FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > The economy

The economy

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *he Happy Man OP   Man  over a year ago

Merseyside

Does the state of our and the rest of the world economies worry you?

Apparently the Italian Government has said they may have to take peoples savings from their bank accounts to help the economy. You can be sure if needs be our Government would do the same. Apparently out national debt owed to other countries 117,000 Euros per person.

So should we be worried and start looking at ways to protect our savings by doing things like buying gold or taking our money out of our accounts?

Do you think ecomomic forecasters are right when they say 2012 is going to make the depression of the 1920's look like a walk in the park?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It's about relative poverty these days. Governments who do not provide a minimum subsistence will face revolting people.

No.

"It's about relative poverty these days. Governments who do not provide a minimum subsistence will face revolting people."

oh sorry they already do, forgot they have to work with each other.

The biggest threat is if the UK joins the euro now in order to get the rest of Europe out of the shit and effectively assist Germany in propping up the euro. Cameron and his little gang should run away from the euro as if it were a swarm of hatchet wielding bees.

As for taking peoples savings, it would cause riots and civil unrest of an unprecedented degree. Can't see how they could get away with it and there would be a massive run on the Italian banks as it would be seen that that did not have enough capital to cover the investments (savings) held with them.

By *oantrimcpl2010Couple  over a year ago

Lisburn

to deep for a saturday night

By *uckscouple2007Couple  over a year ago

Bucks

guessing that compared to asian countries, Japan & China especially, the levels of savings in this country are miniscule ... its mostly debt we carry (credit cards, mortgages, etc) rather than savings - esp when saving rates are so low

"Do you think ecomomic forecasters are right when they say 2012 is going to make the depression of the 1920's look like a walk in the park? "

Nope. 2040 will be the next Great Depression. It's a 60-year cycle you see.

Look at the people who work in the money markets. They go in at 20 having never experienced a crash - result: The spend like it's just paper money and don't care who gets hurt, they're still earning megabucks.

Then, they're 40, seen a crash and seen their bonues trimmed, more cautious.

Next thing, they're 60 and two generations of risk takers have made and blown fortunes, but our guy knows what's coming and liquidises everything he owns.

Here's the facts:

1920 - The Great Depression

1940 - WW2

1960ish - Decimisation

1980ish - HOUSING MARKET CRASH

2000 - Recession

2020 - War (watch this space, a war will be fought to level a few financial playing fields)

2040 - If you don't own Gold or Diamonds, you're fucked.

Lisburn

hey hey wishy

Well that's bloody cheered me up no end.

"hey hey wishy "

Hello sexy, wanna CRASH at our place?

It is a bit worrying.

Italy, however, has a huge quantity of gold gold in it's reserves. It's Corporate Debt is not particularly large, though, so if the technocrat government can improve business efficiency they can rely on taxes to improve the situation.

UK's position is not nearly as bad as everyone makes out. Yes we have a lot of government debt, but the majority of it is backed by solid assets. Our debt also has a much longer yield than almost any other country in the world (almost 14 years) which means we don't have to repay it back until 2025.

There is very little chance of us joining the monetary union (apart from anything else, it would require a referendum, which would not get a yes).

UK's biggest problem is the very high level of personal debt and a lack of economic growth. We should really be utillising our historicaly low interest rates to borrow a lot of money to build houses. this would employ a lot of people in a lot of industries. It won't happen though as this would lower house prices for home owners and also lower incomes for those with buy-to-let properties......

Lisburn

"hey hey wishy

Hello sexy, wanna CRASH at our place? "

ok booking flights now

If Germany gave back all the gold, art etc it stole from the european countries it stole it from in the war, they would all put their debts straight.

We have seen nothing yet...just wait till it really kicks off..past recessions will have nothing on this..and yes there will be massive revolts,all governments should go into hiding..me thinks..

"We have seen nothing yet...just wait till it really kicks off..past recessions will have nothing on this..and yes there will be massive revolts,all governments should go into hiding..me thinks.."

it just wont happen.....It didnt happen when maggie was in charge and she's the one who changed our ecconomy so that we got in this mess (destruction on the manufacturing sector, fractional banking, deregulated city, accelerated consumerism, home owning mortgage slavery)

I just dont see revolution on the cards, the youth and general population dont care, we have not had a popular revolt in this country for 700 years and I dont realy see that statistic changing tbh....

[Removed by poster at 20/11/11 02:23:28]

have you ever tried selling diamonds ??? stick with gold everytime

"We have seen nothing yet...just wait till it really kicks off..past recessions will have nothing on this..and yes there will be massive revolts,all governments should go into hiding..me thinks..

it just wont happen.....It didnt happen when maggie was in charge and she's the one who changed our ecconomy so that we got in this mess (destruction on the manufacturing sector, fractional banking, deregulated city, accelerated consumerism, home owning mortgage slavery)

I just dont see revolution on the cards, the youth and general population dont care, we have not had a popular revolt in this country for 700 years and I dont realy see that statistic changing tbh...."

Whats to say history dosent repeat itself ?

Merseyside

"We have seen nothing yet...just wait till it really kicks off..past recessions will have nothing on this..and yes there will be massive revolts,all governments should go into hiding..me thinks..

I just dont see revolution on the cards, the youth and general population dont care, we have not had a popular revolt in this country for 700 years and I dont realy see that statistic changing tbh....

Whats to say history dosent repeat itself ?"

