FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Oh dear ........ I need a man's advice.

Oh dear ........ I need a man's advice.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

My son has asked me can he please have a shaver for Christmas.

Normally I'd ask his older brother to visit home and help me, but his older brother hardly has to shave from week to week, let alone daily!

He said he's been using one of his brother's razors he found in the bathroom to try and keep his 'tache down.

Poor guy, I think he's a bit self conscious about his need to shave ...... he's only thirteen.

What do I go for, what will he need?

I don't fancy the thought of him ripping away at his face with razors every morning.

I really would appreciate some advice.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

shaving gel, good razor and a steady hand...

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

and I shave towards the hair... but I think you are supposed to shave with the hair....

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I don't think he needs anything to fancy at that age just get him a mid range one as it will still be bum fluff unless he's like grizzly adams.

I started shaving at 14...always wet shaved...I like the glow...

You learn to avoid cuts....he won`t do to much harm...a few scars add character anyway %*

"shaving gel, good razor and a steady hand..."

I'm afraid to let him loose with them of a morning as he doesn't really wake up till he's on the school bus. I was wondering about an electric one, rotary? foil? floating heads? ..... fekk am confused. xx

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

never had an electric one, maybe a good idea tho

"and I shave towards the hair... but I think you are supposed to shave with the hair....

"

Think an old barber told me with the hair to start....followed by against the hair fer a really close shave..I think..pretty sure..

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

I am getting a warm glow at the thought of me answering on a 'mans advice' thread

[Removed by poster at 01/12/11 18:30:05]

Tell him he has to learn how to shave his nuts before he can shave his face. He won't ever cut himself, trust me.

"Tell him he has to learn how to shave his nuts before he can shave his face. He won't ever cut himself, trust me. "

ffs .... I'd rather give him a balloon covered in foam to practice on!

"I am getting a warm glow at the thought of me answering on a 'mans advice' thread "

lmao@ "Uncle View" .... you'd crick your neck trying to face him eye to eye now!

Laine how about looking at those Remington electric shavers to start with?

I got one when I was younger and it kept the old face fuzz under control.

I wouldnt have wanted to tackle a Mach 3 at that age.

"My son has asked me can he please have a shaver for Christmas.

Normally I'd ask his older brother to visit home and help me, but his older brother hardly has to shave from week to week, let alone daily!

He said he's been using one of his brother's razors he found in the bathroom to try and keep his 'tache down.

Poor guy, I think he's a bit self conscious about his need to shave ...... he's only thirteen.

I don't fancy the thought of him ripping away at his face with razors every morning.

I really would appreciate some advice."

You can always plump for an electric razor but I prefer wet shaving.

Today's modern razors are so easy to use and I can't remember the last time I cut myself, I've used a Gillete Sensor for about ten years and find that fine, I can only think the newer models are even safer. Avoid disposables you might as well shave with a guillotine.

The best time to shave is after a hot bath or shower, I'm very lazy I always shave when having a bath.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I know im not a man, but i had the same trouble with callum cause he was only young. He ended up just using a wet razor and still does. They will struggle to start with but after a while he will pick the idea up

Seems the popular choice is to wet shave, I'll have to be brave and arm him with a mach3, shave gel and cross my fingers!

How does it affect your faces, does it dry your skin, will he need balm?

I shave, but not my face.

By *odareyouMan  over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

I wet shave prefer the result, I have used electric when I was younger, I found the rotary ones pulled rather than cut the wispy bum fluff hair, not pleasant, never tried the foil razors, if he wet shaves definitely with the hair first cut, if you want baby bum smooth then against second cut....

I've two girls so may be asking for advice regarding their needs soon... best of luck..xx

Mach 3 are great but wet shaving is a faff. I only get a wet shave on special occasions, in fact nowadays I only shave on special occasions, otherwise I don't bother at all. I wish someone would bring something out which stops facial hairs from growing at all

The Braun range of electric shavers are good - will cost you 100 quid or more though

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"Seems the popular choice is to wet shave, I'll have to be brave and arm him with a mach3, shave gel and cross my fingers!

How does it affect your faces, does it dry your skin, will he need balm?

I shave, but not my face. "

Nivea.

always been my friend

"I shave, but not my face. "

I noticed - you had a canny 'tash last time I saw you

"I shave, but not my face.

I noticed - you had a canny 'tash last time I saw you "

You shouldn't have had your head up my kilt! xxx

By *toneblueMan  over a year ago

Southampton

I've never got on with wet shaving, it made me sore when I was young and now I'm older razors just aren't up to the job, my hairs are too Desperate Dan for them.

