FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Drug deaths in Scotland

Drug deaths in Scotland

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *loswingers OP   Couple  over a year ago

Gloucester

Worse than any other European country according to the news . That’s bloody shocking and really makes me wonder what’s so different about living in Scotland to living in England .

Almost 1,000 deaths last year , which is double what it was ten years ago .

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

60 % of population are obese due to bad diet , killing tens of thousands a year , drug deaths are rare compared with this

There was 1235 alcohol related deaths in the same period

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

"60 % of population are obese due to bad diet , killing tens of thousands a year , drug deaths are rare compared with this "

They prefer Big beautiful people rather than obese.

salisbury

"There was 1235 alcohol related deaths in the same period "

Was that up or down? And how did those figures compare with England?

"60 % of population are obese due to bad diet , killing tens of thousands a year , drug deaths are rare compared with this "

In either case its too many, both scenarios completetly avoidable though. Death by lifestyle choice.

By *tingly ByronMan  over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

"Worse than any other European country according to the news . That’s bloody shocking and really makes me wonder what’s so different about living in Scotland to living in England.

Almost 1,000 deaths last year, which is double what it was ten years ago. "

Are the rates of unemployment higher?

Health related, diet, obesity, alcohol, drugs?

Lower standards of housing?

I'd suspect these could all be factors....

[Removed by poster at 03/07/18 18:34:09]

"60 % of population are obese due to bad diet , killing tens of thousands a year , drug deaths are rare compared with this

They prefer Big beautiful people rather than obese. "

I don't. You may call be fat if you want.

"There was 1235 alcohol related deaths in the same period "

Slightly harder to quantify as chronic conditions such as liver cirrhosis are often missed from stats

By *eedsandyMan  over a year ago

Leeds

2.5 times the rate for rest of the UK.

"Worse than any other European country according to the news . That’s bloody shocking and really makes me wonder what’s so different about living in Scotland to living in England.

Almost 1,000 deaths last year, which is double what it was ten years ago.

"

I was thinking that. Do they still get free University education?

"There was 1235 alcohol related deaths in the same period

Was that up or down? And how did those figures compare with England?"

It's down 30 from the previous year. I've no idea how it compares to England.

By *hedevilwearspradaWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere nearby

I was thinking that. Do they still get free University education? "

Yes, free prescriptions, free personal care for the over 65s, free uni tuition.

By *r TriomanMan  over a year ago

Chippenham Malmesbury area

I was thinking that. Do they still get free University education? "

Yes they do, £36000 each given to small percentage of their population, very little (I'm the Form of apprenticeships and further education spent on the rest. Crazy when you look at the stats.

"Worse than any other European country according to the news . That’s bloody shocking and really makes me wonder what’s so different about living in Scotland to living in England .

Almost 1,000 deaths last year , which is double what it was ten years ago . "

on the upside tho, all the junkies are dying, cant be the highest forever.

You are quoting the percentage that are overweight, not obese.

"60 % of population are obese due to bad diet , killing tens of thousands a year , drug deaths are rare compared with this

You are quoting the percentage that are overweight, not obese."

This wouldn’t be a Fab thread if someone wasn’t misquoting something about fat people.

You are quoting the percentage that are overweight, not obese."

There are more obese people in the North of England; do you think the crap weather has something to do with it?

"Worse than any other European country according to the news . That’s bloody shocking and really makes me wonder what’s so different about living in Scotland to living in England .

alcohol is their main social activity pubs are thriving in major cities in Scotland and local areas to and where theirs alcohol and clubs theirs drugs, also a lot of people struggling financially it's an escape I have a lot of Scottish family and know of two drug related deaths, churches and banks turned into pubs and clubs

Leeds

There are more obese people in the North of England; do you think the crap weather has something to do with it? "

Or is it down to intelligence and wealth?

Almost 1,000 deaths last year , which is double what it was ten years ago . alcohol is their main social activity pubs are thriving in major cities in Scotland and local areas to and where theirs alcohol and clubs theirs drugs, also a lot of people struggling financially it's an escape I have a lot of Scottish family and know of two drug related deaths, churches and banks turned into pubs and clubs "

87% of the deaths were from opiate based drugs so alcohol has nothing to do with it

Leeds

And will Mrs Sturgeon accept that Scotland has a heroin problem, and that she is the problem?

Almost 1,000 deaths last year , which is double what it was ten years ago . alcohol is their main social activity pubs are thriving in major cities in Scotland and local areas to and where theirs alcohol and clubs theirs drugs, also a lot of people struggling financially it's an escape I have a lot of Scottish family and know of two drug related deaths, churches and banks turned into pubs and clubs

87% of the deaths were from opiate based drugs so alcohol has nothing to do with it"

alcohol drives them to take the crap

There could be a spike in Cocaine related deaths tonight though as the natives cheer on Colombia

Trainspotting ?!

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

No fitba to look forward to in the summer innit.

Almost 1,000 deaths last year , which is double what it was ten years ago . alcohol is their main social activity pubs are thriving in major cities in Scotland and local areas to and where theirs alcohol and clubs theirs drugs, also a lot of people struggling financially it's an escape I have a lot of Scottish family and know of two drug related deaths, churches and banks turned into pubs and clubs

87% of the deaths were from opiate based drugs so alcohol has nothing to do with italcohol drives them to take the crap "

No it doesnt but hey if you wanna ban alcohol I'm up for that

By *ifty grades of shadyCouple  over a year ago

Carisbrooke, Isle of Wight

on the upside tho, all the junkies are dying, cant be the highest forever."

that's a shitty thing to say, somebodies child you are talking about. Real classy attitude that.

Almost 1,000 deaths last year , which is double what it was ten years ago . alcohol is their main social activity pubs are thriving in major cities in Scotland and local areas to and where theirs alcohol and clubs theirs drugs, also a lot of people struggling financially it's an escape I have a lot of Scottish family and know of two drug related deaths, churches and banks turned into pubs and clubs "

Almost 90% of the deaths were related to heroin or methadone. And a significant proportion of those were longterm addicts over 35. So that's a pretty unlikely reason

Leeds

And how many of them are in touch with their parents?

Most have abandoned them long ago.

Almost 90% of the deaths were related to heroin or methadone. And a significant proportion of those were longterm addicts over 35. So that's a pretty unlikely reason"

I had a good friend years ago his nickname H he's dead used to get his heroine in the pub

By *assy LassieWoman  over a year ago

Lanarkshire

"There could be a spike in Cocaine related deaths tonight though as the natives cheer on Colombia "

Leeds

But I thought Scotland had a heroin problem, so won't it be heroin related deaths as they cheer on Colombia?