History always repeats itself

"Do you think ecomomic forecasters are right when they say 2012 is going to make the depression of the 1920's look like a walk in the park?

Look at the people who work in the money markets. They go in at 20 having never experienced a crash - result: The spend like it's just paper money and don't care who gets hurt, they're still earning megabucks.

Next thing, they're 60 and two generations of risk takers have made and blown fortunes, but our guy knows what's coming and liquidises everything he owns.

Here's the facts:

1940 - WW2

1960ish - Decimisation

2000 - Recession

2020 - War (watch this space, a war will be fought to level a few financial playing fields)

2040 - If you don't own Gold or Diamonds, you're fucked."

Decimilisation was February 1971.

Merseyside

"Do you think ecomomic forecasters are right when they say 2012 is going to make the depression of the 1920's look like a walk in the park?

Here's the facts:

1940 - WW2

1960ish - Decimisation

2000 - Recession

I would say war anytime now not 2020. If Israel attacks Iran I expect that to be the start of WW3. Russia has warned Isreal not to attack Iran. Another scenario that may start WW3 is if America attacks Pakistan as China and Pakistan are allies. The Americans have talked about attacking Pakistan as they consider them a country that favours and harbours terrorists.

Next year not 2040 millions of people are going to lose everything. This was predicted by Gerald Celente who has an amazing record as far as financial predections/forecasts goes. He has his own you tube channel if you wish to see his view on things. Gerald has predicted things like stock market crashes, the riots and protests currently going on around the world, the dot com bubble, the dot com burst, the prime mortgage scandal etc. All the top news programs in America have Gerald on to give his predictions. When the Euro currency started off Gerald predicted it would fail. Looks like he is right on that one as well.

It is not only Gerald who is predicting financial meltdown next year lots of economic forecasters are. Luckily for me I do not have any debts what soever. I genuinly feel sorry for anybody that has.

"I just dont see revolution on the cards, the youth and general population dont care, we have not had a popular revolt in this country for 700 years and I dont realy see that statistic changing tbh....

History always repeats itself"

Precicely, revolution is not part of our history. Our politics is fairly responsive in that respect, we were not close to fascism in the 1930's, we did not come close to a revolution in the 1870's (the previous depresion to the 2930's)

Next year will be very very tough, most businesses I know and communicate with are expecting a hard year, but things will likely get better after 2013.

Revolutions require an active and interested public, which we don't have. Revolutions require charismatic leadership (which we don't have).

"

Here's the facts:

1940 - WW2

1960ish - Decimisation

2000 - Recession

Decimilisation was February 1971."

Sorry, but I have to correct a few 'facts' here

The 'great depresion' was in the 1930's, not the 20's (the 'Wall Street Crash' was in 1928)

The ww2 had very little to do with the great depresion, it was an extension of ww1 (fascism was alive and well in the mid 20's in Italy, before the crash)

Decimalisation was in (as has been posted above) 1971. It also has sod all to do with the 'English Disease' of the 1970's

The 'housing market crash' you refer to (the jump in interest rates, I presume) took place in the 1990's.

There was no recesion in Britain in 2000 (the slump was in 2008)

"Decimilisation was February 1971."

Decimalisation of the British monetary system was '71...;-)

I have attempted to sell Diamonds... But she wont let me...

We havent had a revolution in this country...

History Always repeats itself...;-)

Is this the end of life as we know it Jim ? Temporarilly...;-)

Do I care... Yes.

Do I lose sleep...No...;-)

Shit happens to us because we let it. We should be like the French. Michael Moore said the difference between America and French was that in America the people are afraid of the government and in France the goverment are afraid of the people. Slightest thing and there 100000+ of the buggers out on the street burning shit down. We should be the same. But all we care about is who's doing well on XFactor

"Decimilisation was February 1971.

Decimalisation of the British monetary system was '71...;-)

I have attempted to sell Diamonds... But she wont let me...

We havent had a revolution in this country...

History Always repeats itself...;-)

Is this the end of life as we know it Jim ? Temporarilly...;-)

Do I care... Yes.

Do I lose sleep...No...;-)"

Ach....Henry V111 and Cromwell breaking away from Rome and the Pope....t`was a poliical revolution writ large..proper job..

William of Orange overthrowing James 11 was a revolution....Catholism went out the window ...

"I just dont see revolution on the cards, the youth and general population dont care, we have not had a popular revolt in this country for 700 years and I dont realy see that statistic changing tbh....

Precicely, revolution is not part of our history. Our politics is fairly responsive in that respect, we were not close to fascism in the 1930's, we did not come close to a revolution in the 1870's (the previous depresion to the 2930's)

Next year will be very very tough, most businesses I know and communicate with are expecting a hard year, but things will likely get better after 2013.

Revolutions require an active and interested public, which we don't have. Revolutions require charismatic leadership (which we don't have)."

Again....history shows many significant revolutions on this Isle..

Georgeyporgey is clearly very well read and knows his stuff, the UK is sheltered in view of our relatively long term debt, whereas Greece has billions of debt maturing in March next year as well as the not insignificant interest to pay, money it doesnt have. I was at a seminar on Friday and an economist suggested that a Greek default was inevitable !!

Here's the facts:

1940 - WW2

1960ish - Decimisation

2000 - Recession

I would say war anytime now not 2020. If Israel attacks Iran I expect that to be the start of WW3. Russia has warned Isreal not to attack Iran. Another scenario that may start WW3 is if America attacks Pakistan as China and Pakistan are allies. The Americans have talked about attacking Pakistan as they consider them a country that favours and harbours terrorists.

