FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Photography tips

Photography tips

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ogNMuse OP   Couple  over a year ago

Surrey

Ok let me preface this by saying, I am in no way claiming to be the last word on photography, I have done photography on and off as a profession for 20 odd years, I've shot most stuff from naked women to industrial fittings (lots of flanges!) More than happy to send non- fab type photos to anyone who would like to see, I am a massive geek when it comes to the tech side, so more than happy to talk FPS, ISO, f-stops with anyone, and for those who are interested i shoot primarily with Nikon gear, and most of my studio lighting equipment is from Lencarta.

So would anyone like me to open a 'ask the photographer' thread ? (or just use this one)

And if anyone wants me to I can knock a little guide on how to improve your photos with some very simple techniques. I'll shoot it on my phone so you can see that expensive professional gear isn't needed.

I am happy to answer any questions that I feel I can give a valid answer to, but just remember all answers will be solely my opinion and you can choose to take that opinion or leave it.

So if anyone has a question feel free to fire away

And anyone who has no interest then please feel free to click your back button.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *od ThrusterMan  over a year ago

Newport Pagnell

No questions (I like to think I know my way around the controls of my camera) but your thread is a good idea.

I'm a Canon user so happy to stick in my two penn'orth if any questions are more brand specific.

I always like to take a nosey at the photos of anyone who says they're a photographer and for a nice change your portfolio backs up your claim and I've fabbed a couple.

All the best.

Surrey

Cheers

I certainly don't intend it to be a "i know best!' thread and welcome any input from anyone who wants to add

And I'll overlook the fact your a Canon shooter

By *layersdelightCouple  over a year ago

Stevenage

I find my photos boring would love new ideas and if u can make me a size 10 that would be great so many photoshopped pics x

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Cheers

I certainly don't intend it to be a "i know best!' thread and welcome any input from anyone who wants to add

And I'll overlook the fact your a Canon shooter "

I'll overlook the fact you're a Nikon shooter

My photos on here are shit, BTW...

Surrey

" so many photoshopped pics x"

Is that aimed at anyone in particular?

And as for finding you photos boring, in what way are they boring?

A great little exercise is to do what is known as a 365, you make yourself take at least 1 photo a day for one whole year - It can be of absolutely anything, and after you've taken it have a good look at it and ask what you DO like about it just take the positives from it and I guarantee you will find yourself taking better pictures.

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

Both this profile and Domesticated Vixen's (that I know belongs to the Muse half of your profile) have long been on my Hotlist purely so I can keep tabs on the pics which are not only right up my street in terms of style and content but are obviously taken by someone who knows exactly what they're doing and has a good eye for what works

No questions as such but have been surprised how easy it is to get fairly decent pics with a phone camera set to timer and a little imagination and creativity - but will be keeping my eye on this thread for any handy tips.

Nice one OP

By *alking DisasterWoman  over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

"Ok let me preface this by saying, I am in no way claiming to be the last word on photography, I have done photography on and off as a profession for 20 odd years, I've shot most stuff from naked women to industrial fittings (lots of flanges!) More than happy to send non- fab type photos to anyone who would like to see, I am a massive geek when it comes to the tech side, so more than happy to talk FPS, ISO, f-stops with anyone, and for those who are interested i shoot primarily with Nikon gear, and most of my studio lighting equipment is from Lencarta.

So would anyone like me to open a 'ask the photographer' thread ? (or just use this one)

And if anyone wants me to I can knock a little guide on how to improve your photos with some very simple techniques. I'll shoot it on my phone so you can see that expensive professional gear isn't needed.

I am happy to answer any questions that I feel I can give a valid answer to, but just remember all answers will be solely my opinion and you can choose to take that opinion or leave it.

"

Some stunning pictures on your profile OP!

I am currently borrowing my brothers Nikon camera (don't ask me what type!) and my dream is to one day hire a hotel room so I can take some naughty pictures. I have too much clutter in my room to take any there.

So any general tips would be appreciated!

I can use the timer on my camera, the thing I can't do is pose! Some ladies pose so sexily, I just feel awkward, I need someone to instruct me which way to turn/lean/place arms etc.

Surrey

"Both this profile and Domesticated Vixen's (that I know belongs to the Muse half of your profile) have long been on my Hotlist purely so I can keep tabs on the pics which are not only right up my street in terms of style and content but are obviously taken by someone who knows exactly what they're doing and has a good eye for what works

No questions as such but have been surprised how easy it is to get fairly decent pics with a phone camera set to timer and a little imagination and creativity - but will be keeping my eye on this thread for any handy tips.

Nice one OP "

Cheers buddy

Couple of quick tips for phone photography or any photography in general

1. Go on Amazon search for bluetooth tripod ~ £15.00

2. While still on Amazon, search 5 in 1 collapsible reflector ~ £10

3. Stay Tuned and I'll knock up a quick intro on using the above later on.

By *pider-WomanWoman  over a year ago

Exeter, Bristol, Plymouth, Truro

Hiya Op

Great thread. I use the s9 plus on the timer.

Any tips would be welcome

By *omesticated_VixenWoman  over a year ago

sw London

"I can use the timer on my camera, the thing I can't do is pose! Some ladies pose so sexily, I just feel awkward, I need someone to instruct me which way to turn/lean/place arms etc. "

Most people can't pose naturally, you should hear us sometimes when I just seem to have a block on how to pose or even smile. He has been known to show me the pose he is aiming for. Other times it just comes naturally.

Surrey

@Walking Disaster

RE: Hotel rooms, get the biggest one you can afford, makes taking photos so much easier!

Get a tripod, you'll need it to place the camera on as the level of lighting will be quite low which will mean the camera will need quite a long shutter speed and therefore any movement will result in blurry photos.

Have a look at your brothers camera and see if you can tell which model it is, and if possible the lens attached to it as well, then I can give you some settings to get you started with.

"I can use the timer on my camera, the thing I can't do is pose! Some ladies pose so sexily, I just feel awkward, I need someone to instruct me which way to turn/lean/place arms etc.

Most people can't pose naturally, you should hear us sometimes when I just seem to have a block on how to pose or even smile. He has been known to show me the pose he is aiming for. Other times it just comes naturally."

That sounds funny, does he put the outfit on too?!

I look a lot at other ladies pics for inspiration, I'm in a hotel tomorrow night I might have a go at some new ones.

No questions from me but I'm enjoying reading through

Ive always fabbed domesticatedvixens pics and only realised this morning who's profile this was lol

I use a Samsung a5, sometimes with voice and sometimes with timer on a tripod as i have a handy attachment for my phone

Ive been doing this a while so i know what works for me, and what doesn't

Surrey

@Serendipity - Ah the dreaded posing question, just start off taking photos without thinking about posing, just relax into a comfortable position that feels totally natural for you - think of this as your pre-shoot stretch and warm up.