I find that offensive. I lost my brother to drugs. He couldn’t handle life anymore after being a heroin addict for 10 years. He came off in but got replaced by prescription drugs which he ended his life with.

Leeds

So what would you do to change the situation and prevent others from dying like your brother?

"So what would you do to change the situation and prevent others from dying like your brother?"

I’m not entering into a debate about it. I just wanted to comment about the shitty attitude.

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I should imagine it’s a wide range of inter-related causes.

I find that offensive. I lost my brother to drugs. He couldn’t handle life anymore after being a heroin addict for 10 years. He came off in but got replaced by prescription drugs which he ended his life with. "

Leeds

"So what would you do to change the situation and prevent others from dying like your brother?

I’m not entering into a debate about it. I just wanted to comment about the shitty attitude."

So you have no answer to the problem? You can't really expect people to be sympathetic. Junkies are hardly a positive benefit to anyone other than their dealers.

Leeds

"I should imagine it’s a wide range of inter-related causes. "

Such as what?

"So what would you do to change the situation and prevent others from dying like your brother?

I’m not entering into a debate about it. I just wanted to comment about the shitty attitude.

So you have no answer to the problem? You can't really expect people to be sympathetic. Junkies are hardly a positive benefit to anyone other than their dealers."

What’s your answer to the problem!?

Brighton - even Hove!

"I should imagine it’s a wide range of inter-related causes.

Such as what?"

I can think of 18 for starters.

Leeds

Please list them

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

So you have no answer to the problem? You can't really expect people to be sympathetic. Junkies are hardly a positive benefit to anyone other than their dealers."

It must be so wonderful to live like you. I assume you have never experienced any problems or been tempted to try something that you found took over your life? Perfect people are so rare that it's an honour to find you here.

Oh you sound lovely.

In a town Fab forgot

Jesus H Christ.

"And will Mrs Sturgeon accept that Scotland has a heroin problem, and that she is the problem?"

they had a heroin problem long before Mrs Sturgeon im afraid

"And how many of them are in touch with their parents?

Most have abandoned them long ago."

What on earth does that have to do with anything?

Don’t expect people to be sympathetic but the only real answer is money. Money the government hasn’t got.

What on earth does that have to do with anything?"

But there parents though.

By *ubiousOatcakeMan  over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

"Death by lifestyle choice."

If you think it’s a choice, you don’t know much about addiction.

"on the upside tho, all the junkies are dying, cant be the highest forever."

Despite wishing them dead, you’d struggle to find a heroin addict who, in cold blood, would wish their existence and fate on you.

"Or is it down to intelligence and wealth?"

Would you care to elaborate on that point?

Most have abandoned them long ago."

Most? Really? Where do you get that from?

"So you have no answer to the problem? You can't really expect people to be sympathetic. Junkies are hardly a positive benefit to anyone other than their dealers."

People who dedicate their lives to this struggle to find an answer. The fact that Poochie doesn’t has got nothing to do with anything. Typical ignorant attitude; you’ve got not the first clue about other people’s lives.

So you have no answer to the problem? You can't really expect people to be sympathetic. Junkies are hardly a positive benefit to anyone other than their dealers.

Jesus H Christ.

"

I’ve had to bite my tongue. I’m not going to let an ignorant guy I’ve never met wind me up.

Don’t expect people to be sympathetic but the only real answer is money. Money the government hasn’t got. "

ignore him. hes obviously at it, no-one can be that ignorant.

I find that offensive. I lost my brother to drugs. He couldn’t handle life anymore after being a heroin addict for 10 years. He came off in but got replaced by prescription drugs which he ended his life with. "

Its your right to be offended. Doesnt change the fact junkies are a drain on society.

Jesus H Christ.

I’ve had to bite my tongue. I’m not going to let an ignorant guy I’ve never met wind me up. "

haha you beat me to it... just

"Death by lifestyle choice.

If you think it’s a choice, you don’t know much about addiction.

Despite wishing them dead, you’d struggle to find a heroin addict who, in cold blood, would wish their existence and fate on you.

Or is it down to intelligence and wealth?

Would you care to elaborate on that point?

And how many of them are in touch with their parents?

Most? Really? Where do you get that from?

People who dedicate their lives to this struggle to find an answer. The fact that Poochie doesn’t has got nothing to do with anything. Typical ignorant attitude; you’ve got not the first clue about other people’s lives."

Thank you. People will never understand the struggle until they experience it themselves or with someone close to them.

I find that offensive. I lost my brother to drugs. He couldn’t handle life anymore after being a heroin addict for 10 years. He came off in but got replaced by prescription drugs which he ended his life with.

Its your right to be offended. Doesnt change the fact junkies are a drain on society. "

I think people with shit attitudes are a bigger drain, to be honest...

Our heroin problem isn't going to go away. I don't know how to solve it but my ideas would involve decriminalization/legalizing all recreational substances. It would allow for better regulation of the drugs available and then there would be no chance of a bad batch hitting the streets and killing people. Safe spaces for heroin addicts to go and shoot up where they'll have access to clean needles and there is someone watching out for them. Like I said I've no idea how to solve it but it needs a different approach from our current one.

By *oungalpha20Man  over a year ago

North West /Cumbria

Apartly the town I live is drug capital of the North West. Loads of drug deaths on just one estate. Gangs from Liverpool Manchester and even London come here

Its your right to be offended. Doesnt change the fact junkies are a drain on society.

I think people with shit attitudes are a bigger drain, to be honest..."

who has the shit attitude? just cos you dont agree doesnt make you right

Its your right to be offended. Doesnt change the fact junkies are a drain on society. "

You could say the same about drinkers, smokers, obese, sexually actively people who don’t protect themselves...the list is endless.

Brighton - even Hove!

"Please list them"
you need to press the ‘reply and quote’ as you may or may not be referring to me.

For the record, I’ve thought of 4 more. Verifiable statistical empirical evidence based facts.

In a town Fab forgot

I think people with shit attitudes are a bigger drain, to be honest..."

This.

You could say the same about drinkers, smokers, obese, sexually actively people who don’t protect themselves...the list is endless. "

im not disagreeing but they all pay taxes for the privilege

"Our heroin problem isn't going to go away. I don't know how to solve it but my ideas would involve decriminalization/legalizing all recreational substances. It would allow for better regulation of the drugs available and then there would be no chance of a bad batch hitting the streets and killing people. Safe spaces for heroin addicts to go and shoot up where they'll have access to clean needles and there is someone watching out for them. Like I said I've no idea how to solve it but it needs a different approach from our current one."