Next year not 2040 millions of people are going to lose everything. This was predicted by Gerald Celente who has an amazing record as far as financial predections/forecasts goes. He has his own you tube channel if you wish to see his view on things. Gerald has predicted things like stock market crashes, the riots and protests currently going on around the world, the dot com bubble, the dot com burst, the prime mortgage scandal etc. All the top news programs in America have Gerald on to give his predictions. When the Euro currency started off Gerald predicted it would fail. Looks like he is right on that one as well.

It is not only Gerald who is predicting financial meltdown next year lots of economic forecasters are. Luckily for me I do not have any debts what soever. I genuinly feel sorry for anybody that has. "

Real politick...

Russia has substantial arms deals with Iran...billions and countless billions..

And the building of nuclear plants....enriching uranium etc...

Lots of vested interests...tho Russia is also notoriously retiscent in interfering in sovereign states affairs ain`t they...

Irans ambitions have always been a timebomb waiting to go off...slowly taking over Iraq....predictably....Israel and Saudi won`t stand idle much longer...

Ah well...

"Georgeyporgey is clearly very well read and knows his stuff, the UK is sheltered in view of our relatively long term debt, whereas Greece has billions of debt maturing in March next year as well as the not insignificant interest to pay, money it doesnt have. I was at a seminar on Friday and an economist suggested that a Greek default was inevitable !!"

Ah...commentators were talking about the perilous state of Greece and its domino effect 18 months ago...

Andrew Neil among them...he`s an astute econimist..

trust me there is already civil unrest brewing,to much greed going on and we in the uk are the worst ,our tory guverment is already on its way to making the poverty gap between the rich and the poor wider ,next thing to go will be enployment rights ,back to the days where a enployer will be able to to anything,just to make there capitialist pockets fatter

..you should read up about the Greek tax system, its very interesting.....

yes is it just ,did anyone watch go greek for a week

"trust me there is already civil unrest brewing,to much greed going on and we in the uk are the worst ,our tory guverment is already on its way to making the poverty gap between the rich and the poor wider ,next thing to go will be enployment rights ,back to the days where a enployer will be able to to anything,just to make there capitialist pockets fatter"

Yep...China has set the bench mark....reform your bloated welfare states and idle workforce and employment legislation...then we might bail you out...

"trust me there is already civil unrest brewing,to much greed going on and we in the uk are the worst ,our tory guverment is already on its way to making the poverty gap between the rich and the poor wider ,next thing to go will be enployment rights ,back to the days where a enployer will be able to to anything,just to make there capitialist pockets fatter

Yep...China has set the bench mark....reform your bloated welfare states and idle workforce and employment legislation...then we might bail you out..."

I'm sure many will delight in trying to buy the latest Iphone on £2.50 a week wages

So what when a country defaults - invade them and annexe them, another phase of empire-building?

...or is there any need to invade when you can do it from a remote citadel by destabilising your enemy's economy and manufacturing infrastructure and then placing it your system of economics (a financial empire per se), collecting countries as you go, as you would collect pawns from an opponent in a game of financial chess

Wolf

yeh just murder all your female children yes our welfare state needs addressing but we dont want to go down the china way

"trust me there is already civil unrest brewing,to much greed going on and we in the uk are the worst ,our tory guverment is already on its way to making the poverty gap between the rich and the poor wider ,next thing to go will be enployment rights ,back to the days where a enployer will be able to to anything,just to make there capitialist pockets fatter

Yep...China has set the bench mark....reform your bloated welfare states and idle workforce and employment legislation...then we might bail you out...

I'm sure many will delight in trying to buy the latest Iphone on £2.50 a week wages

So what when a country defaults - invade them and annexe them, another phase of empire-building?

...or is there any need to invade when you can do it from a remote citadel by destabilising your enemy's economy and manufacturing infrastructure and then placing it your system of economics (a financial empire per se), collecting countries as you go, as you would collect pawns from an opponent in a game of financial chess

Wolf

"

Or indeed a the shocking demise of democracy....the technocrat Quasi government of Greece.....shoehorned in by unelected busies in Brussels...ably assisted by Germany`s desire to build a tour de force Republic....so its rumoured ..ahem...seriously tho....strings being pulled all over the place eh...

Yep....China is very savvy at the long term...got to admire their sang froid in power building..

Great post btw..

By *UNCHBOXMan  over a year ago

folkestone

Here's the facts:

1940 - WW2

1960ish - Decimisation

2000 - Recession

There wasn't a recession in 2000 in this country. There was one in the early 80's and 90's, and one in the late 2000's.

In your list of 'facts' you have missed off probably the most important factor why the bankers were able to get away with fucking the economy up; the bing bang - the deregulation of the financial markets by Thatcher in 1986.

By *thwalescplCouple  over a year ago

brecon

"Georgeyporgey is clearly very well read and knows his stuff, the UK is sheltered in view of our relatively long term debt, whereas Greece has billions of debt maturing in March next year as well as the not insignificant interest to pay, money it doesnt have. I was at a seminar on Friday and an economist suggested that a Greek default was inevitable !!"

Yup.

The greek population will not sit still for yet more austerity measures, no matter how its dressed up.

The Germans are trying to improve their power base, and talking in the language of the 1930's. The UK govt should distance themselves from Europe, we are paying to bail out countries that will not be grateful, and it cost us massive amounts before this happened with our contribution to Brussels. The greeks should be dumped out, and the money saved from the possible bail out fund should be used to help the other rocky economies ie Italy, Spain etc, who are much more likely to be stabilised with intervention.

