FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Squats - of the gym kind

Squats - of the gym kind

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I seem to have trouble doing squats in the gym, the whole movement feels uncomfortable and when squatting to correct depth, I don’t feel that stable irrespective of weight on there (tried bare feet and wider stance but still no good).

I can deadlift, bench, press reasonable amounts but struggle with squats.

Leg press not a problem but don’t get the same workout as squats.

Anyone have this issue or know ways to improve?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *hedevilwearspradaWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere nearby

This is the last question I’d ever thought I’d be answering on Fab, but there you go.

I’ve got joint issues just now and I struggle to do squats because it’s painful. I see a personal trainer (he’s 22 with an arse like a peach in a pair of tights) and he suggested that I use a step behind me and sit down then up on that. Means I can control the depth of the squat more easily and gives me some stability.

And if your whole post was a euphemism for something else, sorry

"This is the last question I’d ever thought I’d be answering on Fab, but there you go.

I’ve got joint issues just now and I struggle to do squats because it’s painful. I see a personal trainer (he’s 22 with an arse like a peach in a pair of tights) and he suggested that I use a step behind me and sit down then up on that. Means I can control the depth of the squat more easily and gives me some stability.

And if your whole post was a euphemism for something else, sorry "

Thanks for the reply....definitely not a euphemism! I wondering if it’s a balance thing

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

What about hack squats?

Can't you get someone to spot you? It's may be something as simple as a balance thing, having a spotter woukd just give you that bit of confidence perhaps.

By *hedevilwearspradaWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere nearby

Maybe worth a couple of sessions with a PT? They might be able to advise and help.

I’d recommend mine but you aren’t local!

Correct posture is incredibley important when performing squats

Ask an instructor in your gym for some advice, or even observe others and either copy their techniques or ask them for advice.

Most regular gym goers are happy to pass on advice

Thanks All

I have a PT and he does spot me, but he is wondering why I seem to be so wobbly doing squats even with just 40kg on it.

"Thanks All

I have a PT and he does spot me, but he is wondering why I seem to be so wobbly doing squats even with just 40kg on it.

"

I see your tall but do you have longs legs? It may just be worth trying with just a bar? Sort your balance out, maybe something simple? And seriously try it with your eyes closed!

If your PT doesn't know how to fix your squat then I suggest your PT is shit.

No way to comment without seeing you squat really, however I'd put money on it being either a mobility of flexibility issue. Work on your ankles and hip

Mobility

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"Correct posture is incredibley important when performing squats

Ask an instructor in your gym for some advice, or even observe others and either copy their techniques or ask them for advice.

Most regular gym goers are happy to pass on advice "

It would be rather hard to give good advice in text over the web .

The difference between good and bad form can be very subtle

Thus you need someone who knows to watch you and advise you .

Not everyone is biomechanically suited to squats , again you NEED to be observed by a competent person

I have two bits of advice

Drive through your heels and

Avoid lumbar spine flexion (forward curve of lower spine)

"Maybe worth a couple of sessions with a PT? They might be able to advise and help.

I’d recommend mine but you aren’t local! "

I’d definitely recommend this - they’ll be able to advise and help you work on your technique. Pushing your bum back and out should be the very first move of a squat, almost over-excentsiate it, and the rest will follow. A bit of scrutiny from a PT on the hinge movement at your hips should really help you

Thanks All.

You may, have hit something on the ankles and balance. I’ve had a few cortisone shots in them over the years from sport, they’re not in the best of shape.

PT is pretty good, technically I’m doing it right, but I wobble at the bottom of the squat which is what’s making him and me scratch our heads.

Might do some work on stabilisers and ankles to see if that helps

"Thanks All

"

Are you warming up and stretching fully before attempting?

If you're doing everything right and you're still struggling with it stop because if there are areas of the body over-compensating to assist the squat due to balancing/mobility issues you can do some permanent damage. It's hard to know what's going wrong without seeing you squat so my advice would be to cease the activity for the time beung and seek professional advice.

