FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Is petrol by BP/ESSO etc better for your car than supermarket Petrol?

Is petrol by BP/ESSO etc better for your car than supermarket Petrol?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *UNCHBOX OP   Man  over a year ago

folkestone

I was talking to someone i work with today, and he said he wont put supermarket petrol in his car because he thinks the branded petrol does less damage to his engine. Does anyone know if this is true?.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

Made a right mess of my seat covers last time i put petrol in the car.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

have to admit ive heard that too, and i also stick to esso/bp but that could have been a _umour started by the big conglomerates.

I have heard this before, but the guy that said it was so anti...supermarkets I ignored him...So to answer your question....I don't know !!...lol

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

doesnt it all come from the same place just branded differently??

Petrol heads will tell you branded fuels are cleaner and therefore, better for the engines than generic ones from supermarkets.

Whether it is true or not I do not know.

"doesnt it all come from the same place just branded differently??"

Yes, Tesco don't own any oil refineries, I've used their fuel for 15 odd years now, no problems so far.

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Is it not like the high end and value stuff in supermarkets... Same product but different packaging?

I run a petrol and diesel cars on supermarket fuel from Morrison's and Tesco. I am told the engine management systems automatically adjust to suit the fuel. Over 10 years I have had no issues at service intervals.

Unless you're running a Ferrari, Lambo etc. Standard fuel is fine.

Correct service intervals is the main thing.

"Unless you're running a Ferrari, Lambo etc. Standard fuel is fine.

Correct service intervals is the main thing."

Ohhh regular servicing is always good it keeps the engine ticking over and the va va voom...

"I was talking to someone i work with today, and he said he wont put supermarket petrol in his car because he thinks the branded petrol does less damage to his engine. Does anyone know if this is true?. "

The fuel is of the same octane but the additives can be different. I have heard the same in the past and heard _umours but there is no definitive proof and some say its a cynical lie put out by companies who charge more for fuel.

I look on it like this. We have yet to see anyone sue a supermarket for damage to a car. Now if there was any real evidence the no win no fee shysters would be in on the act suing the shit out of Tesco’s, Asda etc. I have a Evo FQ-360 and put both in mine. Its more important not to run the dregs of your tank through the injectors.

Ohhh regular servicing is always good it keeps the engine ticking over and the va va voom... "

Yes, as long as you warm it correctly it can go on for ages.

Well I remember a few months a guy seeing a BP tanker at our local Asda so I think all the major supermarkets get there fulel from the big boys anyway

By *arambarMan  over a year ago

swindon

For non-high performance cars supermarket fuel is fine.

As already mentioned, it doesn't contain the same additives as branded fuels, but it comes from the same refineries.

There was a case a few years back where some batches of Morrisson's petrol were thought to be dodgy... I'll see if I can find the details again.

I use Asda petrol in my Lexus 90% of the time. Occasionally I'll use Shell, but even then I don't go for Optimax.

"Well I remember a few months a guy seeing a BP tanker at our local Asda so I think all the major supermarkets get there fulel from the big boys anyway"

That doesn't mean a lot because they may be delivering but its not always what they deliver to the BP stations.

Bradford

"I was talking to someone i work with today, and he said he wont put supermarket petrol in his car because he thinks the branded petrol does less damage to his engine. Does anyone know if this is true?.

The fuel is of the same octane but the additives can be different. I have heard the same in the past and heard _umours but there is no definitive proof and some say its a cynical lie put out by companies who charge more for fuel.

I look on it like this. We have yet to see anyone sue a supermarket for damage to a car. Now if there was any real evidence the no win no fee shysters would be in on the act suing the shit out of Tesco’s, Asda etc. I have a Evo FQ-360 and put both in mine. Its more important not to run the dregs of your tank through the injectors.

"

Ah Evo...like shit off a shovel, perhaps you would be better suing the shit out of Tesco's?

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

"I was talking to someone i work with today, and he said he wont put supermarket petrol in his car because he thinks the branded petrol does less damage to his engine. Does anyone know if this is true?.

Ah Evo...like shit off a shovel, perhaps you would be better suing the shit out of Tesco's?"

Don't forget the FQ-360 bit.....

