solution as you go on and on about watching 1 specific tv program and your repetition is just boring. I watched it as I have seen another half a dozen on it some accurate some inaccurate due to different agendas.

Now answer my question though you seem unable to. Whats your solution to the issue?"

Hallelujah, you have at last answered my question

Well I don't have any long term solutions cos I used to work on building sites, and not in physics laboratories, but the original post was about raising awareness as to how we can stop what plastics we already have doing any more harm to the environment

Now answer my question though you seem unable to. Whats your solution to the issue?"

The solution is obvious, stop making the bloody stuff. Plastic was only invented not all that long ago and the world functioned perfectly well without it. There’s no point taxing it, that’s just a money spinner and solves nothing. Just ban the production and use of it. The world will find an alternative.

Now answer my question though you seem unable to. Whats your solution to the issue?

Well I don't have any long term solutions cos I used to work on building sites, and not in physics laboratories, but the original post was about raising awareness as to how we can stop what plastics we already have doing any more harm to the environment "

Well done you watched program on it problem solved collect your medal.

The solution is obvious, stop making the bloody stuff. Plastic was only invented not all that long ago and the world functioned perfectly well without it. There’s no point taxing it, that’s just a money spinner and solves nothing. Just ban the production and use of it. The world will find an alternative. "

Thats true but its driven by the market place and people wanting the cheapest product. Glass isn't the solution as it has a high carbon footprint. Some supermarkets like Morrisons say bring your own container but people don't. We could ban it in the UK but china and India won't follow as they haven't with other things. The only real answer is to reduce at source and the government being clever with recycling and placing the burden of the cost in the right areas.

Well I don't have any long term solutions cos I used to work on building sites, and not in physics laboratories, but the original post was about raising awareness as to how we can stop what plastics we already have doing any more harm to the environment

Well done you watched program on it problem solved collect your medal."

I don't think it is a problem for one man to solve on his own.

Nothing wrong with raising awareness

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Well done you watched program on it problem solved collect your medal."

Did I say that I had solved any problems Miss Know it all? Nah I don'think so. And I'm not here to collect any medals on here either Sweetie

Bowing out.

"Well done you watched program on it problem solved collect your medal.

Did I say that I had solved any problems Miss Know it all? Nah I don'think so. And I'm not here to collect any medals on here either Sweetie "

Just go collect your meddle lovie Mwah.

Well done you watched program on it problem solved collect your medal.

I don't think it is a problem for one man to solve on his own.

Nothing wrong with raising awareness"

Thats partiality correct as is the guy who points at someone being mugged but stops at that. But then harping on about did you see one program rather than using time to come up with potential solutions is a better use of time.

Sadly environmental issues are a plague on the world and the answer isn't in the bottom of a bottle.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Did I say that I had solved any problems Miss Know it all? Nah I don'think so. And I'm not here to collect any medals on here either Sweetie

Just go collect your meddle lovie Mwah. "

Do I get it from under the bridge so I can fish a couple of plastic bottles out of the canal before the Queen troll presents me with a plastic Gold meddle?

Do I get it from under the bridge so I can fish a couple of plastic bottles out of the canal before the Queen troll presents me with a plastic Gold meddle? "

What an offensive guy you are a total lack of class resorting to insults how sad.

[Removed by poster at 02/10/18 11:39:50]

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Do I get it from under the bridge so I can fish a couple of plastic bottles out of the canal before the Queen troll presents me with a plastic Gold meddle?

What an offensive guy you are a total lack of class resorting to insults how sad. "

If you say so, the tread started out fine and was just about awareness of how we can stop plastic from polluting our environment, then it all went off at a tangent. I'm sorry if I offended you in any way x

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

*thread

By *eliciousladyWoman  over a year ago

Sometimes U.K

Some interesting views and opinions to read.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Some interesting views and opinions to read."

Yay, I started a half decent thread for once

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

What an offensive guy you are a total lack of class resorting to insults how sad. "

To be fair, your initial comment is going to get a reaction. The man has apologised now further down

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Can I remind people though ( not just on this thread ) that calling people trolls for their views is not really in the spirit of the forum...they are allowed views without the name calling

Thanks

...Up on the Downs

"Even better to find every possible way not to use them

Totally agree with this. For years and years I've not used plastic bags, don't by drink in plastic bottles unless there is no other choice...And yes there's more choice than one initially thinks. Public opinion can change industry and if people stopped buying products wrapped in plastic then industry would soon change.

"

Yup, the problem is so enormous and so urgent we have to do everything in our power - that means avoid using plastics as much as possible, develop effective bio-degradable plastics, and switch back to other alternatives like paper.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Can I remind people though ( not just on this thread ) that calling people trolls for their views is not really in the spirit of the forum...they are allowed views without the name calling

Thanks"

Cheers Ruggers, I'll take that on board

...Up on the Downs

Nonsense, you have been unspeakably rude and aggressive - Ace has been here for years and is probably the LEAST offensive man on the forums!

