FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Sleep paralysis ?

Sleep paralysis ?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I've had some pretty vivid experiences mainly during my childhood but i still get it rarely.

Has anyone else had this yet? Apparently we're all meant to experience it at least once in our life. Sometimes they scare the hell out of me

Few examples include:

-Sleep walking

-Self awareness within a dream

-Waking up in shock

-feels real in a dream

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Just once I can remember. I know someone who has them all the time. Fortunately they're good ones as some only get the scary dreams.

I think it's something to do with the cycle of sleep being a bit out of sync.

By *crumdiddlyumptiousMan  over a year ago

I've thought I have woken up loads of times, I try to get up or just lift my head and can't, I usually then wake up very fast slightly sweating and my heart pounding, Same thing happens when I get my legs trapped under the bed sheets, I start to panic in my dreams

"Just once I can remember. I know someone who has them all the time. Fortunately they're good ones as some only get the scary dreams.

I think it's something to do with the cycle of sleep being a bit out of sync."

I used to dream of falling from something all the time as a kid among other strange things.

Yeah that does make sense, i haven't had a very settled life either.

Very regular all my life.

Also have experienced looking down at my self on many occasions asif from the ceiling,

Its possible to force outof body experiences, ive done this on one occasion.

Try taking ZMA it helps stop sleep paralysis for me.

"I've thought I have woken up loads of times, I try to get up or just lift my head and can't, I usually then wake up very fast slightly sweating and my heart pounding, Same thing happens when I get my legs trapped under the bed sheets, I start to panic in my dreams "

Oh wow that sounds rough. Think i can only relate to 1 incident as crazy as that. Hope you're coping

I used to get the falling sensation quite often, but not associated with any dreams that I recall, although nothing for some years now.

I do wake up in the night with an erection quite often, but again sadly I don't remember the dreams that gave it to me..

"Very regular all my life.

Also have experienced looking down at my self on many occasions asif from the ceiling,

Try taking ZMA it helps stop sleep paralysis for me."

Oh wow thats intense , ill be tire to check it out as mine aren't common but they do linger with me

By *uxom redCouple  over a year ago

Shrewsbury

"I've had some pretty vivid experiences mainly during my childhood but i still get it rarely.

Has anyone else had this yet? Apparently we're all meant to experience it at least once in our life. Sometimes they scare the hell out of me

Few examples include:

-Sleep walking

-Waking up in shock

-feels real in a dream"

Yep done them all I don't sleep

Check this vid out

https://youtu.be/DoPsjWqvwT4

Scary stuff

I’ve had this.

Several times actually.

I’ve had one where I’m asleep but I’m trying to wake up and it feels like someone is on top of me stopping me from moving, and then when I do move I wake up in shock & jump out of my sleep.

Very creepy!

This is the Mr of the couple and this has happened to me twice.

Both times I woke up but could only move my eyes nothing else and had this almighty fear that someone was about to come in the bedroom door .

I try to shout at the wife nothing happens.

I try go move my hands to wake her nothing happens .

Both times last around a minute but trust me it feels like an hour not being able to move and thinking someone is about to enter your bedroom .

Both times when i eventually snap out of it I never squeezed the living daylights out of the wife.

Very very scary experiences.

"I've had some pretty vivid experiences mainly during my childhood but i still get it rarely.

Few examples include:

-Sleep walking

-Waking up in shock

-feels real in a dream

Yep done them all I don't sleep "

Lord doesn't sound too good. Xx

"Check this vid out

Scary stuff"

It's a document on sleep paralysis

"I’ve had this.

Several times actually.

I’ve had one where I’m asleep but I’m trying to wake up and it feels like someone is on top of me stopping me from moving, and then when I do move I wake up in shock & jump out of my sleep.

Very creepy!"

Damn :/ yeah thats rough. Gives a kickstart to your day! Hope you're managing.

