FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Australia or New Zealand for work gap year

Australia or New Zealand for work gap year

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Nothing to do with sex, was thinking of going traveling to either Oz or NZ? Which should I choose? I plan to work and travel, do any work, farm construction picking etc, and do ye think I should do It? Has anyone ever done it before? I'm 29 so I've just a year left to apply, I only have a standard manufacturing job so no biggie leaving that and I have the money. What do ye peep think?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I'd much rather do Asia for a year.

Oz 10000%

By *gnitemybodyWoman  over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

I've only been to Australia so can't really say. Can you not do six months in each?

By *ere2help82Man  over a year ago

Bromsgrove

A couple of years ago I made the same decision to go and spent the year in NZ and have also travelled Oz and I would say NZ is the one!

"I've only been to Australia so can't really say. Can you not do six months in each?"

I'll have to buy 2 visa then! That's pretty expensive.

"A couple of years ago I made the same decision to go and spent the year in NZ and have also travelled Oz and I would say NZ is the one!"

Why is it the one? I know it looks beautiful but is there work there? Construction farming?

"Oz 10000%"

Cheers, explain though

"I'd much rather do Asia for a year."

Ya I went to Thailand for a month it changed my life. It was amazing

By *eedsandyMan  over a year ago

Leeds

You will be lucky to get a work visa for either.

By *iamondCougarWoman  over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

Definately New Zealand !! It’s smaller, less populated, absolutely stunning you would love it.

I’d go back on a one way ticket tomorrow

"You will be lucky to get a work visa for either."

Why?

"Definately New Zealand !! It’s smaller, less populated, absolutely stunning you would love it.

I’d go back on a one way ticket tomorrow "

But is there work?

Leeds

"You will be lucky to get a work visa for either.

Why? "

You have to be 18-30 to get a working holiday visa for Australia. It's now winter there, so I doubt that you want to go until much later in the year, when it is Spring or Summer there. When are you 31?

Why?

You have to be 18-30 to get a working holiday visa for Australia. It's now winter there, so I doubt that you want to go until much later in the year, when it is Spring or Summer there. When are you 31?"

I'm 28 lol

Leeds

Why?

You have to be 18-30 to get a working holiday visa for Australia. It's now winter there, so I doubt that you want to go until much later in the year, when it is Spring or Summer there. When are you 31?

I'm 28 lol "

Your profile says 30

Why?

I'm 28 lol

Your profile says 30"

I know.. a lot of ladies set their age preference to 30 - Lol

Leeds

Why?

I'm 28 lol

Your profile says 30

I know.. a lot of ladies set their age preference to 30 - Lol "

Lol

Why?

I'm 28 lol

Your profile says 30

I know.. a lot of ladies set their age preference to 30 - Lol

Lol"

Sure what's 2 years lol.

Cheers man.

By *iamondCougarWoman  over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

"Definately New Zealand !! It’s smaller, less populated, absolutely stunning you would love it.

I’d go back on a one way ticket tomorrow

But is there work?"

Farming, vine yards, tourism all year round.... I’d say so. Go ask in the tripadvisor forums about a working gap year

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

Why?

I'm 28 lol "

Your opening post says 29

Interesting to read these comments as I plan to move to NZ in about 2-years after a first move to a new place between here and there at end of July.

"Interesting to read these comments as I plan to move to NZ in about 2-years after a first move to a new place between here and there at end of July. "

Can i just ask.. Why nz ?

Id have to say NZ. The montains and wild spaces just look spectacular. You'd be hard pushed to get me too leave.

Alberta, Canada!

"Alberta, Canada!"

Lovely place that is

"Alberta, Canada!

Lovely place that is"

It's literally my idea of heaven.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

There's a gap between the North & South island of New Zealand.

You decide, the choice is yours...

*said in a Jawdee accent

"Interesting to read these comments as I plan to move to NZ in about 2-years after a first move to a new place between here and there at end of July.

Can i just ask.. Why nz ? "

The gorgeous scenery, the excellent hiking, the sense of community, and universal health care.

"Alberta, Canada!

Lovely place that is

It's literally my idea of heaven."

Calgary and Edmonton are great fun, been a lot with work. Probably the cleanest places I've ever been.

"Id have to say NZ. The montains and wild spaces just look spectacular. You'd be hard pushed to get me too leave."

We're u in oz? So you prefer nz ?

"Alberta, Canada!

Lovely place that is

Calgary and Edmonton are great fun, been a lot with work. Probably the cleanest places I've ever been."