And to be honest, most people who aren't used to having posed photos taken feel awkward to start with - and this is where photographers have to do the real work, coaxing the pose or look from the subject, and its what sets the great portrait photographers out from the rest. A good photo isn't always a technically brilliant one

I'm willing to bet your favourite photos of yourself are ones that have captured you unaware, the natural ones.

By *ibertine_mindsCouple  over a year ago

Staffs/ Derbys/ Peak District

"Cheers

And I'll overlook the fact your a Canon shooter

I'll overlook the fact you're a Nikon shooter

My photos on here are shit, BTW..."

One look at our profile images will tell you that I'm NOT a photographer, but I do own a Nikon.

We both have a passion for good erotic photographic images and always keen to improve my own abilities across the board.

OP - btw, I also have a professional interest in industrial flanges . . .

Surrey

"Hiya Op

Great thread. I use the s9 plus on the timer.

Any tips would be welcome

"

Copy what I told Gemini man to do

"@Serendipity - Ah the dreaded posing question, just start off taking photos without thinking about posing, just relax into a comfortable position that feels totally natural for you - think of this as your pre-shoot stretch and warm up.

And to be honest, most people who aren't used to having posed photos taken feel awkward to start with - and this is where photographers have to do the real work, coaxing the pose or look from the subject, and its what sets the great portrait photographers out from the rest. A good photo isn't always a technically brilliant one

I'm willing to bet your favourite photos of yourself are ones that have captured you unaware, the natural ones."

Thank you for the advice, I will try that, I now need to pack more stuff for my night away than originally planned!

Oh I virtually never have pictures taken when I'm unaware, I hate people taking pics of me lol. If I see a camera or phone going up I turn away or give the birdie!

sw London

"I can use the timer on my camera, the thing I can't do is pose! Some ladies pose so sexily, I just feel awkward, I need someone to instruct me which way to turn/lean/place arms etc.

Most people can't pose naturally, you should hear us sometimes when I just seem to have a block on how to pose or even smile. He has been known to show me the pose he is aiming for. Other times it just comes naturally.

I look a lot at other ladies pics for inspiration, I'm in a hotel tomorrow night I might have a go at some new ones. "

Haha he hasn't yet

Good luck a hotel room might just be the place where you get the perfect poses x

Surrey

"No questions from me but I'm enjoying reading through

Ive always fabbed domesticatedvixens pics and only realised this morning who's profile this was lol

I use a Samsung a5, sometimes with voice and sometimes with timer on a tripod as i have a handy attachment for my phone

Ive been doing this a while so i know what works for me, and what doesn't "

Glad its proving to be of some use - see wifey I can sometimes be useful

Its great when you find a way that you know you can set up and get the photos you want

I look a lot at other ladies pics for inspiration, I'm in a hotel tomorrow night I might have a go at some new ones.

Haha he hasn't yet

Good luck a hotel room might just be the place where you get the perfect poses x"

My best posey pics to date were taken in a hotel room so fingers crossed.

sw London

"No questions from me but I'm enjoying reading through

Ive been doing this a while so i know what works for me, and what doesn't

Glad its proving to be of some use - see wifey I can sometimes be useful

Its great when you find a way that you know you can set up and get the photos you want

"

So I see I agree you do have your uses x

Surrey

"One look at our profile images will tell you that I'm NOT a photographer, but I do own a Nikon.

We both have a passion for good erotic photographic images and always keen to improve my own abilities across the board.

OP - btw, I also have a professional interest in industrial flanges . . . "

Well your off to a good start by owning a Nikon

What is it you want to achieve with your photography, do you have any particular styles, photographers or artists whose work you like?

I'm a massive Jack Vettriano fan and his influence can often be seen in a lot of my photos - even got a like and very nice comment on Instagram of his studio for one of my photos that was clearly an homage to one of his paintings (10th sept red background) made my year that did!

Sometimes having a clear idea in your head what it is you want to shoot i.e. visualise the finished photo before you've even press the shutter button can help you get that shot.

So give me a bit more info and i'll try my best to help you.

As much as I love flanges, I really, really hate shooting them because of the internal reflections from my lights - that is flanges of the industrial kind incase anyone was wondering!

"@Serendipity - Ah the dreaded posing question, just start off taking photos without thinking about posing, just relax into a comfortable position that feels totally natural for you - think of this as your pre-shoot stretch and warm up.

I'm willing to bet your favourite photos of yourself are ones that have captured you unaware, the natural ones.

Thank you for the advice, I will try that, I now need to pack more stuff for my night away than originally planned!

Oh I virtually never have pictures taken when I'm unaware, I hate people taking pics of me lol. If I see a camera or phone going up I turn away or give the birdie! "

The best wedding photos I've ever taken have been reportage ones with a long lens and unaware subjects!

"One look at our profile images will tell you that I'm NOT a photographer, but I do own a Nikon.

What is it you want to achieve with your photography, do you have any particular styles, photographers or artists whose work you like?

I'm a massive Jack Vettriano fan and his influence can often be seen in a lot of my photos - even got a like and very nice comment on Instagram of his studio for one of my photos that was clearly an homage to one of his paintings (10th sept red background) made my year that did!

Sometimes having a clear idea in your head what it is you want to shoot i.e. visualise the finished photo before you've even press the shutter button can help you get that shot.

As much as I love flanges, I really, really hate shooting them because of the internal reflections from my lights - that is flanges of the industrial kind incase anyone was wondering!"

I once spent a few unhappy (but well paid) days shooting stainless steel, bevelled LED lights for cabins on yachts. The reflections and trying to get rid of them was insane. I was picking up reflections from red bins that were 50 yards away that I thought I'd boxed off!

By *affire_and_SteelCouple  over a year ago

North by North West

Well aren’t you lovely offering free advice ? Very refreshing. Fairly new to the Canon 7d here after changing from a 450d. We’re looking at using this more indoors now instead of our point-and-shoot ‘naughty camera’. Any recommendations for flash, lens and settings this type of photography ?

Thanks in advance.

S&S

"Well aren’t you lovely offering free advice ? Very refreshing. Fairly new to the Canon 7d here after changing from a 450d. We’re looking at using this more indoors now instead of our point-and-shoot ‘naughty camera’. Any recommendations for flash, lens and settings this type of photography ?

Thanks in advance.

