FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Killed By My Debt

Killed By My Debt

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icketysplits OP   Woman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I cried when I read this story in the news a couple of years ago.

The drama on BBC1 now is harrowing and we haven't reached the end, when I know what will happen.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I cried when I read this story in the news a couple of years ago.

The drama on BBC1 now is harrowing and we haven't reached the end, when I know what will happen. "

Unfortunately it’s kind of the normal reality for a lot now...I know I live in debt, get by, but can never see myself fully out of it

The drama on BBC1 now is harrowing and we haven't reached the end, when I know what will happen.

Unfortunately it’s kind of the normal reality for a lot now...I know I live in debt, get by, but can never see myself fully out of it "

Have you been to see anyone to get some help?

I had to switch it off after the first half hour, I was in tears.

Anyone who is in this situation, please tell someone and get some help.

The thing is with bailiffs is that they just don't give a shit unless they bully someone into paying what they owe. Yes, people should pay what they owe but plenty come into difficult times. It's one subject that pisses me off big time.

Unfortunately it’s kind of the normal reality for a lot now...I know I live in debt, get by, but can never see myself fully out of it

"

Just advisors, but I’m no where near in big trouble, just the normal kind of debt really...it’s managable

"The thing is with bailiffs is that they just don't give a shit unless they bully someone into paying what they owe. Yes, people should pay what they owe but plenty come into difficult times. It's one subject that pisses me off big time. "

Zero remorse for people who genuinely live every minute of thier day under pressure....wankers

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I've just turned it over as I'm pretty sure I know what's going to happen, plus my son is in the room and I don't want him to know that it's an option.

"The thing is with bailiffs is that they just don't give a shit unless they bully someone into paying what they owe. Yes, people should pay what they owe but plenty come into difficult times. It's one subject that pisses me off big time. "

I was homeless once lived in my t reg clio. And they still hounded me for money. No empathy compassion or common scence those buisnesses!

"The thing is with bailiffs is that they just don't give a shit unless they bully someone into paying what they owe. Yes, people should pay what they owe but plenty come into difficult times. It's one subject that pisses me off big time.

Zero remorse for people who genuinely live every minute of thier day under pressure....wankers "

Exactly. How some of them sleep at night I don't know.

"I had to switch it off after the first half hour, I was in tears.

Anyone who is in this situation, please tell someone and get some help."

They have ended by playing the phone call with the debt collectors with photos of the family.

All for a traffic fine.

"The thing is with bailiffs is that they just don't give a shit unless they bully someone into paying what they owe. Yes, people should pay what they owe but plenty come into difficult times. It's one subject that pisses me off big time.

I was homeless once lived in my t reg clio. And they still hounded me for money. No empathy compassion or common scence those buisnesses! "

I’m glad ur past that now

We had two bailiffs come to ours a few years ago and we had left the front door unlocked. They got as far as the end of our hall until hubby stepped in and forced them out again. They didn't come back!!

Zero remorse for people who genuinely live every minute of thier day under pressure....wankers

Exactly. How some of them sleep at night I don't know. "

That’s why they can do the job they do....selfish people

By *inkycouplespainCouple  over a year ago

Malaga Spain but sometimes Manchester and

Just advisors, but I’m no where near in big trouble, just the normal kind of debt really...it’s managable "

Be careful dont let it get out of hand x

"We had two bailiffs come to ours a few years ago and we had left the front door unlocked. They got as far as the end of our hall until hubby stepped in and forced them out again. They didn't come back!!"

Forgot to add it wasn't our debt!!

I was homeless once lived in my t reg clio. And they still hounded me for money. No empathy compassion or common scence those buisnesses! "

That's ridiculous! I had a situation a couple of years ago when I was very vulnerable and they came round one day, I rang them the next morning in tears having a panic attack and he refused to talk to me at all. Then they never turned up so they caused all that panic for nothing, and it must be the same for so many vulnerable people up and down the country. I'm surprised that others having taken their lives due to being in a similar situation. Bullies, the lot of them.

Just advisors, but I’m no where near in big trouble, just the normal kind of debt really...it’s managable "

Keep it in perspective and manageable.

When I was younger I racked up debt greater than my annual salary at the time. This was over and above my mortgage. I know the factors that led me there and I was lucky that I caught myself before I had no way back.