I used to fall from random places in my dream and woke up when i hit the ground. Cold sweats...i blame The BFG get on it mate!!!

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Few examples include:

-Sleep walking

-Waking up in shock

-feels real in a dream"

Have had all these and also reacurring dreams did not know there was a name for it all

Few examples include:

-Sleep walking

-Waking up in shock

-feels real in a dreamHave had all these and also reacurring dreams did not know there was a name for it all"

Ohh dear ive heard about those ones, enduring the same fear over and over again and sometimes continuous ugh hope your sleeping well for the most part xx

Few examples include:

-Sleep walking

-Waking up in shock

-feels real in a dream"

It's weird that you should post this OP I'm actually watching a film now ,called "Mara" Have a look

Few examples include:

-Sleep walking

-Waking up in shock

-feels real in a dream"

I used to have nightmares regularly as a child, eventually knew they weren't real and would allow myself to be killed so I could sleep. This was actually self-preservation so i wouldn't be harmed in real life.

I have had dreams that have been like reliving past lives and woken up in tears.

I have had memories of dreams in dreams and woken up confused as to what was memory and was a dream.

Few examples include:

-Sleep walking

-Waking up in shock

-feels real in a dream It's weird that you should post this OP I'm actually watching a film now ,called "Mara" Have a look "

Omg no way i watched that just a couple days ago too freaky!!!

Few examples include:

-Sleep walking

-Waking up in shock

-feels real in a dream It's weird that you should post this OP I'm actually watching a film now ,called "Mara" Have a look

Omg no way i watched that just a couple days ago too freaky!!!"

Do not sleep

Few examples include:

-Sleep walking

-Waking up in shock

-feels real in a dream

I used to have nightmares regularly as a child, eventually knew they weren't real and would allow myself to be killed so I could sleep. This was actually self-preservation so i wouldn't be harmed in real life.

I have had dreams that have been like reliving past lives and woken up in tears.

I have had memories of dreams in dreams and woken up confused as to what was memory and was a dream.

"

Just imagining that sends chills down my spine. You really must of had quite a few ordeals and here i was thinking i was desensitised but i guess this condition invokes our oldest emotion being fear

Few examples include:

-Sleep walking

-Waking up in shock

-feels real in a dream It's weird that you should post this OP I'm actually watching a film now ,called "Mara" Have a look

Omg no way i watched that just a couple days ago too freaky!!! Do not sleep "

Damnit! I just got comfortable

Atleast in Nighmare On Elm Street you could defend yourself from Freddy. But this is just not fair!

By *a Fee VerteWoman  over a year ago

Limbo

At the risk of sounding a bit weird I experienced sleep paralysis around 20 years ago - except that at the time I didn't know it had a name and it was terrifying, other-worldly and extremely vivid. I woke up on my back but couldn't move and it felt as though there was *something* immensely heavy on top of me pinning me down. In that moment although I couldn't see anything, I nonetheless 'knew' it was some sort of large dark humanesque mass and my overriding fear was that 'it' was evil and meant me serious harm. It was truly horrifying. That may sound like codswallop now but that's how I felt ... as something of a rather hypocritical atheist I even dragged up the Lord's prayer in my head which I repeated like a mantra. Eventually after 20 mins or so (I could see the clock) it seemed as though 'it' weakened and evaporated but it really shook me up and I was scared to go to bed for days after.

The very strange thing was that about a week later something similar happened again only I woke up on my tummy unable to move with the feeling I had something on my back. Except this time I felt four distinct pressure points - as you do when a cat stands on you - except 'this' must have been a huge bloody cat because I felt it on each shoulder and on each buttock. And instead of being terrified, I felt comforted, as if whatever was on me was protecting me and letting me know that.

Years later I read about what we now know as sleep paralysis and how its terrors had fuelled a belief in demons, incubi etc. in the past, which certainly seemed to explain my first experience. Though I've never yet read about paralysis episodes which feel positive and reassuring ... I suspect my mind conjured up an antidote to me being frightened but I did confide in a new agey friend who very matter of factly suggested my 'cat' was a guardian angel!

