FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > How much...

How much...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

...Is money actually worth?

We have cars worth hundreds of thousands of pounds

We have mansions worth millions

We have all dreamt of winning fortunes on the lotteries to buy the riches we can't afford but do we really need them?

Is it just a status thing to own all these luxuries because the rich and famous posses them?

All the material things we dream about cost too much money and is out of reach for most of us

Mark Twain said "in order to make a man or boy covet a thing, it is only necessary to make the thing difficult to attain".

Now that a lot of companies are in financial trouble, is money worth the paper its printed on? Are there going to be different priorities for money to be spent on?

Are we heading backwards in time where we will end up bartering and swapping goods instead of buying what we want and need, instead of spending on fanciable luxeries?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

people will continue to sell their souls for it.

and the rich will get richer thro hard work, good fortune, or corruption/crime

and 'some' of the not so rich will get more bitter.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Back in the day a shilling was worth a shillings worth of silver. a gold soverin was soid gols and weighed enough to be a pound a shilling and a penny in gold. If you look at a bank note (and this has always been true) it tells you nothing about being worth any thing, it simpy says that the bank which issues it 'prmises to pay the bearer (the person who holds the note) the sum on demand x pounds'.

Money its self and the goods we buy with them are only worth what we are willing to pay for them which depends on the supply of the good and the demand for them. The con is the advertising which tries to convince us that something with one brand name has more worth than the same thing with a different brand name (one pair of shoes is largely the same as another. Its not always a con BMWs tend to be more treliable than Ladas, performance cars tend to be better engineered than family cars, but as we see with the clothing market, the cost of production rarely has any bearing on the price of sale.

What gets me is that the most expensive thing on a bottle of shampoo is the lid (it is suprisingly complicated to make a piece of plastic which flexes without breaking) and the cap costs no more that 2p......the shampoo retails at whatever the salesman can get away with and whatever we will pay.....

Money is not wealth, its more of a measure of confidence that there is wealth.

"BMWs tend to be more treliable than Ladas..."

I think more Ladas are living a better existance as cans than BMWs nowadays... vorsprung technik ;o)

By *uro anchorMan  over a year ago

Coventry

long as you can afford your bills holidays cars and entrance to chams u dont need much more lol...

"people will continue to sell their souls for it.

and 'some' of the not so rich will get more bitter."

1. You're right human nature will never change.

2. Some people deserve to be rich, ie Bill Gates.

Some don't such as rich landowning bastards with ancestors from the middle ages who contribute nothing.

3. Guaranteed.

"Back in the day a shilling was worth a shillings worth of silver. a gold soverin was soid gols and weighed enough to be a pound a shilling and a penny in gold. If you look at a bank note (and this has always been true) it tells you nothing about being worth any thing, it simpy says that the bank which issues it 'prmises to pay the bearer (the person who holds the note) the sum on demand x pounds'.

Money its self and the goods we buy with them are only worth what we are willing to pay for them which depends on the supply of the good and the demand for them. The con is the advertising which tries to convince us that something with one brand name has more worth than the same thing with a different brand name (one pair of shoes is largely the same as another. Its not always a con BMWs tend to be more treliable than Ladas, performance cars tend to be better engineered than family cars, but as we see with the clothing market, the cost of production rarely has any bearing on the price of sale.

What gets me is that the most expensive thing on a bottle of shampoo is the lid (it is suprisingly complicated to make a piece of plastic which flexes without breaking) and the cap costs no more that 2p......the shampoo retails at whatever the salesman can get away with and whatever we will pay....."

That is so true, I used to work in recycling, and dealt with Proctor and Gamble, used to remove 1000 litre containers that had had Pantene Pro V in, must have been at least 100 litres left in the bottom of every one, when asked it was too much effort to get it all out!!! now how many super market shelf type bottles would 100 litres fill? and we were removing about 50 1000 litre containers a week!!

Work it out!

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

ive never been materialistic. now that doesnt mean i dont like nice things but ive never been the sort that needs to have the biggest best and newiest of everything. it always seems to be those that cant afford it that want things for status ie those on benefits that need the latest flat screened television. in my experience those that have money buy good quality of what they like and dont have to change things every week

"Back in the day a shilling was worth a shillings worth of silver. a gold soverin was soid gols and weighed enough to be a pound a shilling and a penny in gold. If you look at a bank note (and this has always been true) it tells you nothing about being worth any thing, it simpy says that the bank which issues it 'prmises to pay the bearer (the person who holds the note) the sum on demand x pounds'.

What gets me is that the most expensive thing on a bottle of shampoo is the lid (it is suprisingly complicated to make a piece of plastic which flexes without breaking) and the cap costs no more that 2p......the shampoo retails at whatever the salesman can get away with and whatever we will pay.....

That is so true, I used to work in recycling, and dealt with Proctor and Gamble, used to remove 1000 litre containers that had had Pantene Pro V in, must have been at least 100 litres left in the bottom of every one, when asked it was too much effort to get it all out!!! now how many super market shelf type bottles would 100 litres fill? and we were removing about 50 1000 litre containers a week!!

Work it out!"

Blimey, maybe you should of bottled it your self and sold it down a car boot.

Work it out!"

Depends on how big the supermarket bottles are, but you can almost guarantee that the only difference between Pantene Pro V and tesco bog standard is the perfume.

'Pro argen formula' I ask you. Who actualy believes this shite?

"people will continue to sell their souls for it.

and 'some' of the not so rich will get more bitter.

1. You're right human nature will never change.

2. Some people deserve to be rich, ie Bill Gates.

Some don't such as rich landowning bastards with ancestors from the middle ages who contribute nothing.

3. Guaranteed.

"

Human nature does change, or at least its expresion does. I do subscribe to the theory that paleolithic cultures were mostly egalitarian, experts were more important than current ones. Its not till agriculture is developed that individuals and cultures take ownership of land and the concept of wealth come about....ownership is greed, property is theft.

Why does bill gates deserve to be rich? Most computer bods will tell you Windows is naff.... What can you possibly do with a billion that you cant with a milion? How much money is enough?

people have been very kind to me, when i cannot give them something back...so thanks to :

all the gf's and wives of others I've shagged

» Add a new message to this topic