By *enshermanMan  over a year ago

Durham

Our hips may be out of line mine are. So when I squat I raise my right foot off the floor by placing a 1/2 inch mat under it. Might look strange but I can squat in excess of 100kg pain free using this method

By *iverpool LoverMan  over a year ago

liverpool

Due to doing full heavey squats throughout my 20s and early 30s...my knee joints and back are fooked, I can't sqaut anymore not even light weight.

I keep my qauds big by warming them up on bike for 10 mins (at a high resistance( pumping blood into them and also warms my knees up.

Then I do single leg sets on the leg press machine where I am able to keep my hands on the knee to help the joint as I push out. And with the other leg being able to remain straight while not in use, it keeps my spine straight so there's no pressure on my lower back.

If I could go back to my twenty I'd swerve sqauts all together and just have done what I do now.

Durham

Also look up at the ceiling whilst squatting, this keeps back straight.

"Also look up at the ceiling whilst squatting, this keeps back straight."

Shouldn't look up at all, straight ahead or slightly down.

Could be your not engaging your core when you reach the bottom

Or you favour one leg more than the other

2.5 plate's under each heel might give you more stability and help with driving out with your heels

Maybe your going to low. try seated squat's hack squats or front squats as an alternative

Durham

"Also look up at the ceiling whilst squatting, this keeps back straight.

Shouldn't look up at all, straight ahead or slightly down. "

Bollocks your squatting wrong then, slightly down ? Your spine curves if you look down.

I dont have the stability in my knee any more so cant

Bollocks your squatting wrong then, slightly down ? Your spine curves if you look down."

I think you'll find you're incorrect. My squats and spine position are just fine.

By *urity555Man  over a year ago

south west

Without seeing your squat form I can only give suggestions and not definitive answers.

Possible issues could be knee/ pelvic/ ankle stability issues.

You may have a weak core and quads.

If you were my client I would be using a box to help you gain depth slowly but to also help work the kinetic chain in aiding your explosive upward movement

Durham

Bollocks your squatting wrong then, slightly down ? Your spine curves if you look down.

I think you'll find you're incorrect. My squats and spine position are just fine."

What weight you squatting?

[Removed by poster at 19/06/18 14:51:02]

I think you'll find you're incorrect. My squats and spine position are just fine.

What weight you squatting?"

Why is that important?

The fact is you are wrong.

By *irginieWoman  over a year ago

Near Marlborough

So here’s what my body pump instructor yells at us for 6 minutes of squat track hell. He’s a fucking demon and only squats 30kgs (which on multiple reps for 6 or so minutes is a killer). but I guess he’s yelling and doing about 20 classes a week.

Straight back.

Bum back

Head up

Weight through your heels

Check you can see your feet not just your knees.

Feet shoulder width apart

Less weight til you get the move right

Upward movement comes from your arse not your knees.

V x

Durham

Why is that important?

The fact is you are wrong."

Lol wind your neck in, only asking what weight you lift. I never look forward or down whilst squat alway up. All the guys and girls in my gym must be doing it wrong then.

Ive done squats with a bench behind me

My heels are against the bench and I squat until my bum hits the bench

It makes me feel alot more secure

Have you thought about doing squats with Kettlebell rather than the bar

Just until you find your footing with squats

Why is that important?

Lol wind your neck in, only asking what weight you lift. I never look forward or down whilst squat alway up. All the guys and girls in my gym must be doing it wrong then. "

Calm down.

If they're looking up to the ceiling they are doing it wrong, it's a common mistake.

Plenty of videos on YouTube from world class powerlifters will tell you looking straight ahead or slightly down.

Looking up puts compressive stress on your upper spine/discs, causes hips to come forward too soon plus a few other issues.

260kg max fir your info

"Without seeing your squat form I can only give suggestions and not definitive answers.

Possible issues could be knee/ pelvic/ ankle stability issues.

You may have a weak core and quads.

If you were my client I would be using a box to help you gain depth slowly but to also help work the kinetic chain in aiding your explosive upward movement "

Love Box Jumps

ashby de la zouch

Why is that important?

The fact is you are wrong."

Well actually

You are right that weight is irrelevant

You are right that you are comfortable looking where you look , as long as your spine does not flex! However good advice for most to avoid lumbar spine flexion is t

To look upwards which will NOT negativey affect anything

You are experienced enough to know your body and safe lifting limits, that is different than giving advice for good safe form x

Durham

Why is that important?