"Our heroin problem isn't going to go away. I don't know how to solve it but my ideas would involve decriminalization/legalizing all recreational substances. It would allow for better regulation of the drugs available and then there would be no chance of a bad batch hitting the streets and killing people. Safe spaces for heroin addicts to go and shoot up where they'll have access to clean needles and there is someone watching out for them. Like I said I've no idea how to solve it but it needs a different approach from our current one."

This, there definetlty needs to be a different approach!

Almost 90% of the deaths were related to heroin or methadone. And a significant proportion of those were longterm addicts over 35. So that's a pretty unlikely reasonI had a good friend years ago his nickname H he's dead used to get his heroine in the pub "

I've realise you will probably consider your anecdotal evidence conclusive but you initially implied recreational drugs were the cause of the number. When pointed out that's wrong you now suggest heroin addicts buy theor drugs in pubs. Most don't because if they want alcohol they will buy super strength cheap shit like white lightening rather than a pub price. And moat publicans don't want heroin users or dealers anywhere near them because unlike recreational drugs there is no money to be made.

I have no idea if pubs are still thriving in scotland buy if they are that's no way am explanation for so many heroin deaths

In a town Fab forgot

I think people with shit attitudes are a bigger drain, to be honest...

who has the shit attitude? just cos you dont agree doesnt make you right"

Because you do agree doesn't make you right either.

Correct?

Aberdeenshire

"who has the shit attitude?"

You. Although I’m not surprised that it had to be explained to you.

"just cos you dont agree doesnt make you right"

True. You are wrong, though.

You could say the same about drinkers, smokers, obese, sexually actively people who don’t protect themselves...the list is endless.

im not disagreeing but they all pay taxes for the privilege"

There are a large proportion of people who misuse drugs, who still work and pay their taxes. In fact, many are quite highly functioning.

A little bit of empathy would go a long way.

Your comments are a drain on this thread.

im not disagreeing but they all pay taxes for the privilege

There are a large proportion of people who misuse drugs, who still work and pay their taxes. In fact, many are quite highly functioning.

A little bit of empathy would go a long way. "

In a town Fab forgot

I was once told you should never wrestle a pig.

You'll both end up covered in shit, but the pig will enjoy it.

Just an observation.....

Your comments are a drain on this thread. "

Only allowed an opinion when agreeing with the majority? put your cock away and stfu

"I was once told you should never wrestle a pig.

You'll both end up covered in shit, but the pig will enjoy it.

Just an observation.....

"

Or play chess with a pigeon.

By *hedevilwearspradaWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere nearby

"Our heroin problem isn't going to go away. I don't know how to solve it but my ideas would involve decriminalization/legalizing all recreational substances. It would allow for better regulation of the drugs available and then there would be no chance of a bad batch hitting the streets and killing people. Safe spaces for heroin addicts to go and shoot up where they'll have access to clean needles and there is someone watching out for them. Like I said I've no idea how to solve it but it needs a different approach from our current one.

This, there definetlty needs to be a different approach! "

I did some work in Public Health around sexual health, drugs and alcohol. We advocated harm reduction and safe drug taking rather than a blanket ‘just say no’ approach. Needle exchanges, medical/clinical staff available to deal with any drug related injuries/illness, the opportunity to talk (or not) etc.

Similar liberal approaches have worked in other countries. Sadly our government lool for far more draconian policies for inspiration thay have never been proven to work

Only allowed an opinion when agreeing with the majority? put your cock away and stfu"

Sorry if my cock offends you, but it’s staying out, you’ll have to avert your delicate eyes.

Only allowed an opinion when agreeing with the majority? put your cock away and stfu"

It’s not about agreeing with the majority. Do you think writing disresptful comments like yours are really needed when someone has written about how drug misuse has directly affected them!? I don’t. Like I said, a bit of empathy would go a long way.

In a town Fab forgot

I've just had a look at your profile.

Don't want to fuck you, just to check your age.....

Only allowed an opinion when agreeing with the majority? put your cock away and stfu

I've just had a look at your profile.

Don't want to fuck you, just to check your age..... "

That’s what I thought a 41 year old using stfu

"Our heroin problem isn't going to go away. I don't know how to solve it but my ideas would involve decriminalization/legalizing all recreational substances. It would allow for better regulation of the drugs available and then there would be no chance of a bad batch hitting the streets and killing people. Safe spaces for heroin addicts to go and shoot up where they'll have access to clean needles and there is someone watching out for them. Like I said I've no idea how to solve it but it needs a different approach from our current one.

"

This very much sounds like amsterdams model on how to deal with drugs. Russel Brand has been saying the same thing for years, and he's quite a clever ex heroin addict.

This very much sounds like amsterdams model on how to deal with drugs. Russel Brand has been saying the same thing for years, and he's quite a clever ex heroin addict. "

Who never stops banging on about it.

This very much sounds like amsterdams model on how to deal with drugs. Russel Brand has been saying the same thing for years, and he's quite a clever ex heroin addict.

Who never stops banging on about it. "

Yeah sorry, I should add he's a quite a clever and proud ex heroin addict

Brighton - even Hove!

oooh! The Amsterdam model. I’ve thought of another. And not a windmill in sight. Eee, damn that’s a shame.

Leeds

Heroin isn't legal in Amsterdam!

"Heroin isn't legal in Amsterdam!"

It's tolerated, there's places for addicts to go, use clean needles and be looked after. That was more my point.

Similar liberal approaches have worked in other countries. Sadly our government lool for far more draconian policies for inspiration thay have never been proven to work"

There was plans approved in 2016 to open a safe space in Glasgow city centre subject to more details but I've never heard anything about it since then. I'm guessing it's been shelved

There are more obese people in the North of England; do you think the crap weather has something to do with it?

Or is it down to intelligence and wealth?"

Northern people are less intelligent?

Who never stops banging on about it. "

That’s because the addiction and the fight against it is for life. Davina McCall is another one. They can never have a drink ever again or go near anyone with drugs around for fear of falling off the wagon.

"And will Mrs Sturgeon accept that Scotland has a heroin problem, and that she is the problem?

they had a heroin problem long before Mrs Sturgeon im afraid "

but did they have caviar

Leeds

"Heroin isn't legal in Amsterdam!

It's tolerated, there's places for addicts to go, use clean needles and be looked after. That was more my point. "

No it isn't. It is illegal. Cannabis is tolerated. Not heroin.

"And will Mrs Sturgeon accept that Scotland has a heroin problem, and that she is the problem?

they had a heroin problem long before Mrs Sturgeon im afraid but did they have caviar "

Who wants caviar when you've got a deep fried mars bar and a score bag

It's tolerated, there's places for addicts to go, use clean needles and be looked after. That was more my point.