By *inkycouplespainCouple  over a year ago

Malaga Spain but sometimes Manchester and

Glad you got through that x

Just advisors, but I’m no where near in big trouble, just the normal kind of debt really...it’s managable

Keep it in perspective and manageable.

When I was younger I racked up debt greater than my annual salary at the time. This was over and above my mortgage. I know the factors that led me there and I was lucky that I caught myself before I had no way back.

"

Oh I have, but really appreciate the advice, ie taken it on board x

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

I was on edge the whole time because I knew what was coming.

Very powerful programme.

It seems so easy to say it was only a grand, get another job, a better paid job, just pay the fine when it comes in, talk to people but people put so much pressure on themselves to be able to cope.

I had £10k of debt after uni (not including student loans). Luckily I was able to sit down with my dad and through a lot of tears work out a plan to pay it off.

This story for some reason has really affected me. Such a young boy, pleased to be working and earning a living. Such a shame that that living took his life away.

Loving the positivity on this thread....bailiffs and courts could do with reading some of this. Let them know how people are actually genuinely concerned and thoughtful of complete strangers

I was homeless once lived in my t reg clio. And they still hounded me for money. No empathy compassion or common scence those buisnesses!

That's ridiculous! I had a situation a couple of years ago when I was very vulnerable and they came round one day, I rang them the next morning in tears having a panic attack and he refused to talk to me at all. Then they never turned up so they caused all that panic for nothing, and it must be the same for so many vulnerable people up and down the country. I'm surprised that others having taken their lives due to being in a similar situation. Bullies, the lot of them. "

I don't believe all of them are bullies but I do think the companies they work set the culture and targets they have to work to.

Exactly. How some of them sleep at night I don't know. "

Bailiffs work under court orders given by a judge and as a consequence their views or conscience doesn't come in to it.

That's ridiculous! I had a situation a couple of years ago when I was very vulnerable and they came round one day, I rang them the next morning in tears having a panic attack and he refused to talk to me at all. Then they never turned up so they caused all that panic for nothing, and it must be the same for so many vulnerable people up and down the country. I'm surprised that others having taken their lives due to being in a similar situation. Bullies, the lot of them.

I don't believe all of them are bullies but I do think the companies they work set the culture and targets they have to work to.

"

Sorry, I should've said that some act like bullies.

"I was on edge the whole time because I knew what was coming.

Very powerful programme.

It seems so easy to say it was only a grand, get another job, a better paid job, just pay the fine when it comes in, talk to people but people put so much pressure on themselves to be able to cope.

I had £10k of debt after uni (not including student loans). Luckily I was able to sit down with my dad and through a lot of tears work out a plan to pay it off.

This story for some reason has really affected me. Such a young boy, pleased to be working and earning a living. Such a shame that that living took his life away. "

It was very affecting. Take time to look after your feelings about this.

evesham

I think there are many strands to this story. The fact that people, specifically young men, find it difficult to talk to people about their debt. The zero hours contracts for couriers (only paid for POB mileage, renting uniform charges, no help for PCN's). The refusal of payment plan options for the guy in the film and the techniques used by the bailiff when dealing with what was clearly a frightened and shell shocked young man.

I can’t watch anything like that, too close to home. I’m lucky that I’m getting help to sort out the mess my ex has left me in. But the threat by some bailiffs has been very distressing x

evesham

Very powerful programme.

This story for some reason has really affected me. Such a young boy, pleased to be working and earning a living. Such a shame that that living took his life away.

"

I'm not sure if it's the situation or the suicide that's hit home.

I've been talking a lot about my uncle lately who hung himself while we were out at a family wedding.I'm not sure if money was involved, he wasn't a well man.

I just can't help thinking how that young lad felt alone in the woods, seeing that as his only option out of it all. The cry that actor made shot straight through my heart. All for less than a grand!

By *os19Man  over a year ago

Edmonton

Unbelievable how two £65 fines can go up to over £1000 and his employers weren’t much help.It must be terrible been on a zero hour contract not knowing how much you are getting each month.I hope anyone in debt that watched the program tonight speaks to someone especially the younger generation as they are the most vulnerable they want to do everything themselves.

Very powerful programme.

I'm not sure if it's the situation or the suicide that's hit home.

I've been talking a lot about my uncle lately who hung himself while we were out at a family wedding.I'm not sure if money was involved, he wasn't a well man.

