FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > M5 crash..

M5 crash..

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Reminds me of how fickle the finger of fate is...

We live in Taunton, and travelled to a freestyle in Exeter...and went thru that junction about 5 mins before..

The driving conditions weren`t good...patchy thick fog..

Further towards Exeter matrix signs were advising 50 mph.."SLOW DOWN workmen on the road"..now I`m a very confident driver, but had to slow down way before the signs..but couldn`t believe people were driving so fast in the conditions..

So today with friends we`re feeling shocked..the mood in Taunton is somber..the famous carnival cancelled...and kinda looking at each other...could of been us..

Thoughts with the families..

So...whats yer "wake up call"..something like a near miss or in modern parlance..near death experience that makes you stop and reavaluate life..

PS...I`ve had closer brushes with death, wouldn`t really say last night was a close one...more I`m thinking of Fate...my other experiences have been more in my hands...

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I was in an explosion in Balham in 1987. 3 people died. did it make me re evaluate my life. probably not,I was 23. If it happened now, definitely

By *oantrimcpl2010Couple  over a year ago

Lisburn

Had a very good friend die 2 weeks ago, he was 44yrs, had to warning, it was instant. Made me and Mr A think about a few things.

It was an nasty accident, but on the news just now investigators are looking into a local fireworks display that may have come across the carrageway.

Bad times. Thoughts go out to all those involved

"I was in an explosion in Balham in 1987. 3 people died. did it make me re evaluate my life. probably not,I was 23. If it happened now, definitely "

Yeah...I get that..at 23 I was still cloaked in a sense of being special and different, and an illusion of being invincible...

I nearly died many moons ago, thru the rock n roll lifestyle....coming out of the other side of that...I can remember feeling how precious this brief visit is, and how much I loved my family, something my actions up till then, would of turned those words into something of a mockery..I made a decision to change..the wake up call ?

A photo of myself as a gorgeous blued eyed 6/7 year old boy...full of promise..

There but for the grace of god.... what a tragedy probably caused by not slowing down in those conditions -my thoughts are with all the families ivolved.

"It was an nasty accident, but on the news just now investigators are looking into a local fireworks display that may have come across the carrageway."

Yeah...its to early to say the cause....I`m not focused on finding a bogeyman or something or one to blame...

Tho..I suspect a few kinda questioned their driving last night....it was very foggy...

Forum Mod

"

A photo of myself as a gorgeous blued eyed 6/7 year old boy...full of promise.."

Wow thats moved me it really has

"

A photo of myself as a gorgeous blued eyed 6/7 year old boy...full of promise..

Wow thats moved me it really has "

The more emotional moment came when I told my mother I was seeing help....the tears of relief were hard to deal with...I still brim over at the memory...she had a chance of her boy back..

I couldn`t ever repay the love she showed me...sometimes misguided, but always unconditional and well mean`t..

"So...whats yer "wake up call"..something like a near miss or in modern parlance..near death experience that makes you stop and reavaluate life..

"

I've bounced off cars twice on my bike, the first in my 20's I pretty much carried on regardless, the second earlier this year was a catalyst to me leaving London, though tying to out think fate is a dangerous game, as when I was out running a few weeks ago, I had a car drive deliberately at me so you never know what will happen?

I think the biggest wake up call was with my ex (who is still a very dear friend), she found herself in hospital with liver failure and it very much looked like she was going to die - the fact that she didn't we later discovered was something that her doctors could not explain. She was in her mid 20's at the time, and the despair and anguish of those few days undeniably changed me forever.

"So...whats yer "wake up call"..something like a near miss or in modern parlance..near death experience that makes you stop and reavaluate life..

I've bounced off cars twice on my bike, the first in my 20's I pretty much carried on regardless, the second earlier this year was a catalyst to me leaving London, though tying to out think fate is a dangerous game, as when I was out running a few weeks ago, I had a car drive deliberately at me so you never know what will happen?