I'd suggest a foil shaver, just get a cheap one to see how he gets on with it.

You can get battery powered ones for travel, I have a Philips rotary one I take to hotels now after leaving two expensive ones in various places. It cost 16 quid from B**ts.

By *odareyouMan  over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

"Mach 3 are great but wet shaving is a faff. I only get a wet shave on special occasions, in fact nowadays I only shave on special occasions, otherwise I don't bother at all. I wish someone would bring something out which stops facial hairs from growing at all

The Braun range of electric shavers are good - will cost you 100 quid or more though"

You can have laser treatment that stops growth, you have to go several times over a period of weeks, not sure how much but its private treatment..

"Mach 3 are great but wet shaving is a faff. I only get a wet shave on special occasions, in fact nowadays I only shave on special occasions, otherwise I don't bother at all. I wish someone would bring something out which stops facial hairs from growing at all

The Braun range of electric shavers are good - will cost you 100 quid or more though

You can have laser treatment that stops growth, you have to go several times over a period of weeks, not sure how much but its private treatment.. "

if he is anything like his dad was he'd have to be laser'd head to foot!

I wet shave every morning from my nose, straight over the top to my neck.

I swear by Gillette Fusion. My noggin is smoother than any fanny I've ever felt bar none, so you wont get a better testamonial than that.

Philips rotary or Braun foil shavers are ok for a quicky, but he'll appreciate learning to wet shave.

After all, it's what blokes do

Laine our kid uses Nivea after shaving.. he is 16 but used it since 14 and he loves it lol.. also he has used the gilette fusion with a shave gel.. never had any bother with him no cuts etc..and wouldnt recommend an electric razor on such a young face.. so my dad told me its not good for ye lol.. hope this helps from 1 mother to another

its taking me years to get my shave routine down

i started with razors which i didnt need to looking back. get ur boy his first electric. a remington R91 is perfect for the job. £15.99 in Argos last time i checked

By *rummpsMan  over a year ago

thanet

"I've never got on with wet shaving, it made me sore when I was young and now I'm older razors just aren't up to the job, my hairs are too Desperate Dan for them.

I'd suggest a foil shaver, just get a cheap one to see how he gets on with it.

You can get battery powered ones for travel, I have a Philips rotary one I take to hotels now after leaving two expensive ones in various places. It cost 16 quid from B**ts."

I'd agree with that. Wet shaving gave me many a rash when I first started so have used electric ever since.However, for something special I'll use a blade but with oil not foam.

As for his first electric, sure go for cheap but choose a well known brand. Philips, Remington etc.

_rummps x

"Laine our kid uses Nivea after shaving.. he is 16 but used it since 14 and he loves it lol.. also he has used the gilette fusion with a shave gel.. never had any bother with him no cuts etc..and wouldnt recommend an electric razor on such a young face.. so my dad told me its not good for ye lol.. hope this helps from 1 mother to another "

...it's okay to scrape a razor over our fannies though .... mine must be as tough as an old boot then!

decent razor.. a shite one will only screw his skin up late. ive always preferred foam over gel, but either is good, and get a post shave balm, dont want shave rash!!

Thank you ladies and gents for all your advice, given me a bit to think about and hopefully we'll have titch's 'tache under control soon. xxxxx

By *ortheastcoupleukCouple  over a year ago

easington were the sun dont shine

You shouldn't have had your head up my kilt! xxx"

are you 2 tarton

You shouldn't have had your head up my kilt! xxxare you 2 tarton "

aye tart1 and tart2

A shaving gel for sensitive skin is important Nivea is very good.

A good safe razor is Gillette Fusion.

Before shaving it would be wise to use a warm to hot damp flannel.

He should not shave against the grain at 1st as that can cause a rash on sensitive skin.

After shaving a good balm again Nivea is good. They do sets with gel and balm.

After a few shaves the sensitivity will die down.

Try not to use anything with scent or alcohol direct on young skin.

If he wants to smell nice gents eau d'toilette applied on the neck where he has not shaved.

thanks for the advice all...I cant wait to start shaving..I wanna pink lady shave for chrimbo tho

Thank you dunebather ...... think he'll be getting a gift basket from boots lol xx

Try Asda and Tesco too they do NIvea and Gillette set.

"shaving gel, good razor and a steady hand...

I'm afraid to let him loose with them of a morning as he doesn't really wake up till he's on the school bus. I was wondering about an electric one, rotary? foil? floating heads? ..... fekk am confused. xx "

I had a rotary when I started, did the job till it got a bit more coarse

fcuk using a fusion or any razor at 13

electric electric electric

He can probably shave at night, give the cuts a chance to heal up. Always use water as hot as he can stand, go with the gtain of the hair on the face and against on the neck. Rince the razor regularly and after shaving and washing the foam off, rince with cold water (if you dont give him after shave). And take his time, no need to rush....