I just can't help thinking how that young lad felt alone in the woods, seeing that as his only option out of it all. The cry that actor made shot straight through my heart. All for less than a grand! "

What price a life? When you can't see an end and there appears to be no help it becomes easier to feel there is only one way out of the situation. The awful end for the family being given £10k for the funeral really hit me hard. We invest in the wrong things.

Martin Lewis, the money one, has given up trying to get the government to invest in teaching young people about finance and he has funded the production of a book to go into every school.

I'm sorry to read about your uncle. Money may have been one of the factors. Things are amplified when you can't see clearly through the pain.

"Unbelievable how two £65 fines can go up to over £1000 and his employers weren’t much help.It must be terrible been on a zero hour contract not knowing how much you are getting each month.I hope anyone in debt that watched the program tonight speaks to someone especially the younger generation as they are the most vulnerable they want to do everything themselves."

It is such a delicate balance learning to manage, asking for help and interfering to offer that help.

The problem with debt is financial institutions (banks, credit card companies etc ) make it relatively easy to get into debt but then the interest rates they charge means that if you miss even one payment the penalties suddenly cause the problem to spiral.

So unless your willing to declare yourself bankrupt you are hounded for every last cent with no break and no remorse when the worst happens

"The problem with debt is financial institutions (banks, credit card companies etc ) make it relatively easy to get into debt but then the interest rates they charge means that if you miss even one payment the penalties suddenly cause the problem to spiral.

So unless your willing to declare yourself bankrupt you are hounded for every last cent with no break and no remorse when the worst happens "

Debt isn't always a bad thing. It is how we get our credit ratings. How we view debt and how we manage it can be the problem.

By *os19Man  over a year ago

Edmonton

"Unbelievable how two £65 fines can go up to over £1000 and his employers weren’t much help.It must be terrible been on a zero hour contract not knowing how much you are getting each month.I hope anyone in debt that watched the program tonight speaks to someone especially the younger generation as they are the most vulnerable they want to do everything themselves.

It is such a delicate balance learning to manage, asking for help and interfering to offer that help.

"

. I know it came across as young man trying to sort things out himself and to proud to ask for help.

"The problem with debt is financial institutions (banks, credit card companies etc ) make it relatively easy to get into debt but then the interest rates they charge means that if you miss even one payment the penalties suddenly cause the problem to spiral.

So unless your willing to declare yourself bankrupt you are hounded for every last cent with no break and no remorse when the worst happens

Debt isn't always a bad thing. It is how we get our credit ratings. How we view debt and how we manage it can be the problem.

"

Totally agree but a lot of people neither understand money or can budget properly and so end up in huge debt.

I know people that get a surprise every time the electricity bill arrives. They just can't plan or manage money.

evesham

Totally agree but a lot of people neither understand money or can budget properly and so end up in huge debt.

I know people that get a surprise every time the electricity bill arrives. They just can't plan or manage money. "

I do think this is a key point! I'm still rubbish with money and have no savings. Every month I try to be better but I guess I have FOMO and over spend to keep up with friends.

I’ll try and catch this on the iPlayer. I’ve worked really hard to be better and managing and understanding money the last 6 months so o have a bit of a vested interest

I know people that get a surprise every time the electricity bill arrives. They just can't plan or manage money. "

Which is why it should be taught as a life skill at school, from a very young age. If you're in a family that can't manage money you can't learn from them. Equally, if you have a family that is good with money but protects you from managing your own money you can't learn.

I know people that get a surprise every time the electricity bill arrives. They just can't plan or manage money.

I do think this is a key point! I'm still rubbish with money and have no savings. Every month I try to be better but I guess I have FOMO and over spend to keep up with friends. "

Your not on your own evie but no offence if they're friends they will understand why your not always out .

My dad thought me a simple lesson. Look at all your bills in a month everything . Then divide by 4. That's how much money you put away into a separate account every week. Then when the bills arrive you have the money to pay them.

I do think this is a key point! I'm still rubbish with money and have no savings. Every month I try to be better but I guess I have FOMO and over spend to keep up with friends. "

I don't know what FOMO is... I do know what you mean about overspending. I still do it now but with the comfort of knowing I can pay it off.

I set aside the money for my tax bill as early in the year as possible. I allow myself a treat(s) whenever I get paid anything (it feels justified when some clients take four months to pay) and then I have a separate account with something for emergencies.

evesham

I do think this is a key point! I'm still rubbish with money and have no savings. Every month I try to be better but I guess I have FOMO and over spend to keep up with friends.

