FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > How to stop a dog weeing

How to stop a dog weeing

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

in the house ?

Have had a rescue dog now for a month or so and love him to bits - likes to play, loves his cuddles, asks for nothing really.

The downside is that whenever he is left, he wees (usually in the same spot)

I think it is an anxiety thing at being left. It's almost like a dirty protest lol

For example, last week, I had him out for a walk, he did his stuff.

Came home and went to the shop. Gone for no more than 10 minutes, came back, he'd wee'd

Last night same thing. Took him for a walk, came back, went to Asda and came back home to another puddle.

On the plus side, he wees on a wipeable surface (and hence my floor has never been so clean with all the mopping).

He is house trained and he sits by the door when he wants to go out so its not like he needs puppy training.

Anyone any suggestions how I can stem this / stop the anxiety at being left ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ove bi guysWoman  over a year ago

Birmingham

My sister had the same problem and it was suggested to leave the radio on low on a station with more talk than music. Strangley he didn't like our local bbc talk station but loves brmb lol. No problem since

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

Bless the wee soul... Have also heard the radio suggestion above.

good luck

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"My sister had the same problem and it was suggested to leave the radio on low on a station with more talk than music. Strangley he didn't like our local bbc talk station but loves brmb lol. No problem since"

+1... Or the TV...;-);-)

{Or a rusty knife...}

How about getting him a cage and keep him in there when you go out?

They do not like fouling the area where they sleep/rest, and may help him to get used to the idea of being left indoors when you go out etc...

That was how my dog was trained by his dad. He was left in his cage when he went out, gradually increasing the length of time etc...

Once the dog got used to the idea of being left on his own, he was fine to be left in the house anywhere he pleases, which is normally on the spare side of the double bed nowadays.

Good luck!

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Had a rescue dog years ago who sat by the door & barked when he wanted to do his business. Was in the bath with my music on a tad loud. Said mutt marches into bathroom & cocks his leg against the toilet bowl. Priceless.

By *unkytigersCouple (FF)  over a year ago

southend

Cage training is an excellent idea. But it depends on how old he is. Too old, and it might upset him more. Be careful though, so many people abuse cage training, and make problems worse.

If he's going in the same place all the time, he can still smell himself there, so he is just re-affirming his territory, use a product specifically designed for pet urine.

The radio is also a good idea.

Mine no longer uses his cage, and it is being used as a spare desk covered with various bits and pieces.

It is my intention to pack it away to make room for a cycle trainer after the Christmas break.

I have to agree music left on....not sure the cage thing be a good idea if hes a little older N a rescue dog,maybe going back to centre askin for his history could also help as many dogs are abused....hope u find a solution...x

The 'cage' can be introduced slowly. Leave it in the room with some familiar smelling bedding in it. Encourage him/her to go in and out freely, leaving the door open. Shutting them in for a few minutes, then increasing it. If the dog learns that the cage is not a punishment cage he only goes in when owner leaves him, he should adapt. Worked for me, mine used to nip in for a snooze when it suited them.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

i leave the radio on - maybe it is smoothfm that is distressing him

he is about 18 months old and is a cross staffy (crossed with what heaven only knows).

and you are right, he doesnt wee where he sleeps, he goes elsewhere

"Cage training is an excellent idea. But it depends on how old he is. Too old, and it might upset him more. Be careful though, so many people abuse cage training, and make problems worse.

If he's going in the same place all the time, he can still smell himself there, so he is just re-affirming his territory, use a product specifically designed for pet urine.

The radio is also a good idea. "

Yes, we were going to mention the territory marking and as F.T said above, use a specific cleaning product.

If you use an ammonia based product it mimics the ammonia in urine and continues the urinating cycle.

XXXX

House training take a lot of patience, I found you have to catch them just before they're going to do it.

Scolding them after the event you're wasting your time and making things worse.

Stop them then take outside, once they've done it reward with a treat to start with and lots of pats of encouragement. Same goes when they're out normally, once they've done the business, give them a lot of praise this soon get imprinted in their mind.

» Add a new message to this topic