FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Panic attacks

Panic attacks

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I'm going on holidays tomorrow for a week. Normally I'd be counting down the days with excitement but the last time I was abroad, last December, I had a panic attack. It pretty much ruined the rest of the trip.

Over the last few days my anxiety levels have been increasing. I really don't want a repeat experience. Also, I haven't even left yet and I'm already missing my cat and my new foster kitten I know it's just a week and I should relax and enjoy it but logic isn't helping. I'm terrified of having a panic attack on the plane or later during the week.

Any advice on how to lesson the chances of having a panic attack or how to minimise one if I do would be greatly appreciated

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Deep breathing exercises are very useful in controlling both the anxiety and the effects of an attack - I'm sure there's plenty of advice online.

Panic attacks create a lack of carbon dioxide in the body.

That’s why breathing into a paper bag usually stops them.

Try panting like a dog, that can stop it too.

They both work for me. Have a nice time if you can.

"Deep breathing exercises are very useful in controlling both the anxiety and the effects of an attack - I'm sure there's plenty of advice online.

"

Thanks

"Panic attacks create a lack of carbon dioxide in the body.

That’s why breathing into a paper bag usually stops them.

Try panting like a dog, that can stop it too.

They both work for me. Have a nice time if you can."

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely try it if I need to

By *izzy RascallMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

Have a look on YouTube. Plenty of relaxation videos.

Download one/convert to mp3. Take your seat on the plane and press play.

"Have a look on YouTube. Plenty of relaxation videos.

Download one/convert to mp3. Take your seat on the plane and press play."

That sounds like a plan! Thank you

By *vilgasamWoman  over a year ago

The dot in the i

Try and concentrate on the positives of the trip and not the negatives, it’s kinda like a vicious cycle, see if you can break it, sending hugs op x

My only experience of a panic attack is from the Airplane movie. Are you taking a long queue of random people, including nuns, clowns, basket ball players etc armed with various weapons to hit you with if or when you may become hysterical? If not, I'm afraid I can't help, but have a great holiday

Rescue Remedy definitely takes the edge off, also just trying to stay in control of your thoughts. Positive self-talk (lots of rational thoughts) and forcing yourself to control your breathing help.

Also the kind of relaxation where you imagine each part of your body as being relaxed, start from your feet and work upwards, taking your time. It should work and is also a good distraction from the anxiety.

Good luck xx

"Try and concentrate on the positives of the trip and not the negatives, it’s kinda like a vicious cycle, see if you can break it, sending hugs op x"

Thank you Luna. Appreciate the hug! Starting now with the positive thoughts. You'd think I was going to the electric chair, not Portugal for a week

"My only experience of a panic attack is from the Airplane movie. Are you taking a long queue of random people, including nuns, clowns, basket ball players etc armed with various weapons to hit you with if or when you may become hysterical? If not, I'm afraid I can't help, but have a great holiday "

Well no but I could ask one of them to slap me if I get hysterical

"Rescue Remedy definitely takes the edge off, also just trying to stay in control of your thoughts. Positive self-talk (lots of rational thoughts) and forcing yourself to control your breathing help.

Also the kind of relaxation where you imagine each part of your body as being relaxed, start from your feet and work upwards, taking your time. It should work and is also a good distraction from the anxiety.

Good luck xx"

Taking all of that advice on-board (no pun intended), thank you

I very rarely get them but I find that claratyn works for me. I take it for hayfever but it really helps stop that knot in the stomach type feeling and the breathlessness.. I imagine it's all to do with the way hayfever effects me but I have found in the past that it works as a calmer for a horse I own.. I only take one in the morning and another in the eve but it has to be claratyn... X

"I'm going on holidays tomorrow for a week. Normally I'd be counting down the days with excitement but the last time I was abroad, last December, I had a panic attack. It pretty much ruined the rest of the trip.

Over the last few days my anxiety levels have been increasing. I really don't want a repeat experience. Also, I haven't even left yet and I'm already missing my cat and my new foster kitten I know it's just a week and I should relax and enjoy it but logic isn't helping. I'm terrified of having a panic attack on the plane or later during the week.

Any advice on how to lesson the chances of having a panic attack or how to minimise one if I do would be greatly appreciated "

We use cbd oil an the yellow flower spray in Holland an Barrett Bach flower remedies. Have fun

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Cup your hands over your nose and mouth and breathe. You won’t have time to find a bag but just 3/4 breaths will work wonders. For a trip, your gp could prescribe a mild sedative or something.

Flying with someone who is extremely confident helps. When we were coming back from Zurich last year my wife held the hand of the petrified lady next to her and reassured her until we landed.

The lady hugged her and was in tears with her thanks.

Hope you have someone to rely on.

"I very rarely get them but I find that claratyn works for me. I take it for hayfever but it really helps stop that knot in the stomach type feeling and the breathlessness.. I imagine it's all to do with the way hayfever effects me but I have found in the past that it works as a calmer for a horse I own.. I only take one in the morning and another in the eve but it has to be claratyn... X"

Thanks, that's worth trying. I find the knot in my stomach the most uncomfortable physical symptom x

"I very rarely get them but I find that claratyn works for me. I take it for hayfever but it really helps stop that knot in the stomach type feeling and the breathlessness.. I imagine it's all to do with the way hayfever effects me but I have found in the past that it works as a calmer for a horse I own.. I only take one in the morning and another in the eve but it has to be claratyn... X

Thanks, that's worth trying. I find the knot in my stomach the most uncomfortable physical symptom x "

Me too.. Claratyn can make you a bit drowsy initially but not catatonic. X

"Flying with someone who is extremely confident helps. When we were coming back from Zurich last year my wife held the hand of the petrified lady next to her and reassured her until we landed.

The lady hugged her and was in tears with her thanks.

Hope you have someone to rely on."

That was a very sweet thing to do. I'm sure she was very grateful

I love flying. It's the thought of having a PA on the flight that scares me. Not being able to leave when it happens.

"I'm going on holidays tomorrow for a week. Normally I'd be counting down the days with excitement but the last time I was abroad, last December, I had a panic attack. It pretty much ruined the rest of the trip.

Any advice on how to lesson the chances of having a panic attack or how to minimise one if I do would be greatly appreciated

We use cbd oil an the yellow flower spray in Holland an Barrett Bach flower remedies. Have fun "

Thank you

» Add a new message to this topic