Ohhh regular servicing is always good it keeps the engine ticking over and the va va voom...

Yes, as long as you warm it correctly it can go on for ages. "

Yes of course.. A bit of anti freeze...

At one time (not sure if the same applies now) ASDA petrol was delivered in BP tankers.

I've no reason to imagine that the petrol flogged by the supermarkets is any different to what you'd get from a normal filling station - only it's a couple of pence per litre cheaper

Ah Evo...like shit off a shovel, perhaps you would be better suing the shit out of Tesco's?

Don't forget the FQ-360 bit....."

You got it lemon lips

Bradford

Having read a couple of car owners' forums, there was a consensus amongst owners who had conducted trials ( limited sample maybe ) that branded fuels with the additional additives DID result in better performance and slightly increased fuel efficiency eg say upto 46mph from 43-44 previously.

So, maybe cost effective at around £1.40 a litre.

Yes of course.. A bit of anti freeze... "

and the correct lubricant

Bradford

Don't forget the FQ-360 bit.....

You got it lemon lips "

Does 360 represent donutting?

and the correct lubricant"

Oh a bit of wd40

By *ercedes62Woman  over a year ago

Northampton

I use the Esso fuel in my sports car as its the higher octane and i find the fuel economy better which is all to do with the ant-knock properties

Always been told its cleaner fuel but dont know for sure.

Oh a bit of wd40 "

Nooooooooo, that stings.

Oh a bit of wd40

Nooooooooo, that stings."

Oh you tried it?

swindon

Oh a bit of wd40

Nooooooooo, that stings."

I think you're not using that wee straw that comes with it correctly!

Bradford

"I use the Esso fuel in my sports car as its the higher octane and i find the fuel economy better which is all to do with the ant-knock properties

Always been told its cleaner fuel but dont know for sure.

"

The cleaner fuel is a banana or two and yer bicycle.

Can't beat a good bi cycle (apparently, so i'm told.)

Oh a bit of wd40

Nooooooooo, that stings.

Oh you tried it? "

Lets not go there, all I can say is, always wear the correct clothing.

Bradford

I detect a cunning plan in Cushy's thinking. By the time he's warmed it up, run it in he'll be trading it in for a newer model.

"

I detect a cunning plan in Cushy's thinking. By the time he's warmed it up, run it in he'll be trading it in for a newer model. "

I just spat out my coffee...

as an ex mechanic of 18years i asure u al petrol is petrol full stop regular health checks and adjustments is the answer

I run a Porsche Boxster 3.2S on Supermarket Fuel. The car adjusts itself automatically to the fuel. I have checked and although Porsche recommend a branded fuel they say that with regular servicing it makes no difference.

By *ytraCouple  over a year ago

Wrexham

TBH our car runs a lot better and is a lot more economical when we use shell or total fuels, the supermarket fuel and BP fuel just seems to run straight through, we can easily get an extra 10 -15 mpg using shell (good thing is shell by us is the same price as tesco)

Bradford

I don't know why i'm posting anyway , mine is diesel

Northampton

"I run a Porsche Boxster 3.2S on Supermarket Fuel. The car adjusts itself automatically to the fuel. I have checked and although Porsche recommend a branded fuel they say that with regular servicing it makes no difference."

I get better economy from a 3.5L on the esso higher octane

To be honest, I have never had a problem with supermarket petrol though I did once use a place I had not gone to before and it really showed that it was crap, not sure what it was but they filter their petrol through sand

A work colleague was once got his car repaired courtesy of Tesco's following a bad batch that wrecked his engine but Ive used them and never had a problem

Currently I use a Tesco's express I think it is that was a BP garage, no problems at all

Torquay

"TBH our car runs a lot better and is a lot more economical when we use shell or total fuels, the supermarket fuel and BP fuel just seems to run straight through, we can easily get an extra 10 -15 mpg using shell (good thing is shell by us is the same price as tesco)"

I think if ANY fuel company could promise an extra 10-15 mpg if you used their fuel...NO-ONE would use anything else.

Blimey with all this talk of regular servicing and lubricant !! I'm coming over all unnecessary...

Yeah, its a defo..... i use shell vpower high octane, not sure it makes the car go any faster, but i think my mpg is slightly up on the supermarket fuel.