No it isn't. It is illegal. Cannabis is tolerated. Not heroin."

There's a hospital in holland that gives out prescription heroin. I'm really not looking to argue with you over this fact. Neither of us live in holland and neither of us look like we take heroin.

Whilst heroin was the most common substance people report needing help with, the use of heroin specifically has decreased over time when you view the data from the Scottish Drug Misuse Database’s last report. Among those who indicated recent drug use, the percentage of individuals reporting heroin as their main drug decreased from 64% in 2006/07 to 46% in 2016/17. There has been an increase in cocaine/crack cocaine usage since previous year reporting, and a slight increase in ‘other Opioid Substitution Therapy (OST) drugs’.

(2016/17 provisional data reported through Scottish Drug Misuse Database published 26 June 2018).

An aging cohort of users really a key explanation for rises in drug related deaths as a stat on its own actually.

Leeds

You can argue all you like. You're wrong. The UK hands out prescription heroin. It's called morphine.

"You can argue all you like. You're wrong. The UK hands out prescription heroin. It's called morphine."

Morphine? You mean methadrone?

Wrong. They view hard drug use as a health issue not a criminal one.

They also have one of the lowest rates of drug death. It's not hard to work out how these 2 facts are interlinked

"You can argue all you like. You're wrong. The UK hands out prescription heroin. It's called morphine."

Do you mean methadone?

Wow.

Leeds

No, I mean morphine. Pain relief in hospitals is often morphine. I.e. legal heroin. Methadone is a synthetic heroin substitute.

"No, I mean morphine. Pain relief in hospitals is often morphine. I.e. legal heroin. Methadone is a synthetic heroin substitute."

Morphine isn’t heroin, although it’s still an opiate.

"No, I mean morphine. Pain relief in hospitals is often morphine. I.e. legal heroin. Methadone is a synthetic heroin substitute."

Morphine is provided as supervised, prescribed pain management, not as a heroin replacement script.

So yes, it’s “handed out” by qualified doctors for legitimate reasons - what’s your issue with that?

"No, I mean morphine. Pain relief in hospitals is often morphine. I.e. legal heroin. Methadone is a synthetic heroin substitute.

Morphine isn’t heroin, although it’s still an opiate. "

Well, technically heroin is formulated from morphine, and turns back into morphine when it enters the brain.

Leeds

"No, I mean morphine. Pain relief in hospitals is often morphine. I.e. legal heroin. Methadone is a synthetic heroin substitute.

Morphine is provided as supervised, prescribed pain management, not as a heroin replacement script.

So yes, it’s “handed out” by qualified doctors for legitimate reasons - what’s your issue with that?"

My point is this:

Another poster falsely claimed that heroin is legal in Holland. Then when challenged by me, claimed it is tolerated, when it is not. Then they claimed that a hospital prescribes heroin in Holland.

My point was - so do UK hospitals, and it is called morphine.

Well, technically heroin is formulated from morphine, and turns back into morphine when it enters the brain."

Yes, I know that.

They’re still not the same, though. Although very similar, there are differences.

Leeds

Well, technically heroin is formulated from morphine, and turns back into morphine when it enters the brain.

Yes, I know that.

They’re still not the same, though. Although very similar, there are differences. "

Yes but the point isn't that Holland prescribe Heroin and the UK doesn't. We do in all but name.

Yes, I know that.

They’re still not the same, though. Although very similar, there are differences. "

There but some acetic anhydride.

So yes, it’s “handed out” by qualified doctors for legitimate reasons - what’s your issue with that?

My point is this:

Another poster falsely claimed that heroin is legal in Holland. Then when challenged by me, claimed it is tolerated, when it is not. Then they claimed that a hospital prescribes heroin in Holland.

"

Agreed. But, _eedsandy, what I’m interested in is your view in how to tackle a drugs problem - what do you think needs to be done? I’ve seen you comment that “junkies” aren’t on use to anyone bar their dealers (horrible term, junkies), and that they must all have been abandoned by their parents - what do you suggest?

Aberdeenshire

"My point is this:

My point was - so do UK hospitals, and it is called morphine."

Fella, if you try really hard, you might be able to convolute your argument even more. It’ll be tough, but it is doable. You’ll be no closer to being right, but at least it’ll be entertaining for the rest of us.

My point is this:

"

You seem to have missed my post about Holland so I'l say it again. Hard drug use is treated as a health issue not a criminal one in Holland, a country which also has a very low trate of drug related deaths

Oh and you are stull wrong that morphine is heroin, it;s an opiate but it;s not the same thing

Can I ask what your specific issues with “junkies” are? Have you had personal exposure and have become hardened to other people’s plight as a coping mechanism for your own trauma, or is there a general affront to you that “junkies” cause, or is it the “drain on the system”, what is it you personally are not getting that you feel might have been “drained” by others? I don’t want to put words in your mouth, it might not be any of these - but what might lead you to post a comment that in actuality is taking delight in another human’s death? I’m genuinely interested.

Leeds

Are you really suggesting that junkies are not a blight to society?

"Are you really suggesting that junkies are not a blight to society?"

I’ve asked a question, not made a suggestion. What was your answer?

"Are you really suggesting that junkies are not a blight to society?"

I would argue that if we followed the Dutch and Portugese medels then they would be far less of a blight. Unfortunately the UK's draconian approach to drug use forces many users (but not all, there are plenty of functioning addicts) towards a life of crime

Leeds

"Are you really suggesting that junkies are not a blight to society?

I would argue that if we followed the Dutch and Portugese medels then they would be far less of a blight. Unfortunately the UK's draconian approach to drug use forces many users (but not all, there are plenty of functioning addicts) towards a life of crime "

Once again: HEROIN IS NOT LEGAL IN HOLLAND OR PORTUGAL.

salisbury

My issues with anyone who has an addiction that stops them working is simply this. How do you afford it? If it's through benefits I'm afraid i don't want to help you. And if it's through crime then i hope someone punishes you.

I would argue that if we followed the Dutch and Portugese medels then they would be far less of a blight. Unfortunately the UK's draconian approach to drug use forces many users (but not all, there are plenty of functioning addicts) towards a life of crime

"

You’ve left your caps lock on mate, it’s just on the bottom left to switch it off. Hope this helps X

"

And once again it is treated as a health issue not a criminal one.

A simple google search will conform that. And it will also confirm that the models are highly effective.