S&S"

Get the flash off the camera and use it remotely. Not sure whether the earlier 7's can do this natively but triggers are dirt cheap. Use the lens with the biggest aperture you've got, open it wide and add light/adjust ISO/change exposure time to suit. Use a reflector if required. I've often started shoots with 3 or 4 lights and finished with a single light source and a reflector and got the best shots from that.

South Oxfordshire

"@Walking Disaster

RE: Hotel rooms, get the biggest one you can afford, makes taking photos so much easier!

Get a tripod, you'll need it to place the camera on as the level of lighting will be quite low which will mean the camera will need quite a long shutter speed and therefore any movement will result in blurry photos.

Have a look at your brothers camera and see if you can tell which model it is, and if possible the lens attached to it as well, then I can give you some settings to get you started with.

"

I've just looked at it and it's actually a Canon shows you how often I use it!

It's a Canon 450D EOS (I'm just picking up everything on the front). The lens says EFS 18-55mm.

And thank you.

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

Bookmarking!!

I'd love a proper camera. What's the best one to start off with that you can do plenty with (indoor, outdoor) without having to upgrade too soon?

Ps I love your pics OP

Surrey

"Well aren’t you lovely offering free advice ? Very refreshing. Fairly new to the Canon 7d here after changing from a 450d. We’re looking at using this more indoors now instead of our point-and-shoot ‘naughty camera’. Any recommendations for flash, lens and settings this type of photography ?

Thanks in advance.

S&S"

What lens have you got at the moment? One lens (IMO) everyone should have is the good old nifty fifty f1.8 cheap as chips, although with a crop body maybe the 35mm version.

Other than that without knowing how much you want to spend on a lens I cant really advise, but remember good glass will always keep (most of) its value.

First thing, try and avoid using the built in flash, not sure which Canon bodies do or don't have them, and have a google for Off Camera Flash - there are literally thousands of tutorials on Youtube on this, or have a look at a website called Fstoppers.com there's loads of good stuff on there.

As for what flash to buy, again it all comes down to budget. Obviously Canon speed lights will be the easiest, but a couple of Yongnuo (Ebay/Amazon) flashes and a couple of wireless controllers will do you just as well. Along with a couple of lightstands and some shoot through umbrellas.

Again more budget details and i'll be able to give some more options.

Surrey

"@Walking Disaster

It's a Canon 450D EOS (I'm just picking up everything on the front). The lens says EFS 18-55mm.

And thank you."

I may be wrong, but the 450D is quite a few years old now, so high ISO shots will end up quite grainy, and that lens is probably a kit lens and will have a maximum aperture of around F3.5 which isn't great when shooting in low light conditions- again I'm a Nikon man so I'll defer you to that lot over there to help with any of the cameras settings/controls.

But basically you either need to introduce more light into your room or use longer exposures/higher ISO

Surrey

"Bookmarking!!

I'd love a proper camera. What's the best one to start off with that you can do plenty with (indoor, outdoor) without having to upgrade too soon?

Ps I love your pics OP "

Thank you Yours aren't too shabby either

Ok lets start with a budget, and work from there. And don't discount 2nd hand either.

Then theres the type, DSLRs can be quite bulky and heavy to lug around all day, so people end up not using them, but some of the CSC cameras from the likes of Fuji are fantastic.

And you don't actually need to upgrade a camera that often, I've still got 3 cameras that are 10 or more years old (2 x D3, 1x D200) and they are the ones that I use to do all my personal work with, same with most of my lenses.

Now wanting to upgrade is a different matter, luckily all my newer ones are business purchases so I get to indulge in upgrades more often than if it was purely a hobby (1 x D800 1 x D810 1 x D5)

And remember having the latest greatest camera won't automatically make you take better pictures its still a tool that needs mastering.

Theres nothing worse than someone saying "your photos are good you must have a really good camera", would anyone go up to a chef and say 'that meal was fabulous, you must have a fantastic cooker!"

Surrey

As much as I love flanges, I really, really hate shooting them because of the internal reflections from my lights - that is flanges of the industrial kind incase anyone was wondering!

I once spent a few unhappy (but well paid) days shooting stainless steel, bevelled LED lights for cabins on yachts. The reflections and trying to get rid of them was insane. I was picking up reflections from red bins that were 50 yards away that I thought I'd boxed off!"

Probably the worst one for me has been, shooting a (very) shiny black car in a white studio, normally I'd leave the light reflections and specular highlights in to highlight a cars shape, but this client wanted a clean surface, this was in the days before it became easy to remove in post with photoshop - multiple exposures in camera moving the lights between shots

I’d love to see a photography thread, I shoot mostly astrophotography and more recently profile night shots, the process of using flash is somewhat new to me and very much trial and error so anyone who is clued up on lighting techniques and using the correct gels would be really useful to know

Surrey

"I’d love to see a photography thread, I shoot mostly astrophotography and more recently profile night shots, the process of using flash is somewhat new to me and very much trial and error so anyone who is clued up on lighting techniques and using the correct gels would be really useful to know "

Saw your shots the other day , not tried any astro myself, but I have played with light painting using a continuous light source which came out ok, have a look on lightpaintingphotography.com for some tools

North by North West

Thanks in advance.

S&S

What lens have you got at the moment? One lens (IMO) everyone should have is the good old nifty fifty f1.8 cheap as chips, although with a crop body maybe the 35mm version.

Other than that without knowing how much you want to spend on a lens I cant really advise, but remember good glass will always keep (most of) its value.

First thing, try and avoid using the built in flash, not sure which Canon bodies do or don't have them, and have a google for Off Camera Flash - there are literally thousands of tutorials on Youtube on this, or have a look at a website called Fstoppers.com there's loads of good stuff on there.

As for what flash to buy, again it all comes down to budget. Obviously Canon speed lights will be the easiest, but a couple of Yongnuo (Ebay/Amazon) flashes and a couple of wireless controllers will do you just as well. Along with a couple of lightstands and some shoot through umbrellas.

Again more budget details and i'll be able to give some more options.

"

Thank you. Sound advice.

Yes, the ‘nifty fifty’ is on the list. I am using my trusty Canon 17-85mm lens which I used on my old 450d, whilst deciding what lenses I actually needed. It’s a good all-rounder I find but it’s good to have opinions of alternatives and additions.

Happy to spend a few quid where needed but, this is only a hobby and I can’t justify really expensive glass that’s rarely used.

Certainly interested in low-light ‘saucy’ pictures and black and white images. Some blurry background type shots. Im admittedly fairly clueless on flash photography beyond the built in one. Some of the Speedlites seem way too complex. All advice appreciated.

Thanks again.

