FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Are Tesco in trouble?

Are Tesco in trouble?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

First the news they are ditching dates esa on fruit and veg. .follow owed by they are ditching tesco direcrtion next month

..then I go in tonight and they have partitioned off over half of Thier no food area..

.not looking good to me

..what do you think?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I’m going to say ‘no’

By *htcMan  over a year ago

MK

Nope.

Largest supermarket chain in the UK. Third largest in the world by profit and 9th largest retailer in the world.

Dates on products is to cut waste, every kg they scrap they get fined. Tesco direct was a failure, and couldn't complete with competition.

But who owns the buildings?

By *htcMan  over a year ago

MK

Tesco, i highly doubt a huge company like tesco rent, unless it is a small highstreet store

"Tesco, i highly doubt a huge company like tesco rent, unless it is a small highstreet store"

Just remember you heard it here first

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Oh hello

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Uh oh. I have shares in Tesco they had a brief resurgence so I kept them.

By *ifty grades of shadyCouple  over a year ago

Carisbrooke, Isle of Wight

Hope not, their 0% balance transfer credit card is proving to be most useful at the moment

Would hate to see having any argos with that.

By *un4meanduMan  over a year ago

STOTFOLD

Probably because the baught booker cash and carry diversification don't think any danger of them going bust

By *ifty grades of shadyCouple  over a year ago

Carisbrooke, Isle of Wight

"Hope not, their 0% balance transfer credit card is proving to be most useful at the moment

Would hate to see having any argos with that. "

Agro with argos wtf autocorrect don't you just love it

"First the news they are ditching dates esa on fruit and veg. .follow owed by they are ditching tesco direcrtion next month

..then I go in tonight and they have partitioned off over half of Thier no food area..

.not looking good to me

..what do you think? "

Are they redecorating? They've closed the online Direct part.

By *innamon!Woman  over a year ago

no matter

Goodness me that was a quick change over! I’m too bloody old to message you though.

By *ynecplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

Tesco expanded beyond it core business and then suffered from the rise of the budget German Supermarkets taking market share. Tesco chose to go back to basics and ditch anything that does not revolve around grocery shopping or help it core business. They own most of their large stores but the smaller metro and express stores are usually rented. As the largest supermarket in the UK with over 27% (that is nearly the same market shares as their next two nearest rivals Sainsburys and Asda combined 30%) somehow do not think they are going to disappear from the market anytime soon.

By *astie10Man  over a year ago

Guildford

did you know sainsburys and adsa are owned by walmart now

By *ynecplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

"did you know sainsburys and adsa are owned by walmart now "

I thought they were still in talks about merging it has not happened yet. I think it is still the Qatar Sovereign wealth fund that is the majority share holder for Sainsburys. After merger Walmart will own 40% of the shares and become the majority owner.

By *ddibleMan  over a year ago

Exeter Bristol Salisbury

"But who owns the buildings?"

They sold most of their stores off to release over £500m in capital

Hedge funds now own most of them

Over priced cheap quality....

"Oh hello "

Well hello

"First the news they are ditching dates esa on fruit and veg. .follow owed by they are ditching tesco direcrtion next month

.not looking good to me

..what do you think?

Are they redecorating? They've closed the online Direct part."

Ah I was chatting to three lass on the checkout and she said it was restructuring. ..now I know she is not the MD but she said at the mo they were unsure whether there would be job losses as of yet.

Tesco hold the highest land bank in the world and therefore I doubt that they are in trouble. The ups largest supermarket chains as well

"Tesco hold the highest land bank in the world and therefore I doubt that they are in trouble. The ups largest supermarket chains as well "

Ah but dinosaurs were big....remind me...what happened to them

It might be true because their profits fell by the likes of Lidl and Aldi

"Tesco hold the highest land bank in the world and therefore I doubt that they are in trouble. The ups largest supermarket chains as well "

When profits start to fall which happened in the last few quarters it seems hard to feed an elephant

By *rontier PsychiatristMan  over a year ago

Coventry

Let's hope most of the share holders ain't on FAB. You'll start a financial panic with your wild speculations.

By *lkDomWhtSubBiCpleCouple  over a year ago

Somewhere / Everywhere /Kinksville

I like their delivery to home service. So I would be bloody cross if they were.