I would argue that if we followed the Dutch and Portugese medels then they would be far less of a blight. Unfortunately the UK's draconian approach to drug use forces many users (but not all, there are plenty of functioning addicts) towards a life of crime "

Not disagreeing with the need for a more supportive approach to tackle the problem, I’m very pro that, but just wanted to highlight back to Scotland specifically and as you said, clarify that the majority of drug users aren’t in ‘a life of crime’. In 2016/17, sixty-two percent of individuals assessed for specialist drug treatment were not currently subject to any legal proceedings or sanctions, while 15% had a case pending and 15% were in prison.

(2016/17 provisional data reported through Scottish Drug Misuse Database published 26 June 2018).

"

Are you still avoiding answering my question? It’s okay if you don’t have ideas - I just thought you did, and wanted to get deeper into the real debate.

Can I ask what your specific issues with “junkies” are? Have you had personal exposure and have become hardened to other people’s plight as a coping mechanism for your own trauma, or is there a general affront to you that “junkies” cause, or is it the “drain on the system”, what is it you personally are not getting that you feel might have been “drained” by others? I don’t want to put words in your mouth, it might not be any of these - but what might lead you to post a comment that in actuality is taking delight in another human’s death? I’m genuinely interested."

I appreciated your PM and explanation, mm93hrc

By *lbert_shlossedMan  over a year ago

Manchester

"There could be a spike in Cocaine related deaths tonight though as the natives cheer on Colombia "

Manchester

"My issues with anyone who has an addiction that stops them working is simply this. How do you afford it? If it's through benefits I'm afraid i don't want to help you. And if it's through crime then i hope someone punishes you. "

There in the main,,a complete an utter societal wastes of space unfortunately, the liberals don't believe it's "they're fault" and so are willing to plough gazillions of other people's taxs into "saving them", apparently millions of animals die every day and humans are the only species in "thrive" mode but we still need to save the morons who just can't be arsed

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

Similar liberal approaches have worked in other countries. Sadly our government lool for far more draconian policies for inspiration thay have never been proven to work

There was plans approved in 2016 to open a safe space in Glasgow city centre subject to more details but I've never heard anything about it since then. I'm guessing it's been shelved "

In fact it's going ahead, opening early next year.

By *hortfuseWoman  over a year ago

Belfast

All drugs are illegal in Holland (I lived there) however they are a pragmatic people.

So residents (law changed in 2013ish) can purchase via a coffee shop.

And.. you're allowed personal use of less than 5grams and for the record it's actually illegal for cafes to sell it but it's tolerated!

they had a heroin problem long before Mrs Sturgeon im afraid but did they have caviar

Who wants caviar when you've got a deep fried mars bar and a score bag"

exactly Michelin star excellence at its best

Aberdeenshire

"There in the main,,a complete an utter societal wastes of space unfortunately, the liberals don't believe it's "they're fault" and so are willing to plough gazillions of other people's taxs into "saving them", apparently millions of animals die every day and humans are the only species in "thrive" mode but we still need to save the morons who just can't be arsed"

Like others in the thread, it’s worth asking what direct personal experience and interactions you’ve had with heroin addicts to inform this opinion.

All drug addicts have the potential to become ex drug addicts and become "worthwhile" functioning and contributing members of society. While a human being has that spark of potential, it is inhumane to write them off and to give up on them, even if they seem to have given up on themselves. Yes, at some point in life they made a stupid/wrong decision. Stupidity has no class or intellect boundaries and neither should empathy for those less fortunate than ourselves! The reasons people get themselves into such shit situations can be complex.

Most drug addicts have pretty horrible background stories that have led them to where they are now. Yes, other people have been through similar and not turned to drugs but, some people are just emotionally stronger or, had better influences around them.

Drug addicts need help and support and so do their families. Society will improve when we can drag those at the bottom, up... not by kicking them while they lie in the gutter, or by judging them as scum and a drain on society! Holland's attitude that these people have health issues rather than them being criminals is a far better approach.

We need to be more pragmatic, stop being offended and embarrassed by the mistakes people in our society have made. The people with more should help those that have less... not condemn them!

Being a drug addict maybe a waste of a life but, they're not a waste of life.

Greedy bankers, expense fiddling politicians, tax dodging companies and the rest of the likes are your drain on society, there's more than enough to go round and to help the less well off if those at the top weren't so greedy and, those at the top could still have a pretty luxurious lifestyle.

My sister had mental health issues and a controlling abusive partner who, when she finally managed to break free from him, took her children away from her for no other reason than to hurt her. She was going through a tough custody battle and trying to kick her habit. When the court awarded her ex custody, she gave up. She went back on the heroin and disappeared. She was found eventualy in a dirty London flat with a needle in her arm. They reckon she'd been dead for five weeks. Her ex lost interest in the children and they went to live with my stepmother.

Before she became a heroin addict she was beautiful and kind, loved animals and people. She had a degree in English and a natural flare for other languages, she was a very talented bass player and played in lots of bands. She deserved less judgement and more help from society than she ever got!

If you are the sort of person that looks down your nose at people like my sister, you are very much part of societies problem as far as I'm concerned!

"All drug addicts have the potential to become ex drug addicts and become "worthwhile" functioning and contributing members of society. While a human being has that spark of potential, it is inhumane to write them off and to give up on them, even if they seem to have given up on themselves. Yes, at some point in life they made a stupid/wrong decision. Stupidity has no class or intellect boundaries and neither should empathy for those less fortunate than ourselves! The reasons people get themselves into such shit situations can be complex.

Most drug addicts have pretty horrible background stories that have led them to where they are now. Yes, other people have been through similar and not turned to drugs but, some people are just emotionally stronger or, had better influences around them.

Drug addicts need help and support and so do their families. Society will improve when we can drag those at the bottom, up... not by kicking them while they lie in the gutter, or by judging them as scum and a drain on society! Holland's attitude that these people have health issues rather than them being criminals is a far better approach.

We need to be more pragmatic, stop being offended and embarrassed by the mistakes people in our society have made. The people with more should help those that have less... not condemn them!

Greedy bankers, expense fiddling politicians, tax dodging companies and the rest of the likes are your drain on society, there's more than enough to go round and to help the less well off if those at the top weren't so greedy and, those at the top could still have a pretty luxurious lifestyle.

My sister had mental health issues and a controlling abusive partner who, when she finally managed to break free from him, took her children away from her for no other reason than to hurt her. She was going through a tough custody battle and trying to kick her habit. When the court awarded her ex custody, she gave up. She went back on the heroin and disappeared. She was found eventualy in a dirty London flat with a needle in her arm. They reckon she'd been dead for five weeks. Her ex lost interest in the children and they went to live with my stepmother.

Before she became a heroin addict she was beautiful and kind, loved animals and people. She had a degree in English and a natural flare for other languages, she was a very talented bass player and played in lots of bands. She deserved less judgement and more help from society than she ever got!