By *unloversCouple  over a year ago

rotherham

Yes I’m also interested in this thread for good advice

Surrey

"

Thank you. Sound advice.

Yes, the ‘nifty fifty’ is on the list. I am using my trusty Canon 17-85mm lens which I used on my old 450d, whilst deciding what lenses I actually needed. It’s a good all-rounder I find but it’s good to have opinions of alternatives and additions.

Happy to spend a few quid where needed but, this is only a hobby and I can’t justify really expensive glass that’s rarely used.

Certainly interested in low-light ‘saucy’ pictures and black and white images. Some blurry background type shots. Im admittedly fairly clueless on flash photography beyond the built in one. Some of the Speedlites seem way too complex. All advice appreciated.

Thanks again. "

Ok if you want shots with nice out of focus background then get the 50mm, although with the crop I'd be more inclined to get a 35mm just so you have a bit more breathing room with your framing. If you can stretch to it get the F1.4 version that'll give you an extra 2/3 of a stop.

Now the flash, honestly watch a few videos, it may seem really complex at first but once you grasp the basics it gets a lots easier.

Or the other option, if you get one of the above lenses, get a tripod, a wireless trigger, put your camera in Apeture priority mode, ramp up your ISO to 3200 or 6400 (not sure how high it goes on yours) and open your aperture right up and providing your not trying to shoot the occupants of a dark/grope room you'll be able to get some good shots without worrying about flash, which can put some people off their stroke if they aren't used to it

Surrey

Right I've got some paperwork to finish, have some grub, then I'll do the first bit of getting better shots with your phone.

And if anyone else has any tips, please feel free to add them

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

Here's my best effort lol, I'm too lazy to do many pics but I do love your avatar, I spotted that one the other day!

...Up on the Downs

"I’d love to see a photography thread, I shoot mostly astrophotography and more recently profile night shots, the process of using flash is somewhat new to me and very much trial and error so anyone who is clued up on lighting techniques and using the correct gels would be really useful to know "

Oh they're fab!!!!

"I’d love to see a photography thread, I shoot mostly astrophotography and more recently profile night shots, the process of using flash is somewhat new to me and very much trial and error so anyone who is clued up on lighting techniques and using the correct gels would be really useful to know

Saw your shots the other day , not tried any astro myself, but I have played with light painting using a continuous light source which came out ok, have a look on lightpaintingphotography.com for some tools "

Awesome! Thankyou

One of those bendy lamps is brilliant for making cunning use of light and shadow.

And the horizontal flip case for my phone is excellent for standing it in place fairly securely before hitting the timer button and running back around the front to strike a pose... and belatedly realising it's been left on selfie

By *cilWoman  over a year ago

Wexford

Looking forward to following this thread. I have an old canon but tend to use my phone more.

By *ilts photo guyMan  over a year ago

swindon

I’m happy to be involved ... probphotographer using full frame Nikon gear .... doing adult and glamour as a break from the wedding / corporate/ family Work ....

Surrey

"I’m happy to be involved ... probphotographer using full frame Nikon gear .... doing adult and glamour as a break from the wedding / corporate/ family Work ...."

Welcome, and thank god there’s another Nikon user here, was beginning to look like a photocopy shop with all these Canons!

Weddings aaagh! only done a couple for friends and family, herding cats was easier! So I certainly doff my cap to all those that do it for a living!

Surrey

"Here's my best effort lol, I'm too lazy to do many pics but I do love your avatar, I spotted that one the other day!

"

Make the effort!

And its a mutual avatar appreciation post - nice lighting

South Oxfordshire

"@Walking Disaster

And thank you.

I may be wrong, but the 450D is quite a few years old now, so high ISO shots will end up quite grainy, and that lens is probably a kit lens and will have a maximum aperture of around F3.5 which isn't great when shooting in low light conditions- again I'm a Nikon man so I'll defer you to that lot over there to help with any of the cameras settings/controls.

But basically you either need to introduce more light into your room or use longer exposures/higher ISO "

Thank you!

...Up on the Downs

"Here's my best effort lol, I'm too lazy to do many pics but I do love your avatar, I spotted that one the other day!

Make the effort!

And its a mutual avatar appreciation post - nice lighting "

Thanks - a combination of strategic desk lamp and deepened photoshop shadows lol!

By *oxic1998Woman  over a year ago

Belfast

"Ok let me preface this by saying, I am in no way claiming to be the last word on photography, I have done photography on and off as a profession for 20 odd years, I've shot most stuff from naked women to industrial fittings (lots of flanges!) More than happy to send non- fab type photos to anyone who would like to see, I am a massive geek when it comes to the tech side, so more than happy to talk FPS, ISO, f-stops with anyone, and for those who are interested i shoot primarily with Nikon gear, and most of my studio lighting equipment is from Lencarta.

"

Your photos are fantastic

Always looking for tips and inspiration. Great thread op.

Now can you make me look like a sexy 20 year old please???

By *rsSBWoman  over a year ago

toy town

"Always looking for tips and inspiration. Great thread op.

Now can you make me look like a sexy 20 year old please??? "

You are a sexy , no matter what age

Brilliant idea op! We post mainly pics quickly taken on phones atm, Fuzz uses a Canon, when our laptop is working but we don't post those! Looking for outdoor inspiration, light is tricky this time of year.

Peach x

By *ofakindCouple  over a year ago

Running with Monkeys

I'm early days in my photography curve, feel I'm getting better in each and every shoot, would love to fire a few shots over to you for critique, or love, or just guidance on where I need to improve

By *ust_for_laughsCouple  over a year ago

Hinckley

Ex-pro photographer here. If anyone want to know how to use a Canon, let me/us know.

OP your pics are great, sorry if i was over zealous in the fabbing.

Most of mine are snapped on camera phones, whilst my children are distracted or asleep.

Could you please share any tips on getting high quality on shadow work or capturing definition in water shots.

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

We like ours just as they are but thank you for the offer OP.

Definitely interested in tips on phone photography. Used to have a DSLR kit (Olympus 4/3) and way too many lenses , and did an evening course, but got fed up with carrying a lot of kit around so gave it up and now probably forgotten more than I learnt !

Surrey

"Ex-pro photographer here. If anyone want to know how to use a Canon, let me/us know."

Welcome

Some great shots on your profile

Lovely E-Type as well

Surrey

"We like ours just as they are but thank you for the offer OP."

OK

Surrey

"Always looking for tips and inspiration. Great thread op.

Now can you make me look like a sexy 20 year old please??? "

Youth is overrated and wasted on the young, and you look plenty sexy to me already.

By *not69Man  over a year ago

Burnley

You have some gorgeous images.