I think the biggest wake up call was with my ex (who is still a very dear friend), she found herself in hospital with liver failure and it very much looked like she was going to die - the fact that she didn't we later discovered was something that her doctors could not explain. She was in her mid 20's at the time, and the despair and anguish of those few days undeniably changed me forever."

Yes...sometimes our pain breaks the shell of understanding..much like the nut that needs a hard winter to bring forth new life..

Its good to hear yer love for an ex...that adds to a new relationship with ourselves and life..

Thanks..

By *ornyHorwichCpl aka HHCCouple  over a year ago

horwich

I was in Machester when the bomb went off. Got separated from my mum and my mate. had to slap a girl who was hystericl. Wierd. very wierd

By *ust JoanWoman  over a year ago

caerphilly

"It was an nasty accident, but on the news just now investigators are looking into a local fireworks display that may have come across the carrageway."
It was far too early for any organised displays CJ mate!!

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

According to all the news reports there was an organised display going on Rich x

There for the grace of god and all that, I am up and down motorways a lot, it makes you think how quick things can go wrong.

Thinking of all the people involved

"

A photo of myself as a gorgeous blued eyed 6/7 year old boy...full of promise.."

I have something similar..while not quite living the rock n roll lifestyle i was on the way.

I have a photo of me when i was 5 years old with my two elder brothers. It hangs by the front door and i see it every morning as i go out. Reminds me to be the person my mum wanted me to be

My cousin and I were in London when the Harrods bomb went off. We were just kids and used to take a Red Bus Rover for a day out. We were only a few hundred yards from the explosion. Scared the crap out of us. A lady who worked in a shop pulled us off the street and into the safety of the store. A very scary moment

"I was in Machester when the bomb went off. Got separated from my mum and my mate. had to slap a girl who was hystericl. Wierd. very wierd"

It can get very strange can`t it...time slows down and with a heightened awareness, shock and fear..its hard to make sense of things..

You and TraMar, must have very powerful things to deal with..I can`t imagine it..

By *toneblueMan  over a year ago

Southampton

I drove through the same spot 5 hours earlier and there was almost a pile up just behind me due to some silly sod undertaking the car behind me and then squeezing into the gap just as we all had to brake. In appalling weather too.

I really hate driving home on a Friday. Maybe this event will make people think a little more about the consequences of their actions. But I doubt it.

Nope it won't. Had a similar thing happen to me on the A1 yesterday. I think people don't realise how heavy these things are, and travelling at those sorts of speeds.

"My cousin and I were in London when the Harrods bomb went off. We were just kids and used to take a Red Bus Rover for a day out. We were only a few hundred yards from the explosion. Scared the crap out of us. A lady who worked in a shop pulled us off the street and into the safety of the store. A very scary moment"

Jeez !!...Another near victim of a bomb....

Very thought provoking...

"I drove through the same spot 5 hours earlier and there was almost a pile up just behind me due to some silly sod undertaking the car behind me and then squeezing into the gap just as we all had to brake. In appalling weather too.

I really hate driving home on a Friday. Maybe this event will make people think a little more about the consequences of their actions. But I doubt it."

Its crazy town on a Friday isn`t it....its a great stretch of motorway really...yet the driving is summat else...thats true all over tho..

In 1997 I was travelling to Solihull for a meeting but I'd left home half an hour later than I intended. I eventually got onto the M42 in thick fog but had gone no more than a couple of miles when it came to a stand still. Traffic reports confirmed a multiple car pileup a few miles ahead of me.

I never moved an inch for two hours as reports continued coming in and the amount of vehicles involed went up and up and up. Finally, the police closed the junction behind us and got each vehicle to do a thre-point turn on the carriageway and drive back up the wrong way and exit the motorway. 160 vehicles were involved in the crash, with 3 deaths and 60 injuries and had I left home on time I'd have been at that point on the M42 when it happened.

Karma? Who knows, but I'm still here and 3 people aren't - all due to an alarm that never went off.