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

What an offensive guy you are a total lack of class resorting to insults how sad.

Nonsense, you have been unspeakably rude and aggressive - Ace has been here for years and is probably the LEAST offensive man on the forums! "

Cheers Frisky, I can stick up for maself. It's all water under the bridge now anyway xx

To be fair, your initial comment is going to get a reaction. The man has apologised now further down"

So we can insult people and as long as we apologise in the thread its ok?

In all honesty this will be seen by some as double standards sadly I will make no further comment about inconsistency.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

What. The. Fuck.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"What. The. Fuck. "

I think ma thread got temporarily sidetracked Clem, how do you think we can get round the problem of already produced plastic polluting our environment?

salisbury

"What. The. Fuck.

I think ma thread got temporarily sidetracked Clem, how do you think we can get round the problem of already produced plastic polluting our environment?"

I think its a bit rich for us to wonder around developing countries with low levels of income and education to point out how they're fucking up the planet. It was like when we had our industrial revolution, that was ok. But now India and China are trying as hard as they can to burn anything that looks like coal, destroying the atmosphere in their never ending search for cash, THAT'S frowned upon! All we can do as a nation is ban non-recyclable plastic. And hope the rest of the world catches up one day. We can not go around the globe like an angry parent telling them to tidy their rooms!

...Up on the Downs

"What. The. Fuck.

I think ma thread got temporarily sidetracked Clem, how do you think we can get round the problem of already produced plastic polluting our environment?

I think its a bit rich for us to wonder around developing countries with low levels of income and education to point out how they're fucking up the planet. It was like when we had our industrial revolution, that was ok. But now India and China are trying as hard as they can to burn anything that looks like coal, destroying the atmosphere in their never ending search for cash, THAT'S frowned upon! All we can do as a nation is ban non-recyclable plastic. And hope the rest of the world catches up one day. We can not go around the globe like an angry parent telling them to tidy their rooms! "

I disagree - though I don't think we should play the angry parent, but I do think we need to help, educate, fund, cajole, support, clean up after.... or do whatever it takes to stop our oceans being destroyed.

For instance if the 'third world disposal' problem cannot be solved, then the first world MUST develop the biodegradable plastics that make it less damaging, surely?

Refusing to use plastic drinking straws or coffee cups in the UK is no more than a pathetic drop in the ocean, pun intended.

By *alldarksurreyMan  over a year ago

surrey

Plastic in the sea is nothing compared to what else is lurking in there! People all around the world should be more concerned about the levels of radioactive waste that is continuously being dumped in the sea every day. And since many radioactive elements stay radioactive for hundreds of thousands of years shouldn't we be doing more to clean up and reduce the danger to all life on earth

We are emptying the oceans of its inhabitants and filling it with plastic .Weve got less than 10 years to sort it out .Which really isnt enough time .We have to decide quickly what we are going to let go extinct and what we are going to save

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

So we can insult people and as long as we apologise in the thread its ok?

In all honesty this will be seen by some as double standards sadly I will make no further comment about inconsistency.

"

No in answer to your first question. I have mentioned many times on the forum how that isn't ok.

But taking all things into account, your initial comment, ( which didn't add to the debate just tried to ridicule ) his comments and then his apology I deemed it to be over.

I then wrote a comment about ANYONE calling people trolls on this thread or any other that it isn't in the interest of the forum and people shouldn't be doing it

If you don't like how I dealt with it then the contact link is your best way to send your feedback, as the forum rules ask

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Back to the OP

Peterborough

"I don’t see the need for us to buy water in bottles. When we pay so much for our water rates. I am also guilty of this occasionally but I do try to fill my water bottle daily. It’s bizarre why so many people buy bottled water when it’s in no way different to tap water. "

Carbonated water is one option, less bad for you than normal fizzy drinks, no calories or colours.

Peterborough

I wear glasses and I really want them to be made out of glass instead. Much better optical quality and doesn't scratch as bad either. TV's have gone over to plastic too.

If the manufacturers didn't make so much OTT packaging, every Easter, then that would be a start.

Things like crisp packets, could be changed. Oh-but-the-consumers-won't-like-them. They don't like change. Rubbish! What they won't tell you is what they have achieved abroad.

Has anybody bought Pringles in a normal crisp bag yet? No?

Because they come in cardboard tubes, although it's not perfect cardboard can be used for dry goods.

Things that you can buy either in bags or boxes are, raisins, oats, salt, sugar (cubes and lumps) rice, most spices and biscuits etc.

Producers are lazy and would rather listen to their accountants opinions than their consumers and the media. Only legislation would get them to move their collective asses into gear.

This could and should have been dealt with decades ago.

By *lbert_shlossedMan  over a year ago

Manchester

"What. The. Fuck.

I think ma thread got temporarily sidetracked Clem, how do you think we can get round the problem of already produced plastic polluting our environment?"

We've got this thing called capitalism and frankly it's the greatest and most wonderful thing ever for fixing problems and creating solutions.