I'm quite new to portrait and boudoir photography in comparison to yourselves. I shoot with

a Nikon D750,

Sigma 24-105 f4

Tokina 100mm f2.8

Nikkor 50mm f1.8

A Godox AD200 based off camera flash system with several modifiers.

I tend to struggle mostly with posing. I know what look I want, but when I get the subject in front of me I freeze. Once I get in the flow of things tho I'm normally ok.

I've done shoots for several fab friends over the past 18 months and have recently been on a beauty to boudoir workshop that was full of useful information and sample poses.

I hotlisted you btw

Surrey

"Brilliant idea op! We post mainly pics quickly taken on phones atm, Fuzz uses a Canon, when our laptop is working but we don't post those! Looking for outdoor inspiration, light is tricky this time of year.

Peach x"

You guys get some great shots with your phone, and you obviously have a creative eye.

For outdoors, maybe try and grab some shots as the sun is just above the horizon you'll get that lovely golden colour that makes everything look great especially if you use it as a backlight and get a nice bit of lens flare.

Love the photo’s OP

Nice thread....I am a devoted Nikon user and wont shoot with anything else!

Surrey

"OP your pics are great, sorry if i was over zealous in the fabbing.

Most of mine are snapped on camera phones, whilst my children are distracted or asleep.

Could you please share any tips on getting high quality on shadow work or capturing definition in water shots.

"

You fab away I may have fabbed one or two of yours recently Love your use of colour, gives you your own style that is instantly recognisable, nice Spit as well

If you hoping to get nice black well defined shadow with a phone i'm afraid you'll really struggle, the sensors are so tiny, which phone is it?

One thing that can help is turning HDR on as you'll get more detail in the highlights and shadows using it, also try and use the AE lock feature this locks the exposure and you can than adjust the exposure before you press the shutter, then its a case of using some software.to get the levels you want. I mainly use Snapspeed and Adobe Lightroom Mobile on my phone - but Instagrams edit feature has a separate shadow and highlight adjustment slider.

By definition in water shots, do you mean reflections?

Hinckley

"Ex-pro photographer here. If anyone want to know how to use a Canon, let me/us know.

Welcome

Lovely E-Type as well "

Thanks! If only the E-Type were ours! A bit like the DB5 that I spotted on someone's drive when I was shooting another model once. A quick knock on the door and it was mine for the afternoon to shoot with

Surrey

"You have some gorgeous images.

I'm quite new to portrait and boudoir photography in comparison to yourselves. I shoot with

a Nikon D750,

Sigma 24-105 f4

Tokina 100mm f2.8

Nikkor 50mm f1.8

I tend to struggle mostly with posing. I know what look I want, but when I get the subject in front of me I freeze. Once I get in the flow of things tho I'm normally ok.

I've done shoots for several fab friends over the past 18 months and have recently been on a beauty to boudoir workshop that was full of useful information and sample poses.

I hotlisted you btw

"

More reinforcements and some nice gear as well

I did a reply near the beginning of the thread about posing, sometimes it just so much easier to show the model how you want them to pose, as my wife mentioned earlier I'm more than happy, to quote Madonna "strike a pose"- yeah you might look a plonker for a few seconds, but its less stressful and can help relax the model and if she's still laughing after you've shown how you want her to pose, grab the camera and get a shot of her laughing it will be a great natural shot that you can show her and she'll find it easier to pose for the rest of the session - most of remember it should be fun for all involved.

Surrey

"Love the photo’s OP "

Thank you theres someone who knows how to pull a sexy pout (8th Sept)

Surrey

"Nice thread....I am a devoted Nikon user and wont shoot with anything else!"

Good man

You fab away I may have fabbed one or two of yours recently Love your use of colour, gives you your own style that is instantly recognisable, nice Spit as well

If you hoping to get nice black well defined shadow with a phone i'm afraid you'll really struggle, the sensors are so tiny, which phone is it?

One thing that can help is turning HDR on as you'll get more detail in the highlights and shadows using it, also try and use the AE lock feature this locks the exposure and you can than adjust the exposure before you press the shutter, then its a case of using some software.to get the levels you want. I mainly use Snapspeed and Adobe Lightroom Mobile on my phone - but Instagrams edit feature has a separate shadow and highlight adjustment slider.

"

Awww thank you kindly

I do have a Minolta Dimage and a *whispers* Canon something lurking in the back of a cupboard somewhere.

Tho the mobiles are easier S6 and a Experia Ultra

I'd like to try to capture the water droplets caressing skin but reflection in that would be amazing too.

Surrey

"Ex-pro photographer here. If anyone want to know how to use a Canon, let me/us know.

Welcome

Lovely E-Type as well

Thanks! If only the E-Type were ours! A bit like the DB5 that I spotted on someone's drive when I was shooting another model once. A quick knock on the door and it was mine for the afternoon to shoot with "

Astons and woman, its a heady combo - V8 Vantage owner

[Removed by poster at 12/09/18 22:07:20]

North by North West

"

Thank you. Sound advice.

Thanks again.

Ok if you want shots with nice out of focus background then get the 50mm, although with the crop I'd be more inclined to get a 35mm just so you have a bit more breathing room with your framing. If you can stretch to it get the F1.4 version that'll give you an extra 2/3 of a stop.

Now the flash, honestly watch a few videos, it may seem really complex at first but once you grasp the basics it gets a lots easier.

Or the other option, if you get one of the above lenses, get a tripod, a wireless trigger, put your camera in Apeture priority mode, ramp up your ISO to 3200 or 6400 (not sure how high it goes on yours) and open your aperture right up and providing your not trying to shoot the occupants of a dark/grope room you'll be able to get some good shots without worrying about flash, which can put some people off their stroke if they aren't used to it "

Thank you. Excellent recommendations and advice. Hugely appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Looked at your pictures just now too. Excellent ! Very inspiring. Great work.

Cheers. .

Surrey

Awww thank you kindly

I do have a Minolta Dimage and a *whispers* Canon something lurking in the back of a cupboard somewhere.

Tho the mobiles are easier S6 and a Experia Ultra

I'd like to try to capture the water droplets caressing skin but reflection in that would be amazing too. "

Right, for the water drops on skin, baby oil on skin, then get a spray bottle - the kind of thing they use in hairdressers for spraying water and fill with a mixture of equal parts glycerine and water, then its a case of trying different spray patterns till you get what your looking for.

As for a reflection inside the water, its not impossible but you'd probably want a macro lens for that.

Hinckley

Top tip for shooting with flash; close your eyes and let the photographer count you in. He/she shoots on 3, you open your eyesat the same time.Chances are you won't blink and after a while you won't need to do it any longer, as you'll be used to shooting with flash.