I learned using an old T Bar safety razor, certainly taught me to pay attention..

"fcuk using a fusion or any razor at 13

electric electric electric"

By *rummpsMan  over a year ago

thanet

"fcuk using a fusion or any razor at 13

electric electric electric"

Best advice.

_rummps x

Get him one with an adjustable head and set it to soft, plenty of gel as well so it will be a little more of a massage than a shave

It's a Braun he needs Kev, not a Hitachi!

"It's a Braun he needs Kev, not a Hitachi! "

I try and help and be nice for once

I started shaving when I was 14. I used a wet shaver for years but used to cut my face and neck quite a bit as I had a bit of acne.

I tried various electric shavers such as the Braun (Foil Type) shaver but found they had little effect on my course stubble.

Later on in my 20's / 30's I had the opportunity to try a rotary shaver and was amazed at the result and I didn't cut my face to pieces.

For closer shaves I first use my rotary shave to remove the majority of facial hair and then I finish off with a Gillette Fusion shaver used in conjunction with shaving gel.

I would recommend that you buy your son one of the cheaper rotary shavers to see how he takes to it.

I have a Philips HQ130/16 Electric Shaver which is battery operated and which I use for holidays and weekends away. They are listed on Amazon. They cost about £12.00 and would be my recommendation for your son. If it doesn't work our you've only wasted £12.00 but I'm sure he will find it perfect.

Hope this is of use to you.

Regards

Dunno what you are worrying for if he has already started borrowing bro's. Get him the same one but latest model, surely he will be chuffed.

oops, sorry that was tigress replying, but I do have two grown sons.

By *ittlemorespiceCouple  over a year ago

North Cornwall

Those Remington rotary three blade thingys are great and seem pretty safe.

By *adcowWoman  over a year ago

kirkcaldy

"Tell him he has to learn how to shave his nuts before he can shave his face. He won't ever cut himself, trust me.

ffs .... I'd rather give him a balloon covered in foam to practice on! "

thats how my old grandad had me learn with his cut throat like the barber had before he would let me near his face- the balloon i mean lol tho dunno who got the bigger fright him or me every time he heard one pop lol

and after 19 yr in care profession giving the men their morning shaves i never drew blood one one yet !!!

Oh sorry you said man xx

By *ever been kissedMan  over a year ago

Middlesbrough

bless his lil cotton socks

how about convincing him to not shave for the time being at least. nothing wrong with having whiskers at school...

kept my virginity intact thru my teenage years

ohhh wait..

By *arambarMan  over a year ago

swindon

If you go electric then buy a decent brand. Philips and Braun are both good (I have a fab Philishave rotary thing now and I love it!). I would steer clear of Panasonic... I had one when I was younger and it was shit. It put me off using an electric shaver for donkey's years as I thought they were all that bad. It wasn't until I tried the rotary Philishave one I have now that I realised that a good electric shaver can - if your face is disposed for electric shavers - be almost as good as a wet shave.

If you opt for the wet shave route then I can recommend some antibacterial shaving gel by King of Shaves. Carambar Jr uses it as he gets spots occasionally which were getting aggravated when he'd use my bog standard Gilette foam. Also, as previously mentioned several times, get the Nivea soothing balm... to be honest, he won't need it yet if he's just shaving his tache, but once he starts needing to shave his neck then he'll be very pleased to have it.

You can also get him some after shave too. I recommend Cologne by Thierry Mugler. It smells nice and none of his mates will wear it, so he'll stand out from the crowd when he's at the school disco.

Oh.... and another thing (I'm on a roll tonight!) - although this isn't really about shaving, but just about teenage sons in general - if he's getting shiny skin from his sebaceous glands going into overdrive, then look into getting him a tube of L'Oreal Men Expert Pure and Matte. It's not cheap for such a small tube, but it works wonders and he'll only need a teeny tiny amount spread over the worst areas (forehead and nose).

Cheers Carambar, i,ll bear that in mind about the

Loreal for his spots. I purchased a Braun battery operated shaver for him today, he cant cut himself or blow himself up with that! Xxx

By *oole2010Couple  over a year ago

southampto

wet shave against the grain gel mach 3 or fusion with a new blade he shouldnt cut himself try gillettes site it may show him how to shave and when he nicks himself and bleeds a little he will know when to change the blade lol its a learning curve for all us men ive tried electric razors went back to wet in my opinion cant beat it

» Add a new message to this topic