FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Dog sitting

Dog sitting

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

So, I have four dogs. Three chihuahua x pugs and one pug. In December 2016 a woman I knew bought her son a chihuahua for his Christmas as he liked ours so much. But she wanted ‘Santa’ to bring him, so we looked after him for ten days. No charge.

Since then, she has looked after Benji (chihuahua x pug) and Draco (pug) a handful of times. We never charged each other rates because we were always doing the other one a favour, and they enjoyed having our boys staying, and we enjoyed her dog staying with us.

Yesterday she came and took her wee dog home. He had stayed with us for two and a half weeks. We told her we would need paid (before he even came to us) as it’s a long time. She was fine with this. For some reason he gets the shits, but she insisted that was normal. So he shat all over our living room and kitchen, even though he was taken out very often. Not to worry though, we had the house cleaned. Spent a fortune on cleaning supplies. He also hasn’t been done, and neither has my Draco, so he was peeing everywhere too (we expected this).

She asked us how much she is due us. I had no clue, but looked up local boarders and came to a very very low price. Before I tell you all how much I’m asking for; how much would you charge?

Bearing in mind I don’t have a back door. In order to take my dogs into the garden, I need to carry them. I can carry 3 of my dogs at a time and Lily will actually walk from the house to the garden without running away. With her dog staying, it was two trips.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *innamon!Woman  over a year ago

no matter

Tenner a day plus expenses minimum

By *tonMessCouple  over a year ago

Slough Windsor ish

Well I'd expect to be charged in the region off £40 a day by local kennels.

By *SAchickWoman  over a year ago

Hillside desolate

Theres no price I'd find acceptable to let someone's dog shit all over my house, so whatever you charged probably wasn't enough!

She said that a family member put her dog into the cheapest boarders they could find locally and it was £20 a day for those two and a half weeks. So we said well, £100.

And nope, she won’t pay a thing. Said she’s out of pocket as last time my dogs stayed, her dog ended up with flees (which, passed onto my dogs. My two girls weren’t staying there and stayed elsewhere and never had flees). We offered to pay for treatment, so we paid half. She’s now asking for £30 for treatment as she’s out of pocket apparently.

Yep, our own fault for not agreeing on a price beforehand, but I’ve known her for a while (I used to look after her son at my previous job) and we’ve never had any issue whatsoever, and she’s usually lovely. We’re skint as we’ve paid to clean our house. And looks like we won’t be getting anything

By *uckymooMan  over a year ago

Mid-Cheshire

Bet your house stinks

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

No good deed goes unpunished!

I’ve already told her I won’t be taking her dog again. Which is a shame because he’s a lovely wee dog and our dogs get on so well with him. But it was a nightmare us having him. She’s not from Scotland and all her family live out of country so she really has no one else to take the dog (her auntie stays here but they went away together to see family).

By *ids_NaughtyCouple  over a year ago

West Midlands

Judge Rinder!

"Bet your house stinks"

Not any more - stunk of shit, then of bleach and other cleaning products, now it’s a nice, normal smelling house again

I mean, I was having to pull out the fridge, washing machine, wash all the blankets and dog beds almost every other day. The amount of kitchen roll we went through too is unreal!

By *innie The MinxWoman  over a year ago

Under the Duvet

Ah well, learning curve I guess. Next time she asks say no.

By *SAchickWoman  over a year ago

Hillside desolate

"I’ve already told her I won’t be taking her dog again. Which is a shame because he’s a lovely wee dog and our dogs get on so well with him. But it was a nightmare us having him. She’s not from Scotland and all her family live out of country so she really has no one else to take the dog (her auntie stays here but they went away together to see family). "

Ah well, see how she likes it when she has to pay boarding kennel prices

It isnt normal either for the dog to constantly have the shits as it will suffer with dehydration surely x

By *tonMessCouple  over a year ago

Slough Windsor ish

Not good... And of course by saying you won't have him again you are kind of also saying she won't have to have yours again.

We have cats, of the house variety, they don't go out, ever. We have my mum pop in to sort them when we go away but she refuses point blank to do their litter boxes. They get done daily when we are here. (So no, our flat does not drink of cats!) We are away for 10 days the end of the month, I'm dreading coming home to it. I've asked if she will just do them every two or three days and she's said she will see. One of ours is half Persian and needs daily grooming... She's lucky if she gets brushed at all when we've been away before.

We love our cats but they make holidays a stress.