Ooooo I'd love some photography lessons i just point and shoot whats the best settings for low light ?

Surrey

"I'm early days in my photography curve, feel I'm getting better in each and every shoot, would love to fire a few shots over to you for critique, or love, or just guidance on where I need to improve"

Fire them over, I'll do my best, but I never feel I'm qualified to critique honestly, I hate being mean about other peoples photos and unless someone is paying you to take them, the only thing that matters is how you feel about them. Although most photographers are never truly happy with the results, I know I never am and I'm my own worst critic.

As for improving the best thing is to just shoot as often as you can, try a 365 project (1 photo a day for a year) or a 52 project (1 photo a week) its great for making you shoot, and when the year ends you have a photographic record of how much your shooting has changed.

Hinckley

"Ooooo I'd love some photography lessons i just point and shoot whats the best settings for low light ? "

High ISO (until it's too grainy to work effectively with), low (wide open) aperture, the shortest exposure time you can get away with!

I used to mainly do gig photography years ago, that was the world I lived in!

By *not69Man  over a year ago

Burnley

"You have some gorgeous images.

a Nikon D750,

Sigma 24-105 f4

Tokina 100mm f2.8

Nikkor 50mm f1.8

I hotlisted you btw

More reinforcements and some nice gear as well

I did a reply near the beginning of the thread about posing, sometimes it just so much easier to show the model how you want them to pose, as my wife mentioned earlier I'm more than happy, to quote Madonna "strike a pose"- yeah you might look a plonker for a few seconds, but its less stressful and can help relax the model and if she's still laughing after you've shown how you want her to pose, grab the camera and get a shot of her laughing it will be a great natural shot that you can show her and she'll find it easier to pose for the rest of the session - most of remember it should be fun for all involved."

I always try to make my shoots fun, no one wants a miserable model and I've recently started using the mirror me method of showing what I want. It's remembering the poses. I think que cards may be the answer x

Surrey

"Definitely interested in tips on phone photography. Used to have a DSLR kit (Olympus 4/3) and way too many lenses , and did an evening course, but got fed up with carrying a lot of kit around so gave it up and now probably forgotten more than I learnt ! "

You know the answer? Pick one lens and just go out with that and nothing else, even better if its a prime you'll have to move, rather than simply using the zoom, so you'll find different compositions.

By *eliciousladyWoman  over a year ago

Sometimes U.K

"Couple of quick tips for phone photography or any photography in general

3. Stay Tuned and I'll knock up a quick intro on using the above later on."

Loving this post (although haven’t yet read it all).

Had my Nikon D80 7 years and go through phases of using it, must admit the better pictures are usually when set to auto (sorry)!

My Fabs pics are taken with timer on my iPhone, edit some to b/w and always crop out any background mess..most important.

Is there any particular size for the 5 in 1 you suggest? Am curious when it’s useful, look forward to reading your intro.

"Couple of quick tips for phone photography or any photography in general

3. Stay Tuned and I'll knock up a quick intro on using the above later on.

Loving this post (although haven’t yet read it all).

Had my Nikon D80 7 years and go through phases of using it, must admit the better pictures are usually when set to auto (sorry)!

My Fabs pics are taken with timer on my iPhone, edit some to b/w and always crop out any background mess..most important.

Is there any particular size for the 5 in 1 you suggest? Am curious when it’s useful, look forward to reading your intro. "

Get a 1m one...it's pretty much all you'll ever need. Use them to reflect a bit of light back to fill in shadows or accentuate light with a warmer colour using the gold reflector, for example.

By *1sexypairCouple  over a year ago

Retford

Will keep an eye on the thread,Some good information here.i use a D600 canon mostly use auto.can't seem to get the right picture with any other most come out blur.

Don't get enough time at present to take camera out even at home.

Surrey

"

I always try to make my shoots fun, no one wants a miserable model and I've recently started using the mirror me method of showing what I want. It's remembering the poses. I think que cards may be the answer x"

Just let them move around while you shoot away, and chat while doing it but about a totally unconnected subject, they'll forget the cameras there and you'll get more natural looking photos.

Most people who aren't models find having their photo taken daunting, and throw in some poses that they've never done and it just makes them anxious.

Maybe have them pick out some photos they like - Tumblr is great for finding inspiration, if its something they've chosen they'll more likely find it easier to replicate.

"Ooooo I'd love some photography lessons i just point and shoot whats the best settings for low light ?

High ISO (until it's too grainy to work effectively with), low (wide open) aperture, the shortest exposure time you can get away with!

I used to mainly do gig photography years ago, that was the world I lived in! "

Thank u

Surrey

Ok, just finished collating all the stuff for the reflector and phone tips, I'll post it to my gallery when I've finished typing it up in the morning, but if anyone wants it as a PDF PM me and i'll give you a link to my dropbox.

And thanks to everyone else thats adding tips - keep 'em coming

"I can use the timer on my camera, the thing I can't do is pose! Some ladies pose so sexily, I just feel awkward, I need someone to instruct me which way to turn/lean/place arms etc. "

If you Google "glamour posing guide" you'll find lots of help online. Perhaps also check out your library as they often stock books on photography that have chapters on glamour and posing. Finally, have a go at recreating poses in photos you've seen and like. Natural diffuse light from a large north-facing window perhaps through net curtains can give a very flattering light. If you need to use a flashgun try bouncing the light from a white ceiling, again to give softer lighting. In terms of camera settings use as large an aperture as possible (eg f/2 or f/2.8) when you want a shallow depth of focus, eg to blur the background. A shutter speed of 1/125 sec should be ok. Most modern cameras allow the ISO to be set by the camera automatically, and focus on the appropriate point (usually the subject's eyes). You don't need an expensive set up to take good photos, a digital SLR plus a 50mm lens can be bought from £300 (but if you've got a good camera phone try that first it might be all you need - some of the best photos I've seen have been taken on the spur of the moment with an iPhone during play).

By *he SurveyorMan  over a year ago

Bury

Tidy your room and save money on a hotel room.

South Oxfordshire

"Tidy your room and save money on a hotel room."

Very sorry, but I need my clutter.

Surrey

Morning all!

Nearly finished the piece on reflectors - I'm going to have to put it in Dropbox, as a PDF so if anyone wants a copy drop me a message and i'll give you a link to download it.

Surrey

Ok thats the first one finished - PM for Google Drive link

"Tidy your room and save money on a hotel room.

Very sorry, but I need my clutter."