Every year on remembrance Sunday I sit and think about all the brave men and women who have served our country, whether they died in the field or not, and think of what life would been like if they had't served......

"I drove through the same spot 5 hours earlier and there was almost a pile up just behind me due to some silly sod undertaking the car behind me and then squeezing into the gap just as we all had to brake. In appalling weather too.

I really hate driving home on a Friday. Maybe this event will make people think a little more about the consequences of their actions. But I doubt it.

Its crazy town on a Friday isn`t it....its a great stretch of motorway really...yet the driving is summat else...thats true all over tho.."

I drive on the M5 every day to get to work and it is mad how some people drive. One of the scary thing things is how quickly the weather can change down here. I was driving across Dartmoor last night and had people tailgating me, I think it was because the weather was so foggy, they felt more comfortable thinking I knew the road.

It is worse down here in the summer with the caravans and cars loaded to the gunnels with baggage and kids. I find it distressing the amount of times I have seen a crash site with a car that is unrecognisable and the luggage strewn across the road. Cars have so much safety equipment nowadays, I think drivers think they can drive faster and take more chances as their vehicles will get them out of trouble... It wont.

By *amslam1000Man  over a year ago

willenhall

during the first gulf war i watched a scud missile deatroy a industrial unit 200 yards away it killed 18 american soldiers and i was in a shop getting pizza

"In 1997 I was travelling to Solihull for a meeting but I'd left home half an hour later than I intended. I eventually got onto the M42 in thick fog but had gone no more than a couple of miles when it came to a stand still. Traffic reports confirmed a multiple car pileup a few miles ahead of me.

I never moved an inch for two hours as reports continued coming in and the amount of vehicles involed went up and up and up. Finally, the police closed the junction behind us and got each vehicle to do a thre-point turn on the carriageway and drive back up the wrong way and exit the motorway. 160 vehicles were involved in the crash, with 3 deaths and 60 injuries and had I left home on time I'd have been at that point on the M42 when it happened.

Karma? Who knows, but I'm still here and 3 people aren't - all due to an alarm that never went off."

Sometimes..in honesty...I`ve been stuck on a motorway due to a crash..and got impatient...late fer work or an appointment and cursed the fuckers...

Really self centred behaviour and thinking...

I try and think of the victims family more these days...getting that phone call that brings the cold dead into yer heart..

Yeah...I don`t know if its Fate either...I like reflecting on contingency tho..

"Every year on remembrance Sunday I sit and think about all the brave men and women who have served our country, whether they died in the field or not, and think of what life would been like if they had't served......"

Good to be grateful....makes life different..

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

in 1989 i was burnt badly in a fire. looked like a mummy for 8 weeks. miraculously most of my scars went within 2 years. the ones on the front of my legs show up in the cold. i believe it was as bad for those that saw me on fire

Its crazy town on a Friday isn`t it....its a great stretch of motorway really...yet the driving is summat else...thats true all over tho..

I drive on the M5 every day to get to work and it is mad how some people drive. One of the scary thing things is how quickly the weather can change down here. I was driving across Dartmoor last night and had people tailgating me, I think it was because the weather was so foggy, they felt more comfortable thinking I knew the road.

It is worse down here in the summer with the caravans and cars loaded to the gunnels with baggage and kids. I find it distressing the amount of times I have seen a crash site with a car that is unrecognisable and the luggage strewn across the road. Cars have so much safety equipment nowadays, I think drivers think they can drive faster and take more chances as their vehicles will get them out of trouble... It wont."

Yeah ...Dartmoors notorious ain`t it...

I think modern cars cocoon us in complacency..smooth, silent, and air bags..

Yep...cocoons is what I feel..

And whats with rubber neckers..?

"in 1989 i was burnt badly in a fire. looked like a mummy for 8 weeks. miraculously most of my scars went within 2 years. the ones on the front of my legs show up in the cold. i believe it was as bad for those that saw me on fire "

Something to consider isn`t it...the sights others have to deal with..