Follow a car using cheapo petrol....they smell like old mens farts.

checkout... honesjohn.co.uk

For info on petrol & loads more useful info to do with cars... parking fines, best buy cars, diesel or petrol... a cracking petrolhead site.

Wrexham

"

I think if ANY fuel company could promise an extra 10-15 mpg if you used their fuel...NO-ONE would use anything else.

"

As far as i am aware they dont promise the extra, it is just that our car for some reason seems to love shell fuel and we genuinely do see a vast improvement in economy, next time we fill i will have to work it out properly, thinking about it i have over estimated it and it is about 7-10mpg better off (i think)

"

"

I tend to agree with that statement

i used to only use shell fuel and tesco fuel no probs, then i moved and the closest place was a BP, i now go further for my fuel because there has been nothing but "dodgy batches" of fuel at the BP near me since i moved hear, damn near killed my bike and almost had me hit up the arse by an artic on the M11. so i would say as i have had no problems with tesco or shell but nothing but problems with bp.. that bp are shit go anywhere else! lol ( not to mention poor customer service)

swindon

"

I tend to agree with that statement "

I need to find this place quickly. I only get about 24mpg outta my car. I'd love to get nearly 40mpg and not have to drive a diesel or a Smart car.

When I'm on a dark country road and low on petrol I don't really give a fuck which petrol station I next come across, so long as there is one before I run out of fuel!

Torquay

"When I'm on a dark country road and low on petrol I don't really give a fuck which petrol station I next come across, so long as there is one before I run out of fuel!"

Yeah...but....If you had been using Shell and getting 10-15 miles a gallon extra you wouldn't be running out!

"

I tend to agree with that statement

I need to find this place quickly. I only get about 24mpg outta my car. I'd love to get nearly 40mpg and not have to drive a diesel or a Smart car."

Me too, I currently get 55.4ish out of my Peugeot 207 diesel but I'd love to bump it up to 70 or thereabouts

Wrexham

Ok now worked it out and it is a bit lower than i thought, it varies between 6 and 10mpg more depending on the station used shell gives us about 39mpg, total gives about 42mpg and supermarket 34mpg have not used BP for a couple of years as it is lower than supermarket.

swindon

I loves my car, like really loves it... but it drinks petrol like you wouldn't believe.

It might have something to do with my heavy right foot though

"When I'm on a dark country road and low on petrol I don't really give a fuck which petrol station I next come across, so long as there is one before I run out of fuel!

Yeah...but....If you had been using Shell and getting 10-15 miles a gallon extra you wouldn't be running out!

"

I've used Shell for years as I collected the Airmiles but they've changed them to something else now and are worth half as much as they were. We've switched to Sainsburys as we get the Nectar points for that. Adds up you know, over the year we've collected enough points to do our Xmas shop in a couple of weeks and it won't cost us a penny.

I use to drive a fuel tanker and can tell you that it's all the same esso bp shell ect ect the only difference is from which refinery it cam from..

By *amschwingerzCouple  over a year ago

West

"doesnt it all come from the same place just branded differently??"

Yep spot on...

Wrexham

At the end of the day everybody seems to have their own opinions about which fuel is better, all you have to do is a web search and you will find hundreds of comments and reviews etc. Looking around earlier it does seem that even though it might come from a main refinery the quality is different between different forecourts

If its a big turnover garage the only thing to avoid is filling up while they're refilling the tanks.

By *orkieMan  over a year ago

Who knows

"I was talking to someone i work with today, and he said he wont put supermarket petrol in his car because he thinks the branded petrol does less damage to his engine. Does anyone know if this is true?. "

Used to do work at quite a few refineries and you see supermarket tankers filling up at the same manifolds as the branded tankers.. asked someone about this and he said there is no difference

By *oole2010Couple  over a year ago

southampto

all the fuel whether its branded or supermarkets come from the same refinery so therefore its taxed at the same refinery price same as alcohol is taxed at same levels all brewerys and fags from all tobacco factorys they may charge you extra at bp etc as they put more additives into it but petrol is petrol once its first refined without extras

Bradford

So, reading the bove, at which point do the branded names add their additives, if at all, or are they telling naughty porkies?