And I've never experienced this since ... just hope writing it all down won't prompt a nightmare tonight

Not sleep paralysis as such, but I sometimes go through spells that can go on for months at a time where I keep waking through the night in a blind panic, convinced that the house is on fire.

I'd find myself running around the house in my pants searching for a fire that's not there. On several occasions I'd even be convinced that I could see rooms filled with smoke.

" I woke up on my back but couldn't move and it felt as though there was *something* immensely heavy on top of me pinning me down. In that moment although I couldn't see anything, I nonetheless 'knew' it was some sort of large dark humanesque mass and my overriding fear was that 'it' was evil and meant me serious harm. It was truly horrifying."

...I experienced the exact same thing when I was younger. I'll never forget that pressing weight on my body and feeling unable to move. I also 'felt' two hands grab my ankles and pull me out of the bed...absolutely terrifying.

By *6topMan  over a year ago

Sheffield

If youve never experienced it, then it difficult to discribe.

Mine is, i open my eyes, mid dream(usually a bad one or nightmare), if i shout in my dream it comes out like a 'zombie speaking loud "uuurrggghhb!" sound'

All the while I am part awake part sleep. I can only describe coming awake like surfacing from underwater.(i used to panic mid dream)

My mrs gets scared out of her sleep bless her but is used to it a bit by now.

Not nice to experience.(the dream, not the Mrs)

"At the risk of sounding a bit weird I experienced sleep paralysis around 20 years ago - except that at the time I didn't know it had a name and it was terrifying, other-worldly and extremely vivid. I woke up on my back but couldn't move and it felt as though there was *something* immensely heavy on top of me pinning me down. In that moment although I couldn't see anything, I nonetheless 'knew' it was some sort of large dark humanesque mass and my overriding fear was that 'it' was evil and meant me serious harm. It was truly horrifying. That may sound like codswallop now but that's how I felt ... as something of a rather hypocritical atheist I even dragged up the Lord's prayer in my head which I repeated like a mantra. Eventually after 20 mins or so (I could see the clock) it seemed as though 'it' weakened and evaporated but it really shook me up and I was scared to go to bed for days after.

The very strange thing was that about a week later something similar happened again only I woke up on my tummy unable to move with the feeling I had something on my back. Except this time I felt four distinct pressure points - as you do when a cat stands on you - except 'this' must have been a huge bloody cat because I felt it on each shoulder and on each buttock. And instead of being terrified, I felt comforted, as if whatever was on me was protecting me and letting me know that.

Years later I read about what we now know as sleep paralysis and how its terrors had fuelled a belief in demons, incubi etc. in the past, which certainly seemed to explain my first experience. Though I've never yet read about paralysis episodes which feel positive and reassuring ... I suspect my mind conjured up an antidote to me being frightened but I did confide in a new agey friend who very matter of factly suggested my 'cat' was a guardian angel!

And I've never experienced this since ... just hope writing it all down won't prompt a nightmare tonight "

That sent chills down my spine. How horrific. My mother write a song about a dream she had that haunted her throughout her years. Strangely she described her "demon" similar to yours only in the dream she saw it as her reflection. Eeek

This is all fascinating and quite alien to me - I've never had a dream! (Not good if I was MLK). At least, not one that I was aware of, or remembered on waking. I guess that's what death is like - a perpetual dreamless sleep.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

We had a thread on some elements of this in the last couple of days.

I sleep walk and talk and have found myself outside. I have lucid dreaming a fair bit, where I'm aware and direct the dream - can have some wonderful experiences and have dreamt this way since teenage years.

I don't get much paralysis now but used to a fair bit. Our bodies naturally become stilled during our dreaming sleep, allowing the dreams to be full mental action, without the full muscular activities.

It's worth development of your skills to increase your dream and sleep control.