Your not on your own evie but no offence if they're friends they will understand why your not always out .

My dad thought me a simple lesson. Look at all your bills in a month everything . Then divide by 4. That's how much money you put away into a separate account every week. Then when the bills arrive you have the money to pay them. "

I always pay my bills. I have a separate account and make sure that enough money is in there to cover everything. It's just the saving. I earn a decent wage (soon to be more decent) but struggle to save a decent amount.

By *oodnitegirlWoman  over a year ago

Yorkshire

To the man with debt. Try StepChange debt charity and fill out a budget form. They are a godsend and ring all the creditors for you. Xx

I don't know what FOMO is... I do know what you mean about overspending. I still do it now but with the comfort of knowing I can pay it off.

I set aside the money for my tax bill as early in the year as possible. I allow myself a treat(s) whenever I get paid anything (it feels justified when some clients take four months to pay) and then I have a separate account with something for emergencies.

"

FOMO - fear of missing out

"To the man with debt. Try StepChange debt charity and fill out a budget form. They are a godsend and ring all the creditors for you. Xx"

Thank you gorge...I’ll give it a go xx

I don't understand how people can get into so much dept. I immigrated to the UK 23 years ago with nearly nothing but what I was carrying and now I own my own house (paid off), own my own car (paid off) and no debt anywhere. It just comes down to moderation and living within your own limits and knowing what those limits are. I could drive a flash car or go on loads of holidays, but at the end of the day what makes me happier is not stressing over the little things like where my next meal is coming from... simple really

My dad thought me a simple lesson. Look at all your bills in a month everything . Then divide by 4. That's how much money you put away into a separate account every week. Then when the bills arrive you have the money to pay them.

I always pay my bills. I have a separate account and make sure that enough money is in there to cover everything. It's just the saving. I earn a decent wage (soon to be more decent) but struggle to save a decent amount. "

If you're about to get a pay increase start with saving that. You're not used to having it available to put it aside. Do it for 12 months and then review how much you have and whether you missed it.

I cleared my horrendous debt when I got new job with a higher salary. I was able to pay it all off in 3 years just by being strict about not spending the difference in the first year and challenging myself to change my spending habits to double it in years 2 and 3.

"To the man with debt. Try StepChange debt charity and fill out a budget form. They are a godsend and ring all the creditors for you. Xx

Thank you gorge...I’ll give it a go xx"

StepChange is the best, in my opinion.

"I don't understand how people can get into so much dept. I immigrated to the UK 23 years ago with nearly nothing but what I was carrying and now I own my own house (paid off), own my own car (paid off) and no debt anywhere. It just comes down to moderation and living within your own limits and knowing what those limits are. I could drive a flash car or go on loads of holidays, but at the end of the day what makes me happier is not stressing over the little things like where my next meal is coming from... simple really

"

The programme wasn't about living beyond your means. The 19 year old got a couple of fines and didn't know he had to pay them as they were incurred as part of his work.

In theory we should all be able to do as you have done but it's not always possible to live in theory.

By *raceytvcdTV/TS  over a year ago

mansfield

"I don't understand how people can get into so much dept. I immigrated to the UK 23 years ago with nearly nothing but what I was carrying and now I own my own house (paid off), own my own car (paid off) and no debt anywhere. It just comes down to moderation and living within your own limits and knowing what those limits are. I could drive a flash car or go on loads of holidays, but at the end of the day what makes me happier is not stressing over the little things like where my next meal is coming from... simple really

"

cool hand, I'd tend to agree with you.ileft home at 17 lived in a van for three months then found work , hard work graft.Never had anything I couldn't buy cash apart from mortgage and lived to my means didn't try and keep up with the Jone,s but do think things are harder now days and the young un,s are really up against it .didn't see the programme op

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

I'm lucky enough to be debt free. However, due to the nature of my work, I am not financially secure. I live within my means and I get by - but it wouldn't take much to sink me. When I, eventually, have to stop working, I'll be living in poverty. The thought doesn't scare me. I'm prepared for it.

"

If only we all had the luck/ expertise that you had. No one would be in financial mess. I don't drive a flash car. Rarely go on holiday unless you count a week camping in the new forest... but just making ends meet each day is a struggle. Your smugness isn't helpful.

