FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Free Speech

Free Speech

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *tomCom OP   Man  over a year ago

Wellingborough

Do we live in a country on free speech?

I think it really depends on your definition of free speech and offensive Speech. The issue then is what is offensive speech? As we all know nearly everything we say are going to offended someone somewhere in the world.

So who decides what is offensive enough to counted as not allowed?

Question really is would you want to live in a country of free speech?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

By and large we do live in a country with free speech.

But with it comes consequences, if you can't deal with these keep your mouth shut.

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

We don't have laws protecting freedom of speech here like they do in the United States. We have laws protecting freedom of expression, a different thing.

We may not like hearing opinions that don't agree with ours, but with the internet we really don't have a choice. As long as people aren't being harmed actively (and I don't just mean hurt feelings) then its the price to pay for living in a reasonably democratic country.

Just my opinion, of course.

Wellingborough

"We don't have laws protecting freedom of speech here like they do in the United States. We have laws protecting freedom of expression, a different thing.

We may not like hearing opinions that don't agree with ours, but with the internet we really don't have a choice. As long as people aren't being harmed actively (and I don't just mean hurt feelings) then its the price to pay for living in a reasonably democratic country.

Just my opinion, of course. "

What is the freedom of expression? Does this mean we can expression I opinion without the fear of prosecution?

By *etitesaraTV/TS  over a year ago

rochdale

As Joe Strummer once said..

"Know your rights, part 1.

You have the right, to free speech..

..so long as you're not dumb enough, to actually try it!"

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

I can say what I like, when I like...

just need to choose the audience.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"We don't have laws protecting freedom of speech here like they do in the United States. We have laws protecting freedom of expression, a different thing.

What is the freedom of expression? Does this mean we can expression I opinion without the fear of prosecution? "

there is no freedom without guidlines and laws. These are what allow us to live our daily lives without fear of offense be it mental or physical.

Wellingborough

What is the freedom of expression? Does this mean we can expression I opinion without the fear of prosecution?

there is no freedom without guidlines and laws. These are what allow us to live our daily lives without fear of offense be it mental or physical."

But who decides what is offensive?

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

"What is the freedom of expression? Does this mean we can expression I opinion without the fear of prosecution? "

Freedom of religious, political and sexual expression mainly, without prejudice from others. The Equal Rights Act was changed earlier this decade to protect religious holidays and GLBT rights. It's also the main reason why the BNP aren't constantly prosecuted for racism. On the other hand, the EC laws over ride it to some extent (although theirs are similar), which is why the BNP now have to have a certain percentage of non-whites.

There are still libel and slander laws. Data Protection Act, and various others that cover what we can and cannot say, but I can call the Government a bunch of overpaid nincompoops without being dragged to a cell and beaten up.

BRB, someone banging at the door.....

» Add a new message to this topic