Bradford

above*

"I run a Porsche Boxster 3.2S on Supermarket Fuel. The car adjusts itself automatically to the fuel. I have checked and although Porsche recommend a branded fuel they say that with regular servicing it makes no difference."

Bet you're putting regular in too - to be honest if you have a Porsche then you should be using branded fuel and higher octane - it does have extra additives and better performance.. If you're running a regular car - it won't make much difference as you probably won't have it on the road in twenty years time anyway...

Used to know people who worked in BP and oil refineries - yes makes a difference at the high end...

Not for regular cars though

By *r D and Mrs LCouple  over a year ago

Helensburgh

i once saw jeremy clarkson in tescos putting fuel in his car ... thats fine by me

I work in the motor trade and i hear this all the time.

Anyone who says that supermarket fuel is of lower quality is deluded.

It causes no harm to your vehicle. Regular servicing and maintenance is all that's needed to run your car like clockwork.

By *teborahCouple  over a year ago

warrington

And fuel that is refined in winter is different to fuel that is refined in summer. Here is a question for you. Why do we have different octane levels with petrol?

"And fuel that is refined in winter is different to fuel that is refined in summer. Here is a question for you. Why do we have different octane levels with petrol?

"

Higher the octane, the higher it can be compressed before firing.

warrington

"And fuel that is refined in winter is different to fuel that is refined in summer. Here is a question for you. Why do we have different octane levels with petrol?

Higher the octane, the higher it can be compressed before firing."

And also means you can use more advanced ignition timing for more power. so using say 99 octane in your average car would mean what for its performance?

Higher the octane, the higher it can be compressed before firing.

And also means you can use more advanced ignition timing for more power. so using say 99 octane in your average car would mean what for its performance?"

Nothing, save your money.

"

Are you thinking of the old 2/3/4 star?

That was under the old leaded petrol.

SHell, I think is the only one that is selling super petrol, and thats for high preformance cars, and if you make a mistake, lol.

Look up RON via google

ordinary unleaded is 95Ron.

Hope the supermarkets don't start selling mobiles, broadband, Gas or Electric or it will be inferior

Northampton

"I run a Porsche Boxster 3.2S on Supermarket Fuel. The car adjusts itself automatically to the fuel. I have checked and although Porsche recommend a branded fuel they say that with regular servicing it makes no difference.

Bet you're putting regular in too - to be honest if you have a Porsche then you should be using branded fuel and higher octane - it does have extra additives and better performance.. If you're running a regular car - it won't make much difference as you probably won't have it on the road in twenty years time anyway...

"

Totally agree as i said.

There is no change in petrol summer to winter but diesel has kerosine (paraffin) added to it duringing the winter to lower the waxing point to -15.

Which by the way is a waist of time in this country As diesel waxes at -25

By *ofakindCouple  over a year ago

Running with Monkeys

"

SHell, I think is the only one that is selling super petrol, and thats for high preformance cars, and if you make a mistake, lol.

"

Tesco have a higher octane fuel

i did a test, filled up from a supermarket did my normal driving, then filled up from a brand station and did the same.

the differance was over 5 mpg better with the branded fuel.

so branded for me everytime, the cost is outweighed by the mpg

"i did a test, filled up from a supermarket did my normal driving, then filled up from a brand station and did the same.

so branded for me everytime, the cost is outweighed by the mpg "

Fucking amazing! Your fuel injectors knew the difference! You don't work for Shell do you?

warrington

"There is no change in petrol summer to winter but diesel has kerosine (paraffin) added to it duringing the winter to lower the waxing point to -15.

Which by the way is a waist of time in this country As diesel waxes at -25 "

Incorrect. there is a difference.

"There is no change in petrol summer to winter but diesel has kerosine (paraffin) added to it duringing the winter to lower the waxing point to -15.

Incorrect. there is a difference."

Are you sure? As far as i know the fuel or octane content is the same so what is the difference?

Northampton

Are you sure? As far as i know the fuel or octane content is the same so what is the difference?"

With V power its not the octane level is higher they do both petrol and diesel in it.

So you get better mpg and this is to do with the anti-knock properties of the higher octane fuel.