Money is just like water through your hands. I have a hate, hate relationship with budgets. Theres never just quite enough is there

By *alking HeadMan  over a year ago

Bolton

"

I was out of work for just over 18 months. I ended up in debt because I still had essential bills to pay. That was five years ago and its still not completely cleared. Then just as your making decent headway in clearing it, the car fails its mot, the boiler packs up or you need a new cooker or fridge. When your wage JUST covers your essential bills you get good at spotting bargains etc but you cant magic your way out of debt.

By *tonMessCouple  over a year ago

Slough Windsor ish

I will have to look out for the program on iPlayer...

Before we got together I was a single parent for 13 years and got into all sorts of problems begining with Council Tax arrears. I lived in constant fear of bailiffs and seemed to be permanently chasing my own tail as far as money was concerned.

Last year, for the first time in I don't know how long I finally got debt free but it's been a bloody hard slog and I know I couldn't have done without Cheffy's support.

Some debts really cannot be avoided and the trouble is it only takes one small thing to tip you over the edge and things very quickly spiral out of control.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

Zero remorse for people who genuinely live every minute of thier day under pressure....wankers "

Look at it the other way. My other half is a self employed heating engineer. With government schemes etc he struggles to make a living. If he didn't live and run his business from my home he'd be on the street.

He's had to call in bailiffs to get his money after customers refuse to pay him after he's done the work. Why should he suck it up and provide a free service?

Two sides to every story.

evesham

"I will have to look out for the program on iPlayer...

Before we got together I was a single parent for 13 years and got into all sorts of problems begining with Council Tax arrears. I lived in constant fear of bailiffs and seemed to be permanently chasing my own tail as far as money was concerned.

Last year, for the first time in I don't know how long I finally got debt free but it's been a bloody hard slog and I know I couldn't have done without Cheffy's support.

Some debts really cannot be avoided and the trouble is it only takes one small thing to tip you over the edge and things very quickly spiral out of control."

And that's what it was for this young man. He felt he had to sort it all himself, he felt he couldn't talk to anyone and hid the problems. He had a job, everyone was excited and proud of him. He didn't want to let his mum down.

He turned to the Internet for help and came across blogs and videos saying how it all went away of they died. His family wouldn't be chased for his debt. He wouldn't burden them.

evesham

Look at it the other way. My other half is a self employed heating engineer. With government schemes etc he struggles to make a living. If he didn't live and run his business from my home he'd be on the street.

He's had to call in bailiffs to get his money after customers refuse to pay him after he's done the work. Why should he suck it up and provide a free service?

Two sides to every story. "

I don't think that bailiffs are all bad people and you're right, businesses such as your partners need ways to collect money owed to them but the agency used in this story seemed (and I'm trying to remind myself it's a dramatisation) to not take into consideration this young lads circumstances. No option of a payment plan. Told different things by different people.

By *ormalguy71Man  over a year ago

Tunbridge Wells

Not all bailiffs are like the one featured but this company have a history of this kind of tactic.

A very tragic story and the sad thing is there are many more like this.

It's criminal in my opinion the amount of fees that a bailiffs company add on. Most people get into debt because they are struggling to make repayments so how adding 100s in fees is going to make them pay does not sit well with me

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

Two sides to every story.

I don't think that bailiffs are all bad people and you're right, businesses such as your partners need ways to collect money owed to them but the agency used in this story seemed (and I'm trying to remind myself it's a dramatisation) to not take into consideration this young lads circumstances. No option of a payment plan. Told different things by different people. "

Agreed, I saw the programme the first time round and I've had bailiffs at my door for the other half, unable to pay his bills because someone hasn't paid him. The bailiffs that came knocking on the door at 6am, disturbing the whole street were awful but in fairness it transpired they had been in touch but he thought he could sort it and not tell me or them.

"

I’m a single parent on benefits, with two disabled young adults. Unfortunately not in a position because of their needs and lack of social care to go to work. So debt for me is always a constant. My mom helps me out otherwise I wouldn’t make it though a week. It’s great that you’ve got so far and can manage but not everyone is that lucky. Having to choose between eating and heating is very real x

By *tingly ByronMan  over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

I didn't watch it although I know the story it's based on.

Situations like this hit close to home. There but for the grace of God go I.

I wouldn't have been able to watch it, storys like this break my heart.

"Loving the positivity on this thread....bailiffs and courts could do with reading some of this. Let them know how people are actually genuinely concerned and thoughtful of complete strangers "

Me too xx

By *innamon!Woman  over a year ago

no matter

Heartbreaking for the Lad and his family.So many if only's for them.

