FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Recurring Stomach Ulcers

Recurring Stomach Ulcers

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oxy_minx OP   Woman  over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

*warning boring post*

I had my first one about two years ago, caused by long term pain meds (diclofenac at the time) due to long term back pain, It has come back again about 2 months ago (I am currently on dihydrocodeine) and I was again put on omeprazole temporarily for 28 days and once I stopped the symptoms came back (thank god I still had some left over meds from last time) so I started them again. I tried over the weekend to come off them again to see if it had cleared but today some symptoms came back, feeling sick, constant burping and unable to eat (waste of a good bloody steak) but I will obviously now go back to the doctors and say I might need this on repeat prescription for future.

Does anyone else suffer from this condition and if so, how do you manage the symptoms? I hate the nauseous feeling and I am hoping not to wake up in the night being sick. Do you have any other tricks that have helped you overcome this condition? All suggestions more than welcome, as I really can't take much more to be honest

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Diclofenac screwed up my stomach too. I had to take omeprazole for about 6 months because of it.

Scotland - Aberdeen

"Diclofenac screwed up my stomach too. I had to take omeprazole for about 6 months because of it. "

It's not nice is it?

Ranitidine.

Scotland - Aberdeen

"Ranitidine."

And what is that?

It's basically a heavy-duty antacid that you can take when needed, you can buy it from pound shops. It's the drug that was in Zantac, I think.

By *BWandhusbandCouple  over a year ago

Midlands

I don't have an ulcer (that I know of) but I do have gastric issues and take Omeperazole sometimes. I take a daily dose of Mastic Gum to keep things under control. Works well for me.

Hope you get it sorted, op.

Katie.

Not really. First I knew of it was I had a build up of acid which caused a vasovagal response and caused me to lose consciousness at work. I woke up in the back of an ambulance not knowing what had happened.

I have a few trigger foods, but ones that I love - steak, mac&cheese etc. I take one of these (150mg) before eating these foods, works superbly.

Scotland - Aberdeen

"It's basically a heavy-duty antacid that you can take when needed, you can buy it from pound shops. It's the drug that was in Zantac, I think."

Thank you, I am currently using Gaviscon tablets when needed

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Ive been on diclofenic donkies years. I get the nausea and it sometimes makes me bleed but no ulcer

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Drink milk? Anti-acids.....I’d start going down the diet route and wean yourself off the meds long term. I know about fucking back pain. Oral morphine for a while.

Scotland - Aberdeen

Another user has suggested 1/2 a dozen almond nuts daily to keep thing under controls if you want to try it which I will be

By *cduck and Blue eyesCouple  over a year ago

nr chester

Hi foxy, ranitidine will not protect you’re tummy it will just ease symptoms, you still need to protect your tummy, I suggest a medication review with your gp and ask them for a plan to settle things down and a plan to put into action when things flare up, fingers crossed you have a good gp, failing this a good pharmacist will advise you and help with a plan to take to the gp if needed, good luck Mrs blue eyes

"It's basically a heavy-duty antacid that you can take when needed, you can buy it from pound shops. It's the drug that was in Zantac, I think.

Thank you, I am currently using Gaviscon tablets when needed "

To be honest, Gaviscon is kind of plastic medicine. It contains pretty much the same stuff as in those cheap, fruit flavoured antacids. I've never found it to be effective.

Scotland - Aberdeen

"Drink milk? Anti-acids.....I’d start going down the diet route and wean yourself off the meds long term. I know about fucking back pain. Oral morphine for a while. "

I'm trying hence why I didn't take any over the weekend, not working though. I don't like milk so tried strawberry flavoured to see if that helped and maybe just a little bit.

Back pain is a bastard!

Have a look at the NHS site about ranitidine is the best advice I can give.