"It isnt normal either for the dog to constantly have the shits as it will suffer with dehydration surely x"

It’s not quite the shits but his poo is...I dunno how to describe it. Mushy? Not normal anyway. I thought it was maybe because of his food but dunno

"Not good... And of course by saying you won't have him again you are kind of also saying she won't have to have yours again.

We have cats, of the house variety, they don't go out, ever. We have my mum pop in to sort them when we go away but she refuses point blank to do their litter boxes. They get done daily when we are here. (So no, our flat does not drink of cats!) We are away for 10 days the end of the month, I'm dreading coming home to it. I've asked if she will just do them every two or three days and she's said she will see. One of ours is half Persian and needs daily grooming... She's lucky if she gets brushed at all when we've been away before.

We love our cats but they make holidays a stress."

Oh I feel your pain! When I lived at home we had cats and it was awful trying to arrange care for them. It’s the exact same for our dogs. All of my family have dogs so when we go away we don’t want to give all four of our dogs to one person, so the girls usually go to my aunties and the boys either with this woman or my parents. But we sometimes go away with my parents so it’s awkward trying to find care! Draco’s breeder says he’d look after him in a heartbeat (he adores Draco) but I’d still have to find somewhere for Benji

By *elma and ShaggyCouple  over a year ago

Bedworth

"Not good... And of course by saying you won't have him again you are kind of also saying she won't have to have yours again.

We love our cats but they make holidays a stress."

A cat sitter may be the way to go. We’ve been investigating the costs of cat sitters as our oldest girl was diagnosed with diabetes 3 weeks ago and needs insulin injections twice a day. We used to get a neighbour to pop in and sort food/ litter trays but we can’t put the pressure of injections on him, he wouldn’t cope with that. From what I’ve seen so far, a local professional cat sitter who is a trained vet nurse will come in twice a day, feed the rabble, sort litter trays, do Polly’s insulin injections and only charges £15

"It isnt normal either for the dog to constantly have the shits as it will suffer with dehydration surely x

It’s not quite the shits but his poo is...I dunno how to describe it. Mushy? Not normal anyway. I thought it was maybe because of his food but dunno "

Maybe something in the dogs diet that doesn't agree with em but I guess only a vet will know that x

By *innamon!Woman  over a year ago

no matter

Our answer to pet sitting issues is separate holidays for the past 17 years.

There are plenty of dog boarding places about. you could however go to local vet clinic and see if any of the nurses would be prepared to house sit or visit. You would have to pay them of course. Some of our nurses house sit.

Check with your local council because you could actually be breaking the law by taking payment for animal boarding without a license, in some areas (like mine) you can only take payment for boarding with a valid council license. It’s a ridiculous fine and something like a year in prison if you’re caught

By *havenpussycatsCouple  over a year ago

Cambridgeshire

We pay £25 in Cambridgeshire for large dog to stay overnight. £100 for 2+ weeks is super reasonable. Sounds like a nasty piece of work.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

"So, I have four dogs. Three chihuahua x pugs and one pug. In December 2016 a woman I knew bought her son a chihuahua for his Christmas as he liked ours so much. But she wanted ‘Santa’ to bring him, so we looked after him for ten days. No charge.

Since then, she has looked after Benji (chihuahua x pug) and Draco (pug) a handful of times. We never charged each other rates because we were always doing the other one a favour, and they enjoyed having our boys staying, and we enjoyed her dog staying with us.

Yesterday she came and took her wee dog home. He had stayed with us for two and a half weeks. We told her we would need paid (before he even came to us) as it’s a long time. She was fine with this. For some reason he gets the shits, but she insisted that was normal. So he shat all over our living room and kitchen, even though he was taken out very often. Not to worry though, we had the house cleaned. Spent a fortune on cleaning supplies. He also hasn’t been done, and neither has my Draco, so he was peeing everywhere too (we expected this).

She asked us how much she is due us. I had no clue, but looked up local boarders and came to a very very low price. Before I tell you all how much I’m asking for; how much would you charge?

Bearing in mind I don’t have a back door. In order to take my dogs into the garden, I need to carry them. I can carry 3 of my dogs at a time and Lily will actually walk from the house to the garden without running away. With her dog staying, it was two trips. "

We got charged a day rate of £17.00 for daytime, extra £10 for the night. We have a Shih Tzu, who is no real trouble apart from annoying bigger dogs.

you should of caged them then they would probably not shit there till you took them out. dogs dont mind being caged as it gives them security.

We bought a rescue dog for my nan, he was rubbish, when she had a fall he just sat on her and fell asleep.

I bought a little dog, but he kept biting my guitar pedal, well he was (wait for it) a Chewwahwah.

» Add a new message to this topic