Reading this has given me goose pimples but I feel so much better that I'm not the only one. I've found it's when I sleep on my back when this happens, and I know I'm asleep but in my head I'm awake and I try my hardest to wake myself up.

By *exymidscouple2017Couple  over a year ago

Birmingham

"If youve never experienced it, then it difficult to discribe.

Mine is, i open my eyes, mid dream(usually a bad one or nightmare), if i shout in my dream it comes out like a 'zombie speaking loud "uuurrggghhb!" sound'

All the while I am part awake part sleep. I can only describe coming awake like surfacing from underwater.(i used to panic mid dream)

My mrs gets scared out of her sleep bless her but is used to it a bit by now.

Not nice to experience.(the dream, not the Mrs)

"

You've hit the nail on the head with that. I suffer the same thing from time to time quite scary when I'm shouting for help in my dream but in real life I'm 'screaming uuurrggghhb'..Mr has woken up thinking I'm having an heart attack

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I think these experiences are the basis for many people thinking that they have had an encounter with a ghost - the paralysis, heavy sensation on their chest, at common elements of people meeting ghosts. It's not to say that all reports of ghosts are sleep paralysis but a good number of them may be this.

I used to get it fairly commonly as I matured, often coupled with a dream where I couldn't scream for help.

Im ofg guys, Hope you all have a goodnight sleep!!!xxx

By *ediMan  over a year ago

Leeds

"Just once I can remember. I know someone who has them all the time. Fortunately they're good ones as some only get the scary dreams.

I think it's something to do with the cycle of sleep being a bit out of sync.

I used to dream of falling from something all the time as a kid among other strange things.

Yeah that does make sense, i haven't had a very settled life either. "

I’ve had the same but always woke up before I hit the bottom

Leeds

"Very regular all my life.

Try taking ZMA it helps stop sleep paralysis for me."

I’ve had vivid dreams with that

Leeds

"At the risk of sounding a bit weird I experienced sleep paralysis around 20 years ago - except that at the time I didn't know it had a name and it was terrifying, other-worldly and extremely vivid. I woke up on my back but couldn't move and it felt as though there was *something* immensely heavy on top of me pinning me down. In that moment although I couldn't see anything, I nonetheless 'knew' it was some sort of large dark humanesque mass and my overriding fear was that 'it' was evil and meant me serious harm. It was truly horrifying. That may sound like codswallop now but that's how I felt ... as something of a rather hypocritical atheist I even dragged up the Lord's prayer in my head which I repeated like a mantra. Eventually after 20 mins or so (I could see the clock) it seemed as though 'it' weakened and evaporated but it really shook me up and I was scared to go to bed for days after.

And I've never experienced this since ... just hope writing it all down won't prompt a nightmare tonight "

I’ve had the same, to be honest scared me at the time for that moment, didn’t like the feeling

The real meaning of Nightmares- being ridden by the ‘night mare’ as opposed to bad dreams.

I’ve had this on and off for years and that sense of not being alone and weighted down still happens but I just relax now not fight it and it goes away like coming up to the surface from a pool.

Also get intense tinnitus with mine.

Also once had a dream so real it was like a virtual reality machine- I knew somehow it was a dream and was fully conscious in it. Nothing odd or abstract happened just mundane stuff.

On the basis of the above I can fully understand people who believe in being abducted by aliens or who have mental illness where they cannot distinguish reality.

By *a Fee VerteWoman  over a year ago

Limbo

In all these years I've never considered the etymology of 'nightmare' but of course, that makes perfect sense - the mare being the 'demon' (from Old English). The fact most of us now think of it as describing 'just' a bad dream has rather dulled its original meaning I think.

I'm usually able to direct any dream which becomes too distressing - to effectively dismiss any horrid aspects by identifying them and calling them out (in the dream) so your bog standard 'nightmare' isn't something I often experience because I can stop them before they go too far. The exceptions being my sleep paralysis incident and also the terrifying dreams I've had whenever I've seen an adaptation of The Woman in Black (film, stage, TV) … there's something about that story which really gets inside me.

