FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Companies

Companies

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ugartitsandhim OP   Couple  over a year ago

North West

Just a quick question to all you folk, after reading the thread on sharing hotel rooms i just wondreded if you think is best to work for a:

Small family run company??

OR

Blue Chip Company??

i own a small company and THINK !!!! all my employees are well treated, well paid, and happy at work.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

Civil service. Apparently we are all workshy layabouts who take longterm sick for an ingrowing toenail, get paid pots of cash, have job security for life and then a gold plated pension at the end.

(PS I'm being sarcastic!)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Small family company! I found it far more enjoyable....usually paid less but overall I enjoyed going to work! Now I am just a number

Lmao!! Agree with the sarcasim of that!! Hard bloody work and we get screwed over!!

big company x

"Just a quick question to all you folk, after reading the thread on sharing hotel rooms i just wondreded if you think is best to work for a:

OR

Blue Chip Company??

i own a small company and THINK !!!! all my employees are well treated, well paid, and happy at work.

"

for me, it's a small company

i am not one for running to set protocols, i need somewhere i can spread my wings to get the optimum long-term outcome

we all see each other as people not just colleagues and all mix in to get the job done

some have come and gone, but most stay round

i've been with this company 11 years and in this sector that's almost heading for a guinness world record !

"Just a quick question to all you folk, after reading the thread on sharing hotel rooms i just wondreded if you think is best to work for a:

OR

Blue Chip Company??

"

In my experience a small company is by far the better work environment.

I think there was once a time when your job was a little more secure in a bigger company but not so much these days.

But as far as choice, If I wasn't working for myself then I would pick a smaller company.

I don't like being a number and often more value is put on a worker in a smaller business thus making workers feel more appreciated and putting that bit more effort into whatever job they are doing.

Tony

I used to work for a very large, extremely successful multi national company which promoted its self as the premier choice with our industry,,,, ( A claim accepted as being totally valid by most of our competitors) Working for that company was an absolute pleasure in every regard,,,,,,,,

Until we merged with one of our competitors who previously promoted themselves as the cost effective budget provider within our industry,,,,,,

Thankfully the terms of my employment contract were ring fenced for five years from the date of merger,,,,, during which time the new company promoted its self as the world largest provider of service with our industry….

Luckily I was able to retire at the end of my five year ring-fenced term having watched the terms and conditions of my colleagues contracts eroded to a level where they now resented the company we then worked for….

We use to be owned by a family all was good till they sold the company and then that's when it started to go down, like a zeppelin. No training pay cuts £50-£150 a week depending on shifts worked.

Just waiting for the right chance to open up then it's time to move on

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Civil service. Apparently we are all workshy layabouts who take longterm sick for an ingrowing toenail, get paid pots of cash, have job security for life and then a gold plated pension at the end.

(PS I'm being sarcastic!) "

cool... i start in 10 days time....

The company I worked for (the same one that I discussed on the room sharing thread) is a multi-million pound business but when I joined them 17 years ago I was it's 5th employee and the two guys who owned the business then were ex-BT time served engineers and kenw the problems engineers faced. They also knew that a well paid workforce was a stable workforce and we earned well in those years. Unfortunately time catches up with everyone and those two lovely old men retired and sold the business to the younger third director, who, once he gained full control of the company, changed it into what it is today. Sure it's a bigger company, but it's by no means a better company.

North West

From a bosses point of _iew....

I can interact with the lads, understand what they want & need. and then hopefully where possible make sure the things happen.

from there point of _iew "I FEEL" they can talk to me knowing if they need anything i will try and help out.

My foreman will come into the office and spend his days off chatting and discussing work for hours !!! i feel its a good sign of a good working relationship between us.

I feel there is not much chance of that happening in a blue chip company BUT i may be wrong as i have now been doing this for 24 years..... Not sure what being an employee is like anymore.

But the interaction with the lads is why i love my job !!!

North West

"The company I worked for (the same one that I discussed on the room sharing thread) is a multi-million pound business but when I joined them 17 years ago I was it's 5th employee and the two guys who owned the business then were ex-BT time served engineers and kenw the problems engineers faced. They also knew that a well paid workforce was a stable workforce and we earned well in those years. Unfortunately time catches up with everyone and those two lovely old men retired and sold the business to the younger third director, who, once he gained full control of the company, changed it into what it is today. Sure it's a bigger company, but it's by no means a better company."

I feel its always the same ..... the owners of small companies know the job inside out!!!! once that goes it just becomes a money making machine its why they get bought over!!!!