Or........

Encourage Isreal to nuke Iran, use the ensuing scrap between America (Isreal), and Russia/China (Iran) to invade France and finish off the cheese-eating surrender monkeys once and for all, then follow through and sort the Germans out too. Swing south and beat up the Spanish, and on the way back gove the Irish a poke, just for shits and giggles.

Sorted.

" Encourage Isreal to nuke Iran, use the ensuing scrap between America (Isreal), and Russia/China (Iran) to invade France and finish off the cheese-eating surrender monkeys once and for all, then follow through and sort the Germans out too. Swing south and beat up the Spanish, and on the way back gove the Irish a poke, just for shits and giggles.

Sorted. "

And yet it would never occur to these countries to come and sort us out...

Hmmmmm... Or has it....;-)

Hopefully it will all colapse soon and they can start again with a system that works better

Does it worry me? Yes cause the moneymen in charge are not capable of sorting a piss up in a brewery

Nothing to do wi government puppets this one it's to do with greedy ignorant thick bastards who couldn't balance on one leg never mind balance a country's economy xx

"In your list of 'facts' you have missed off probably the most important factor why the bankers were able to get away with fucking the economy up; the bing bang - the deregulation of the financial markets by Thatcher in 1986. "

This is absolutely right. Another major thing was 'fractional banking' which meant that the banks did not need to use solid assets to back the loans that they made, instead they were able to 'create' money to lend (something that only central banks were able to do under political direction so that there was at least some accountability in the system).

nope.

"Ah...commentators were talking about the perilous state of Greece and its domino effect 18 months ago...

Andrew Neil among them...he`s an astute econimist.."

I hope you don't mean Andrew Neil the political commentator, because he's not very astute at all.....

It is true that there has been commentary about this for a long time. The concensus of opinion is that austerity is not the way to go. We tried that in the 30's which turned a severe recesion into a depresion. Government spending helps to support demand, which keeps the ecconomy moving.

Keynes says that people should be employed to dig holes in times of recesion, with other people being employed to fill them up again, if for no other reason than people who are earning money have money to spend which circulates within the larger ecconomy and prevents the sort of crisis of demand we are seeing now.

Cutting 1000's of civil servants does not help to save money. It results directly in a higher benefits bill and because of the reduction in the circulation of money, leads inderectly in more lay offs and a further lowering of demand. It's a vicious cycle and we have been in it for the last 12 months.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Capitalism has enslaved our politicians and governance.

The markets make the decisions that matter, not the people.

We became so greedy that we sold the roof over our heads in the search for money.

Now, the majority are made to suffer so that the capitalists can continue to line their own pockets.

I hope the whole stinking system comes crashing down around their ears.

And ours, yes.

"Ah...commentators were talking about the perilous state of Greece and its domino effect 18 months ago...

Andrew Neil among them...he`s an astute econimist..

I hope you don't mean Andrew Neil the political commentator, because he's not very astute at all.....

It is true that there has been commentary about this for a long time. The concensus of opinion is that austerity is not the way to go. We tried that in the 30's which turned a severe recesion into a depresion. Government spending helps to support demand, which keeps the ecconomy moving.

Keynes says that people should be employed to dig holes in times of recesion, with other people being employed to fill them up again, if for no other reason than people who are earning money have money to spend which circulates within the larger ecconomy and prevents the sort of crisis of demand we are seeing now.

Cutting 1000's of civil servants does not help to save money. It results directly in a higher benefits bill and because of the reduction in the circulation of money, leads inderectly in more lay offs and a further lowering of demand. It's a vicious cycle and we have been in it for the last 12 months."

Fer some the price of unemployment is ideaolically more perferable ...

Why would you say Neil...isn`t astute..?

Jesus fuckin christ after being on this sie a couple of years i finally got photo verified the other day hoping using the forum might increase my chances of bashing beaver but after sittin here 10 minutes reading this thread the only thing i wanna poke is my eyes out for reading it

thankyou im totally depressed and not even in the mood for a wank now

"Jesus fuckin christ after being on this sie a couple of years i finally got photo verified the other day hoping using the forum might increase my chances of bashing beaver but after sittin here 10 minutes reading this thread the only thing i wanna poke is my eyes out for reading it

thankyou im totally depressed and not even in the mood for a wank now "

Move on...read something else....easy enough..

"

Why would you say Neil...isn`t astute..?"

Indeed, a million unemployed keeps the cost of wages down (I don't have to offer good wages as there are plenty of folks who will apply at £2 per hour lower wages)

Erm, perhaps not astute, but he's a political commentator, not an ecconomics one (assuming he's the same Andrew Neil).

I have a lot of time for Robert Peston and Stephanie Flanders (Pesto is left leaning, as far as it goes, while Flanders was a speach writer for IDS a long time back so it's not a political preference)....

"Jesus fuckin christ after being on this sie a couple of years i finally got photo verified the other day hoping using the forum might increase my chances of bashing beaver but after sittin here 10 minutes reading this thread the only thing i wanna poke is my eyes out for reading it

thankyou im totally depressed and not even in the mood for a wank now "

Well done, but why did it take you years to get photo verified? Only takes most people a week........

"

Why would you say Neil...isn`t astute..?