0h and no i dont work for them

"i did a test, filled up from a supermarket did my normal driving, then filled up from a brand station and did the same.

so branded for me everytime, the cost is outweighed by the mpg

Fucking amazing! Your fuel injectors knew the difference! You don't work for Shell do you? "

all modern cars know how good the fuel they are using is, and no i dont work for shell, notice i didnt mention any names

By *umourCouple  over a year ago

Rushden

Anyone remember the Buncefield Oil Depot? The one that went KABOOM a few years back? Each storage tank had a different brand painted on it, but all the tankers filled up at the ones in use that day!

Doesn't matter what brand, it is all the same! Those that say they get more MPG just by using a particular brand? I would wager that if you checked every tankfull an the same brand, there would never be just one answer!

With diesel it can depend on the car you drive. The VW Passat is crap on cheap diesel if you just do town runs. The particulate filter gets clogged and that can cost a fortune!

The Jag X-Type we have (2.2D) clogs up the Exhast Gas Recirculation valve on cheap diesel in a very short time, but the BMW (2.0D) has never given a days problem on any diesel, and it is the same with the C-Class (2.1D)

(Mind you, the Jag is the run around..)

warrington

Are you sure? As far as i know the fuel or octane content is the same so what is the difference?"

Just additives. octane rate stays the same.

warrington

"Anyone remember the Buncefield Oil Depot? The one that went KABOOM a few years back? Each storage tank had a different brand painted on it, but all the tankers filled up at the ones in use that day!

Doesn't matter what brand, it is all the same! Those that say they get more MPG just by using a particular brand? I would wager that if you checked every tankfull an the same brand, there would never be just one answer!

With diesel it can depend on the car you drive. The VW Passat is crap on cheap diesel if you just do town runs. The particulate filter gets clogged and that can cost a fortune!

The Jag X-Type we have (2.2D) clogs up the Exhast Gas Recirculation valve on cheap diesel in a very short time, but the BMW (2.0D) has never given a days problem on any diesel, and it is the same with the C-Class (2.1D)

(Mind you, the Jag is the run around..)"

Doesnt matter what car you drive if its fitted with a particulate filter as they dont work period!! I spend most of my working day removing particulate filters from all makes of cars. cant stress how shit these things really are!

By *elshmailMan  over a year ago

neath

well i try and goto a shell as i always remember their adverts saying they put cleaning additives in their fuel. i dont know if any other does this.

By *histler21Man  over a year ago

Ipswich

Sorry - no idea. I can't afford BP diesel...

By *umourCouple  over a year ago

Rushden

"Doesnt matter what car you drive if its fitted with a particulate filter as they dont work period!! I spend most of my working day removing particulate filters from all makes of cars. cant stress how shit these things really are! "

I have heard that, but the BM is the only one we have never had trouble with. We do notice the cleaning cycle when the car runs a little rough for a short time, but no problems..

Someone did say to take the EGR valve off the Jag (also Mondeo, Transit) and blank it off before replacing, but I figure that it is there for a reason... Makes the car a pig to drive till it is cleaned out!

warrington

"Doesnt matter what car you drive if its fitted with a particulate filter as they dont work period!! I spend most of my working day removing particulate filters from all makes of cars. cant stress how shit these things really are!

I have heard that, but the BM is the only one we have never had trouble with. We do notice the cleaning cycle when the car runs a little rough for a short time, but no problems..

Someone did say to take the EGR valve off the Jag (also Mondeo, Transit) and blank it off before replacing, but I figure that it is there for a reason... Makes the car a pig to drive till it is cleaned out! "

All it does is recycle exhaust gasses which effectively fuck up the inlet manifold which makes the engine run less effective so uses more fuel which sort of defeats the object of it being greener! Yet another good idea on paper but like Particulate filters it doesnt work in the real world.

the supermarkets do bulk there fuels to the max with all the cheap additives so they can sell it cheaper as for branded company tankers delivering it they produce what the customer asks for

Supermarket fuels are pretty much the same. The only difference is the additives. Stuff like optimax is slightly better but then again most supermarkets do higher octane petrol too.

I always use supermarket and its done no harm at all o my cars

By *ondafirestormMan  over a year ago

heckington

I work for a supermarket and ran one of the petrol stations and can say there is no difference.

» Add a new message to this topic