Scotland - Aberdeen

"Hi foxy, ranitidine will not protect you’re tummy it will just ease symptoms, you still need to protect your tummy, I suggest a medication review with your gp and ask them for a plan to settle things down and a plan to put into action when things flare up, fingers crossed you have a good gp, failing this a good pharmacist will advise you and help with a plan to take to the gp if needed, good luck Mrs blue eyes "

Thanks, I know I need a follow up hence why I posted this looking for further suggestions so I can go with more knowledge than I currently have

nr chester

"Hi foxy, ranitidine will not protect you’re tummy it will just ease symptoms, you still need to protect your tummy, I suggest a medication review with your gp and ask them for a plan to settle things down and a plan to put into action when things flare up, fingers crossed you have a good gp, failing this a good pharmacist will advise you and help with a plan to take to the gp if needed, good luck Mrs blue eyes

Thanks, I know I need a follow up hence why I posted this looking for further suggestions so I can go with more knowledge than I currently have "

. I’d pop for a consult with your pharmacist then, he or she can have a look at any medicines you take and will go through your symptoms, they will happily give you lots of advice and suggestions to go armed to the gp with, they are very good generally, good luck Mrs blue eyes

Scotland - Aberdeen

"Hi foxy, ranitidine will not protect you’re tummy it will just ease symptoms, you still need to protect your tummy, I suggest a medication review with your gp and ask them for a plan to settle things down and a plan to put into action when things flare up, fingers crossed you have a good gp, failing this a good pharmacist will advise you and help with a plan to take to the gp if needed, good luck Mrs blue eyes

Thanks, I know I need a follow up hence why I posted this looking for further suggestions so I can go with more knowledge than I currently have . I’d pop for a consult with your pharmacist then, he or she can have a look at any medicines you take and will go through your symptoms, they will happily give you lots of advice and suggestions to go armed to the gp with, they are very good generally, good luck Mrs blue eyes "

I've tried this but the pharmacist didn't suggest what another poster has advised, they only had the choice of Gaviscon or Rennies

Having been on prednisolone and naproxen for years with the acid reducers I’ve killed my stomach.

Had lots of biopsies done recently due to severe stomach damage.

I take high levels of the acid reducers everyday now, without fail. And watch my food and drink.

"Drink milk? Anti-acids.....I’d start going down the diet route and wean yourself off the meds long term. I know about fucking back pain. Oral morphine for a while. "

Milk whilst it initially coats the stomach is an acid producer which I now steer clear of.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"*warning boring post*

I had my first one about two years ago, caused by long term pain meds (diclofenac at the time) due to long term back pain, It has come back again about 2 months ago (I am currently on dihydrocodeine) and I was again put on omeprazole temporarily for 28 days and once I stopped the symptoms came back (thank god I still had some left over meds from last time) so I started them again. I tried over the weekend to come off them again to see if it had cleared but today some symptoms came back, feeling sick, constant burping and unable to eat (waste of a good bloody steak) but I will obviously now go back to the doctors and say I might need this on repeat prescription for future.

Does anyone else suffer from this condition and if so, how do you manage the symptoms? I hate the nauseous feeling and I am hoping not to wake up in the night being sick. Do you have any other tricks that have helped you overcome this condition? All suggestions more than welcome, as I really can't take much more to be honest"

Omeprazole take it for a long time,it is good.I take similar twice a day for life.It is safe so insist your docror keeps you on it

"*warning boring post*

Does anyone else suffer from this condition and if so, how do you manage the symptoms? I hate the nauseous feeling and I am hoping not to wake up in the night being sick. Do you have any other tricks that have helped you overcome this condition? All suggestions more than welcome, as I really can't take much more to be honestOmeprazole take it for a long time,it is good.I take similar twice a day for life.It is safe so insist your docror keeps you on it"

Exactly, if I stop and start I get issues.