If you are the sort of person that looks down your nose at people like my sister, you are very much part of societies problem as far as I'm concerned!"

I’m so sorry to hear about your sister and for a very well written post. People will never understand until they lose someone in similar circumstances. xx

"

If you are the sort of person that looks down your nose at people like my sister, you are very much part of societies problem as far as I'm concerned!"

Sausage, I agree - until the final comment. And I’m sorry to hear your personal experiences.

All too often those that form hardened attitudes towards others do so from their own place and reaction to trauma - as a coping mechanism to simply “not give a shit” or to not forgive the hurt and harm done to them/witnessed by them.

Even those with just pointedly hardhearted generalised opinions that fail to show compassion and do so with no personal exposure or trauma, are sadly likely to be struggling and in retaliation at something. Whilst I don’t and won’t tolerate intolerance, I would still feel for the individual that’s displaying it, what a toxic and lonely place to operate from. For those that are united through their own trauma, well, understanding and compassion of that and the fact they too are human, with multiple layers and wounds, is perhaps a first step to helping.

"

If you are the sort of person that looks down your nose at people like my sister, you are very much part of societies problem as far as I'm concerned!

Sausage, I agree - until the final comment. And I’m sorry to hear your personal experiences.

All too often those that form hardened attitudes towards others do so from their own place and reaction to trauma - as a coping mechanism to simply “not give a shit” or to not forgive the hurt and harm done to them/witnessed by them.

Even those with just pointedly hardhearted generalised opinions that fail to show compassion and do so with no personal exposure or trauma, are sadly likely to be struggling and in retaliation at something. Whilst I don’t and won’t tolerate intolerance, I would still feel for the individual that’s displaying it, what a toxic and lonely place to operate from. For those that are united through their own trauma, well, understanding and compassion of that and the fact they too are human, with multiple layers and wounds, is perhaps a first step to helping. "

Inured* (not united, damn autocorrect!)

It is sad really that people put things into their bodies that ultimately can kill them we all do it to an extent, is their an answer to this ever increasing problem I don't know have respect for your body and for the most part it will look after you , drugs are not good I don't even take paracetamol but life unfortunately and it's lessons are out there to be tested if it were possible to abolish these unnecessary substances they would be but alas it seems they can't

"All drug addicts have the potential to become ex drug addicts and become "worthwhile" functioning and contributing members of society. While a human being has that spark of potential, it is inhumane to write them off and to give up on them, even if they seem to have given up on themselves. Yes, at some point in life they made a stupid/wrong decision. Stupidity has no class or intellect boundaries and neither should empathy for those less fortunate than ourselves! The reasons people get themselves into such shit situations can be complex.

I’m so sorry to hear about your sister and for a very well written post. People will never understand until they lose someone in similar circumstances. xx"

It's not the lack of understanding but the lack of trying or wanting to understand and the sweeping statements...

I'm sorry you lost your brother too. It's probably made use both a little wis er and more compassionate. I hope we stay in the minority as far as this life experience goes x

Gloucester

[Removed by poster at 04/07/18 12:10:59]

Gloucester

There , but for the grace of God , any one of us could be in a position of feeling like there’s no hope , no future and no point .

Some of the statements on this thread are sickening . Especially when people have said that they have lost siblings to drugs .

When opiates are used to numb physical pain , they help by blocking pain receptors in the brain . Well here’s the thing , opiates also numb emotional pain , and while I’m not in any way advocating the illegal use of drugs , people who use them do so because they have lost all hope and are in extreme emotional pain . To them it’s not a choice , it’s a necessity . To me it’s a tragedy And I’ve seen close friends suffer over the years to the ravages of drugs from alcohol to heroin .

I just wish there was more that society could do to help those who need the help before it’s too late .

I think this is a topic not really worth fighting for as its a losing battle, its an education issue mixed with people just being moronic fucktards. People have used drugs since caveman days, hunter gatherers used drugs to give energy and focus before a hunt, ancient Egyptians documented taking mind altering substances, people always have and always will take drugs but there is a right and wrong way to do it and unfortunately in our society we use drugs with the sole purpose of getting fucked out our faces. We tell kids drugs are bad but this clearly doesnt work so instead we need to educate people that if your gonna do it then at least do it right and take them responsibly. There are plenty of functional drug users in the world who can use drugs responsibly and often to their advantage but most people are not responsible and are just fools. More people get addicted and more people die from prescription drugs than illegal drugs so maybe they should be looking into that instead. Its funny how some drugs are legal and do more harm than illegal drugs but people dont seem to take notice, they just wander around blindly accepting things without question.

The lack of empathy in this thread makes me quite sad.

"The lack of empathy in this thread makes me quite sad. "

Don’t cry, do you wanna suck a cock?

By *inky kissersCouple  over a year ago

South East

Was stunned when I visited Scotland earlier in the year. Not a single road I drove on, including the motorway, wasn't covered in pot holes.

Apparently they've just gotten used to it. Put me in mind of a third world country's roads

By *inky kissersCouple  over a year ago

South East

My point being that it displayed real under funding which doesn't bode well for the population's health and well-being

"Was stunned when I visited Scotland earlier in the year. Not a single road I drove on, including the motorway, wasn't covered in pot holes.

Apparently they've just gotten used to it. Put me in mind of a third world country's roads "

And south east has roads like carpet??

"

Even those with just pointedly hardhearted generalised opinions that fail to show compassion and do so with no personal exposure or trauma, are sadly likely to be struggling and in retaliation at something. Whilst I don’t and won’t tolerate intolerance, I would still feel for the individual that’s displaying it, what a toxic and lonely place to operate from. For those that are united through their own trauma, well, understanding and compassion of that and the fact they too are human, with multiple layers and wounds, is perhaps a first step to helping. "

I wouldn't argue with that!

I don't think they should be tossed aside. There is obviously some underlying problem that has blocked or stifled their ability to empathise and, that they need help. Not being able to empathise or see the bigger picture is a huge hole to have in ones emotional education and maturity. Just like an addict, one has to accept that they have a problem before they can start to change the cycle of destructiveness. A lack of empathy is a problem in society and those with this lack are no less deserving of help.

I think individuals have very different ideas as to what it means to be part of a society. I think most people want a very similar society to live in, some have slightly less desirable ideas on how we should achieve it and who we should include in it.

Manchester

"There in the main,,a complete an utter societal wastes of space unfortunately, the liberals don't believe it's "they're fault" and so are willing to plough gazillions of other people's taxs into "saving them", apparently millions of animals die every day and humans are the only species in "thrive" mode but we still need to save the morons who just can't be arsed

Like others in the thread, it’s worth asking what direct personal experience and interactions you’ve had with heroin addicts to inform this opinion."