Indeed, a million unemployed keeps the cost of wages down (I don't have to offer good wages as there are plenty of folks who will apply at £2 per hour lower wages)

Erm, perhaps not astute, but he's a political commentator, not an ecconomics one (assuming he's the same Andrew Neil).

I have a lot of time for Robert Peston and Stephanie Flanders (Pesto is left leaning, as far as it goes, while Flanders was a speach writer for IDS a long time back so it's not a political preference)...."

He`s an economist first and foremost George,before he found newspapers and political noterity....watch him tie politicians in knots around economics.....he`s merciless at times...

Yeah....Pesto is ok....I`d rather read than hear him tho ..he makes the complex easier to understand fer the likes of me..

Oh...alot of people will be in virtual job slavery....one of the few things Labour got right was the minimum wage..

bring it on

the revolution will not be televised.....

"bring it on

the revolution will not be televised....."

It won`t be on Facebook or Twitter either...thats fer sure %*

"He`s an economist first and foremost George,before he found newspapers and political noterity....watch him tie politicians in knots around economics.....he`s merciless at times...

Yeah....Pesto is ok....I`d rather read than hear him tho ..he makes the complex easier to understand fer the likes of me..

Oh...alot of people will be in virtual job slavery....one of the few things Labour got right was the minimum wage.."

Labour got a lot of things right actualy, it's thanks to them we have a long maturity period on our debts (Gordon Brown was a very clever ecconomist, just a shame he was not very charismatic).

I read a lot of Pesto on the Beeb (same as stephanomics, shame she doesn't blog very often). All the other links for commentary on ecconomics are on my work pc (which wont let me access fab, or I'd get no work done) but the posts on 'have your say' occasionaly link to some good ones.....

"He`s an economist first and foremost George,before he found newspapers and political noterity....watch him tie politicians in knots around economics.....he`s merciless at times...

Oh...alot of people will be in virtual job slavery....one of the few things Labour got right was the minimum wage..

Labour got a lot of things right actualy, it's thanks to them we have a long maturity period on our debts (Gordon Brown was a very clever ecconomist, just a shame he was not very charismatic).

I read a lot of Pesto on the Beeb (same as stephanomics, shame she doesn't blog very often). All the other links for commentary on ecconomics are on my work pc (which wont let me access fab, or I'd get no work done) but the posts on 'have your say' occasionaly link to some good ones.....

"

I do believe he mean`t well George...Brown that is...

The Tores were following his policies before the credit crunch weren`t they...

Tho , the sale of gold remains a point of embarressment to some...

I`m shit at remembering names George...lol...absolutely crap...I like Andrew Marr...he always fuses some history into his commentary...gives everything context..

[Removed by poster at 20/11/11 19:43:07]

"I do believe he mean`t well George...Brown that is...

The Tores were following his policies before the credit crunch weren`t they...

Tho , the sale of gold remains a point of embarressment to some...

I`m shit at remembering names George...lol...absolutely crap...I like Andrew Marr...he always fuses some history into his commentary...gives everything context.."

Lol, thats more like it.....I agree, andrew marr is very good, not that Andrew Neil isn't a good interviewer, but he's far too slimy for me.....

I wrote this, decided not to post it, and then thought that I was in a mood where I could entertain scenarios arising from an economic tragedy enough to think of now, and a bit of the future. I find little of it savoury, but you may indulge me and enjoy a read on a miserable and foggy Sunday Evening...

Government spin will make it harder to see the big picture. It's easier to deflect peoples attentions with phrases like 'financial easing' and 'printing more money'. It matters not which government is in power because it's not down to a party, it's the civil servant mandarins in whitehall which endure and formulate the legislation that ministers just 'okay' by and large. The machine is run by a collection of faceless decision-makers which aren't directly culpable, and largely do things of their own volition.

I am merely a layman, but we may already be too far gone. We have a younger generation that is totally unprepared for what is in store and more alienated than ever from work and the structure of this country. We are to become the willing supplicant of a more distant empire in time.

As a for-instance...

In the meantime, America, riddled with her financial cancer seeks covertly to destabilise the middle eastern governments and leave them in such quandry that it is easy to install a sympathetic regime to aid the extraction of things for its own ends. Removing once dangerous figures in middle eastern nations comes at a price, but I feel cleverly choreographed to do so in a non-inflammatory way by some very highly skilled thinktank of players. Militant North Korea still being a thorn in the side - the sharp end of the Asiatic wedge, but with the middle east pacified, by and large poses a threat of lesser magnitude - even manageable perhaps..

That leaves America and China as clear opponents. America may not be in suitable financial state to survive China's black hole like swallowing of revenue from the rest of the world. The only way to choke China's growth is to make her imports more expensive. This may regulate her output and make further economic growth more difficult. We have monopolies commissions to ensure no-one corners the market - if this was done on a worldwide basis, then perhaps things would be better regulated than at present.

The Chinese politburo in acquiring Hong Kong immediately grabbed a model-in-place by which to turn into a major manufacting power in the world. The politburo immediately made it easier for chinese exports to be shipped to the west by 100% sponsorship of the shipping fees. All heavy plant items and previously prohibitive paper/liquid products - even sofas were suddenly economically viable to send anywhere on the globe. These were all savings that could be passed on to the producers and consumers, and made local competition completely unfeasible. This aided the decline in local manufacturing. More containers rattle up the local railway liveried in the green 'China Shipping' colours than any other company.