At least u crop it out most people dont

By *ofakindCouple  over a year ago

Running with Monkeys

"I'm early days in my photography curve, feel I'm getting better in each and every shoot, would love to fire a few shots over to you for critique, or love, or just guidance on where I need to improve

Fire them over, I'll do my best, but I never feel I'm qualified to critique honestly, I hate being mean about other peoples photos and unless someone is paying you to take them, the only thing that matters is how you feel about them. Although most photographers are never truly happy with the results, I know I never am and I'm my own worst critic.

As for improving the best thing is to just shoot as often as you can, try a 365 project (1 photo a day for a year) or a 52 project (1 photo a week) its great for making you shoot, and when the year ends you have a photographic record of how much your shooting has changed."

We're outside your age range

Surrey

Sorted

Northampton Somewhere

Would it be possible to put your tips for taking pics on your phone on here?

Surrey

It’s a 6 page PDF with photos

South Oxfordshire

"Tidy your room and save money on a hotel room.

Very sorry, but I need my clutter.

At least u crop it out most people dont "

Lol, mine were taken in a hotel room!

Northampton Somewhere

"It’s a 6 page PDF with photos "

Oh.....I don't think my phone can cope with such a big document. Must free up some space!!

Surrey

"It’s a 6 page PDF with photos

Oh.....I don't think my phone can cope with such a big document. Must free up some space!!"

I meant I can’t post a pdf on here

"It’s a 6 page PDF with photos

Oh.....I don't think my phone can cope with such a big document. Must free up some space!!"

The PDF manual for my car is 102 pages and that's only 2MB

I find you can capture decent candid shots in low light by filming and extracting stills from the video. Ideally you want a camera with 4k photo mode. Think some of the phones probably have this now. It's a common feature Panasonic micro 4/3rds. The images are somewhat grainy though.

By *bsolutebeginnersCouple  over a year ago

Planet Ork

We only use the phone camera for pictures on here. We’re still not comfortable posing for erotic photos as you can probably tell by viewing our pictures. We have a bridge camera we could use, what’s your opinion on bridge cameras?

Surrey

I’ve never used one sorry

By *esireXposedMan  over a year ago

East sussex

Oops, nearly missed this thread, but waht a great idea, I'm happy to read through, and pick up any tips.

"We only use the phone camera for pictures on here. We’re still not comfortable posing for erotic photos as you can probably tell by viewing our pictures. We have a bridge camera we could use, what’s your opinion on bridge cameras?"

Bridge cameras tend to have one fixed superzoom lens and a smaller digital sensor. They can be convenient to use, and may satisfy your needs. The reasons people would use other cameras include: slightly better quality lens; larger sensor than can take pictures with less grain in lower light; more flexibility with choice of flash.

If you're just posting photos on a website or small prints then these factors might not be important, and the convenience might outweigh them. However, if you find your current pictures to be too grainy in low light situations, or if you want to take photos with shallow depth of focus; take hand-held indoor photos in low light with low grain; or you want to pursue photography as a hobby and enjoy using good equipment; or make large prints then it's probably worth upgrading - but weigh up the costs - over £300 - against staying with your current bridge camera.

By *SophiexCouple  over a year ago

Kilmarnock

As OP will and should probably agree using a camera is not the most important aspect of being a photographer of people...

Camera skills can be taught, putting people at ease and having that ability to get the best out of your subject is the main trait a top photographer has!

As for posing, having modeled professionally for over 10 years I can safely say having fun and enjoying a shoot makes for the very best images...

If your struggling to think how to pose stop over thinking how you look to the photographer, stop worrying about the camera, relax and start to have fun... never take any shoot too seriously unless someone is paying you a lot money and even then enjoy it!

Hinckley

If you're a model, even a non-professional, just for fun one, and have the ability to look through the lens, not at the lens and create a 'relationship' with the photographer, you'll get better images.

If anyone wants to comment in mine you're welcome! Very much an amateur working with self timer!

By *anGarCouple  over a year ago

Greenwich

Wow, a very informative thread, loads of information and different views, as was mentioned previous by a few, have fun in front of the camera, be sexy and alluring, role play and remember that the camera only takes the photos the photographer and model make the photos

PS: Fuji user here

I don't usually get involved in forums... But I thought I would say it's a good thread...

Xxxbibaxxx

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

Anyone in the mids wants some pictures doing, glad to help you out.

Surrey

Doing some new photos later, my do it on cam via the chat rooms later if anyone wants to watch a studio shoot being done

Kudos on your pics OP...if i had 1/10 of your talents id be a lucky guy! (With the camera of course)

I guess....its best to not use your phone!

Surrey

"Kudos on your pics OP...if i had 1/10 of your talents id be a lucky guy! (With the camera of course)

I guess....its best to not use your phone!"

Quite a few of the pics in our profile were done with an iPhone

"Kudos on your pics OP...if i had 1/10 of your talents id be a lucky guy! (With the camera of course)

I guess....its best to not use your phone!"

Theres nothing wrong with using your phone..it works for me

By *bsolutebeginnersCouple  over a year ago

Planet Ork

All of ours are phone photos.

South Oxfordshire

My newest ones were done on my phone.

All mine are done by phone.

Greenwich

"Doing some new photos later, my do it on cam via the chat rooms later if anyone wants to watch a studio shoot being done"

Let us know which room you will be in

I just use my iPhone for my pics on here....is there any apps you recommend?

Excellent pics OP...I also have Domesticated Vixen on my hotlist...well shot pics

Greenwich

"I just use my iPhone for my pics on here....is there any apps you recommend?

Excellent pics OP...I also have Domesticated Vixen on my hotlist...well shot pics "

I would recommend Snapseed as a good editing app

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

I'm on the Affinity forum and have been for 4 years+, have you ever used their software?

Surrey

"I just use my iPhone for my pics on here....is there any apps you recommend?

Excellent pics OP...I also have Domesticated Vixen on my hotlist...well shot pics

I would recommend Snapseed as a good editing app"

Snapspeed or Lightroom mobile for me (might need Adobe CC subscription for that though) Instagrams built in editor isn't too bad either.

Surrey

"I'm on the Affinity forum and have been for 4 years+, have you ever used their software?"

Years ago when it used to be Corel (iirc)

Mainly use Adobe Creative Cloud suite : Lightroom, Photoshop, Premiere & After Effects

Greenwich

I remember back in the day using Paint Shop Pro 4 and Corel Draw

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

"I'm on the Affinity forum and have been for 4 years+, have you ever used their software?

Mainly use Adobe Creative Cloud suite : Lightroom, Photoshop, Premiere & After Effects"

That's a common error. SERIF and their PLUS range are based in Nottingham (Drawplus). Corel is Texas based (Coreldraw).