Now on the highest dose every day and so much better.

nr chester

Thanks, I know I need a follow up hence why I posted this looking for further suggestions so I can go with more knowledge than I currently have . I’d pop for a consult with your pharmacist then, he or she can have a look at any medicines you take and will go through your symptoms, they will happily give you lots of advice and suggestions to go armed to the gp with, they are very good generally, good luck Mrs blue eyes

I've tried this but the pharmacist didn't suggest what another poster has advised, they only had the choice of Gaviscon or Rennies "

. Mmm not the best pharmacist then, a good one will sit down with you and give you a proper consultation, they can discuss all your medication and symptoms, and give you an action plan for your gp, not gsl meds( over the counter) but prescription meds, i’m sorry you’ve a not so good experience with the one you tried, it’s a shame as they can be really good, good luck hopefully you’ll get what you need, Mrs blue eyesxxxx

Scotland - Aberdeen

"*warning boring post*

Does anyone else suffer from this condition and if so, how do you manage the symptoms? I hate the nauseous feeling and I am hoping not to wake up in the night being sick. Do you have any other tricks that have helped you overcome this condition? All suggestions more than welcome, as I really can't take much more to be honestOmeprazole take it for a long time,it is good.I take similar twice a day for life.It is safe so insist your docror keeps you on it"

It seems I am getting exactly the same

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

Can I also suggest Mastic gum capsules(mastika) from health shop. It is a natural product which has antibiotic and healing properties. I had a nasty bacterial infection in my stomach and had two rounds of very aggressive antibiotics, which didn't work, took the Mastika for 6 weeks and the infection was totally eradicated, my gp couldn't believe it. Good for healing ulcers and controlling stomach acid. Good luck.

"Can I also suggest Mastic gum capsules(mastika) from health shop. It is a natural product which has antibiotic and healing properties. I had a nasty bacterial infection in my stomach and had two rounds of very aggressive antibiotics, which didn't work, took the Mastika for 6 weeks and the infection was totally eradicated, my gp couldn't believe it. Good for healing ulcers and controlling stomach acid. Good luck."

Great tip will look into it

By *amanthajonestsTV/TS  over a year ago

Glasgow

Ask your GP for a medication review. There are alternative medications which might be more useful. I unfortunately had a burst stomach ulcer around 2004 so always recommend involving doctors. Least pleasant thing I've ever experienced and I'm frankly lucky to still be here. Good luck getting it sorted as its a horrible thing to endure.

I had naproxen for years I now take Lansaprazole daily for acid reflux due to damage of stomach lining and don’t eat trigger foods like fried foods etc

chelmsford

"Can I also suggest Mastic gum capsules(mastika) from health shop. It is a natural product which has antibiotic and healing properties. I had a nasty bacterial infection in my stomach and had two rounds of very aggressive antibiotics, which didn't work, took the Mastika for 6 weeks and the infection was totally eradicated, my gp couldn't believe it. Good for healing ulcers and controlling stomach acid. Good luck.

Great tip will look into it "

chelmsford

"I had naproxen for years I now take Lansaprazole daily for acid reflux due to damage of stomach lining and don’t eat trigger foods like fried foods etc "

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

[Removed by poster at 17/07/18 09:26:16]

yumsville

Have you thought about a good probiotic? I've just been looking at them this morning. They are not all created equal so google what they contain if you do.

Look into alkaline diet and something called dragons blood, which is used in the Amazon for this . 3 drops in water three times a day ????

yumsville

"Omeprazole take it for a long time,it is good.I take similar twice a day for life.It is safe so insist your docror keeps you on it"

Omeprazole stops you absorbing nutrients (look up Omeprazole + nutrition), it reduces stomach acid so can lead to an array of deficiencies. Ideally you shouldn't be on it for life but in some instances it'd be unavoidable, it is a PPI (an inhibitor - reducing acid, reducing gut function).

By *hatYorkLadMan  over a year ago

York

I've got a hiatus hernia and had struggled with awful acid problems for years before I decided to go to the doctors. I'm on one Lansoprazole a day now and it's sorted me right out, I can eat and drink what I like without my stomach and chest feeling like I've drank molten lava.

» Add a new message to this topic