Britain is in the middle of a housing crisis. We have more need to provide housing than to maintain empty factories that once produced our local goods, but now lay empty in ruins. The solution is simple - demolish or refit into housing. Once we lose the factories there will be no coming back in a hurry. It's going to take someone with the patience and grit of another 'Arkwright' and some cheap labour to make another industrial revolution here. The positive side is that our air pollution is probably the lowest in 300 years.

Try as anyone might to cover this, the costs of living are getting higher and higher, the cost to eat and just get by are higher - in order to stay afloat as the water rises, you have to swim. The casualties are the low-income families. For these, poor health and malnutrition will follow. If the healthcare system is overburdened by demand and merely postpones treatment, then this is going to aid the decline of persons at risk - ultimitely bringing about their early demise. A bloodless cull.

If the price of food rises beyond that of inflation, we could be buying a loaf with carrier bags full of money. We might not have enough carrier bags full of money to get in the shop... I hope we never see a time where armed guards sit at the doorways to supermarkets, only letting those with enough money to shop in at the door, whilst the hoardes of poor sit looking through the windows at well-lit shelf after shelf after shelf of food going unsold, and a lucky few people walking those aisles that have by their own fortune enough to buy the food they need to stay alive.

For that scenario, I would rather perish in the nanosecond of a thermonuclear reaction.

Wolf

Merseyside

The UK has massive debt. We actually have the biggest debt in the world according to the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15820601

Luckily at the moment we are managing our debts. That will probably change next year though when the finaincial chaos happens.

Merseyside

Revolutions require an active and interested public, which we don't have. Revolutions require charismatic leadership (which we don't have)."

I disagree on your point on facism. The defintion of fascism given by mussolini is the merger of corporate and state. Now we are not that bad in this country in regards to facsism but the USA is. The government now controls all the too big to fail companies, it wants to take over healthcare etc. America is well on the way to facism.

The USA now is just like Germany was in the 30's

There is an excellent talk by author Naomi Wolf about how bad the USA has become. It is quite frightening. I think there is longer version than this link but this video is good as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjALf12PAWc

Here is ahort readable version as well

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/apr/24/usa.comment

Merseyside

"Hopefully it will all colapse soon and they can start again with a system that works better."

That was the whole plan all along. This crash is not an accident. It was planned years ago so they could bring in a new system. They want us begging them to bring in a new system. Believe you and me you will not like the new system they have planned.

Merseyside

"In your list of 'facts' you have missed off probably the most important factor why the bankers were able to get away with fucking the economy up; the bing bang - the deregulation of the financial markets by Thatcher in 1986.

This is absolutely right. Another major thing was 'fractional banking' which meant that the banks did not need to use solid assets to back the loans that they made, instead they were able to 'create' money to lend (something that only central banks were able to do under political direction so that there was at least some accountability in the system)."

I agree fractional banking was always going to collapse. I only recently found out the banks operate under fractional banking and what fractional banking means.

This very seasy to understand video done that for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc3sKwwAaCU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc3sKwwAaCU

Merseyside

"one of the few things Labour got right was the minimum wage.."

That was one of the worst thing labour done and I knowfrom first hand.

Lets say the minimum wag started off at £5.00 per hour (I cannot remember what it was). Companies who were paying say £6,7, 8 etc an hour suddenly were thinking legally I have to only pay you £5 an hour and the Government thinks that is enough to live on. So I worked for Telewest/NTL telwest/Virgin for 8 years and had friends who started before me. In over 10 years we never got a pay increase not even inline with inflation. When would caomplain and say the cost of living keeps on going up and up we would be told "we pay more than the minimum wage".

The minimum wage done far more harm than good.

So once the minimum wage came into effect a lot of peoples wages got ring fenced.

"one of the few things Labour got right was the minimum wage..

Lets say the minimum wag started off at £5.00 per hour (I cannot remember what it was). Companies who were paying say £6,7, 8 etc an hour suddenly were thinking legally I have to only pay you £5 an hour and the Government thinks that is enough to live on. So I worked for Telewest/NTL telwest/Virgin for 8 years and had friends who started before me. In over 10 years we never got a pay increase not even inline with inflation. When would caomplain and say the cost of living keeps on going up and up we would be told "we pay more than the minimum wage".

So once the minimum wage came into effect a lot of peoples wages got ring fenced. "

There is something to be said for this argument, however, I would say that the situation you and your co workers were in probably had far more to do with the number of people available for work. I am not racist, but (and I know the argument always starts like this, but it's pure ecconomics) if there are 10 jobs, and 9 free workers, the person employing has to pay more money to tempt another worker to quit their job for better money.

If there are 9 jobs and 10 workers, the employer does not have to pay as much as they can pick and chose.

90% of the jobs created in the last 10 years went to migrant workers, it's no wonder the relative levels of pay for most people have fallen in that time.....

So once the minimum wage came into effect a lot of peoples wages got ring fenced. "

Fair enough..

Tho, some on your side of the fence make ridicluos comments like.....

The minimum wage creates inflationary pressures..resulting in the loss of work to Asia`s low wage , high productivity ...

I`m fucked over by my employers.....everyone else should be as well...

It nearly runs into the absurd...the poor create societies ills....

I think a bog cleaner deserves a fair days pay...

I`d rather look around with my eyes open, and ask.....why is the gap between the rich and poor getting wider..

And then ask....why people like you accept the system, whereby bankers, financiers, big businesses and a corrupt political class can treat us like mugs...and have people like you...defend them..