We suffered through the 80's with severe debt, husband had two or three jobs running.

Baliffs are not kind and no one explains how you can get help(before internet ) the world was different. We were so ashamed.

Thankfully we got over that and I try to help friends who are in difficulty. I would hate to think of my kids with payday loans. Thankfully both can earn well.

Seek help is all I can say.

By *ardiffCoupleNJCouple  over a year ago

Pontypridd/Rhyfelin

"Unbelievable how two £65 fines can go up to over £1000 "

This is the disgraceful bit. The law is there in theory to protect us. So when the courts send out the bailiffs it's in a way understandable. But £1000 for a £65 fine?

Just like those loan companies who lend to the vulnerable who are desperate to make ends meet & unable to get credit elsewhere.

Then these companies apply interest rates of 1000's of %. It should be outlawed -legalised robbery imo -but hey, someone somewhere is making a big fat profit so it isn't.

"Loving the positivity on this thread....bailiffs and courts could do with reading some of this. Let them know how people are actually genuinely concerned and thoughtful of complete strangers

Me too xx"

Me too...we are mostly ordinary folk trying to do our best in life and helping each other out or just supporting others is great t9 see.

By *unloversCouple  over a year ago

rotherham

Did he kill himself?

I didn’t see the end as I fell asleep

evesham

"Did he kill himself?

I didn’t see the end as I fell asleep"

Yes. Took himself to some woodland where he and his brother played as kids and hung himself.

"Did he kill himself?

I didn’t see the end as I fell asleep

Yes. Took himself to some woodland where he and his brother played as kids and hung himself. "

What a shit world we live in

Bailiff’s don’t just turn up out of the blue. Before that stage there has been a whole host of court documentation, summons, judgement etc. It is vital that people take advice and this stage instead of hoping it will go away. There are ways of dealing with it but it requires the debtor to be proactive.

Having worked in insolvency for ten years, albeit corporate, one failure can lead to numerous further failures so the fact that creditors look to bailiffs to secure their position is perfectly reasonable and the bailiff is only carrying out the duties placed upon them (I’m not talking about parking fines etc here). Early action by the debtor can save an awful lot of issues for themselves and other parties.

By *hips n FursMan  over a year ago

Huddersfield

[Removed by poster at 21/07/18 07:29:56]

By *hips n FursMan  over a year ago

Huddersfield

Lickety is right,it is a life skill managing money. It's one lesson my mum drilled into me when I was young. It's a lesson that's stuck with me to this day.

Thanks Mum xxx

By *ystical_InkedBBWWoman  over a year ago

somewhere in the Shire of Derby

My ex left me with over £10,000 of debt. I got in touch with the debt charity Step Change and they helped me set up payment plans etc took me about 6 years but I cleared it all off. There is lots of help out there Citizens Advice are free and help with the letters, as long as you offer to make a nominal payment each month and keep up with them, creditors have to accept it and if they take you to court you still only make nominal payments until it's cleared. Just don't ignore the problem because it doesn't go away and they can find you even if it's years later.

By *inkyLondonpairCouple  over a year ago

London

"Bailiff’s don’t just turn up out of the blue. Before that stage there has been a whole host of court documentation, summons, judgement etc. It is vital that people take advice and this stage instead of hoping it will go away. There are ways of dealing with it but it requires the debtor to be proactive.

Having worked in insolvency for ten years, albeit corporate, one failure can lead to numerous further failures so the fact that creditors look to bailiffs to secure their position is perfectly reasonable and the bailiff is only carrying out the duties placed upon them (I’m not talking about parking fines etc here). Early action by the debtor can save an awful lot of issues for themselves and other parties."

Indeed. The important thing is to engage with your creditors. If you really can't pay and you can prove that to them, they will generally take some sort of instalment plan, rather than have the hassle of going to court, involving bailiffs etc.

"Bailiff’s don’t just turn up out of the blue. Before that stage there has been a whole host of court documentation, summons, judgement etc. It is vital that people take advice and this stage instead of hoping it will go away. There are ways of dealing with it but it requires the debtor to be proactive.

Having worked in insolvency for ten years, albeit corporate, one failure can lead to numerous further failures so the fact that creditors look to bailiffs to secure their position is perfectly reasonable and the bailiff is only carrying out the duties placed upon them (I’m not talking about parking fines etc here). Early action by the debtor can save an awful lot of issues for themselves and other parties."

