FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > kefalonia

kefalonia

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

been invited to a wedding in kefalonia next june, found where it is on google maps, never heard of it up to the invite coming in the post...anyone know anything about the place ???

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Its lovely there. One down from Corfu,One up from Zante. Quieter than the other two but has a couple of hotspots

I believe Captain Corelli's Mandolin was filmed there

"Its lovely there. One down from Corfu,One up from Zante. Quieter than the other two but has a couple of hotspots

I believe Captain Corelli's Mandolin was filmed there"

really ... must look out for the location and pay a visit

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I thought it was a greek stew

Most of the buildings on the island were destroyed in an earthquake in the 1950's and only a few villages in the North of the Island survived. Fiskardo is the largest and has a great harbour with cafes and restaurants around it. The main tourist areas are around the south of the Island and if its a family holiday then Skala is great and has a really good beach for little ones. It's not a big island and we hired a car to get about which was worth the investment. Captain Corelli's Mandolin is situated on the Island but had to recreate the pre earthquake locations... so you might not recognise much from the film in reality.

"Most of the buildings on the island were destroyed in an earthquake in the 1950's and only a few villages in the North of the Island survived. Fiskardo is the largest and has a great harbour with cafes and restaurants around it. The main tourist areas are around the south of the Island and if its a family holiday then Skala is great and has a really good beach for little ones. It's not a big island and we hired a car to get about which was worth the investment. Captain Corelli's Mandolin is situated on the Island but had to recreate the pre earthquake locations... so you might not recognise much from the film in reality. "

thanks ... thats really helpful ... also explains why we have been advised to stay in the south of the island when the actual wedding is in the north

Stayed in Skala in the south this summer. Fantastic place

ok ... we now booked in ... staying in Lourdas ... any info please ??

great deal tho .... thomson, 4 star, b&b, nice pool, all flights etc and in school holidays £399 per person .... bargain or what ???

Been to Skala several times, but not for a good few years now. Can be a really chilled out place outside of the school holidays. If you walk down the beach heading west, you will come across a section frequented by naturists. The capital Argostoli will be the busiest for night life though, as this is where the 'natives' seem to congregate.

Captain Corelli's Mandolin was mainly filmed in Sami on the East coast of the island, but if it is still as quiet as it was when I visited (pre CCM)then I wouldn't bother. As there are a lot of small coves on the island that are only accessible by foot, if you fancy a spot of nude sunbathing you should be able to find somewhere. From memory, Lourdas is a little further west of Skala, and is very quiet with a few tavernas and restaurants, but good for chilling out. Have a great time!

"Been to Skala several times, but not for a good few years now. Can be a really chilled out place outside of the school holidays. If you walk down the beach heading west, you will come across a section frequented by naturists. The capital Argostoli will be the busiest for night life though, as this is where the 'natives' seem to congregate.

Captain Corelli's Mandolin was mainly filmed in Sami on the East coast of the island, but if it is still as quiet as it was when I visited (pre CCM)then I wouldn't bother. As there are a lot of small coves on the island that are only accessible by foot, if you fancy a spot of nude sunbathing you should be able to find somewhere. From memory, Lourdas is a little further west of Skala, and is very quiet with a few tavernas and restaurants, but good for chilling out. Have a great time! "

thanks for the excellent information

By *anderer2018Man  over a year ago

Bangkok

Captain Corellis Film set has all been dismantled from memory, I went to Kefalonia about 7 years ago, I had my first earthquake experience there! It has around 200 earthquakes a year most are very small and generally located at the north of the island!

Lourdas is nice but the beach is down a very steep hill from memory.

The capital is easy to get to and good to go for the day for shopping and cafes and bars! X

It's a lovely little island. Was there this summer and found the place enchanting.

» Add a new message to this topic