Joking aside I’ve been doing this since I was pregnant circa 18 years and the service is mostly really good. And we have a laugh with the drivers.

Low points - ordering 4 parsnips and receiving 4kg

- the thieving bastards next door (similar house name) accepting our delivery

High points - not having to trawl supermarkets

"I like their delivery to home service. So I would be bloody cross if they were.

Joking aside I’ve been doing this since I was pregnant circa 18 years and the service is mostly really good. And we have a laugh with the drivers.

Ahhhh don't forger the tesco points

High points - not having to trawl supermarkets "

"I like their delivery to home service. So I would be bloody cross if they were.

Ahhhh don't forger the tesco points

We also took delivery last year of a ridiculous amount of carrots. One does question what goes through these pickers minds! apart from, silly old bag, that’s what she ordered and thats what she’s getting

We shared to the community in the end

Did you get it back from next door?

By *orkie321bWoman  over a year ago

Nottingham

"did you know sainsburys and adsa are owned by walmart now "

No they are not.

Walmart bought asda in 1999. Merger talks are ongoing between sainsburys and asda/Walmart and will need to be approved by the competition commission before it can go ahead.

As an employee at one of these supermarkets we have been advised the earliest a merger will happen is September next year.

High points - not having to trawl supermarkets

Did you get it back from next door? "

We didn’t! They redelivered. And from memory it was a few hundred quids worth.

By *otSoNewWalesCoupleCouple  over a year ago

South Wales

"Tesco, i highly doubt a huge company like tesco rent, unless it is a small highstreet store"

Tesco is sitting on property assets worth £28bn and is Europe's biggest property company.

.not looking good to me

..what do you think? "

In a nutshell - No

Okay so speaking sensibly for a change. As a potential new supplier we have been told that the acquisition of Bookers has seen some staff changes and projects slowed down / out in hold. Combined with the news of Asda, no doubt caution is being taken.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

I know there are reports of them not making any profit on the direct side of things, so they are shutting down that side of of the Tesco brand.

By *ineMan  over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

They are now....

I just turned the freezers off

Thread trice of a loaf of Warburtons is a joke....

Tesco have been in trouble since Terry Leahy left. I worked there for ten years and survived the chop several times over, taking a very generous redundancy package in November 2016. The workforce is tiny compared to how it was when I started, they’ve pulled out of Asia, America (somewhere else was on the top of my tongue and I can’t remember it now), Tesco homeplus is no more, Tesco direct is gone, most of the non food items are gone, along with the staff and more redundancies planned for the future, shares are almost worthless compared to the price of them when I first started.

"Tesco have been in trouble since Terry Leahy left. I worked there for ten years and survived the chop several times over, taking a very generous redundancy package in November 2016. The workforce is tiny compared to how it was when I started, they’ve pulled out of Asia, America (somewhere else was on the top of my tongue and I can’t remember it now), Tesco homeplus is no more, Tesco direct is gone, most of the non food items are gone, along with the staff and more redundancies planned for the future, shares are almost worthless compared to the price of them when I first started. "

And not forgetting how head of departments have been reduced drastically in recently moth on the with people having to take a payout of up to £10000 to stay in work...some could look at this as good business....I myself think if you can't pay your staff you don't have a business...

"Tesco have been in trouble since Terry Leahy left. I worked there for ten years and survived the chop several times over, taking a very generous redundancy package in November 2016. The workforce is tiny compared to how it was when I started, they’ve pulled out of Asia, America (somewhere else was on the top of my tongue and I can’t remember it now), Tesco homeplus is no more, Tesco direct is gone, most of the non food items are gone, along with the staff and more redundancies planned for the future, shares are almost worthless compared to the price of them when I first started.

And not forgetting how head of departments have been reduced drastically in recently moth on the with people having to take a payout of up to £10000 to stay in work...some could look at this as good business....I myself think if you can't pay your staff you don't have a business..."