I agree but I have also seen people put of their depth at the first indication it's an issue. That was the case here. His work assumed he'd know the fines were his responsibility. He didn't want to let his family down. He didn't know where to go for help. He didn't know how to respond to demands for money he didn't have. His only way of earning was his only asset. His asthma was made worse by his panic. Missing jobs meant he got fewer of them and had even less chance of paying off the debt. The debt kept rising as interest and fees were added.

He could only see one way out.

By *tingly ByronMan  over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

Having worked in insolvency for ten years, albeit corporate, one failure can lead to numerous further failures so the fact that creditors look to bailiffs to secure their position is perfectly reasonable and the bailiff is only carrying out the duties placed upon them (I’m not talking about parking fines etc here). Early action by the debtor can save an awful lot of issues for themselves and other parties.

I agree but I have also seen people put of their depth at the first indication it's an issue. That was the case here. His work assumed he'd know the fines were his responsibility. He didn't want to let his family down. He didn't know where to go for help. He didn't know how to respond to demands for money he didn't have. His only way of earning was his only asset. His asthma was made worse by his panic. Missing jobs meant he got fewer of them and had even less chance of paying off the debt. The debt kept rising as interest and fees were added.

He could only see one way out.

"

Tragic.

Sad.

Heartbreaking.

evesham

Indeed. The important thing is to engage with your creditors. If you really can't pay and you can prove that to them, they will generally take some sort of instalment plan, rather than have the hassle of going to court, involving bailiffs etc. "

He tried asking for a payment plan but was fobbed off. He made small payments towards his debt so showed he knew he had to pay it but when he was taking home less than £50 a week after the courier took their uniform rental charges from him what was he supposed to live on.

This wasn't someone racking up debt buying stuff he didn't need. The debt came from PCN's.

At the end of the programme they showed a clip from the actual bailiffs body worn camera and you can just see the fear and panic in his eyes.

I can't stand things like this. Baffles me how the companies expect people that were struggling to even pay the first £65 can then find 500 odd quid. If it was just about paying the initial £65 then at the very first stage you should be able to set up a payment plan.

evesham

I've upset myself tho Jo g about this again now. Can't believe how affected its made me!

I going to see if there are any charities etc I an get involved with to help out.

By *ifty grades of shadyCouple  over a year ago

Carisbrooke, Isle of Wight

"Heartbreaking for the Lad and his family.So many if only's for them.

We suffered through the 80's with severe debt, husband had two or three jobs running.

Baliffs are not kind and no one explains how you can get help(before internet ) the world was different. We were so ashamed.

Thankfully we got over that and I try to help friends who are in difficulty. I would hate to think of my kids with payday loans. Thankfully both can earn well.

Seek help is all I can say.

"

Remember those days well. Debt was seen as shameful, never a thought what got you there...

In my childhood, I watched my stepdad use money as a weapon against my mum. So she worked hard and he kept his. Why the fuck she put up with that I'll never know.

He was a only child brought up during the war, so not only wasn't one for sharing, but was so frugal that I believe he was a sick person as a result of his own up bringing.

Fast forward to when I left school. The impact of the saving from one parent over the the flog to death to keep food on the table of the other turned me off money big style.

I had no interest at all in the mechanics of it, saving plans or bargain hunting deals and making it stretch further. We had hard times on and off through the years but have managed to keep our heads above water in the 30 plus years of being together, but without questioning any of our purchases, or more so the wisdom in them.

Earlier this year, BT up'ed their bill for another year and I had just had an abdominal op, and through having time on my hands, decided to look closer to why they wanted even more money. They had added BT Sport, something I dont watch, they had included a few services that I never used and so armed with this I calculated that I was overspending by about 45% on my highish bill. BT did ring 2 days before the termination of our contract day and offed to charge us a price that was just £2 p/m higher than the price offered by Plusnet, whom we switched to.

So armed with this knowledge, I ask those who are struggling to check the basics in your spending because those you pay money out to you, will make you overpay big style. Take an interest and stop yourselves being ripped off. We are taking other actions on various outgoings and have taken a smart look at the way money has flowed out of our accounts and can see how if not for a bit of luck in regards to employment status over the years, how close we could have been to a life much more difficult than it needed to be.

Those who want your money will take as much as they can, protect it and seek advice or do some research, but don't sit back and let the the grabbing hands, grab all they can.