I see Vodaphone is in trouble with tax avoidance again....dubious accounting....mabye its time fer lunch with HMRC...

PS...it ain`t personal...I use the term .."you"...merely to advance a point or two...

So once the minimum wage came into effect a lot of peoples wages got ring fenced.

There is something to be said for this argument, however, I would say that the situation you and your co workers were in probably had far more to do with the number of people available for work. I am not racist, but (and I know the argument always starts like this, but it's pure ecconomics) if there are 10 jobs, and 9 free workers, the person employing has to pay more money to tempt another worker to quit their job for better money.

If there are 9 jobs and 10 workers, the employer does not have to pay as much as they can pick and chose.

90% of the jobs created in the last 10 years went to migrant workers, it's no wonder the relative levels of pay for most people have fallen in that time....."

And then theres the ...shadow economy..

By *oole2010Couple  over a year ago

southampto

in a recession its cheaper to throw public workers on the dole than to employ them as the public sector has to have money borrowed to pay their wages hence the debts rung up by gordon brown and co through what a lot of people call non jobs there are a lot of public workers who were doing a good job and they themselves must have been tearing their hair out by the amount of jobs created within their work for managers etc they didnt need there was one post created in the earloy 2000s for a director of worklessnes in a council in the east of england thats when the trouble started with our debt not enough private sector taxes to cover things like this and having to borrow the money to do it labour never looked after the very core of people it was supposed to represent working class people they sat in power for 13 years and never increased our manufacturing base instead they sat with the bankers during the good times even selling the gold off cheap because they thought the boom would never end the labour heirarchy lambast the tories but they new labour turned into champagne socialists increasing the welfare stae instead of creating real jobs

[Removed by poster at 21/11/11 21:47:45]

Fair enough..

Tho, some on your side of the fence make ridicluos comments like.....

The minimum wage creates inflationary pressures..resulting in the loss of work to Asia`s low wage , high productivity ...

I`m fucked over by my employers.....everyone else should be as well...

It nearly runs into the absurd...the poor create societies ills....

I think a bog cleaner deserves a fair days pay...

I`d rather look around with my eyes open, and ask.....why is the gap between the rich and poor getting wider..

And then ask....why people like you accept the system, whereby bankers, financiers, big businesses and a corrupt political class can treat us like mugs...and have people like you...defend them..

I see Vodaphone is in trouble with tax avoidance again....dubious accounting....mabye its time fer lunch with HMRC...

PS...it ain`t personal...I use the term .."you"...merely to advance a point or two..."

we fought 2 world wars but won't tell the rich people to go fuck themselves.

strange world when we are more bothered about x factor......opium for the mass's

"we fought 2 world wars but won't tell the rich people to go fuck themselves.

strange world when we are more bothered about x factor......opium for the mass's"

Actually 'We' didn't fight any world wars, unless there are any 80 year old + swingers on this website........

But those who did (part of the conscripted, slave army that fought where they were told because they were told too) did tell the rich right where to shove it by voting a Socialist Labour party into government.

The Tories refused an NHS and a walfare state, efectively refusing the ideal that want and idleness were the greatest evils to affect mankind.

Labour did create 'non jobs', but not nearly as many as the right wing press would have you believe (think about that next time it takes a lot longer for a civil servant to get anything done or you can't find a library to borrow a book).

Full employment lifts wages because it forces employers to compete, instead of the employees.

You are right about the opiat of the masses comment, though it is a phenomenon which streches back 20 years or more....

I guess its redundant to argue the toss of where we are, and how we got here...

No fucker knows how to get out of it...

Business is over regulated....High NI contributions..corporation tax..business instead is wise to make a phone call and get a delivery from China..pronto..

This stems from years ago....

Britain with North Sea oil and a vision to use it, could have reinvested for long term future...

Instead we are a service economy instead of a manufacturing economy...with education levels which mean employers find it hard to get a literate young un ...

No apprenticeships, no training...instead we have people with no skill base or pride..

A bloated public sector,and a welfare state struggling to cope with a burgeoning population and a culture imported from America..a sense of entitlement..

Blah...blah...blurb....

Its a chronic failure, that when Britain had a prosperous 3 decades, our political class failed us....frittered away, by egotists hungry for power, and idealogical short term goals....

We suffering the fallout from a failure to adapt from being a colonial power, heads in the sand....

No vision,leadership or investment in our future...the price to pay is here and now...

Anyways..zzzzzzz...

Speaking as someone who's involved in finance on a daily basis, lighten up you lot! take a tip from berlusconi, his country is in the shit and he can't stop shagging anything that moves. That's the spirit !!!

"I guess its redundant to argue the toss of where we are, and how we got here...

No fucker knows how to get out of it...

Business is over regulated....High NI contributions..corporation tax..business instead is wise to make a phone call and get a delivery from China..pronto..

This stems from years ago....

Britain with North Sea oil and a vision to use it, could have reinvested for long term future...

Instead we are a service economy instead of a manufacturing economy...with education levels which mean employers find it hard to get a literate young un ...

No apprenticeships, no training...instead we have people with no skill base or pride..

A bloated public sector,and a welfare state struggling to cope with a burgeoning population and a culture imported from America..a sense of entitlement..

Blah...blah...blurb....

Its a chronic failure, that when Britain had a prosperous 3 decades, our political class failed us....frittered away, by egotists hungry for power, and idealogical short term goals....

We suffering the fallout from a failure to adapt from being a colonial power, heads in the sand....