Mabye unrelated to yer story ...but thank God fer the bravery of the emergency services...I can`t contemplate some of it..

my auntie was in the crash but shes ok thankfully, my thoughts are with all the people involved

an eye witness on the news said it wasnt foggy and when they showed the mobile phone video it didnt look that bad, but just shows that we have to be thankful for what we all got.

At the end of the day whatever happend happend, we should all think of their friends and family at this moment in time, not nice thing to happen at this time of the year

"my auntie was in the crash but shes ok thankfully, my thoughts are with all the people involved"

She was a lucky lady...I can`t believe so few lost their lives, given the scale of the carnage..

[Removed by poster at 05/11/11 19:31:35]

My thoughts are first and for most with the famalies who have lost one there.

Two friends of mine missed being involved in it by 10 minuets because they had to wait for paperwork after they finished work. They were 100 meters from the junction when the accident happened.

He said it was clear one second then a wall of fog the next and visibility down to 30 meters.

"an eye witness on the news said it wasnt foggy and when they showed the mobile phone video it didnt look that bad, but just shows that we have to be thankful for what we all got.

At the end of the day whatever happend happend, we should all think of their friends and family at this moment in time, not nice thing to happen at this time of the year"

It was patchy fog...the worst kind..

Yep...a few crimbos full of tears no doubt..sad stuff..

By *ornyHorwichCpl aka HHCCouple  over a year ago

horwich

I always think of my brother when I hear of pile ups involving trucks as he is a truck driver. Heart leapt when I read until I read the location and had spoken to him

My mum & dad were on the British Airtours plane that set on fire during take off at Manchester in 85

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I once knew a man who knew a woman who had eaten a chicken leg from a chicken that was killed by a cat that had been lost by a gypsy being evicted from a squat on the land of a man who once drove on the M5. He's so lucky.

Forum Mod

"My mum & dad were on the British Airtours plane that set on fire during take off at Manchester in 85 "

Im too scared to ask the obvious question as I know that was a horrific incident and so many people died

"I once knew a man who knew a woman who had eaten a chicken leg from a chicken that was killed by a cat that had been lost by a gypsy being evicted from a squat on the land of a man who once drove on the M5. He's so lucky. "

Bad Granny.....haha....

Give me *raspberry*..%*

King's Crustacean

I'm not bad. I'm sommat but not bad.

I don't want to blow a raspberry i'm nibblin' nuts. x

"I'm not bad. I'm sommat but not bad.

I don't want to blow a raspberry i'm nibblin' nuts. x"

Oh..Grans...bad is modern vernacular fer spiffing or some erstwhile badinadge..

Have thee a epiphany tucked up yer stocking tops....gazing into a buttercup and realising the interconnectness of life....mabye not that...

Yeah...nuts are bad %**

King's Crustacean

Have thee a epiphany tucked up yer stocking tops....gazing into a buttercup and realising the interconnectness of life....mabye not that...

Yeah...nuts are bad %**"

Well I'm going to drink tea now and shake my fist at the X factor.

Bye for now x

By *edditchcpl69Couple  over a year ago

REDDITCH

my hubbi was in the police when the m42 crash happened, he and many of the other emergency service workers were in shock for days after. They still don't understand how many ppl walked away from that crash, and while its horrifying to think ppl died it was amazing how few did.

As I sat watching the news this morning of the crash on the M5, my heart sank for 2 reasons. 1 for all those ppl that lost their lives in such a horrific way. The families of those ppl may never find the real reason why!

2 I know this is a selfish reason but I knew I had to tell my hubbi before he saw it on the news. His reaction was to run to the loo and throw up.

To all those emergency service workers THANKYOU! An even bigger thankyou to all those other drivers that tried to help, it makes a nice change to hear of some heroes trying to do good, rather than rioters, looters and muggers.

THANKYOU!!!