I was referring to Jasper and Banff but I do plan to move to Edmonton or nearby in the near future.

"Alberta, Canada!

Lovely place that is

Calgary and Edmonton are great fun, been a lot with work. Probably the cleanest places I've ever been.

I was referring to Jasper and Banff but I do plan to move to Edmonton or nearby in the near future."

Yeah, I've seen the pics of Banff and it looks stunning.

Oz for work and NZ for leisure!

"Alberta, Canada!

Lovely place that is

I was referring to Jasper and Banff but I do plan to move to Edmonton or nearby in the near future.

Yeah, I've seen the pics of Banff and it looks stunning."

Actually Calgary is closer to Banff so maybe there instead.

Haha i took some of those pictures, and truthfully speaking you can't take a bad picture!

"Oz for work and NZ for leisure! "

One hell of a commute

New Zealand! Currently here on a 12 month working holiday visa it's beautiful! Don't think you'll find getting work a problem

Do either, I'm rather jealous. Wish I had the opportunity, just flip a coin and go for it.

By *tudmcmuffinMan  over a year ago

Swindon

It depends what you want to get from it I suppose, both have their pros and cons. Work is pretty good in both so that’s not really a problem. Aus is vast and will cost a bit to travel around but you can have some widely differing experiences, NZ is beautiful and more like home, easier to get around with some very unique experiences to be had.

Whichever you decide, it will be an awesome experience that will live with you forever, so go enjoy and let us know how you’re going

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Oz for work and NZ for leisure!

One hell of a commute"

No worries Sheila, he's got a go faster surf board

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I've spent months in both - they are great. I prefer New Zealand and would head there. They have a current shortage of workers for crop harvesting - but it's seasonal

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

As people have said there are working holiday visas last a year or working visas where you apply with your skills then each country decides if they need them which will take longer. Holiday visas allow you to work for 3 months, then you must stop for a month I think. If you are skilled and go to Oz, you'll be able to find work pretty quickly labouring, seasonally or through your trade but agencies are very accessible and cover all sectors over here. You do need an amount of money in your account before you arrive. Just be prepared to plan where to go and budget in case you cannot find work too quickly.

By *innie The MinxWoman  over a year ago

Under the Duvet

I did Central and South America , started off building houses in Guatemala, ended up helping build a school in Chile. So rewarding.

Amazing scenery , amazing people.

I'd recommend it and given the chance I'd go back in a second.

"New Zealand! Currently here on a 12 month working holiday visa it's beautiful! Don't think you'll find getting work a problem "

Cheers! How do you get around? I take it you've done research? What kind work is there? Sorry I've so many questions. It's ok if I private msg u?

"Do either, I'm rather jealous. Wish I had the opportunity, just flip a coin and go for it."

Thanks ruby. I've never met an older who doesn't think I should do it. I was thinking oz for work, nz for few weeks, then Japan for a week, its my dream to go to Japan. It's so different that's what attracts me.

"I've spent months in both - they are great. I prefer New Zealand and would head there. They have a current shortage of workers for crop harvesting - but it's seasonal "

Cheers x

So it's NZ for you too. Hmm.

"As people have said there are working holiday visas last a year or working visas where you apply with your skills then each country decides if they need them which will take longer. Holiday visas allow you to work for 3 months, then you must stop for a month I think. If you are skilled and go to Oz, you'll be able to find work pretty quickly labouring, seasonally or through your trade but agencies are very accessible and cover all sectors over here. You do need an amount of money in your account before you arrive. Just be prepared to plan where to go and budget in case you cannot find work too quickly. "

Cheers dude

"I did Central and South America , started off building houses in Guatemala, ended up helping build a school in Chile. So rewarding.

Amazing scenery , amazing people.

I'd recommend it and given the chance I'd go back in a second."

I haven't regretted any of my travels either

"It depends what you want to get from it I suppose, both have their pros and cons. Work is pretty good in both so that’s not really a problem. Aus is vast and will cost a bit to travel around but you can have some widely differing experiences, NZ is beautiful and more like home, easier to get around with some very unique experiences to be had.

Whichever you decide, it will be an awesome experience that will live with you forever, so go enjoy and let us know how you’re going "

Cheers man

If you had to choose?

Oz is more intimidating hot more work.

Nz is cool less intimidating less work. I dunno I need to research.

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Do both, there is no reason why you can’t. I went backpacking when I was 19 and absolutely loved it- it’s an education.

Work was easier to come by in Aus so I’d always suggest doing that country first then, doing a more brief trip around NZ when you have a bit more money.

Do it though. Might seem daunting but you’ll love it!