Put simply, you pay and somebody will invent a solution.

By *lbert_shlossedMan  over a year ago

Manchester

"I wear glasses and I really want them to be made out of glass instead. Much better optical quality and doesn't scratch as bad either. TV's have gone over to plastic too.

If the manufacturers didn't make so much OTT packaging, every Easter, then that would be a start.

Things like crisp packets, could be changed. Oh-but-the-consumers-won't-like-them. They don't like change. Rubbish! What they won't tell you is what they have achieved abroad.

Because they come in cardboard tubes, although it's not perfect cardboard can be used for dry goods.

Things that you can buy either in bags or boxes are, raisins, oats, salt, sugar (cubes and lumps) rice, most spices and biscuits etc.

Producers are lazy and would rather listen to their accountants opinions than their consumers and the media. Only legislation would get them to move their collective asses into gear.

"

Not to be funny but I don't think you quite grasp why we were using plastic in the first place?.

It's cheap, really really really cheap, it uses a fraction of the energy required to do than glass or cardboard, energy causes pollution less energy used means less pollution, we shouldn't have regulated the production of plastic we should have regulated the disposal of it better which probably includes very heavy fines for littering (yes it's not all about those greedy capitalists but lazy bloody consumers as well).

...Up on the Downs

"I wear glasses and I really want them to be made out of glass instead. Much better optical quality and doesn't scratch as bad either. TV's have gone over to plastic too.

"

Agreed.

By *elma and ShaggyCouple  over a year ago

Bedworth

"

If you want your spectacle lenses made of glass then all you have to do is ask the optical dispenser to sell you glass!

They aren’t very popular these days because they are much heavier, more expensive and more fragile but they are available.

If you don’t specify exactly what product you want they will give you the most popular option

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

Sachets in poorer countries seem to be a huge problem going by what they reported last night. Things like tea, coffee, soup, sugar, actually loads of everyday stuff sold in individual sachets because people can't afford full size ones.

Governments in those countries not providing recycling places so everyone dumping their stuff by the side of the river.

Marine life getting entangled in fishing wire etc ~ that was pretty shocking.

We were saying last night that whatever the answers are sadly it's probably too little, too late.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"What. The. Fuck.

I think its a bit rich for us to wonder around developing countries with low levels of income and education to point out how they're fucking up the planet. It was like when we had our industrial revolution, that was ok. But now India and China are trying as hard as they can to burn anything that looks like coal, destroying the atmosphere in their never ending search for cash, THAT'S frowned upon! All we can do as a nation is ban non-recyclable plastic. And hope the rest of the world catches up one day. We can not go around the globe like an angry parent telling them to tidy their rooms! "

Sorry not logged in for a few days, but my point is that we should learn from our mistakes. Yes, we can hopefully learn from our mistakes, and educate future generations. People have moved on from coal powered cars to the Higgs Boson Cabriolet these days don'tcha know

salisbury

"What. The. Fuck.

I think its a bit rich for us to wonder around developing countries with low levels of income and education to point out how they're fucking up the planet. It was like when we had our industrial revolution, that was ok. But now India and China are trying as hard as they can to burn anything that looks like coal, destroying the atmosphere in their never ending search for cash, THAT'S frowned upon! All we can do as a nation is ban non-recyclable plastic. And hope the rest of the world catches up one day. We can not go around the globe like an angry parent telling them to tidy their rooms!

Sorry not logged in for a few days, but my point is that we should learn from our mistakes. Yes, we can hopefully learn from our mistakes, and educate future generations. People have moved on from coal powered cars to the Higgs Boson Cabriolet these days don'tcha know "

Not in South Asia they haven't.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Not in South Asia they haven't. "

Exactly, it's the Governments in that neck of the woods that simply don't seem to give a toss. As long as it's economically viable for them to continue using these products, then I can't see things changing anytime soon

salisbury

"Not in South Asia they haven't.

Exactly, it's the Governments in that neck of the woods that simply don't seem to give a toss. As long as it's economically viable for them to continue using these products, then I can't see things changing anytime soon "

Me neither.

By *etpaid2poseMan  over a year ago

scunthorpe

"I don’t see the need for us to buy water in bottles. When we pay so much for our water rates. I am also guilty of this occasionally but I do try to fill my water bottle daily. It’s bizarre why so many people buy bottled water when it’s in no way different to tap water. "
you should try our local water want to see what it does to a kettle in a week not the sort of stuff you want to drink.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"I don’t see the need for us to buy water in bottles. When we pay so much for our water rates. I am also guilty of this occasionally but I do try to fill my water bottle daily. It’s bizarre why so many people buy bottled water when it’s in no way different to tap water. you should try our local water want to see what it does to a kettle in a week not the sort of stuff you want to drink."

The element that furs up when you boil yer kettle is limescale because you live in a hard water area, it is totally harmless to the human body in such trivial amounts

Anyhooooo, back to the plastic

» Add a new message to this topic