I was about 100 yards away from the second explosion in Warrington the day before Mother's Day 1993 .

Very scary and I saw a lot of things that day that are hard to forget

Yeah...nuts are bad %**

Well I'm going to drink tea now and shake my fist at the X factor.

Bye for now x "

It`ll rot yer brain Grans....but enjoy x

"my hubbi was in the police when the m42 crash happened, he and many of the other emergency service workers were in shock for days after. They still don't understand how many ppl walked away from that crash, and while its horrifying to think ppl died it was amazing how few did.

As I sat watching the news this morning of the crash on the M5, my heart sank for 2 reasons. 1 for all those ppl that lost their lives in such a horrific way. The families of those ppl may never find the real reason why!

2 I know this is a selfish reason but I knew I had to tell my hubbi before he saw it on the news. His reaction was to run to the loo and throw up.

To all those emergency service workers THANKYOU! An even bigger thankyou to all those other drivers that tried to help, it makes a nice change to hear of some heroes trying to do good, rather than rioters, looters and muggers.

THANKYOU!!! "

The good in us ..is never far away ...most of us are amix of beauty and the beast...but I get yer...

And its salutory to remembr the scars of those that help out in tragedy...

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

do you think it is a good idea to increase the speed limit on motorways?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"do you think it is a good idea to increase the speed limit on motorways?"

no need to, most of us if we are honest exceed the 70 by about 10 mph.

put it up to 80 and its 90.

modern vehicles are way safer than even a decade ago which may explain why as a trend deaths on the roads have declined over the last 20 years, given the increase in numbers of vehicles during the same time.

Thoughts go to the families of those still not yet accounted for.

"do you think it is a good idea to increase the speed limit on motorways?"

I can`t make up my mind...although in honesty I rarely drive below 75 on a motorway....

Sounds indulgent and egotistical...but I drive fast, where appropriatte...and consider myself a good driver...30 years daily commuting on a motorbike helps I guess...

Most drivers are either to aggressive or unaware of the road conditions...and raising the limit with those in mind...welll ?...

I`m veering towards no....tho thats an opinion swayed by last night I fancy...

I helped out at the scene of a car crash on the A50 a few years ago. The things I saw and dealt with that day will stay with me forever and I have sincere admiration for the emergency services, they deal with it daily.

My condolences to all those families affected by yesterdays events.

"do you think it is a good idea to increase the speed limit on motorways?

I can`t make up my mind...although in honesty I rarely drive below 75 on a motorway....

Sounds indulgent and egotistical...but I drive fast, where appropriatte...and consider myself a good driver...30 years daily commuting on a motorbike helps I guess...

Most drivers are either to aggressive or unaware of the road conditions...and raising the limit with those in mind...welll ?...

"

The max speed should have been raised to 80mph years ago. The amount of times I've seen people slam their brakes on when a police car is in the vicinity and then drive below 70mph (just in case like) - it drives me feckin mental.

Don't you think that people will just drive at 90 rather than 80 like they do now and will still slam the anchors on when they pass the rozzers?

The same as now, just 10 miles an hour faster?

was once in a very bad car crash in which a friend died. Since then I've always known any day can be your last. I also learned not to obsess over it. It's all a roll of the dice.

My heart goes out to the families as the loss of a loved one is an unbearable 'unfairness'. Today will be a very tough day for them !

"do you think it is a good idea to increase the speed limit on motorways?

The max speed should have been raised to 80mph years ago. The amount of times I've seen people slam their brakes on when a police car is in the vicinity and then drive below 70mph (just in case like) - it drives me feckin mental. "

Surrey made a good point tho....80 really means 90...some of us would stretch the boundaries...I`d be tempted...

Its the retards at 50 mph that are the scourge of my tolerance..especially in wet weather...all the atric`s in the middle lane by default..

I`ve said it before...why we never have any formal training before we get on a motorway...is quite beyond me...there`s a different etiquette and awareness required in my eyes...I learn`t from an old workmate...valuable lessons..