On a related point I had a dream so vivid and horribly abstract i can remember it with crystal clarity almost 30 years later- although i was on powerful medication back then so may have been a factor.

It was utterly fucked up, but in no way scary.

I kept waking up last night and the drifting straight back into the same dream I was having(a very vivid one)this happened 4or5 times in the night,it was so weird I can still remember most if not all the dream

I lucid dream. Quite often normally but not as much lately.

I’ve only ever sleep walked as I child, and I remember the dream I was having as I did it. My mum had to clean my pee off the stairs.

By *elvet RopeMan  over a year ago

by the big field

not so much now, but i remember having some weird halucinatory dreams while ill that knock a double dose of LSD in to a cocked hat for all round oddness

I get it all the time since i was a kid its still as teriffying now as it ever was

"not so much now, but i remember having some weird halucinatory dreams while ill that knock a double dose of LSD in to a cocked hat for all round oddness"

It felt very hallucinogenic to me like an acid trip whilst asleep

"I get it all the time since i was a kid its still as teriffying now as it ever was"

Read a Whitley streiber book called transformation

By *olfAndKittenCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

Sleep awareness can be taught, takes time and practice. It is a good skill to learn if you are prone to nightmares... The skill is called lucid dreaming

"I get it all the time since i was a kid its still as teriffying now as it ever was

Read a Whitley streiber book called transformation"

Why does it cure it

"I get it all the time since i was a kid its still as teriffying now as it ever was

Read a Whitley streiber book called transformation

Why does it cure it

"

It's a reference to it still happening since childhood

Had a weird episode last night, feltight there was someone in my room, it seemed like I was awake, but I can't be 100% sure

Get it 1 or 2 times per year feels like i imagine trying to wake from a coma does

By *SAchickWoman  over a year ago

Hillside desolate

I used to get this when I was a kid, I'd wake up in the middle of the night and the bed covers felt like concrete holding me down.

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

One could google lucid dreams and astral projection which might shed some light on sleep paralysis and vibrations and random loud noises.

Iv posted this before, it's a documentary about sleep paralysis

Fuckin freaky!!

By *rben112Man  over a year ago

worcester

Woken up, opened my eyes but couldn’t move any part of my body or speak. I was like that for about 15 seconds, really freaked me out.

By *rben112Man  over a year ago

worcester

[Removed by poster at 05/10/19 15:36:47]

By *octor DeleriumMan  over a year ago

Bristol

"Had a weird episode last night, feltight there was someone in my room, it seemed like I was awake, but I can't be 100% sure"

I moved some things around.

Look in your sock drawer.

[Removed by poster at 05/10/19 16:03:22]

Had this once when I was about 15 never again though

I have it quite a lot, sometimes more vivid than others, when it's really vivid it very disturbing

We all have sleep paralysis each night. It's quite normal. The issue is where the sleep cycle is slightly out and you become conscious while the body is still in paralysis.

The disconnect often associated with lucid (vivid) dreaming too. For many the lucid dreams can be unpleasant but for others (perhaps a minority) very pleasant. I know someone who virtually decides what they want to dream about before they go to sleep. Imagine deciding to have sex with your TV crush in glorious technicolour, smellorama and full feeling!

My fkd up past left me with many things..this being one and it leaves me screaming tears and unstable for a while..not dangerous..just not in this or any other world...last one punched my heart rate faster than I ve known before..

[Removed by poster at 07/10/19 06:40:48]

[Removed by poster at 07/10/19 06:40:43]

Few examples include:

-Sleep walking

-Waking up in shock

-feels real in a dream"

nope never had it, i dont dream at all

By *nabelle21Woman  over a year ago

B38

Never had it although have dreamt often as a kid that I could fly

» Add a new message to this topic