They call it “restructuring” I remember it coming out in our team 5, our store manager swore up and down it wasn’t a money saving move. It’s not necessarily the lower down line managers, but senior team was cut drastically. Giving already overworked management even more work to do for the same amount of money. Same thing is happening to the general assistants as well since so many have had the chop. All the team leaders are gone as well with the exception of dot com and checkouts

By *orkie321bWoman  over a year ago

Nottingham

"Tesco have been in trouble since Terry Leahy left. I worked there for ten years and survived the chop several times over, taking a very generous redundancy package in November 2016. The workforce is tiny compared to how it was when I started, they’ve pulled out of Asia, America (somewhere else was on the top of my tongue and I can’t remember it now), Tesco homeplus is no more, Tesco direct is gone, most of the non food items are gone, along with the staff and more redundancies planned for the future, shares are almost worthless compared to the price of them when I first started.

And not forgetting how head of departments have been reduced drastically in recently moth on the with people having to take a payout of up to £10000 to stay in work...some could look at this as good business....I myself think if you can't pay your staff you don't have a business...

They call it “restructuring” I remember it coming out in our team 5, our store manager swore up and down it wasn’t a money saving move. It’s not necessarily the lower down line managers, but senior team was cut drastically. Giving already overworked management even more work to do for the same amount of money. Same thing is happening to the general assistants as well since so many have had the chop. All the team leaders are gone as well with the exception of dot com and checkouts "

The same thing has just happened at sainsburys. All team leaders have either been made redundant or been forced to step down to colleague level and take a pay cut but they are still doing the same jobs. The management team has been cut too. Instead of several layers of management at each store and every department having it's own manager we now have just a store manager and section managers over several departments. There is now no day to day management of each department and things have started to descend into chaos already - the changed only came into force at the weekend!

They call it “restructuring” I remember it coming out in our team 5, our store manager swore up and down it wasn’t a money saving move. It’s not necessarily the lower down line managers, but senior team was cut drastically. Giving already overworked management even more work to do for the same amount of money. Same thing is happening to the general assistants as well since so many have had the chop. All the team leaders are gone as well with the exception of dot com and checkouts

The same thing has just happened at sainsburys. All team leaders have either been made redundant or been forced to step down to colleague level and take a pay cut but they are still doing the same jobs. The management team has been cut too. Instead of several layers of management at each store and every department having it's own manager we now have just a store manager and section managers over several departments. There is now no day to day management of each department and things have started to descend into chaos already - the changed only came into force at the weekend!"

Remember it well, good luck, it’s not going to get any better! They needed those people that’s why they took them on in the first place

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

The same thing has just happened at sainsburys. All team leaders have either been made redundant or been forced to step down to colleague level and take a pay cut but they are still doing the same jobs. The management team has been cut too. Instead of several layers of management at each store and every department having it's own manager we now have just a store manager and section managers over several departments. There is now no day to day management of each department and things have started to descend into chaos already - the changed only came into force at the weekend!"

Boots also. A friend was there for nine years and resigned after a new management team came in and made it uncomfortable for the longer serving and higher paid staff.

Way of the world I guess?

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

"Goodness me that was a quick change over! I’m too bloody old to message you though. "
you can always message me lol x

"Goodness me that was a quick change over! I’m too bloody old to message you though. you can always message me lol x "

It would help if you quoted who your aiming your question at..

By *ky19Man  over a year ago

Plymouth

So I take it working at Tesco hasn't got better since I had enough in 2006(!) then?

Was on the night team on checkouts/trolleys. There were 9 of us, then one by one they left till there were just 3 of us, and no team leader or anyone with a management code, so anytime there was a problem we had to phone the duty manager.

Then they did a massive refurbishment changing all the checkouts making them worse than before, each with huge bright lights above them that reflect onto your face. Someone said my face looked like the moon. That was the last straw and I was done.

They didn't replace me either apparently, so the car park was just left as a huge mess of trolleys

Tesco near my house was closed last night.

"So I take it working at Tesco hasn't got better since I had enough in 2006(!) then?

Was on the night team on checkouts/trolleys. There were 9 of us, then one by one they left till there were just 3 of us, and no team leader or anyone with a management code, so anytime there was a problem we had to phone the duty manager.

Then they did a massive refurbishment changing all the checkouts making them worse than before, each with huge bright lights above them that reflect onto your face. Someone said my face looked like the moon. That was the last straw and I was done.

They didn't replace me either apparently, so the car park was just left as a huge mess of trolleys "

Feck ya barmy fecker..you had me on the edge of my seat like iistenening to Frazerer from dad's army

I work in the maintenance dept for them.

They are still strugling and failing.

» Add a new message to this topic