And don't be ashamed by your financial issues, but seek help and remove the pressure on yourselves and hopefully take charge of your life.

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

Martin Lewis has great advice for free on the various choices that are out there. Moneysavingexpertdotcom is a life saver in both senses of the word! Set up an appointment with a friend and visit his website together as it's better to have a shoulder to cry on and a second opinion is always welcome.

If done properly life becomes worth living again very soon.

I have opened up about my debt very recently, and it helped a lot, just telling someone, not having to deal with it myself. I was trying to manage myself, but eventually realised that I was drowning. Got listening ear and some advice where to look for help, but also, as a UNISON member, I have access to their debt advice and solutions. Have now started the ball rolling, and in 5 years I should be debt-free. Yes, it's not going to be easy 5 years, but still better than the last 5 were. Even though I never had bailiffs knocking on my door, but did have quite a few sleepless nights, wondering how I was going to afford my repayments, and get some food, too. Forget about new clothes/shoes or holidays, unless on the credit, so generating even more debt.

I would urge anyone who struggles with their debt to at the very least look up some debt help online- it's free and it's there, and they don't judge. As anyone can get into a debt spiral at any point of their lives.

By *he CaptainMan  over a year ago

Cadihead

I got a letter from bailiffs saying if i did not pay a £500 debt they were coming to take goods. I knew nothing about a debt but they did not believe me. It turned out to be council tax i owed to Salford council for a empty property i sold 3yrs before. They sent all the demands to the wrong address. But of course they insisted they sent to me and i even had to pay the court judgement i knew nothing about. Well done Salford council for all the worry you put this oap thro.

Five years ago I was consumed by 20 grands worth of debt stupid mistakes I made when I was younger and thought I could run away and hide from the problems,you can't hide they catch up with you eventually i was trying to pay off my debts as much as i could it meant i was eating twice a week as i could not afford to feed myself and pay my Bills, I could see no way out then a girl I was friends with at work started asking questions because she had seen a change in me and I opened up to her. She told me about a debt relief order which is a type of bankruptcy but you are stress free after one year but it stays on your record for five years, I am now debt free been promoted twice at work and life is good and I came so close to ending it because of debt and trying to ignore it which is the worst thing you could do, a simple call to citizens advice was all it took.

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

"I have opened up about my debt very recently, and it helped a lot, just telling someone, not having to deal with it myself. I was trying to manage myself, but eventually realised that I was drowning. Got listening ear and some advice where to look for help, but also, as a UNISON member, I have access to their debt advice and solutions. Have now started the ball rolling, and in 5 years I should be debt-free. Yes, it's not going to be easy 5 years, but still better than the last 5 were. Even though I never had bailiffs knocking on my door, but did have quite a few sleepless nights, wondering how I was going to afford my repayments, and get some food, too. Forget about new clothes/shoes or holidays, unless on the credit, so generating even more debt.

I would urge anyone who struggles with their debt to at the very least look up some debt help online- it's free and it's there, and they don't judge. As anyone can get into a debt spiral at any point of their lives. "

Excellent advice!

By *orbidden eastMan  over a year ago

london dodging electric scooters

Unfortunately this story is so sad but so true for this generation of young chaps. Most not all do you not have the capability to cope and find a solution

Ten years ago, got into debt to the tune of £17,000. Work was restructuring and my hours were reduced. I survived on cheap meals. I was getting red letters every day threatening legal action by each of my creditors. Had collection companies ring me up at all hours demanding more money. Then I sent them all a payment plan with who money to and what I could afford to pay, with my outgoings. Printed off a debt management form from the debtline website. They are not allowed to talk to a member of a member of your family about your circumstances, which they did once. Got them into trouble for that. It was a stressful part of my life, but eventually got it all paid off. Also said I don’t make arrangements over the phone, only in writing. I was threatened every week with court action, all talk, none of them ever did it. I had 10 creditors I owed money to and anyone of them at any point could have took me to court, they never did. If you are making a serious attempt to pay the debt off overtime, they usually back off. Do not in any circumstance allow anyone to take control of your debt where you are paying them a fee, rip off merchants. Do not deal with people over the phone, deal in writing. Send everything by recorded delivery to prove they have received your correspondence. Don’t sit down with your head in the sand. Formulate a realistic plan that you can afford to pay. Food and necessities come first, debt last.

» Add a new message to this topic