"Do both, there is no reason why you can’t. I went backpacking when I was 19 and absolutely loved it- it’s an education.

Work was easier to come by in Aus so I’d always suggest doing that country first then, doing a more brief trip around NZ when you have a bit more money.

Do it though. Might seem daunting but you’ll love it! "

Thanks biscuit!

By *tudmcmuffinMan  over a year ago

Swindon

"It depends what you want to get from it I suppose, both have their pros and cons. Work is pretty good in both so that’s not really a problem. Aus is vast and will cost a bit to travel around but you can have some widely differing experiences, NZ is beautiful and more like home, easier to get around with some very unique experiences to be had.

Whichever you decide, it will be an awesome experience that will live with you forever, so go enjoy and let us know how you’re going

Cheers man

If you had to choose?

Nz is cool less intimidating less work. I dunno I need to research. "

Oz for me but I chose to live here so I’m biased

Don’t get hung up on the perception of oz being roasting, it really isn’t as bad as you think. Most of the year it’s really nice, summer will try to kill you though, but you can always go to Tasmania then

NZ has a booming construction industry atm, but it is crazy expensive to live there I’m told, but it is a beautiful country.

Cheers man

If you had to choose?

Nz is cool less intimidating less work. I dunno I need to research.

Oz for me but I chose to live here so I’m biased

Don’t get hung up on the perception of oz being roasting, it really isn’t as bad as you think. Most of the year it’s really nice, summer will try to kill you though, but you can always go to Tasmania then

NZ has a booming construction industry atm, but it is crazy expensive to live there I’m told, but it is a beautiful country."

Do you have any contacts in nz ?

And where is it booming in nz ?

Aussie for 6 month get your regional done for a second year then go spend 12 month in New Zealand then apply to come back to Aussie for another 12 months from the regional work u did

I've got cousins in Australia at the moment, one is doing farming work and moving round the other is in recruitment, the latter pays well so she takes a holiday every 12 weeks to places like Bali, Fiji Thailand etc.

Another cousin has been over there years, works in the oil industry I think and made a fortune over there, he'd never move back to England now.

Ginger

"I've got cousins in Australia at the moment, one is doing farming work and moving round the other is in recruitment, the latter pays well so she takes a holiday every 12 weeks to places like Bali, Fiji Thailand etc.

Another cousin has been over there years, works in the oil industry I think and made a fortune over there, he'd never move back to England now.

Ginger "

Thanks ginger, so you think I should defo go?

"I've got cousins in Australia at the moment, one is doing farming work and moving round the other is in recruitment, the latter pays well so she takes a holiday every 12 weeks to places like Bali, Fiji Thailand etc.

Ginger

Thanks ginger, so you think I should defo go?"

Absolutely, I'm a firm believer that travel is the best education.

By *riefcase_WankerMan  over a year ago

Milton Keynes

I don't know what the work situation is like, but New Zealand is by far the nicer country

"I don't know what the work situation is like, but New Zealand is by far the nicer country"

Thanks..

"I don't know what the work situation is like, but New Zealand is by far the nicer country

Thanks.. "

We're you there by the way? How long? Expensive?

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

Plenty of work in both

"Plenty of work in both"

That's a relief! So were u there?

Milton Keynes

"I don't know what the work situation is like, but New Zealand is by far the nicer country

Thanks..

We're you there by the way? How long? Expensive?"

Both Australia and New Zealand are expensive.

I've been to Oz a few times as my Mum lives there. Of all the cities I've been to (Brisbane, Cairns, Melbourne, Sydney) Melbourne is the nicest; the most European in character (by which I mean cultured and interesting.)

Only been to New Zealand the once, spent a month travelling around the North and South islands, and it is a fabulously beautiful country. It actually feels very familiar to anyone from the UK - if you took Britain, got rid of the shit bits and turned the good bits up to 11, then that's basically New Zealand (well, the countryside at least.)

The towns themselves are not that impressive - Auckland is by far the most populous and has the most going on in the North, and obviously Wellington as the capital has got stuff on the go, Rotorua is interesting, but really it's the stuff in between that's really magical. Bay of Islands is good, as is the Coromandel. In the South, Queenstown is good, the glaciers (Fox and Franz Josef) are worth checking out and Milford Sound is not to be missed. Christchurch is interesting but still amazingly fucked after the quakes.

Don't expect it to be really happening and cutting edge - the whole country has less than half the population of London - but just savour the incredible beauty of the country

Thanks..