2 dead school friends, 1 dead best friend,1 family member who's the living dead.

Don't worry, I've heard the my empathy is better than your empathy bollocks since I was 12, I've got used to it now

"Was stunned when I visited Scotland earlier in the year. Not a single road I drove on, including the motorway, wasn't covered in pot holes.

Apparently they've just gotten used to it. Put me in mind of a third world country's roads

And south east has roads like carpet?? "

Mine does...a red carpet.

"There in the main,,a complete an utter societal wastes of space unfortunately, the liberals don't believe it's "they're fault" and so are willing to plough gazillions of other people's taxs into "saving them", apparently millions of animals die every day and humans are the only species in "thrive" mode but we still need to save the morons who just can't be arsed

Like others in the thread, it’s worth asking what direct personal experience and interactions you’ve had with heroin addicts to inform this opinion..

2 dead school friends, 1 dead best friend,1 family member who's the living dead.

Don't worry, I've heard the my empathy is better than your empathy bollocks since I was 12, I've got used to it now"

Sorry to hear your personal pain. Also, missed the bit where you had displayed any empathy to be compared? Sounds like you’ve had a very hard time to even be hearing about the need for empathy so explicitly from the age of 12. Hope you’re okay.

Ohhh fancy a bit of trainspotting tonight! Love the soundtrack and when spud has the sheets ripped off him

By *al2001Man  over a year ago

kildare

If you were to ask me which European country has the highest death rate from drugs I would have guessed Scotland

You or us.

Fuck it its our thing

Manchester

Like others in the thread, it’s worth asking what direct personal experience and interactions you’ve had with heroin addicts to inform this opinion..

Don't worry, I've heard the my empathy is better than your empathy bollocks since I was 12, I've got used to it now

Sorry to hear your personal pain. Also, missed the bit where you had displayed any empathy to be compared? Sounds like you’ve had a very hard time to even be hearing about the need for empathy so explicitly from the age of 12. Hope you’re okay.

"

I'm fine thanks.

You didn't miss anything, I've got zero shit left to give for addicts, sorry

Aberdeenshire

"I've got zero shit left to give for addicts, sorry"

May I confirm something? Am I understanding you correctly, that your best friend died due to drug addiction, and your view is that you’re glad he’s gone, rather than alive and rehabilitated?

Gloucester

"I've got zero shit left to give for addicts, sorry

May I confirm something? Am I understanding you correctly, that your best friend died due to drug addiction, and your view is that you’re glad he’s gone, rather than alive and rehabilitated?"

Since he is still living , and experienced the awful way his best friend died due to addiction , one can see why he feels the way he does . His best friend is free of the shit and trauma that caused his addiction . He is still here with memories of the loss of his friend . I can get that .

Manchester

May I confirm something? Am I understanding you correctly, that your best friend died due to drug addiction, and your view is that you’re glad he’s gone, rather than alive and rehabilitated?"

I wouldn't say glad but it worked out best in the end for everybody that knew him.

May I confirm something? Am I understanding you correctly, that your best friend died due to drug addiction, and your view is that you’re glad he’s gone, rather than alive and rehabilitated?.

I wouldn't say glad but it worked out best in the end for everybody that knew him."

I understand what your saying. I've known some addicts and many ruin not only their lives, but also the lives of those who love(d) and/or befriended them. Drug addiction is destructive in so many ways.

Manchester

Prohibitions never worked and never will.

It's five quid a kilo in Afghanistan and keeps plenty of farmers in work.

I'm all for giving it away for free at the doctors for registerd addicts

Aberdeenshire

May I confirm something? Am I understanding you correctly, that your best friend died due to drug addiction, and your view is that you’re glad he’s gone, rather than alive and rehabilitated?.

I wouldn't say glad but it worked out best in the end for everybody that knew him."

Which ignores the alternative I suggested.

May I confirm something? Am I understanding you correctly, that your best friend died due to drug addiction, and your view is that you’re glad he’s gone, rather than alive and rehabilitated?

Since he is still living , and experienced the awful way his best friend died due to addiction , one can see why he feels the way he does . His best friend is free of the shit and trauma that caused his addiction . He is still here with memories of the loss of his friend . I can get that ."

Absolutely get it too, I get the feeling of helplessness and relief that it’s done, but I personally can’t comprehend the choice of that over the possible hope, however hopeless you personally feel the chance of rehabilitation and recovery - perhaps not for your specific friend (we don’t know the actual specifics there although I’d always have hope, personally) but to extrapolate an overarching viewpoint that there is no point to hope, to try, to attempt to intervene for others based on one experience seems to jar against logic (for me) when there are examples of what can change/work elsewhere. I feel saddened by that preference (or coping strategy) that to not try is correct, better, justifiable or moral.

Manchester

I wouldn't say glad but it worked out best in the end for everybody that knew him.

I understand what your saying. I've known some addicts and many ruin not only their lives, but also the lives of those who love(d) and/or befriended them. Drug addiction is destructive in so many ways."

I couldn't begin to tell you how much shit his mum dad and brother got who I see still to this day, there lovely folks and then there's the old people he stole, mugged and burgled, the ordinary folks in town he robbed at knife point, the folks just wandering about having a drink that he battered senseless while high as a kite, the school kids he mugged.

His victim list was endless all while constantly saying "I'm so wanting to be clean","I'm on this new program".

Some people are born fuck ups and drugs is a bloody good excuse for being a cunt

kildare

I understand what your saying. I've known some addicts and many ruin not only their lives, but also the lives of those who love(d) and/or befriended them. Drug addiction is destructive in so many ways..

I couldn't begin to tell you how much shit his mum dad and brother got who I see still to this day, there lovely folks and then there's the old people he stole, mugged and burgled, the ordinary folks in town he robbed at knife point, the folks just wandering about having a drink that he battered senseless while high as a kite, the school kids he mugged.

His victim list was endless all while constantly saying "I'm so wanting to be clean","I'm on this new program".

Some people are born fuck ups and drugs is a bloody good excuse for being a cunt"

Let's kill them all for the sake of society

Aberdeenshire

Was your best friend a cunt before the drugs?

And, I’m sorry to press you on this, but you’re still ignoring the alternative situation I asked you about. Is him being dead and gone better than him being here, alive, clean, and contributing to society?

"

Let's kill them all for the sake of society"

Let’s not.

Manchester

I understand what your saying. I've known some addicts and many ruin not only their lives, but also the lives of those who love(d) and/or befriended them. Drug addiction is destructive in so many ways..