Lol wind your neck in, only asking what weight you lift. I never look forward or down whilst squat alway up. All the guys and girls in my gym must be doing it wrong then.

Calm down.

If they're looking up to the ceiling they are doing it wrong, it's a common mistake.

Plenty of videos on YouTube from world class powerlifters will tell you looking straight ahead or slightly down.

Looking up puts compressive stress on your upper spine/discs, causes hips to come forward too soon plus a few other issues.

260kg max fir your info"

Ok

Heard them steroids make you angry.

"Due to doing full heavey squats throughout my 20s and early 30s...my knee joints and back are fooked, I can't sqaut anymore not even light weight.

I keep my qauds big by warming them up on bike for 10 mins (at a high resistance( pumping blood into them and also warms my knees up.

Then I do single leg sets on the leg press machine where I am able to keep my hands on the knee to help the joint as I push out. And with the other leg being able to remain straight while not in use, it keeps my spine straight so there's no pressure on my lower back.

If I could go back to my twenty I'd swerve sqauts all together and just have done what I do now.

"

Just keep doing it

What are you having difficulty with?

Try box squats.?

Try and get you form correct. With a light weight

Look up and focus on one spot on the wall.

Why is that important?

Calm down.

260kg max fir your info

Ok

Heard them steroids make you angry."

Aah, another widely spread misconception.

Why is that important?

Calm down.

260kg max fir your info

Ok

Heard them steroids make you angry.

Aah, another widely spread misconception.

"

Do you even lift

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Hereford

As others have said, you need someone to look at your squat - squatting correctly is different for different people. People have different quad/calf lengths, hip widths etc which affect the mechanics of the movement.

There are commonly used cues that help most people (spread the floor with your feet as you drive, push through the heel, look ahead etc) but they don't work for everyone.

ashby de la zouch

"As others have said, you need someone to look at your squat - squatting correctly is different for different people. People have different quad/calf lengths, hip widths etc which affect the mechanics of the movement.

There are commonly used cues that help most people (spread the floor with your feet as you drive, push through the heel, look ahead etc) but they don't work for everyone."

Exactly , I'm a little concerned at the ops trainer not seeing the problem

To me it seems the op is trying to lift too much (even if that is body weight ) has weak glutes or very poor glute engagement with poor ankle flex

But without seeing I can't be sure , but any competent trainer should be able to assess the problem

I would suggest seeing an msk physio.

I had difficulty with my squats which were down to a few issues- tight piriformus, weak glute mede, tight calf restricting ankle. Answer was foam rolling, ball rolling, lots of mobility work and stretching, lateral hip work, box squats and initially raising heels.

You need to really have a proper answer about what is going on so you can make sure you are going to improve things and not risk injury.

"I seem to have trouble doing squats in the gym, the whole movement feels uncomfortable and when squatting to correct depth, I don’t feel that stable irrespective of weight on there (tried bare feet and wider stance but still no good).

I can deadlift, bench, press reasonable amounts but struggle with squats.

Leg press not a problem but don’t get the same workout as squats.

Anyone have this issue or know ways to improve? "

Is your spinal cord aligned properly ? You may have curvy backbone

By *olitarymaninblackMan  over a year ago

loughborough

I did look up Jeff Cavaliere of Athlean X. He gives great tips on a variety of exercises. I myself did have a problem hitting the depth required when using the barbell. Had to use lighter weights just to get the form right.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I'd suggest doing squats with zero weight or extremely low, so that you perfect the form. If your balance and flexibility is lower grade than you'd like, target those as well as core strength, via a separate plan. It's better to repeat great form, than form where there's an issue. Only move up from lower weight with higher reps when your form is great. Always warm up properly and also ensure your stretching is sufficient and high quality. Men often have limited their flexibility and range as well as rushed to heavy weights at the expense of not achieving the gains that they could have, from fuller range sets with great form.

You may also find that some physical body therapy could help support your goals. I'm free. Your PT ought to be able to observe and diagnose what's limiting you, so it's puzzling, as it's part of the job.

type into youtube starting strength mark reptoe. you will find the information from this guy good

» Add a new message to this topic