I've been to Oz a few times as my Mum lives there. Of all the cities I've been to (Brisbane, Cairns, Melbourne, Sydney) Melbourne is the nicest; the most European in character (by which I mean cultured and interesting.)

Only been to New Zealand the once, spent a month travelling around the North and South islands, and it is a fabulously beautiful country. It actually feels very familiar to anyone from the UK - if you took Britain, got rid of the shit bits and turned the good bits up to 11, then that's basically New Zealand (well, the countryside at least.)

The towns themselves are not that impressive - Auckland is by far the most populous and has the most going on in the North, and obviously Wellington as the capital has got stuff on the go, Rotorua is interesting, but really it's the stuff in between that's really magical. Bay of Islands is good, as is the Coromandel. In the South, Queenstown is good, the glaciers (Fox and Franz Josef) are worth checking out and Milford Sound is not to be missed. Christchurch is interesting but still amazingly fucked after the quakes.

Don't expect it to be really happening and cutting edge - the whole country has less than half the population of London - but just savour the incredible beauty of the country"

Very helpful and interesting!

Thanks..

Don't expect it to be really happening and cutting edge - the whole country has less than half the population of London - but just savour the incredible beauty of the country"

Ah cheers man!

So for a young like me that wants to work and travel, its nz? Better experience than oz ?

Australia...esp tge Gold Coast x

Milton Keynes

Thanks..

Don't expect it to be really happening and cutting edge - the whole country has less than half the population of London - but just savour the incredible beauty of the country

Ah cheers man!

So for a young like me that wants to work and travel, its nz? Better experience than oz ?"

I dunno tbh. I would say if you wanna get fucked and party, perhaps Oz? There really isn't a huge amount going on in NZ from what I could see...but then I'm a bit of an old fart who was pootling round in a campervan

Solihull

"Plenty of work in both

That's a relief! So were u there? "

I was indeed and have a couple of mates who went on to get citizenship.

Not married and no kids so they work for 6-12 months to save enough to travel and then come back and so far either return to old job or walk into a different one.

They tend to work to live we tend to live to work.

Go to Adelaide what a place.

Done the Ashes tour.

Adelaide so chilled.

But I got 6$ to the £ Don't think you get that now.

The barmy Army was sing "We so richorny it's unbelievable"

We got murdered in the cricket though.

Vaughan was captain

"Go to Adelaide what a place.

Done the Ashes tour.

Adelaide so chilled.

Vaughan was captain "

Richorny?

To much pre txt on here

Rich.

By *oxy_minxWoman  over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

My younger brother did this two years ago and loved it and is going back in July this year, he regretted missing NZ due to working too much so that is his main priority this time round

"Go to Adelaide what a place.

Done the Ashes tour.

Adelaide so chilled.

Vaughan was captain "

Cheers,

So your for oz not nz?

"My younger brother did this two years ago and loved it and is going back in July this year, he regretted missing NZ due to working too much so that is his main priority this time round "

Cheers foxy x

"Australia...esp tge Gold Coast x "

Have you been to both?

"My younger brother did this two years ago and loved it and is going back in July this year, he regretted missing NZ due to working too much so that is his main priority this time round "

So you reckon there's plenty work There?

Solihull

Not sure of the rules now but if you go to NZ check you've got the right visa that allows you to work, an ird number, get a bank account and a good cv

Lots of work and the hostels have a notice board with jobs and you've got recruitment agency's

"Not sure of the rules now but if you go to NZ check you've got the right visa that allows you to work, an ird number, get a bank account and a good cv

Lots of work and the hostels have a notice board with jobs and you've got recruitment agency's "

Cheers man..

Hey...been looking thru this forum again. Was nz expensive?

By *r MoriartyMan  over a year ago

The Land that time forgot (Norfolk)

I would choose New Zealand because I want to go fly fishing there but that's just me.

Oz... plenty of agricultural work and bushwhacking

I spent a year in Oz and a year in NZ - it was a long time ago in 2001 but if I could do it again I'd have cut down my time in Oz and spent more time in NZ.

I loved it there.

Enjoy whatever you choose OP

I'm jealous!

"Hey...been looking thru this forum again. Was nz expensive? "

Hi! I am currently on NZ, have been since January. I won't lie... It is bloomin expensive here but beautiful! It's a stunning country

Solihull

"Hey...been looking thru this forum again. Was nz expensive? "

When I went it was expensive but the wages were good in proper jobs, not sure about backpacking type jobs.

Like most places in the world you can usually find ways to save on money if you have to or spend a fortune.

Either country's great but different, I'd split the visit

» Add a new message to this topic