Some people are born fuck ups and drugs is a bloody good excuse for being a cunt

Let's kill them all for the sake of society"

I don't want to kill anybody, I'm all for others putting all there money and spare time into this great cause they feel for, more power to them.

I just don't want to pay towards it myself because my life experience of it is the opposite.

kildare

Let's kill them all for the sake of society.

I don't want to kill anybody, I'm all for others putting all there money and spare time into this great cause they feel for, more power to them.

I just don't want to pay towards it myself because my life experience of it is the opposite.

"

I don't like paying politicians huge salaries and pensions but we don't get a choice in where our tax goes

I don't like paying politicians huge salaries and pensions but we don't get a choice in where our tax goes"

Regardless of whether you feel that’s true or not; it is still not a reason to post a comment advocating killing people - or have I missed some depth to your flippant and offensive comment that you’re willing to elaborate on, and thus hold yourself accountable for discharging that kind of view on the internet? Really open to hearing.

Manchester

"Was your best friend a cunt before the drugs?

And, I’m sorry to press you on this, but you’re still ignoring the alternative situation I asked you about. Is him being dead and gone better than him being here, alive, clean, and contributing to society?"

It's hard to say, he could have always been bad I guess but the drugs brought it out in him more maybe, who knows, I've stopped trying to work this shit out.

I didn't answer your second question because I can't, he never did get clean despite numerous programmes and clinics and help and further drugs, he might never have got clean, he spent 15 years as a prolific drug abuser before killing himself.

In a fairy tale world with a magic wand I guess it would have been the best option although the guy he left with his face caved in on Oxford Street while off his tits on PCP may disagree with me.

Anymore questions?

kildare

I don't like paying politicians huge salaries and pensions but we don't get a choice in where our tax goes

Regardless of whether you feel that’s true or not; it is still not a reason to post a comment advocating killing people - or have I missed some depth to your flippant and offensive comment that you’re willing to elaborate on, and thus hold yourself accountable for discharging that kind of view on the internet? Really open to hearing. "

Don't know about depth but you completely missed the sarcasm of my comment. Hard to see how but you did

And then you completely missed the point to my second post to the op

Again hard to see how you did bit you did

Regardless of whether you feel that’s true or not; it is still not a reason to post a comment advocating killing people - or have I missed some depth to your flippant and offensive comment that you’re willing to elaborate on, and thus hold yourself accountable for discharging that kind of view on the internet? Really open to hearing.

Don't know about depth but you completely missed the sarcasm of my comment. Hard to see how but you did

Again hard to see how you did bit you did"

It’s interesting that you find it hard to understand that your words can be read literally. I’m glad you’ve clarified that you were joking and being sarcastic. I wonder how I was supposed to *know* that, and especially in the context of further up the thread others posting commentary re drug users being better off dead and actually meaning it. You seem to have missed the point where I asked the question if I had wrongly interpreted your post which was entirely open to interpretation, and you seem to be unable to accept that a clarification of your meaning was being invited and that your confusion as to how your comment could have been misconstrued is somewhat misplaced when I don’t know you so have no experiential evidence to help me leap to a guess that your more likely intent was sarcasm. Nor does your second reply to the poster add more context to aid the interpretation. It’s funny language isn’t it? It’s almost like if you aren’t clear, you can’t expect people to read minds.

Thanks for your clarification. I’m glad it was sarcasm, even if a little misleading.

kildare

Again hard to see how you did bit you did

It’s interesting that you find it hard to understand that your words can be read literally. I’m glad you’ve clarified that you were joking and being sarcastic. I wonder how I was supposed to *know* that, and especially in the context of further up the thread others posting commentary re drug users being better off dead and actually meaning it. You seem to have missed the point where I asked the question if I had wrongly interpreted your post which was entirely open to interpretation, and you seem to be unable to accept that a clarification of your meaning was being invited and that your confusion as to how your comment could have been misconstrued is somewhat misplaced when I don’t know you so have no experiential evidence to help me leap to a guess that your more likely intent was sarcasm. Nor does your second reply to the poster add more context to aid the interpretation. It’s funny language isn’t it? It’s almost like if you aren’t clear, you can’t expect people to read minds.

Thanks for your clarification. I’m glad it was sarcasm, even if a little misleading. "

Well I didn't read much of the thread

Having said that my original post was full of sarcasm if I'm being serious and think about it I don't want more older sober clean Scots going around the place either. If this is a petition or something to get Scots clean.

What would be the point of that?

Altho in Kildare we don't get many Scots.

Like I said I didn't read the thread

"

Like I said I didn't read the thread"

Clearly.

"My point being that it displayed real under funding which doesn't bode well for the population's health and well-being "

How the fuck do you get from potholes in the road to a heroin problem?

"My point being that it displayed real under funding which doesn't bode well for the population's health and well-being

How the fuck do you get from potholes in the road to a heroin problem?"

The metaphorical bump in the road?

kildare

"My point being that it displayed real under funding which doesn't bode well for the population's health and well-being

How the fuck do you get from potholes in the road to a heroin problem?"

How'd you get from heroin to potholes I want to know.

Thread is called drug deaths in Scotland

Unless they are dying of drugs in potholes

Which wouldn't surprise me in the least

I'd nearly read the thread now

I know 3 heroin addicts who aren't a drain on society. Fair enough they only chase it but they still hold down responsible well paid jobs. I kinda get the attitude of some people towards junkies as in the norm they aren't contributing anything to society at that point in their lives but with the correct help and rehabilitation they can contribute. In Glasgow alone there are between 4 and 5 hundred street users who leave discarded needles, shoot up in public places and in general be arseholes but I still don't think they should all be written off

Aberdeenshire

"It's hard to say, he could have always been bad I guess but the drugs brought it out in him more maybe, who knows, I've stopped trying to work this shit out.

I didn't answer your second question because I can't, he never did get clean despite numerous programmes and clinics and help and further drugs, he might never have got clean, he spent 15 years as a prolific drug abuser before killing himself.

In a fairy tale world with a magic wand I guess it would have been the best option although the guy he left with his face caved in on Oxford Street while off his tits on PCP may disagree with me.

Anymore questions?"

Actually, yes, if it’s ok.

Do you think that, with more resources available, he would’ve had a better chance at getting clean?

Do you think all assault victims wish their assailant was dead, or celebrate their death?

Do you think the way you describe your apparently best friend as worthless is a defence mechanism to protect you from the pain of losing him?

Do you think seeing his death as a comfort for those he hurt is also a way to find some relief from a senseless loss?

» Add a new message to this topic