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Don't you think that people will just drive at 90 rather than 80 like they do now and will still slam the anchors on when they pass the rozzers?

The same as now, just 10 miles an hour faster?"

yep and their reaction time will be slower and the 'vehicle impact's' will be correspondingly higher given all the factors which are prevelant in an rtc.

more people will die

Dreadful.

Allegedly there was thick fog, and I can't help to think about numpties who use their fog lights inappropriately, and those who do not turn on their headlights in the fog.

And those who drive too close or too fast.

I once foolishly followed a van and tried to overtake a lorry on a single carriageway, without realising the van was not going to leave me enough room to get in.

I had to rev my car up in order to overtake the van as well, and narrowly escaped being hit by an on-coming car!

I don't make that mistake again!

I nearly died about fifteen years ago was in intensive care and isolation through a bug I picked up abroad

Ever since then I've viewed life lightheartedly

Ya only here fa a finite time ya might as well just do it xx

"I nearly died about fifteen years ago was in intensive care and isolation through a bug I picked up abroad

Ever since then I've viewed life lightheartedly

Ya only here fa a finite time ya might as well just do it xx "

How many times do we see peeps that survive the big C or something similar....and have this zest fer life...almost like a rebirth...makes yer think or remember ...

Aye it makes ya realise a lot xx

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

In 1989, I was deputy GM of a hotel in Suffolk. One morning on a day off, I heard the Fire Alarms sound at around 8am!

I lived-in, and dressing quickly, I made my way to the Fire Warden point to find the Duty Manager (one of our Directors) sorting out the evacuation, checking of all bedrooms etc.

He despatched me to one particular section of bedrooms on the floor above where we were standing. But, in this stressful, maybe confused time, he made two errors.....

1. That area had already been checked and cleared.

2. It was almost directly above the seat of the fire; he'd been told that but he forgot!

The last thing I remember was entering a smoke filled corridor, diverting into a bedroom to soak a towel in water to put round my face and getting on my hands and knees to crawl down that corridor..............

The next thing I recall was waking up in an ambulance, hearing lots of sirens: this turned out to be Police cars trying to clear a way through the morning rush hour traffic for the ambulance I was in!

I ended up in hospital with scorched airways and linings from my throat to my lungs. I was in hospital for two weeks, during which time, my employers after an investigation, decided I was to blame for my injuries and dismissed me, for malingering and feigning injuries.

Bloody hell, the lawyers had a field day with that!!

It has taken 20 years for those injuries to heal except for one part of my throat which won't heal. Thus I'm allergic to spices, gas propellant aerosol products, tobacco smoke, aircon systems, perfumes, aftershave, and sometime even my own laughter!

But I owe a debt of gratitude to the firemen who got me out when they did, otherwise I wouldn't be on here tonight.

Since then, I've been a stickler for Fire Safety and relevant training at all jobs I've worked at.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Life runs too fast as it is. Let's not make it run any faster.

ive had anaphalactic shock froma waasp sting ...i nearly died and mylife actually flashed before me like a movie ..... i know how fragile our hold on life is ..i also had a friend of 32 years old collapse and die at my feet from sudden adult death ...icouldnt save her ,,it does colour the rest of your life in many ways

By *thwalescplCouple  over a year ago

brecon

"Reminds me to be the person my mum wanted me to be..."

Holy shit, real lump in the throat moment.

By *rystal Tipps - AlistairCouple  over a year ago

livingston

This tragic event that happened on friday evening, just shows how quickly thing can happen. As a professional driver i see drivers doing things when they are driving without thinking what their actions might cause, usually they are either drivers of certain types of car or boy racers showing of to their friends. Raising the speed limit might be the answer but when companies are trying to save money by restricting truck speed from between 50 and 56mph are they going to increase there speed also because if this was not to happen,i think that there might be more accidents on the roads.

Our thought are with the familys of those that were killed as well as injured

» Add a new message to this topic