I work a large international company now and I can honestly say that if any small companies I worked for before were ran like this one they would be bust within a month.

"From a bosses point of _iew....

I can interact with the lads, understand what they want & need. and then hopefully where possible make sure the things happen.

from there point of _iew "I FEEL" they can talk to me knowing if they need anything i will try and help out.

My foreman will come into the office and spend his days off chatting and discussing work for hours !!! i feel its a good sign of a good working relationship between us.

I feel there is not much chance of that happening in a blue chip company BUT i may be wrong as i have now been doing this for 24 years..... Not sure what being an employee is like anymore.

But the interaction with the lads is why i love my job !!! "

Sounds great, can I have a job please

[Removed by poster at 17/11/11 11:59:41]

"I used to work for a very large, extremely successful multi national company which promoted its self as the premier choice with our industry,,,, ( A claim accepted as being totally valid by most of our competitors) Working for that company was an absolute pleasure in every regard,,,,,,,,

Until we merged with one of our competitors who previously promoted themselves as the cost effective budget provider within our industry,,,,,,

Thankfully the terms of my employment contract were ring fenced for five years from the date of merger,,,,, during which time the new company promoted its self as the world largest provider of service with our industry….

Luckily I was able to retire at the end of my five year ring-fenced term having watched the terms and conditions of my colleagues contracts eroded to a level where they now resented the company we then worked for….

"

Sounds very familiar, hear the same thing time and time again, the main reason being is that most companies already run on very tight budgets, so the only way a new boss can actually improve dividends for his share holders is to cut costs and the easiest way to cut costs is... you got it, wages and pensions. We have a thing called TUPE which is supposed to protect workers in take overs which it does but only for 90 days. What is the point of that!

I run a small company and don't employ anyone. Last firm I ran I employed 32 staff. 31 were workshy layabouts I had inherited when I took the firm over. Glad I got rid of it.

Now no staff headaches, and the job gets done right FIRST time EVERY time.

It depends on the company. I have worked for both and some have been good and some bad in either camp.

If you want to know what your staff think do a multiple choice questionaire via computer (to make sure its annonymous....

The problem with most firms is the management will not accept any input from below, thus workers feel and are most cases correct, their input is not wanted.

A manager who has been in the job for any length of time and has a lazy, unmotivated workforce is a bad manager, full stop.

By *umourCouple  over a year ago

Rushden

Small and more personal is better! I know that I can rely on my people to get the job done and they will go the extra mile to do it! They have pride in their work and get paid well for it, but they know that although we are "mates" they still have to know where the line is!

We spoke about perks the other day (same day as we talked about it on the sharing Hotel rooms thread) and they are very happy for me to get more than them, although they would like to use the Silverstone box I get to use sometimes... lol

Mrs R works for a major multinational and within her department is treated well. That is because the CEO is a great guy who insists that everyone calls him by his first name, but still enforces standards...

Big company. Thousands of trucks( no,not that one). Just a number but we keep going while the little guys go under. And no need to break any laws. Jobs hard enough without having to do that.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

[Removed by poster at 17/11/11 15:55:43]

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

Did some benchmarking a few years back and was really impressed with Richer Sounds... great leadership from an entrepreneurial owner.

Have worked for Blue Chips and it depends on the role modelling of leadership from the top down and if they 'inspect what they expect'...

Remember an MD of a Division within a Telco lose the complete respect of his direct reports because he would not curb his excess spending from meals to silly things like Heathrow Express... they would travel 2nd class and he travelled 1st and would not compromise..... it was a 15 minute journey ffs.

By *ikeC81Man  over a year ago

harrow

I used to work for a small blue chip company that i left four years ago.

Small companies give you lots of role exposure and the opertunity to see actual growth. Howver the hr policies or lack of them made me leave.

I currently work for a multi national, there are good things. Proper holidays, decent contracts. However there is an endless supply of red tape beurcracy.

At moment i will stay but looking elsewhere to see what comes up

"I used to work for a small blue chip company that i left four years ago.

Small companies give you lots of role exposure and the opertunity to see actual growth. Howver the hr policies or lack of them made me leave.

I currently work for a multi national, there are good things. Proper holidays, decent contracts. However there is an endless supply of red tape beurcracy.

At moment i will stay but looking elsewhere to see what comes up "

Same position here.

Also so many managers, if a worker can't/won't do his job he's fired, if it a manager, they give him/her an assistant, or push them sideways.

We had one manager off for 9 months with stress and they only came back so they could take their holidays.

» Add a new message to this topic