They've won loads of awards...

Something I'd like to explore is using film again. Downside being the film/developing costs. Any tips from people that develop their own?

Any tips to improve lighting and quality of pictures when you are just using a phone?

Greenwich

"Any tips to improve lighting and quality of pictures when you are just using a phone?"

Sadly with a phone you are quite limited to its internals, however with lighting, you can use the brightness slider, maybe add a filter on it to compliment the quality

You could also play with silhouette's and shadows.

Depends on your phone settings... If you can play with the white balance that will help you achieve natural colours. Also make sure you press the screen on your smart phone of what you want to photograph. This way in auto mode your phone will do its best to achieve the best shot. Get a phone tripod if you've got a shaky hand or there's a bit of movement going on!

By *ineMan  over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

"Something I'd like to explore is using film again. Downside being the film/developing costs. Any tips from people that develop their own? "

Enlargers are cheap on eBay. Dark room can be set up with black out curtains. Harman have web site for film and chemicals. Get a changing bag for transferring film to developer spool and tank. Can set up full dark room for around £200.

Surrey

"Any tips to improve lighting and quality of pictures when you are just using a phone?"

Get a reflector - I have knocked up a little guide on using them with a phone, if you want a copy PM me and I’ll give you (and anyone else that wants a copy) the google drive link

Learn to use the phones AE/AF lock as well it will keep the exposure locked so you can play about with light/shadow easier

Surrey

"I'm on the Affinity forum and have been for 4 years+, have you ever used their software?

Mainly use Adobe Creative Cloud suite : Lightroom, Photoshop, Premiere & After Effects

That's a common error. SERIF and their PLUS range are based in Nottingham (Drawplus). Corel is Texas based (Coreldraw).

They've won loads of awards... "

Close

Been using Adobe for far too long to change now

By *iercedItMan  over a year ago

Mcr

Bookmarking

Do you go for a long or short DoF for intimate pictures?

Do you shot in B&W or convert in post processing?

I'm also keen on using my off camera flash to experiment with different lighting effects.

D700 & Sigma EF-610

I haven't worked out the settings in camera and flash yet.

i'llnever look good in a photo

ive tried it , im in a magazine even photo taken by Rankin

i'm just not photogenic

Greenwich

"

Do you go for a long or short DoF for intimate pictures?

Personally I would say short to medium, blurring what is not important

Shoot in RAW, then process how you wish after.

I'm also keen on using my off camera flash to experiment with different lighting effects.

Off camera lighting is quite simple once you get the hang of how you can manipulate and bounce light.

D700 & Sigma EF-610

I haven't worked out the settings in camera and flash yet.

I would suggest working in manual mode for flash.

Lowest ISO

Shallow - Medium DoF (F5.6 - F8)

1/125 or 1/250 shutter depending on your flash.

Adjust the power of the flash as necessary

"

Great thread OP!

"Something I'd like to explore is using film again. Downside being the film/developing costs. Any tips from people that develop their own?

Enlargers are cheap on eBay. Dark room can be set up with black out curtains. Harman have web site for film and chemicals. Get a changing bag for transferring film to developer spool and tank. Can set up full dark room for around £200."

Cheers for advice, will look into it

Surrey

"Do you go for a long or short DoF for intimate pictures?

D700 & Sigma EF-610

I haven't worked out the settings in camera and flash yet."

If I can remember, i think this is how - Put your onboard flash into TTL, Master, group A then select through until you have -- next to it (Master) you can now use your onboard as a remote controller for your Sigma flash.

The Nikon system is a piece of cake once you've got the basics.

To start with I'd shoot using it in Aperture priority, yes yes manual is best to really understand, but its one less thing to think about, and Nikons TTL system is really good, it will then sort the shutter speed out for you, up to the max sync speed (1/250th on yours) unless you activate HSS then you can shoot up to 1/4000th - good for shooting in sunny spots. Then just use your exposure compensation to suit.

Get a cheap shoot through umbrella + light stand to go with your flash, or a medium soft box, you'll get much better results - bigger the light source the softer the light.

I always find it easier to watch and learn, especially with something visual.

Joe McNally is well worth looking up, a Nikon pro for over 40 years, and helped develop the Nikon Speedlite system - His books The Hot Shoe Diaries, The Moment it Clicks and Sketching Light are all worth a read if you want to learn about off camera flash.

To quote Chicago, give them just enough to get them going but always leave them wanting more.

Surrey

"Great thread OP! "

Thanks

You have some nice shots on your profile, and another(part) Nikon shooter, please feel free to add any tips you might feel helpful

Surrey

Be shooting in about an hour or so, and will fire up the webcam, so if anyone wants to watch or get me to show something, fire away with any questions - I'll post what room we are in.

Greenwich

"To quote Chicago, give them just enough to get them going but always leave them wanting more."

I completely agree

By *iamondCougarWoman  over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

Mine are all ( or mostly) selfies taken with my iPhone 7

I do use a light filter app

I think they look ok but would welcome and comments or tips OP

By *iamondCougarWoman  over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

" I'm a massive Jack Vettriano fan "

Me too!

Anyone's going to the photokina by any chance?

Surrey

"Anyone's going to the photokina by any chance? "

Daren't, I'd spend way too much money and then have to spend the same again in shoes & handbags for the wife

Greenwich

Where do people get their inspiration for the photos they take ?

Which is the one you are most proud of?

By *ySweetLadyWoman  over a year ago

London

Loving this thread

By *ily Con CarneTV/TS  over a year ago

Cornwall

Wish someone would take some for me... I struggle with the camera on the phone ... meh

....looking for someone with one of those lenses that make one look 25 years old lol

Hey TogNMuse,

Great thread and jam packed with useful tips! Thanks and thanks to everyone else that had posted.

We use both a dslr (canon) and our phones. Someone once said that the best camera you can use is the one you have to hand and so think that there’s an element of truth in that.

We tend to take most of our pics on an iPhone with a Bluetooth selfie stick, but when we do use the canon we use a remote trigger to fire it so that we can be in position without needing a third, although having a third is always fun.

We’d say to people, take your time and have fun with your photography. We’ve seen so many blurred and rushed snaps on here that it’s painful sometimes, take your time with them.

Also, thanks to digital, you can take loads in search of the perfect one, and don’t be shy to do so, you want the best pics possible and the chances of nailing it with one snap is very remote. Take lots, going through them can be fun and HOT too as you search for the right one to post.

And finally, on a more personal note - _ognmuse - we’d love to chat

Surrey

Hi

You 2 always look like your having such great fun

Feel free to drop us a message

» Add a new message to this topic