No vision,leadership or investment in our future...the price to pay is here and now...

Anyways..zzzzzzz...

"

Not true, there are a few things we could do.

a) close the borders. Stop anyone coming into Britain for work until there are less than 100 thousand people out of work. This would get people off the dole again and make work actually pay.

b) build a half a million houses a year for 5 years (i't been done before). This would generate lots of jobs and would mean that the average age for people to become a home owner for the first time might drop below 40 again. It also generates demand for paint, carpets, furniture etc, which need to be made, transported and sold (again, creating jobs).

c) invest heavily in offshore wind and tidal flow energy generation. Make sure that the design and installation of this equipment is done by British companies. Make sure that the turbines are built in British factories by British workers. this would mean cheap energy and vital industries which we could then use to export to other countries.

There are just 3 simple things, I'm sure you can come up with others....

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

actually..... the minimum wage isn't the worst thing in the word.... and you actually left something out that I think is important...

if you are in full time employment (lets say 35 hrs a week)that would be 11k on the minimum wage, you are entitled to claim working tax credits on that... which will actually bump up peoples pay by a fair bit.....

the problem in the uk is that they reckon about 7 million people are entitled to it.... but around 2.5 million people don't claim it.....

"actually..... the minimum wage isn't the worst thing in the word.... and you actually left something out that I think is important...

if you are in full time employment (lets say 35 hrs a week)that would be 11k on the minimum wage, you are entitled to claim working tax credits on that... which will actually bump up peoples pay by a fair bit.....

the problem in the uk is that they reckon about 7 million people are entitled to it.... but around 2.5 million people don't claim it....."

It's a fair point, but why should some one working full time need to appy fora subsidy to make up a living wage? Why should employers.get asubsidy for employing people on a low wage?

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

It's a fair point, but why should some one working full time need to appy fora subsidy to make up a living wage? Why should employers.get asubsidy for employing people on a low wage?"

because its better to get some money back out of those that are working, than for example what happened to my job of 9 years, which was that it went to india because it was cheaper workforce wise... and laid off 200 people, when then have to rely on the govt a lot more....

"Decimilisation was February 1971."

Yes, I know, but the 60s was the run up to it. I don't have the figures but I'd hazzard a guess that the money markets were in turmoil when it was announced the UK would be switching to decimal and a lot of value wiped off shares in the 5 years prior to it.

" Luckily for me I do not have any debts what soever. I genuinly feel sorry for anybody that has. "

If there is a meltdown on the scale you suggest personal debt will become irrelevant as most folk won't be able to servid their debts and a mass refusal to pay will make those debts worthless. Sure, credit ratings will be applied but it's relatively easy to fix one's c/rating after a period of time (6 years usually). That will leave one debt-free and with a low (but rebuilding) credit rating.

A creditor cannot get money from someone who simply doesn't have it.

By *thwalescplCouple  over a year ago

brecon

" Encourage Isreal to nuke Iran, use the ensuing scrap between America (Isreal), and Russia/China (Iran) to invade France and finish off the cheese-eating surrender monkeys once and for all, then follow through and sort the Germans out too. Swing south and beat up the Spanish, and on the way back gove the Irish a poke, just for shits and giggles.

Sorted.

Hmmmmm... Or has it....;-)"

Well, believe it or not, just before the Second World War, America had drawn up plans to invade the UK, so if thats what our allies are doing, god only knows what other countries might be planning!!

Sorted.

Hmmmmm... Or has it....;-)

Well, believe it or not, just before the Second World War, America had drawn up plans to invade the UK, so if thats what our allies are doing, god only knows what other countries might be planning!! "

Do you mean Case Red? Case reb was an opperation to invade Canada and fight the RN in N Atlantic, but there was nothing in it about Mainland UK.......

I would be surprised if the Americans didn't have a contingency plan for invading every country on Earth - I'd be surprised if we didn't have one too.

I would, they didn't have plans for invading Iraq or Afganistan. Oh no, my mistake, it was what to do once they had invaded.........

Merseyside

To me this gets more worrying by the day

"After years of working diligently to raise the alarm on the precariousness of the global financial system, it has become clear to me that most people still do not grasp the reality of where our global financial system really stands. We are on the verge of a systemic financial implosion that could very nearly wipe out the currency holdings (bank accounts) of hundreds of millions of people, and with each passing day, that long-postponed day of financial reckoning inches ever closer.

"If the European summit could reach a deal on December 9, its next scheduled meeting, the eurozone will survive. If not, it risks a violent collapse," writes Wolfgang Munchau of the Financial Times. Two years ago, such language would have been spat upon as "doom and gloom fear mongering." Today it is the mathematical reality across the European Union.

The Polish foreign minister said today that what Europe faces is "a crisis of apocalyptic proportions," and urged what is essentially more useless debt bailout tactics to try to delay mathematical reality a little while longer."

What they are saying is if you have savings in a bank account you are about to lose the lot.

I heard a news report this week that banks had been advised that "It might be worth considering bonus cuts".

"I heard a news report this week that banks had been advised that "It might be worth considering bonus cuts". "

No, no, no, I would sell my house and all its contents rather than deprive these hard working, honest people.

Close the schools, hospitals, turf old ladies into the street, but not that, pleeease!!

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

ahem,is gordon brown still to blame.

or was it gordon brown,who warned that without tighter banking controls,and regulation,.this very situation would be the likely outcome.

harvard 1998,possibly

» Add a new message to this topic